Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,499,504 Views | 13684 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ChemAg15
BustUpAChiffarobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is my collection, using old photos because I'm lazy.

Oris Carlos Coste Cenote

Breitling Super Avenger

Rolex Deepsea Seadweller

Rolex Explorer II 216570

Rolex Milgauss GV

Zenith Stratos El Primero

Ball Nedu

Grand Seiko SBGX117

Longines Master Collection Retrograde Moonphase

Omega POC 9300

Omega SMPC Chrono 44mm Blue

Tag Heuer 1887 Chrono 43mm

I also have (but not pictured) a Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and a Seiko Astron chrono blue.

Farmer1906
AG
You gotta get some variety in your life.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I love ceramic bezels; I scratched the steel of my Explorer II and it was like a death in the family. Ceramic bezels are strong as hell and don't scuff.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Do what you want - but I would be hesitant to buy a Rolex on ebay.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, spend the extra to get a sure thing from Thanh or David or some of the other guys that do this for a living instead of trying to save a few bucks.

Just my $0.02 FWIW.
RVAg02
AG
I've determined my watch game is incredibly weak by comparison to you guys.
David_Puddy
AG
quote:
Do what you want - but I would be hesitant to buy a Rolex on ebay.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, spend the extra to get a sure thing from Thanh or David or some of the other guys that do this for a living instead of trying to save a few bucks.

Just my $0.02 FWIW.

Oh I agree with you 100%.....I'm not dropping $9k on something unless I get to see it in person first. Just saying that I imagine that I can find one in better condition at that price if I looked around a little.
RVAg02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thinking I may pull the trigger on this guy in the coming weeks.....

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=482233

Found one on ebay brand new with box & papers for just over that price. With that scratch on the crystal, I'd be heistant to pay that much. Thanks for posting that though.
Agree about the scratch. Mostly posted it because I don't see that combo much and you just mentioned it. I also agree with the above poster's concern re: eBay.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
I love ceramic bezels; I scratched the steel of my Explorer II and it was like a death in the family. Ceramic bezels are strong as hell and don't scuff.
All good. Whatever you like. So much chrono and dive.

I feel bad having 2 sporty Rolex with the same movement.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I use a site that searches a lot of the sales forums:

watchrecon.com

That will kind of help you determine what the used and new market is.

It looks like for the reference you have, 116613ln, new is $10,700 and used is $9k-$10k.
RVAg02
AG
Any suggestions on someone in Houston to swap out the dial on my Datejust? Don't want the diamonds anymore.
Texaggie7nine
Here's my question with all that.

I have no idea your level of wealth, and don't really intend to pry into that, but as for the watches you listed, going roughly off quick googling that collection, if purchased new would run you around $50k or more. If you were good at getting deals maybe you could get them collectively for the 30-40k range.

Still, that is a damn fine car. That is a damn fine boat. That is several jetskis or 4wheelers. That is 3 or 4 damn good international vacations.

I really just fail to see why having so many high end watches beats all those other things.
7nine
Guitarsoup
AG
Cars, boats and Jetskis are going to depreciate something fierce.
Diggity
AG
you don't buy these things all at once. That's why it's called a collection.
Texaggie7nine
Personally used watches depreciate for me. I don't care if it's a 50k watch and how much it was cleaned. It had some other dudes dead skin caked on it at some point.

Beyond that, is reselling watches in your collection something common? If not, what's the point if it doesn't depreciate other than the fact that if you ever got desperate you could make a lot of your $ back? Just because it's worth 10k, if you never sell it, all it is is a hunk of metal on your wrist or on your dresser.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
quote:
you don't buy these things all at once. That's why it's called a collection.
I get that, I was just pointing out that saving the $ instead of getting teh watch every couple years adds up to some pretty nice things you can do. But hey, if that's pocket change to you, I understand.
7nine
schmendeler
AG
Yeah, I like watches, but I would have to be pretty wealthy to have $50k of watch hanging around the house.
Farmer1906
AG
I have sold 4 watches in my collection so idk about him but flipping them or getting tired of certain watches happen. Or sometimes I just like a certain watch better and need funds to get it.
Ag_07
AG
I kind of see both sides

Yeah I would probably rather have a few nice vacations, but at the same time those are very nice watches that can be resold if he'd like or handed down as family keepsakes.

Not my cup of tea but I certainly understand the allure of horology.
Diggity
AG
people choose to spend their money on different things. I think it's ridiculous when my wife wants to drop big money on purses or shoes, but that's what she enjoys.

I have certainly never spent near that much money on watches, because I can't afford to, but I don't see any issue with someone who can and does.

You act like buying a jet ski is some really practical purchase in the first place. I would take the nice watch 10 times out of 10 and use someone else's jet ski the one time a year I care to ride one.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Personally used watches depreciate for me. I don't care if it's a 50k watch and how much it was cleaned. It had some other dudes dead skin caked on it at some point.

Beyond that, is reselling watches in your collection something common? If not, what's the point if it doesn't depreciate other than the fact that if you ever got desperate you could make a lot of your $ back? Just because it's worth 10k, if you never sell it, all it is is a hunk of metal on your wrist or on your dresser.
Lots of people sell watches, especially people that have collections.

You see lots of people sell to upgrade.

Lots of people start with a Tag or something like that, then sell it to get an Omega or a Rolex when they can. Maybe they have an entry Rolex like an Oyster Perpetual or DayDate and sell that to get a Sub or something nicer.

I've worn my PO for ~5 years, but could probably get out close to what I paid for it if not what I paid for it just because it doesn't depreciate much at all and they are still very in demand.

All depends on what watch you buy and what you like. All my Rolexes are worth far more than when my grandfather bought them.

I also think it is pretty awesome to have my great-great grandfather's pocket watch, my great grandfather, grandfather and father's Rolexes. All that can be passed down to my son someday. I bought my Omega to mark a career milestone and plan to pass that down to my son someday. I think there is something special about family watches.
Texaggie7nine
I agree, if you can afford it I'm not knocking it. I'm just trying to understand it.

All the talk about movements, ect. Some of the highest priced watches I've seen are basic 2 hands with a second counter and maybe a date. You can't see inside the watch to see the movement really. Can you really see anything noticeable in the visible moving parts on the face between a $50 watch and a $10k one?

If not, you are telling me that just knowing in your head that the movement is different inside is worth all that extra cash?
7nine
Texaggie7nine
I can get watches with personal legacy passed down from the family. But if I pass down my $150 invicta to my kids and grandkids? I would hope the value they see in it is more about who wore it than the name on the watch.
7nine
jh0400
AG
The hand-me-down thing is a hell of a marketing gimmick.

It's too bad that I don't have to worry about this.
Diggity
AG
I'm sure you could (and would) argue for days about this, but people have different interests. It doesn't have to make sense to everyone.
Guitarsoup
AG
Assuming your Invicta is still running in 50 years. My grandfather bought my great grandfather his Rolex in 1959. It still runs perfectly today and was barely worn in the past 40 years after he died.

You can definitely see the difference in the way the hands move in a $50 watch and a $5000 watch. That may not matter to you at all.

But at the end of the day, a watch is jewelry. I wear a wedding band, an Aggie ring and a watch. That's it. Women will accessorize with bracelets, necklaces, rings, purses, etc. I have a watch I can wear the rest of my life that costs a hell of a lot less than all the jewelry and purses that they will wear the rest of their lives.
captkirk
AG
quote:
Diver on a nato strap. You like the watch or the strap?
The watch. What brand?
captkirk
AG
quote:
Any suggestions on someone in Houston to swap out the dial on my Datejust? Don't want the diamonds anymore.
Hal Martins
Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
The hand-me-down thing is a hell of a marketing gimmick.

People were handing down watches long before it was marketed. That's why I have a really nice pocket watch that is well over 100 years old.
RVAg02
AG
quote:
quote:
Hal Martins
Thanks. Wondered if they could do that.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:

I have no idea your level of wealth, and don't really intend to pry into that, but as for the watches you listed, going roughly off quick googling that collection, if purchased new would run you around $50k or more. If you were good at getting deals maybe you could get them collectively for the 30-40k range.

Still, that is a damn fine car. That is a damn fine boat. That is several jetskis or 4wheelers. That is 3 or 4 damn good international vacations.

I really just fail to see why having so many high end watches beats all those other things.
It's a collection I've assembled over the last 9 years or so since graduation. I'm not so worried about how much I spent on them; but how much good the money could be used to do. A Monsignor who does missionary work in Haiti came to speak during announcements at mass a while back and mentioned that you can build a house for a family of 4 and feed them for a year for $1400; so I could basically feed and house 140 haitians for a year for what I've got collecting dust in a bunch of watch winders. It does make me feel guilty; but I would take such a bath on them unloading them and donating the money to charity it would be ridiculous; or at least that's the rationalization I use to keep them; because I do really like them.
captkirk
AG
My collection - stock photos:

I Am A Critic
quote:

This is pretty funny coming from someone too lazy to go the grocery store on his own and would rather pay someone else to do it for him.
Texaggie7nine
I don't see the comparison there.

I'm not paying 10-20x more for groceries to not have to go through going to the store myself. It's not about aesthetics either.
7nine
RVAg02
AG
Hi Tudor Black Bay Heritage Red. How you doin'?
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.