Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,496,727 Views | 13672 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Serotonin
Towns03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

http://davidsw.com

This guy is the man. I've bought five watches from him.

These gray market dealers only accept wires for the most part but all my transactions have been flawless. He was even able to track down a certain serial sub for me that took him several weeks. If the wire is received before 5pm, the watch is in Texas by 11am the next morning.

http://www.takuyawatches.com

Thanh can meet you in Houston and you can do a f2f deal with him if you prefer. He's a nice guy and I've done several deals with him - mostly trades.

Both of these guys only deal with authentic watches and have superb reputations.
Kurt, I'm in the market for a Rolex - either a 116200 or a 214270. David seems to have some that are new in box. does that make sense? where did they come from? should I be concerned about the age or original purchase location? how do you get to a comfortable place with such a big buy?

thanks for your advice. It looks like there are a lot of experienced watch buyers here!
Towns03
AG
I just got off the phone with the Rolex store in the galleria. He suggested I hold off until March. He says there's a big watch convention and a new movement and maybe new configurations/colors will be released. Anyone with input? Is it a good idea to jump in with a new movement?

Kurt Gowdy
AG
David is a gray dealer. If he says the it's BNIB then he got it from an authorized dealer. If it's "like new" he most likely got it in on a trade.

With regards to age, the new series system doesn't allow us to track production years anymore though I would not be concerned at all purchasing from David. His online reputation is flawless.

With regards to getting comfortable, the adage in the online watch business is "buy the seller". David's reputation on therolexforum is impeccable. Of course there's some concern after you initiate the wire. But that quickly goes away after you get the email with the package shipping.

With regards to Basel, the big watch show, I'm not sure there will be any changes to the two watches you're interested in. Even if there was, you'd be waiting for 24-36 months to get a new Basel release at MSRP unless you'd be willing to pay the gray market markup. Rolex keep their new stuff pretty close to the vest. They'll release some teasers on the week leading up, but all the current projections are just guesses.

If you're dead set on those two models, buy them today.
captkirk
AG
David is awesome. I've bought and traded with him numerous times without issue
aTm2004
AG
Towns03 said:

I just got off the phone with the Rolex store in the galleria. He suggested I hold off until March. He says there's a big watch convention and a new movement and maybe new configurations/colors will be released. Anyone with input? Is it a good idea to jump in with a new movement?

Baselworld. It's the watch world's version of the Detroit Auto Show. All of the new models and surprises are released there for all brands...expensive and affordable. This is also where Rolex reintroduced the world (mainly US) to Tudor, which is an awesome brand.

Not sure about a movement, but Rolex has had some model changes in the most recent ones (Pepsi last year, BLRO about 5 years ago, DJ41, etc).
BBRex
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

David is a gray dealer. If he says the it's BNIB then he got it from an authorized dealer. If it's "like new" he most likely got it in on a trade.

With regards to age, the new series system doesn't allow us to track production years anymore though I would not be concerned at all purchasing from David. His online reputation is flawless.

With regards to getting comfortable, the adage in the online watch business is "buy the seller". David's reputation on therolexforum is impeccable. Of course there's some concern after you initiate the wire. But that quickly goes away after you get the email with the package shipping.

With regards to Basel, the big watch show, I'm not sure there will be any changes to the two watches you're interested in. Even if there was, you'd be waiting for 24-36 months to get a new Basel release at MSRP unless you'd be willing to pay the gray market markup. Rolex keep their new stuff pretty close to the vest. They'll release some teasers on the week leading up, but all the current projections are just guesses.

If you're dead set on those two models, buy them today.

Saw a great meme yesterday that said "You never really own a Rolex you just hold a spot on the waitlist for the next generation."

If you want to wear it anytime soon, you might as well get it now.
BoDog
AG
How much is David willing to "work" with me on price?
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Anyone got a watch winder they prefer? I had a double that I inherited that finally stopped working. Reviews are kind of all over the place
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

David seems to have some that are new in box. does that make sense? where did they come from? should I be concerned about the age or original purchase location? how do you get to a comfortable place with such a big buy?
There are several NIB watches out there that are current models as well as previous. They come from all sorts of places (AD's, collectors, safes, etc). If it's a current model and you're seeing it from a guy like David, he may have a hookup at some ADs who are willing to give him a deep discount due to the volume he probably buys from them. Currently, SS Subs are pretty hard to find at an AD due to demand, so he may be able to get the first call when one arrives at an AD and get it for a modest discount, and due to demand, charge a premium for it.

I bought my Sub NIB (it was a previous generation since I don't like the ceramics) from a gray market dealer. He bought it along with a Daytona and Date Just from the original owner who bought them and literally sat them in a safe and never wore them. It came with everything from the warranty card down to the original receipt...Jared's in San Antonio. When I got it, before I took the plastics off, I took it to an AD in my area and they popped the back and authenticated it. It was a big relief, trust me. Plastics came off, they sized it, and I went about my day.
captkirk
AG
Depends on the watch and how high the demand. He can move a little on some of them
Post removed:
by user
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I'd venture to say he won't "work" with you very much unless you can find a comparable piece from a seller as good as him (takayu, ocrolexguy, lawerenceb, etc).
JSKolache
AG
+1 for DavidSW. Picked up my Tudor from his site last year. Price was better than most, and you pay shipping. Would use again.
Towns03
AG
Has anyone used Bob's Watches? What is their reputation like? they have one that could work.
captkirk
AG
Towns03 said:

Has anyone used Bob's Watches? What is their reputation like? they have one that could work.
I get emails from them from time to time. They seem way overpriced
BoDog
AG
Does anyone have experience buying watches in Vegas-specifically the rolex, swiss watch boutiques at the forum shops, etc.

I am wondering if they discount or are willing to haggle a little on price? Because they are new, I would assume the answer is no, but I'd thought I would ask.
aTm2004
AG
Buddy bought a DJ2 from the AD in the Mirage. If he had it shipped, he wouldn't have paid tax. But he wore it out. They didn't move much in the price.
Farmer1906
AG
You need to buy more chronos.
Towns03
AG
Whelp, I went and did it. An AD (Rolex authorized dealer) in Port Arthur had one of the watches I was interested in - the Explorer 214270. I passed through on the way to a site visit and picked it up.

First impression: it's more comfortable than I thought possible. The 'easy link' adjustment is awesome and I wouldn't have done this without it.

Second thing I noticed: THE LUME SUCKS! How did I miss this? by 7PM it was too dark to see the dial at all. Part of me was pissed and wanted to return the thing (probably not possible) and go right back to my low-sperm-count tritium Luminox. -Really disappointing. I honestly thought this thing would do everything well. it turns out the 'lume' is just crappy glow in the dark material.

BoDog
AG
Does anybody else have a strange interest/fascination with the Submariner Smurf? Unfortunate it only comes in white gold (therefore very expensive) but damn its such a cool watch and I don't think I have ever seen anyone wearing it.
aTm2004
AG
The smurf and the kermit don't do anything for me. Now, the two-tone Blue/Gold is something different. I'm not a fan of the ceramics, but do like that combo in ceramic and love it in the older styles.
BBRex
AG
That's my grail watch. It makes me sad to hear the lume sucks.
aTm2004
AG
Well, compared to tritium, yeah. It's like driving a GT-R and then beetching that your Ferrari California isn't fast.
BBRex
AG
I have the poor man's Explorer, the Black Bay 36. The clasp and hands on the Rolex really have me really wanting it, but not sure that justifies the price.
aTm2004
AG
If you have a BB already and you're wanting to get a Rolex, look at a different model. The Explorer II is my 2nd favorite behind the Sub and aren't as in demand or priced as much as some of the other models. But Tudor has really stepped up their game and is putting out great watches.

Then again, I'm a guy who had an Omega Seamaster and bought a Sub...making it 3 black dive watches in my collection. You like what you like and can find ways to justify similar watches. BB as a daily beater and the Rolex as the weekend/going out watch.
Towns03
AG
BBRex said:

I have the poor man's Explorer, the Black Bay 36. The clasp and hands on the Rolex really have me really wanting it, but not sure that justifies the price.
Nothing justifies the price
Redstone
AG
Thank you all for turning my photo (p. 51) blue.
JSKolache
AG
aTm2004 said:

The smurf and the kermit don't do anything for me. Now, the two-tone Blue/Gold is something different. I'm not a fan of the ceramics, but do like that combo in ceramic and love it in the older styles.
Kermit over hulk.
BoDog
AG
No way. Hulk is a very cool watch-though not nearly as cool as the Smurf!!
Farmer1906
AG
Hulk >>>

And not just because it's on my wrist.
aa1101
AG
Anyone interested in an Omega Speedmaster? I have one that is less than a year old that I barely wear anymore. Not sure how to post pics but here's the link to exact model. I have the box, booklet, warranty card, etc.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-speedmaster-racing-co-axial-chronograph-40-mm-32632405003001

Post removed:
by user
aa1101
AG
I did a quick check on my phone and saw most were around $3k. I saw one on Jonashop for $2600 which was the cheapest on my quick search. I could do $2200 for another Ag.

Diggity
AG
Great looking watch!
tmas
AG
aa1101 said:

Anyone interested in an Omega Speedmaster? I have one that is less than a year old that I barely wear anymore. Not sure how to post pics but here's the link to exact model. I have the box, booklet, warranty card, etc.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-speedmaster-racing-co-axial-chronograph-40-mm-32632405003001

What band?
First Page Last Page
Page 52 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.