Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,750,952 Views | 14849 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Quo Vadis?
RGRAg1/75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trek Strategy said:

How do you like it?

Quite a lot, actually. Fit and finish is good. Took me a minute to figure out the small pronged tool to swap bands. The one mine came with is shorter than the one in the video on your website. Creating the lever to pull down while pushing up was challenging due to this. If that tool was longer, it would be easier.

Other than that, box, tool case, field strap option (included) are all great. Highly recommend.

I Am A Critic
Trek Strategy said:

Your drawing above is from Manson Precision Industrial, a company in Hong Kong that designs and manufactures watches but the FAQ on your website says your watches are made in Switzerland. I have a hard time believing that a company in China that claims to design and manufacture watches would design a watch and send it to Switzerland to be made. Can you explain the disconnect here?

https://www.mpi-limited.com/what-we-do/complete-watches/
Username checks out.
SPF250
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Trek Strategy said:

Your drawing above is from Manson Precision Industrial, a company in Hong Kong that designs and manufactures watches but the FAQ on your website says your watches are made in Switzerland. I have a hard time believing that a company in China that claims to design and manufacture watches would design a watch and send it to Switzerland to be made. Can you explain the disconnect here?

Username checks out. Design and manufacture are two different things. I've seen thus on any number of watches. The Swiss manufacturing is the valuable part of a Swiss watch.
LPHA
AG
It's a perfectly cromulent question.
SPF250
AG
Had to look that one up.
I Am A Critic
SPF250 said:

I Am A Critic said:

Trek Strategy said:

Username checks out. Design and manufacture are two different things. I've seen thus on any number of watches. The Swiss manufacturing is the valuable part of a Swiss watch.
Because labor and parts are so much cheaper in Switzerland than China.
Username checks out.
SPF250
AG
This juice is not worth the squeeze.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Trek Strategy said:

Happy to explain. We actually manage the entire supply chain. That decision was made about 4 years ago when we realized that many watch companies allow one of the key stakeholders (Swiss, HK) actually manage the process. When you do that, the entire process slows down, you lose any kind of power in the relationships, and you are at the whims of "the business" and whatever they decide. At that point, my partner decided to manage the entire thing himself. So we have an account manager at MPI, an account rep in Switzerland at the Ronda time center, a different company for the packaging, a parts supplier for tools, and a company here north of Dallas that makes the leather watch roll. We manage it all so that everything is up to our quality standard and no one else is speaking for our brand. With that said, this is a Swiss movement. The bracelet, case, and engraving is all done in Hong Kong. The leather travel roll is from Texas. Lastly, yes, HK and Switzerland have to work together on this project. The watches actually travel air freight several times, with 3 different QA inspections before they land in the US. MPI does all the renderings for us because the Swiss would never do that for a company our size.
Trek Strategy - Every Journey Needs a Guide
SaturdaysAreForTheDads
BourbonAg said:

FTAC2011 said:

Trade for bourbon?

Not if I want to keep Mrs. Bourbonag around.

Buy the watch and send her my way.
I Am A Critic
So the movement is Swiss made but everything else is Chinese sweatshop.
Username checks out.
Farmer1906
AG
I Am A Critic said:

That is the norm for watches around that pricepoint.
TheOC16
AG
AgLA06 said:

TheOC16 said:

It's horrible that people try to enjoy themselves.
I have nothing wrong with people enjoying themselves (obviously).

Remember, I'm the Fossil guy. I've kept two of them for "sentimental" value. I love chatting with the friends I've parted out my old collection to about their experiences with the watches they've gotten - what stands out to them or what they like. Especially what they don't like, as that gives me hope I might "gateway" them into further watch enthusiasm. But it genuinely makes me happy seeing someone enjoy a watch. I'm not a snob for price or brand.

I have nothing against "cheap" watches. After I bought Rolex and Omega I also bought Casio, Tissot, and Orient. I have a friend that loves a cheap quartz Seiko and we talk about it from time to time. And novelty watches are cool if that's what you're into: the "Moonswatch" craze didn't get me on the hook but it was fun to follow.

But I'll be honest in saying I don't like the "Seiko Mod" thing. Look, if you're one of the people who's actually taking a Seiko and swapping out parts; learning watch mechanics and movements through that hobby or just exploring the technology - now that is COOL. But let's be real, most of these things people call "Seiko Mods" are just taking cases (and usually dials, hands, and markers) from the counterfeit Rolex factories and then sticking a "Seiko" logo on there so it can get through internet retail channels without getting blocked.

I don't support theft of intellectual property in watches, art, business, or anywhere else and buying product (even if it's not exactly the same final product sold as counterfeit) from the factories that propagate it does bother me. Then you peel off the name of another company (one that is the best at quality of finishing in their price range) and slap it on some Frankendial - it seems a bit past silly.

I was close to passing it up without saying anything, but he did ask us to Fire Away.
Okay, 'young man yells at clouds' rant over.
Trek Strategy
Sponsor
AG
I Am A Critic said:

The Leather Travel Roll, which is a very nice one, is made here in Texas by Odin Leather Goods. Believe it or not, the packaging is made in Pakistan.

We have dreams of moving more and more production to North America and have already had meetings domestically.

Maybe you were talking about just the watch.
Trek Strategy - Every Journey Needs a Guide
I Am A Critic
Trek Strategy said:

I Am A Critic said:

The Leather Travel Roll, which is a very nice one, is made here in Texas by Odin Leather Goods. Believe it or not, the packaging is made in Pakistan.

We have dreams of moving more and more production to North America and have already had meetings domestically.

You're the one advertising your watch as "Swiss-made" which is more than a little disingenuous when only the movement is Swiss. When I see "Swiss-made", I expect assembled in Switzerland with Swiss parts, not movements shipped from Switzerland to a Chinese sweatshop.
Username checks out.
Dies Irae
I Am A Critic said:

Trek Strategy said:

I Am A Critic said:

You're the one advertising your watch as "Swiss-made" which is more than a little disingenuous when only the movement is Swiss. When I see "Swiss-made", I expect assembled in Switzerland with Swiss parts, not movements shipped from Switzerland to a Chinese sweatshop.

The vast majority of watches under $1,000 USD with "Swiss made" on them are the same. Movement is swiss, everything else is third world
suburban cowboy
AG
NWD
bthotugigem05
AG
Dies Irae said:

Canyon99 said:

That chump has been involved in lots of drama over the past few years. Went dark for a while with client money/watches, got robbed of a considerable amount of watches, moved to CA and lost a lease on an expensive penthouse because he couldn't afford it. What is that clown involved in now?

He admitted he didn't actually get robbed, is $5,000,000 in debt and has essentially been running a watch Ponzi scheme.
I don't even think it's accurate to call it "debt". He slow-paid consignees when their watches sold and used the proceeds to fund his ridiculous lifestyle. He got drunk and misplaced a backpack with $2mm of customer inventory and reckons he is around $5mm in the hole.
zgolfz85
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Trek Strategy said:

I Am A Critic said:

You're so out of your depth there man. If you're mad at this guy, then there's a few hundred companies you should also take issue with because as others have said, tons of Swiss made companies do it the same exact way. Now F off. Trek is a good dude and clearly his company is a genuine one and with a good cause to boot
Dies Irae
It's not just your smaller brands either. I believe Omega has their bracelets done in China, or used to
Guitarsoup
AG
Dies Irae said:

It's not just your smaller brands either. I believe Omega has their bracelets done in China, or used to

They certainly don't charge like they do. That's why I went to NATO
jamesf
AG
What is the watch?
AgEng06
AG
Gold Rolex Day-Date, looks like a Roman numeral dial
Dies Irae
jamesf said:

What is the watch?

Rose Gold day date with olive green face
Farmer1906
AG
Not shocking. JV has good taste.
TP Ag '87
AG
Fun Cat trip around Santorini. Not high end but I like it.

Fall92
AG
CW with a new mulberry red release. May be too wine colored for game day.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Coog97
Plebe post! :-)

Zelos Hammerhead titanium with the Muonionalusta meteorite dial
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Dude, that meteorite dial is cool AF, I don't care what brand it is.
Sea Speed
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Dude, that meteorite dial is cool AF, I don't care what brand it is.

Wikipedia is a treasure trove of information. Learned a lot from the article including:

Another part of the meteorite is used in the BOLDR Odyssey watch. The watch brand Zelos also uses slices of the meteorite as dials and bezel inserts in their watches. The Indian micro-brand, Bangalore Watch Company, has also released a line of space themed watches called Apogee that includes a model with the dial sourced from the meteorite.The Indian brand, Titan, uses the meteorite for one sub-dial on its Swiss-made Meteorite by Xylys chronographs. UK Watchmaker, Bremont, incorporated slices sourced from the meteorite in their "Bremont Hawking Limited Edition Collection" watches. Only 388 were produced.[10] In 2019, the brand David Rutten produced a limited edition of 88 watches, called DR-01 Streamline, using the Muonionalusta for the watch case.
TXAG 05
AG
Fall92 said:

CW with a new mulberry red release. May be too wine colored for game day.

The email says it's just a 36mm which would be way too small for my wrist.
gigemags87
AG
Nice burgundy watch thread here:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/burgundy-dial-watches.5172149/
DoitBest
S
Looks familiar
MAROON
AG
Sort of familiar

ashleyschaeffer
Posted the Speedy on classifieds.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3391324/next

Spoiler:
FTAC2011
AG
Who wants a steal? 39mm explorer 1. Full set 2012 (reference number 214270) this originally had the mk1 dial, but Rolex swapped it out for the new mk2 dial with the Lumed 3,6,9 indices.

Looking for $6500 edit: it's sold
First Page Last Page
Page 332 of 425

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.