Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,499,140 Views | 13684 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by ChemAg15
FalconAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Picking up my blue omega world timer on rubber later today. The detail on the globe is ridiculous
aTm2004
AG
One of my Top 5 guilty pleasure movies.
aTm2004
AG
RVAg02 said:

How long until you think I can get a Pepsi on steel jubilee for less than 10?

Never. The old ones are going for >$10k now, and the demand for a ceramic one was off the charts. Wouldn't surprise me if Rolex stopped the Pepsi and introduced a Coke in its place, which will only drive up demand more. Some watch people are worse than phone people.
RVAg02
AG
aTm2004 said:

RVAg02 said:

Never. The old ones are going for >$10k now, and the demand for a ceramic one was off the charts. Wouldn't surprise me if Rolex stopped the Pepsi and introduced a Coke in its place, which will only drive up demand more. Some watch people are worse than phone people.

What I figured.
FTAC2011
AG
aTm2004 said:

RVAg02 said:

Not sure what you mean here but I'll say from a grey market sellers point of view, I'm not buying Pepsi's at retail and flipping them for 8k profit once a month. I buy at as close to wholesale price (which is way above retail) as I can and resell. Most of the time my margins on deals are $500 or less.

The people that everyone should be mad at are the ADs who purposely hold back the high demand watches in order to capitalize on people willing to spend money on other watches or jewelry. The ADs are the ones profiting the most 10 fold, not the "watch guys" in your scenario. Not trying to be combative just want to share my point of view in the business.
aTm2004
AG
FTAC2011 said:

aTm2004 said:

RVAg02 said:

Not sure what you mean here but I'll say from a grey market sellers point of view, I'm not buying Pepsi's at retail and flipping them for 8k profit once a month. I buy at as close to wholesale price (which is way above retail) as I can and resell. Most of the time my margins on deals are $500 or less.

The people that everyone should be mad at are the ADs who purposely hold back the high demand watches in order to capitalize on people willing to spend money on other watches or jewelry. The ADs are the ones profiting the most 10 fold, not the "watch guys" in your scenario. Not trying to be combative just want to share my point of view in the business.
You answered what I meant by the bolded. There are people who want to have the latest and greatest and will pay the price the ADs want, which further drives up demand and the price. I used phone people as an example, because they may have gotten the iPhone 11 Pro less than a year ago and are now upgrading to the 12 Pro for no other reason that to have the latest and greatest, even though they'll justify it somehow. And who am I to say their justification is wrong? I'm a watch guy and can justify spending hundreds or thousands on a watch vs. buying a Citizen and being content.

Maybe a better comparison would be car guys. Let's say Ford announces they're going to release a new Shelby Mustang in 2021, so people will go get on the list and know they're going to pay a premium over the MSRP.
FTAC2011
AG
Got it.. I thought you were talking about sellers (watches and phones) but you were talking about the buyers.

Thanks for the clarification.
Daytona22
AG
FTAC2011 said:

TitanAGGIE09 said:

That Daytona you just posted is fantastic looking

Seriously the best! Thanks for following!

This watch is beautiful...
Farmer1906
AG
Daytona22 said:

FTAC2011 said:

TitanAGGIE09 said:

That's debatable.
lb sand
AG
Daytona22 said:

FTAC2011 said:

TitanAGGIE09 said:

meh, rubber band
2/10 wnb

FalconAg06
So I ended up not getting the worldtimer. The AD changed the price at the last second. Said they had found out they weren't getting any more, so they couldn't discount. Really sad state of affairs. I still wanted the watch, but couldn't stand the bait and switch.
FTAC2011
AG
FalconAg06 said:

So I ended up not getting the worldtimer. The AD changed the price at the last second. Said they had found out they weren't getting any more, so they couldn't discount. Really sad state of affairs. I still wanted the watch, but couldn't stand the bait and switch.

Pm me I can probably get you new for your price
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Daytona22 said:

FTAC2011 said:

TitanAGGIE09 said:

That's debatable.

I can only imagine how big a buzzkill you are irl.
Farmer1906
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Farmer1906 said:

Daytona22 said:

FTAC2011 said:

TitanAGGIE09 said:

That's debatable.

I can only imagine how big a buzzkill you are irl.

Sorry for not just going with the crowd and having my own opinion. Enjoy your poop colored rubber watch.
schmendeler
AG
I know the Daytona is the next level in comparison, but give me the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch instead any day.

Now, I wouldn't be mad about having both. But no Rose gold, only white or yellow Daytona please.
RVAg02
AG
So Moonwatch over base Daytona?

Is it the history, size...? What makes you like it more?

Just curious.
BoDog
AG
The Speedy (specifically speedmaster professional) is a solid iconic watch. It is true that it isnt in the same ballpark as the Daytona, but for around $4500 it is tough to beat. I am a Rolex/Tudor guy but my speedmaster is one of the few watches I never get tired of.
schmendeler
AG
RVAg02 said:

So Moonwatch over base Daytona?

Is it the history, size...? What makes you like it more?

Just curious.
The history is a big part, but honestly, the design is my platonic ideal of a chronograph.
RVAg02
AG
I love the history of the speedy.
aTm2004
AG
If Omega introduced a Speedmaster Moonwatch with the black bezel and white face without Snoopy, it would be hard for me to not get one. The Speedmaster Racing is close to what I want, but not quite there. Give it a 3rd subdial and no date...<chef's kiss>

FHKChE07
AG
I would kill for a Snoopy moonwatch. But the reality is I would have to kill someone in order to afford a Snoopy.
Guitarsoup
AG
FHKChE07 said:

I would kill for a Snoopy moonwatch. But the reality is I would have to kill someone in order to afford a Snoopy.

I believe in you. You can do it. It will definitely be worth it
aTm2004
AG
Just not my cup of tea when it comes to a watch that costs several thousand dollars. Something in the $500 range? Sure. I've thought about getting one of the Citizen Mickey Mouse watches.

TXAG 05
AG
BoDog said:

The Speedy (specifically speedmaster professional) is a solid iconic watch. It is true that it isnt in the same ballpark as the Daytona, but for around $4500 it is tough to beat. I am a Rolex/Tudor guy but my speedmaster is one of the few watches I never get tired of.

What makes the Speedmaster not the same ballpark as the Daytona?
BoDog
AG
Internal movement for one. Go to YouTube and do a search. There are a host of videos that breakdown the differences. Some subtle and some not so subtle.
BoDog
AG
Im really weird. I am a die hard Rolex guy, but just have never got excited about the Daytona. Now, show me a Platinum Daytona and I will drool all over the place....
aTm2004
AG
The Daytonas never did anything for me, but the ceramic with a white dial changed my mind. Love that watch.
FHKChE07
AG
Speaking of Daytonas...

https://www.phillips.com/auctions/auction/NY080120

A Paul Newman Daytona and THE Steve McQueen 'Le Mans' Heuer Monaco. I like my Gulf Monaco better than the Blue Monaco but for McQueen's Monaco, that is incredible.
FTAC2011
AG
Not sure if TexAgs will like the style of this one. Yay or nay? Happy Halloween
BoDog
AG
Solid watch. Not my speed, but nice!!!
TXAG 05
AG
I like it. I think it would look better with a white face and steel case though.
FalconAg06
I love FP Journe, but that ain't it chief
BBRex
AG
That looks amazing!
schmendeler
AG
I like F.P. Journe but not my favorite of theirs.
jh0400
AG
Any advice on finding a specific year of manufacture watch? I've been trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger on a Speedmaster Professional, and I'd love to have a vintage model from 1981 as a 40th birthday gift to myself next year.
First Page Last Page
Page 78 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.