Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,459,039 Views | 13499 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by TheVarian
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really like that Seamaster, but on a different band.
Guitarsoup
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Why would you want to?
The watch is a 1959 Oyster Perpetual that belonged to my great-grandfather. The acrylic has gotten pretty scratched over the past 60 years. I like the clean look of the sapphire.

Want black gator over brown ostrich because I never wear brown. Don't even own brown shoes. I think I am going to make this my suit watch, which is a little more proper than wearing my diver on a nato strap.
Farmer1906
AG
Someone is learning.

I was referring to changing the crystal. I feel like a watch like that has so much history and meaning, I would want to keep it as original as possible. Now if it's horribly scratched, then you can always get another acrylic. I don't know for sure, but from my experience, most manufacturers don't make substitutes.

Also, I find it strange you don't own brown shoes.
Guitarsoup
AG
Keeps my closet much more simple. I'll wear oxblood double monk straps with my navy suit. I just prefer black. Just not a brown person.
Farmer1906
AG
All good.

When you buying another timepiece?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Keeps my closet much more simple. I'll wear oxblood double monk straps with my navy suit. I just prefer black. Just not a brown person.

Guitarsoup
AG
No clue.

Not a Tag fan, but I love Tag's newest reissue for the Monaco. They actually made this one look original and took the tag part off and have the crown on the proper left side.

That or an IWC Portuguese are at the top of my list, but I don't really need another dress watch and I do like how my Rolex fits under my cuffs better than a Portuguese would.

This is just so sexy.

I'd probably spring for the Monaco first (it would be significantly cheaper), but fun money is going into cars for the next year or two.

Current collection (pics from internet, because I'm lazy):

Every day:
Planet Ocean on Nato.

1959 Oyster Perpetual (Great-Grandfather's)

Early 60s Presidential (Grandfather's)

1968 Day-Date (Father's)

Garmin Fitness smart watch.
Guitarsoup
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm African-American. Says so on my birth certificate!
Farmer1906
AG
I've had one. They wear a lot larger than they are (38) since it is square and fairly thick. Very nice watch.

I agree the Portuguese is one of the best looking around, but they're a little large for me and the movement is a modified ETA so it loses some points.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't mind it wearing larger since I am used to the 45 Planet Ocean.

I've also considered a Radiomir. My grail would be that Rose Gold on rubber YachtMaster.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm African-American. Says so on my birth certificate!

Rhodesian, right?
Guitarsoup
AG
Mom born in JoBerg. Didn't learn English until she came to the states.
Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
I just got the Nato strap for it in the last 6-9 months. Had the regular rubber strap before. It's been my daily wear for 5 years now. Still love it as much as the day I got it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I just got the Nato strap for it in the last 6-9 months. Had the regular rubber strap before. It's been my daily wear for 5 years now. Still love it as much as the day I got it.

How often do you switch straps?
Guitarsoup
AG
Never really.

I had that rubber strap since I bought it, but it was starting to crack/break. Natos were like half the price of that one. I've never taken my NATO strap off the watch since I got it at the Omega store in the Galleria.
aggiebq03+
Guitarsoup said:

No clue.

Not a Tag fan, but I love Tag's newest reissue for the Monaco. They actually made this one look original and took the tag part off and have the crown on the proper left side.

Saw the new correct vintage Monaco last time I flew through airport in Doha. Wanted to purchase so bad after seeing in person, but couldn't justify it at the time and already own something similar:

FHKChE07
AG
I have the older Monaco Gulf Edition and I love it. It is one of my most worn watches. And it is much better than a lot of the other Monacos were really busy and gross.

Farmer1906
AG
This is pretty much like the one I had.

TP Ag '87
AG
This thread popping up depresses me as I posted that I got my vintage watch back from Mr. K in May.

Well, shortly thereafter, it stopped again. Took it back and he's been messing with it ever since. Every time I go back in there, he always says he hasn't gotten to it.

He's had that watch longer than I have and its not even close. Just don't want to start over somewhere else.
FHKChE07
AG
I took one of mine in because I had seen others on this thread that have had luck with Mr. C's servicing rates being less. He ended up being 1.5 times the cost compared to other places that I have shopped around.
aggiebq03+
Where else did you shop for service?
Just curious as I have a couple I probably should take in over the next year or so.
FHKChE07
AG
I also went to Tag for an estimate.
aggiebq03+
How did the Tag estimate compare to Mr. K? As a percentage anyway.
FHKChE07
AG
He was 50% more than Tag.
Bighamp03
AG
So do we have a consensus on where to get watches serviced? I have a Tag that is due and a 5 year old Oris that is magnetized and probably needs servicing too.

Mr K serviced my Tag last time, but I'm not too keen on not having my watches for months.
TP Ag '87
AG
Have you checked out Memorial Watch Repair? Also a guy at 529/Highway 6 in Copperfield. WatchTech or something like that.
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
Just pulled the trigger on this, the 50th anniversary Sea Dweller in 43mm. Should be in at Lewis in 2 weeks

Very Tolerant Nice Guy
third coast.. said:

Bustup?

I'm sorry?
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
third coast.. said:

User check. Sorry. Beautiful watch.

I see, thank you I will post a photo when I get it
Cardiag
AG
Anyone tried the Eleven James service? I'm thinking of getting a new watch but would like to try before buying.
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
Cardiag said:

Anyone tried the Eleven James service? I'm thinking of getting a new watch but would like to try before buying.

Don't do it, it's all smoke and mirrors. They don't even have the watches they claim to have, you tell them what you want and they try and find someone who owns it who wants a different one, and then they go and find that one and so on and so on. They are more a watch trading broker than they are a rental service
captkirk
AG
Very Tolerant Nice Guy said:

Just pulled the trigger on this, the 50th anniversary Sea Dweller in 43mm. Should be in at Lewis in 2 weeks

These have really caught my eye. Thinking of trading my Deep Sea + some cash to pick one of these up
First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 386

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.