Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,460,026 Views | 13506 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by schmendeler
BustUpAChiffarobe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Would you consider Seikos an heirloom quality watch? I don't mean from a monetary value standpoint, but from a sentimental value standpoint. If I bought a Seiko and passed it along, will my grandkids be able to get it worked on and maintained 40-50 years from now?

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I buy "milestone" watches and my next one would be for my first big promotion. I just got a promotion, and I could spend $5,000 on a Rolly or Omega for the milestone watch in 15 months, or buy a $1,000-$2,000 watch to go along with my Tag and Oris now. I dig the Seikos you guys are posting.
Anything can be an heirloom if a loved family member treasured it; my dad has an old beat-up datejust he's worn forever, and although it is a Rolex; it's nearly nothing special but I'd treasure it if he gave it to me.

aTm2004
AG
Kurt Gowdy
AG
quote:
If I bought a Seiko and passed it along, will my grandkids be able to get it worked on and maintained 40-50 years from now?
As long as it's a mechanical watch, then yes - it will be able to be worked on.

I have an heirloom Seiko (I think I've posted about it in this thread). My grandfather was in the oilfield and brought home a Seiko from the ME with an Arabic date wheel from the late 60's. I had it cleaned up, put it on a croc strap, and it runs like a top. He also owned a quartz Omega - that watch is nothing more than a paperweight.
DVC2010
AG
quote:
I think you win best collection.

Was this a response to my photo? If so, I appreciate the Vader meme, but my collection is not very large. I own the Master Ultra Thin, a Speedy Pro, and this:
TP Ag '87
AG
That's pretty kick ass.

jetch17
AG
That thing looks busy as fck
Guitarsoup
AG
The numbers are weird. Look at 17 and 18. I haven't seen that before.
TP Ag '87
AG
Geez. Let the guy enjoy his timepiece.
Zobel
AG
Pretty common to flip the numbers. 6-7 flips too. I kinda like it.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG

First look at my first Christopher Ward watch; extremely impressed so far. Watch is absolutely beautiful polished center links are on par with my milgauss as are end link tightness/fit. Zr02 ceramic bezel glows a beautiful shade of maroon; anti reflection on the crystal is top notch; font on the dial and the position of the markers are flawless.

I really like the little harpoon second hand, as it spices the face up a little; and the shape of the minute and hour hands are very unique.

The watch feels very solid; I can't tell any difference from my rolex or omegas on the wrist. The watch clasp is extremely simple; but does have the engraved CW logo; which stops it from being totally boring.

All in all, really impressed with this watch and I put it up alongside Seiko with "best bang for the buck". This watch costs me less than $800 brand new; and has the appearance of a watch several times the cost on the wrist. To me, this watch seems like it should play in the high 2000-3000 dollar market; and at first blush seems to be of superior quality to the 2k-3k Tag/Oris/Longines equivalents.

Go out and get you one immediately.
RVAg02
AG
quote:

First look at my first Christopher Ward watch; extremely impressed so far. Watch is absolutely beautiful polished center links are on par with my milgauss as are end link tightness/fit. Zr02 ceramic bezel glows a beautiful shade of maroon; anti reflection on the crystal is top notch; font on the dial and the position of the markers are flawless.

I really like the little harpoon second hand, as it spices the face up a little; and the shape of the minute and hour hands are very unique.

The watch feels very solid; I can't tell any difference from my rolex or omegas on the wrist. The watch clasp is extremely simple; but does have the engraved CW logo; which stops it from being totally boring.

All in all, really impressed with this watch and I put it up alongside Seiko with "best bang for the buck". This watch costs me less than $800 brand new; and has the appearance of a watch several times the cost on the wrist. To me, this watch seems like it should play in the high 2000-3000 dollar market; and at first blush seems to be of superior quality to the 2k-3k Tag/Oris/Longines equivalents.

More pictures please. Particularly profile to see thickness.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
lume shot

thickness shot, for a watch with a 600m water resistance, its fairly slim

caseback

clasp (the worst part of the watch IMO

aTm2004
AG
That's a 24 hour watch, right? Don't see many of those. I'd like to have one in my collection eventually.
Bighamp03
AG
quote:
quote:

More pictures please. Particularly profile to see thickness.

I love that watch. Well done.
Bighamp03
AG

This might be my next watch.
DVC2010
AG
quote:
That's a 24 hour watch, right? Don't see many of those. I'd like to have one in my collection eventually.

The original Airman was a true 24-hour watch. This one is a bit of a hybrid. The hour hand is a 12-hour hand (which means the bezel and dial markings don't correspond at a to what the hand displays), and the red hand is a 24-hour hand.

The watch is basically set up this way because of the ETA 2893 movement. Eventually, I plan to find a watchmaker who will remove the red hand and mount the arrow as the 24-hour hand. It's weird, but I like it.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
I haven't. Read the seller review board and search his name. You'll see some feedback from buyers he's sold to on there before. I'd also Google the name and see if there are any reviews/feedback on other watch forums. Usually, if somebody is a shady seller, they're called out pretty quickly.

That said, he's been on there for a while and I haven't seen anything from him that would make me pass on a piece I wanted that he had.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
I did a wire transfer when I bought mine. It was nerve wracking, but I felt I did my due diligence on getting the seller, and he was very open and responsive. Do a bit more research until you feel comfortable, and open some communication with him. He should send a phone number so you can talk to him as well. That helped me.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
he is solid, also most will take pp if you pay the 3 points
Texaggie7nine
Welp I went ahead and bit the bullet and got me one.

7nine
schmendeler
AG
What is that? (Refresh my memory)
aTm2004
AG
A watch
schmendeler
AG
quote:
A watch

Zing!
Texaggie7nine
I'll just say. It's a REAL Winner.
7nine
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
A watch

Debatable.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
I'll just say. It's a REAL Winner.

A HARWIN-ner?
Texaggie7nine
No. It's actually a Winner brand.

Got it on special for $2 with $4 shipping on my cheap chinese merch app.

It's actually all stainless steel and so far all the gears are working inside it.
7nine
schmendeler
AG
quote:
No. It's actually a Winner brand.

Got it on special for $2 with $4 shipping on my cheap chinese merch app.

Oh, lol
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG

Hey gents, kind of fell into this watch. I might be looking to sell it; I might keep it depending on how awesome it looks when it comes in.

I had put a small bid on the 43mm variant of the maroon bezel black faced watch I got in from CH Ward that I liked so much last week. This one has the white face, yellow gmt hand, maroon gmt ceramic bezel and the leather croc deployment strap.

I saw it at an auction so I put a fairly low bid of 750 and it won. Anyway, I very well may keep it when it comes in, but if it looks too similar to the other one I just bought I'll probably flip it in case anyone is interested.
captkirk
AG
quote:

Hey gents, kind of fell into this watch. I might be looking to sell it; I might keep it depending on how awesome it looks when it comes in.

I had put a small bid on the 43mm variant of the maroon bezel black faced watch I got in from CH Ward that I liked so much last week. This one has the white face, yellow gmt hand, maroon gmt ceramic bezel and the leather croc deployment strap.

I saw it at an auction so I put a fairly low bid of 750 and it won. Anyway, I very well may keep it when it comes in, but if it looks too similar to the other one I just bought I'll probably flip it in case anyone is interested.
If it was on a bracelet, I'd be interested
captkirk
AG
I've got a couple of watches I'm considering selling:

-Breitling Bentley GT Racing (model A13362)
-Tudor Prince Tiger Woods Edition Chronograph Steel Panda (model 79280P)

David_Puddy
AG
quote:
Welp I went ahead and bit the bullet and got me one.

BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
You have box and papers on those; that Bentley might scare some people who don't know you off; if you list it on email. That model is very popular for replicas.
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 386

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.