Houston
Sponsored by

where is the most ghetto part of houston?

102,147 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Al Bula
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

Sounds like you got to experience what minorities go through when they have to do business in the bubble of Cypress/Tomball.

HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Ah, maybe the choice of Cypress/Tomball wasn't the best example for this scenario. I just used those, as the previous poster described those neighborhoods as her "bubble".

The only point I was trying to make is that as a member of the majority population (white), it isn't necessarily a bad thing to experience being the minority. It gives context to what others go through on a semi-regular basis.

In her self-described scenario, it was slightly uncomfortable being the only white person in a majority-minority part of town. I doubt her safety was ever in danger (she was in a voting station during daylight hours), but it was certainly an uncomfortable experience. I would argue this is similar to what minorities experience whenever they need to do business in a majority white part of town.

But anyways, didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. Back to discussing which neighborhoods Critical Mass should make a tour of next.
drumboy
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

The only point I was trying to make is that as a member of the majority population (white), it isn't necessarily a bad thing to experience being the minority. It gives context to what others go through on a semi-regular basis.
If whites are still the majority of Houston (city not metro area) they won't be for long.
schmellba99
AG
I know what you meant. I just think it's, well, kind of a silly attempt at comparing two different worlds.

I mean, if the lily white part of town was known for being one of the highest areas of violence, you might have a point. But considering that, generally speaking, there isn't a section of the Tine that is predominately white and affluent that also doubles as a center for crime, it's kind of a stupid thing to say.

This may come as a shock, but there are reasons why stereotypes exist, and there are reasons why people avoid certain areas of any major city - and it's not because of the fact that strangers may stare at them.
Texaggie7nine
I would compare it to a minority going to Vidor.
7nine
Al Bula
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.