Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,500,372 Views | 13684 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by ChemAg15
BustUpAChiffarobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
How about an IWC Ingenieur?

EXCELLENT post, I can't believe I forgot about that one. The IWC ingenieur is a fantastic piece.
schmendeler
AG
don't forget this beauty.

tx4guns
AG
Love my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Co-Axial. Wear it everyday, and it's one tough watch.

Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
It's definitely the most well known luxury watch company.

I'm not a huge fan of Rolex but I like that one that BAC posted earlier.

That green one? I like it too and showed my wife this morning.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:
don't forget this beauty.

I always pegged you for a "work makes me carry a phone that tells time, so I don't need a watch" guy.
1. it's funny to hear from other posters that they have an imagined persona for you
2. i've always worn watches

while i do own the above cheapo, this is what i wear every day.

i've had it for 15 years, now.
Diggity
AG
that's the one.

some day maybe. right now I'll have to be content with the same watch I've had for 13 years.
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
you people and your nonsense user names.
schmendeler
AG
I suspected that might be the case.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I'd love to get a hook-up on the new Planet Ocean Deep Black.

Love that watch. Bought my Planet Ocean before it came out.

Also have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual with ostrich leather bracelet. Never really wear it.

Next watch will be a IWC Portuguese Chronograph
htxag09
AG
My everyday watch is a simple face, two tone, tag carrera.

My next watch will probably be a Carl F. Bucherer. I've really liked thewatch on the far right for awhile now....

Mr. McGibblets
AG
Looks like it is time to buy some skinny jeans....
Ragoo
AG
I really like the look of the Weiss watch

http://weisswatchcompany.com/collections/all
Zobel
AG
Weiss is ok but they should get the same slap that shinola did. They don't make the watch movement - it's not an American watch.
sts7049
AG
damn this thread for giving me the itch
testosterbone
AG
Rule 1.
testosterbone
AG
Reputable site suggestions for speedmaster pro bands?
Mr. McGibblets
AG

jetch17
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:

otto frei
Ragoo
AG
Interesting, didn't know that. It seems that the movement is Swiss made but completely assembled in the US. I don't know anything about watch movements to know if that is true or even matters.
Zobel
AG
ETA basically makes all watch movements. Very very few watch movements are made in house. Some manufacturers buy ETA movements and finish them.

RGM makes in-house movements in the US. But they have to to buy some pieces from Switzerland.

Shinola had to remove Made In USA recently. The FTC ruled that it was deceptive as they didn't really make much, only assembled. If the movement is Swiss, it's a Swiss watch in my opinion.

And of course it matters. It's like saying a computer is made in the USA if the case is made in the USA and it's assembled here but all the internal components are still made overseas. What's the computer? What's the watch? (It's not the case or the strap or the face or the crystal...in my opinion)
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
ETA basically makes all watch movements. Very very few watch movements are made in house. Some manufacturers buy ETA movements and finish them.

RGM makes in-house movements in the US. But they have to to buy some pieces from Switzerland.

Shinola had to remove Made In USA recently. The FTC ruled that it was deceptive as they didn't really make much, only assembled. If the movement is Swiss, it's a Swiss watch in my opinion.

not Zenith!!!

Zobel
AG
Sure and not Rolex either. But generally ETA or Swatch subsidiaries (like Nivarox) make nearly all components and/or movements. It's a cartel.

Just saying it's ok for zenith to say made in Switzerland. It's not ok for Shinola or Weiss to say made in USA. Whether anyone can say in-house movement is a whole other topic.
aTm2004
AG
quote:

If you want a Nato, NatoStrapCo.com is having a BOGO this weekend. Just put "Free nylon Nato of your choosing" in the comments. Good though 7/5 per the email I got.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
Sure and not Rolex either. But generally ETA or Swatch subsidiaries (like Nivarox) make nearly all components and/or movements. It's a cartel.

Just saying it's ok for zenith to say made in Switzerland. It's not ok for Shinola or Weiss to say made in USA. Whether anyone can say in-house movement is a whole other topic.

I agree completely, Shinola is crap anyway. Charging 700 for a stock eta movement with a distressed leather strap. I do believe Zenith, Rolex, most of the new Omegas, and the new Tudor Pelagos And a few other microbrands are making in-house now. I hope the trend continues
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:

otto frei

Ordered from them as well.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:

me scuzzi, me scuzzi haha

congratulations dude
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Thank you kind sir. It was between this one, a Cartier, and a IWC. This one gave me all the feels.
Farmer1906
AG
Why does one need 3 black divers? Is your collection enormous?
Farmer1906
AG
quote:

And of course it matters. It's like saying a computer is made in the USA if the case is made in the USA and it's assembled here but all the internal components are still made overseas. What's the computer? What's the watch? (It's not the case or the strap or the face or the crystal...in my opinion)

I will never understand why anyone spends big money (a few grand or more) on a watch with an ETA movement or something similar.
Farmer1906
AG
That looks massive (ttss)
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:

I will never understand why anyone spends big money (a few grand or more) on a watch with an ETA movement or something similar.

Most people don't know the difference. I had never heard of it until this thread
Zobel
AG
I don't know. Buying a real watch is kind of useless today, a quartz watch does the same job cheaper and better. It's just a piece of jewelry now, with varying degrees of design provenance.

So, if you like the way it looks and don't have any sense or care for the history or utility of the design, I can see why you'd pay a lot for a watch.

Besides if you buy from the list below you're buying ETA, and many not on this list. Kinda hard to avoid it.

Omega
Breguet
Harry Winston
Blancpain
Glashtte Original
Jaquet Droz
Lon Hatot
Rado
Longines
Union Glashtte
Hamilton
Certina
Mido
Tissot
Balmain
CK Watch and Jewelry co.

Example of design provenance and history making it well worth it: buying an Omega Speedmaster. Fantastic looking watch, and a cool story.
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 391

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.