Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,500,860 Views | 13690 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by jh0400
FTAC2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As some of you know, I buy, sell, and trade a lot. Just received this in the mail. It's a fake Rolex. I circled the areas that gave it away to me, but to be honest I couldn't tell it was fake from looking at it on the outside.

In summary, be careful who you buy from and what you're buying. Fakes are really really good these days

schmendeler
AG
Is that a piece of wire on the balance spring?
FTAC2011
AG
I think that's just something with the pic I don't remember wire being there
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
That's sharp.
The iwc porsche ocean 2000 is on my short list
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I've read some pretty crazy reviews on some of the fakes now. Did you purposely buy this to check it out or did someone try to pull something over?
schmendeler
AG
That's a really distinctive piece. Not usually a fan of integrated bracelets but that's interesting.
schmendeler
AG
Curious as well
Duck Blind
AG
Added to my collection.

I now have a 1997 Explorer II, 2019 GMT Pepsi and a 2020 Stainless Submariner with date. Batman is next up (I had it and freaking sold it).
FTAC2011
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

I've read some pretty crazy reviews on some of the fakes now. Did you purposely buy this to check it out or did someone try to pull something over?

Someone sold it to me saying it was real. And I paid real Rolex $$. Not sure if the tried to pull one on me or if they got scammed. Supposed to talk to them in the AM, but I should get my money back
aTm2004
AG
That sucks man. I hope you're able to get your money back. That was one of my biggest fears when I bought my 16610 since I preferred the classic design over the ceramics. I watched sellers on TRF for a couple of years until I felt comfortable enough to buy from a few, and pulled the trigger on one. The day I got it, I took it up to the local AD, who opened the case back and authenticated it for me. The weight that was lifted off my shoulders was immense.
FTAC2011
AG
aTm2004 said:

That sucks man. I hope you're able to get your money back. That was one of my biggest fears when I bought my 16610 since I preferred the classic design over the ceramics. I watched sellers on TRF for a couple of years until I felt comfortable enough to buy from a few, and pulled the trigger on one. The day I got it, I took it up to the local AD, who opened the case back and authenticated it for me. The weight that was lifted off my shoulders was immense.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. I just took it up to the local pawn shop just to show the owner and the guy told me he probably would have bought it as it's that good. Honestly, though this isn't even the best fake I've seen.
BBRex
AG
That's one of the reasons I went to an AD and bought a new Tudor rather than dipping into the used Rolex market. I didn't feel knowledgeable enough to make a purchase.
FTAC2011
AG
BBRex said:

That's one of the reasons I went to an AD and bought a new Tudor rather than dipping into the used Rolex market. I didn't feel knowledgeable enough to make a purchase.

I would definitely buy from an AD if you don't have someone you trust.
schmendeler
AG
what about jomashop?
Diggity
AG
I would "hope" if you took the watch to a reputable dealer/repair guy and they opened it up, they should be able to tell if it's fake.

Some of the fakes are getting really good. People will pay hundreds, if not thousands for them, which is crazy to me
BBRex
AG
I've heard good things about Jomashop, but they weren't doing as much with the used market when I was ready to buy.
FTAC2011
AG
Diggity said:

I would "hope" if you took the watch to a reputable dealer/repair guy and they opened it up, they should be able to tell if it's fake.

Some of the fakes are getting really good. People will pay hundreds, if not thousands for them, which is crazy to me

The guy I bought it from said he had 6 people in his network say it was real, but I agree. I immediately knew it was fake the second I opened it up.
FTAC2011
AG
schmendeler said:

what about jomashop?

Depends on what you're buying. They are reputable, but they hold back manufacturer warranty Cards which significantly lowers the value of the watches. If you're looking for anything in particular shoot me a dm. I can help you find it or if you want to buy off a website I can tell you if it's worth it or not.
Diggity
AG
is it the warranty itself that lowers the value, or just because it makes them harder to authenticate? seems like they're usually a year or two, which to me doesn't have a ton of value since I've never had a watch fail that quickly.

FTAC2011
AG
Diggity said:

is it the warranty itself that lowers the value, or just because it makes them harder to authenticate? seems like they're usually a year or two, which to me doesn't have a ton of value since I've never had a watch fail that quickly.

It's the actual warranty card itself. With something like a Hamilton or a longines it wont matter much, but if you're buying a rolex, Tudor, Breitling, omega, etc. you will want manufacturers warranty card if you're already spending that amount. The manufacturers warranty is longer and resale value (if you ever sell) is higher and easier when it has the actual warranty card versus a jomashop warranty.

Edit: not really about authentication. it helps... but Even warranty cards are faked these days
Diggity
AG
gothca....looks like Omega bumped their warranty to five years now, which ain't bad.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
FTAC2011 said:

schmendeler said:

what about jomashop?

Depends on what you're buying. They are reputable, but they hold back manufacturer warranty Cards which significantly lowers the value of the watches. If you're looking for anything in particular shoot me a dm. I can help you find it or if you want to buy off a website I can tell you if it's worth it or not.
What's the reason for this?
Diggity
AG
They're not an authorized dealer
aTm2004
AG
FTAC2011 said:

Diggity said:

It's the actual warranty card itself. With something like a Hamilton or a longines it wont matter much, but if you're buying a rolex, Tudor, Breitling, omega, etc. you will want manufacturers warranty card if you're already spending that amount. The manufacturers warranty is longer and resale value (if you ever sell) is higher and easier when it has the actual warranty card versus a jomashop warranty.

Edit: not really about authentication. it helps... but Even warranty cards are faked these days
From what I've seen on the gray and used market, those with box and papers usually have a premium attached to it. Mine even still had the stickers on it as it was someone's safe queen.
schmendeler
AG
FTAC2011 said:

schmendeler said:

what about jomashop?

i'm curious why they won't give you the warranty card. it isn't valid for the warranty if it's not stamped with the info of an AD, right? so it's not like there is something you could do with it.
Diggity
AG
I believe the warranty cards are filled out with the AD's info. The manufacturer could cut off whichever AD sold their surplus to the gray market dealer as that's a violation of their distribution agreement.
schmendeler
AG
Diggity said:

I believe the warranty cards are filled out with the AD's info. The manufacturer could cut off whichever AD sold their surplus to the gray market dealer as that's a violation of their distribution agreement.
i mean, the Oris i just got came with a blank AD section on the warranty card. just for ****s and giggles, i tried to register it on their website, and it recognized the serial number (properly identified the model) but wouldn't let me register without inputting an AD.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
FTAC2011,

Did you get a refund for the fake watch? I'm curious how it was handled with the seller.
FTAC2011
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

FTAC2011,

Did you get a refund for the fake watch? I'm curious how it was handled with the seller.

I've been messaging back and forth but I bought it from a pawn shop in North Carolina. I paid PayPal goods and services and with a credit card for extra protection, but the pawn shop agreed to the return. I shipped the watch back this morning and they are going to refund me when they receive it.
FTAC2011
AG
schmendeler said:

FTAC2011 said:

schmendeler said:

what about jomashop?

i'm curious why they won't give you the warranty card. it isn't valid for the warranty if it's not stamped with the info of an AD, right? so it's not like there is something you could do with it.

They do with certain brands, but with luxury brands they hold it back and it's to keep their relationship with the AD safe from what I understand. If a buyer bought from jomashop at a premium and it had the AD information on there they could report to rolex or whoever that that AD is selling to grey market knowingly instead of retail customers.
schmendeler
AG
FTAC2011 said:

schmendeler said:

FTAC2011 said:

schmendeler said:

what about jomashop?

They do with certain brands, but with luxury brands they hold it back and it's to keep their relationship with the AD safe from what I understand. If a buyer bought from jomashop at a premium and it had the AD information on there they could report to rolex or whoever that that AD is selling to grey market knowingly instead of retail customers.
i see. i guess i didn't fully understand where these were getting sourced from.
aTm2004
AG
That's great to hear and that speaks volumes for that pawn shop.
Idk3
AG
Anybody have a watch repair recommendation in The Woodlands, Spring or Tomball area?
FTAC2011
AG
WhiteWalker3 said:

Anybody have a watch repair recommendation in The Woodlands, Spring or Tomball area?

Watch hospital on 1960 guy is pretty good

What do you need done?
Idk3
AG
Thanks, I will look them up. My Speedmaster won't wind
First Page Last Page
Page 72 of 392

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.