Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,500,429 Views | 13684 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by ChemAg15
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hypeiv said:

I only know one real diver and he wore a nylon Velcro strap while diving.

I'm a real diver. Most serious divers wear dive computers.
RK
AG
Ooooooooo.
Redstone
AG
I only wear Stauer.

Everything else is mostly terrible, except for Rolex - a brand beyond the financial capacity of posters here, sadly.
permabull
AG
schmendeler
AG
Two great posts back to back.
schmendeler
AG
Btw, isn't stauer the brand that sells their watches in magazines?
TP Ag '87
AG
Cat fight on the watch thread.

No place but TexAgs,...
Redstone
AG
A lot of the divers that ask me for watch advice don't understand - at all - the necessity of marrying practically with style and craftspersonship. They usually go on and on about garbage such as Sinn U1 Professional, Rado HyperChrome, ect.

I only use a computer, or if in a bit of a pinch, an earlier model Sea-Dweller.
Guitarsoup
AG
hypeiv said:

Guitarsoup said:

hypeiv said:

I only know one real diver and he wore a nylon Velcro strap while diving.

I'm a real diver. Most serious divers wear dive computers.

sorry I don't know you... the diver I know is a professional underwater photographer and was on the cover of national geographic, but I'll tell him he needs to start using a computer next time I talk to him.

I guarantee you he has a dive computer unless he retired in the 80s. All serious divers in the late 90s when I became a PADI Rescue Diver used one then.

It is significantly more accurate than using your tables to keep track of your levels, which you need in case you are doing multiple dives, which most serious divers do and he certainly would.
RK
AG
Still completely irrelevant to this discussion.
Redstone
AG
Amusing to see what people like. I know it's only TexAgs, and the thread here is for hobbyists, but you would think the knowledge base would be deeper.
aTm2004
AG
Why would the knowledge base be deeper? Maybe some people just buy what they like instead of choosing it based on a movement or name. Just a thought.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Redstone
AG
Yes that's true. I don't mind people buying and wearing and collecting for aesthetic reasons. But to accurately pair style with quality, class, and function is not something everyone can just do.
TP Ag '87
AG
NOW I remember why I use the Ignore feature.
Farmer1906
AG
aTm2004 said:

Why would the knowledge base be deeper? Maybe some people just buy what they like instead of choosing it based on a movement or name. Just a thought.
Like based on what? How purdy it is?

Do you buy your cars without knowing your HP, MPG, etc?
aTm2004
AG
Farmer1906 said:

aTm2004 said:

Like based on what? How purdy it is?

Do you buy your cars without knowing your HP, MPG, etc?

I buy my watches based on whether or not they're visually appealing to me and how they feel when I put it on.

For your car question...yeah. I bought my truck based on my need rather than looking to get a few extra HP or torque. My current car was based on reliability (drive a lot of miles) and MPG. I'm not buying a a car to go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds...yet.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
MemorialTXAg
Redstone said:

Yes that's true. I don't mind people buying and wearing and collecting for aesthetic reasons. But to accurately pair style with quality, class, and function is not something everyone can just do.

Says the Rolex guy...
Liquid Wrench
Redstone said:

I don't mind people buying and wearing and collecting for aesthetic reasons. But to accurately pair style with quality, class, and function is not something everyone can just do.
Now I remember why I opened this gay thread.
schmendeler
AG
I enjoy seeing people's first encounters with Redstone.
Redstone
AG
Look, this is not difficult. The evidence is here. People even post pics of their wrists!

It's fine to like what you like. Taste and desire can be subjective. However, when it comes to quality watches, class, form, and lasting function are much less so.
Liquid Wrench
schmendeler said:

I enjoy seeing people's first encounters with Redstone.
did you catch his subtle drop of "craftspersonship?"
94chem
Quote:

I don't mind people buying and wearing and collecting for aesthetic reasons.
And I don't mind people who order fries instead of onion rings. I believe it's important to extend a modicum of grace in my interpersonal relationships, even random anonymous ones.
jja79
AG
What is the minimum price or value for a watch to qualify as high end locally?
Farmer1906
AG
jja79 said:

What is the minimum price or value for a watch to qualify as high end locally?
There you go talking about price.

There are plenty of $10,000+ dollar watches I would not consider high end and there are plenty of $1,000 dollar watches I would.
jja79
AG
I haven't owned a watch in about 30 years so I was just wondering.
Farmer1906
AG
jja79 said:

I haven't owned a watch in about 30 years so I was just wondering.
One of my favorite brands (Nomos) has pieces for around $1700. Most are more in the $2500-$3500 range. Their quality, own designed escapement, in-house movements, and unique style is hands down the definition of "high end" to me.
jja79
AG
More about panache than utility? I'm assuming a Timex gets you there equally as punctual as your favorite?

Like I said I haven't worn a watch most of my adult life so I found this thread interesting.
Diggity
AG
Do you also open up threads about tampons and cellulite cream?
Farmer1906
AG
My phone has a perfectly accurate time and is more easily read than the face of a watch. You don't wear a watch to know the time. Just like you don't drive a Ferrari to drive 60 on the highway.
Farmer1906
AG
Diggity said:

Do you also open up threads about tampons and cellulite cream?
I bet he's used both of those in the last 30 years.
Guitarsoup
AG
A timex Ironman or Casio G-Shock is going to be more accurate than any Rolex, PP, Omega, or IWC.
DVC2010
AG
None of this is about utility.
jja79
AG
Believe it or not I was asking a serious question. The fact that I don't wear a watch doesn't mean this isn't an interesting thread.
MemorialTXAg
Farmer1906 said:

My phone has a perfectly accurate time and is more easily read than the face of a watch. You don't wear a watch to know the time. Just like you don't drive a Ferrari to drive 60 on the highway.

Sounds like you need a Lange Zeitwerk. The most easily read time instrument ever.
94chem
Quote:

A timex Ironman or Casio G-Shock is going to be more accurate than any Rolex, PP, Omega, or IWC.
Yep - once I went solar atomic, I decided I'm never wearing anything else again. Only wish I had gotten them sooner.
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.