Houston
Sponsored by

where is the most ghetto part of houston?

102,095 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Al Bula
Post removed:
by user
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damn, I never did take you up on that offer.
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
sass-i was...long story but left and went back to patrol a couple months ago.

Romans 13:4
Jock 07
AG
Road horses in Acres Home one time; it was pretty ruff area
eduag
AG
I will vote for...
Club Creek & The Gulfton area
W
AG
don't forget about the neighborhoods around Hobby Airport. That is rough too. Also parts of Aldine near the Hardy Toll Road

Back in the 80's the area of I-10 East around Waco, Market, McCarthy...3 homicides was considered a "slow" night at the precinct
babie_kreauxda
AG
innerloop between jensen and waco. i work with a kid from there and i went there one day.

holy ****.. even in the day time.

acres home must be rough.. look how mtv riff raff turned out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RIxi2R1A-w

someone in college told me alief was hard, but i dont believe so.

i'd say of course third ward and bloody nickel (fifth ward) but acres home and homestead get an honorable mention.

happy where i'm at. away from those places.
SB in H-Town
all of it
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
my old company would always fly me to hq in new york on jetblue so i'd always fly out of hobby. one time, on my way there i was in a rush so i basically cruised into the parking garage on fumes.

my flight back got delayed badly out of jfk. landed in hobby around 2 a.m. i had to fill my empty tank asap as i wasn't even going to get back to the freeway with what i had.

getting gas at 2 a.m. in a suit and tie with all the locals loitering in the parking lot staring at me was quite an experience.
TexasAggie008
AG
Ain't got nothin on

Ag of Enlightenment
AG
dont even try to compare dallas hoods to houston. weak.

tx4guns
AG
Back in '94 we were looking for South Main and ended up on North Main, just North of 610, by accident. Not a good part of town, either. Luckily my roommate was Columbian and he fit in just fine to get out and make a payphone call at the corner store.

I think I've driven thru the 5th Ward once in my whole life, and I was lost trying to get back to downtown at night. Very uncomfortable drive, but at least I had my CHL at that point. I know where NOT to go now.
drivinwest
AG
Inside the South Loop between 225 and 45. I used to mow the yard of a company called Gullett and Associates, and would often roust up a homeless crackhead while mowing near the shrubs. Also would find all kinds of needles in the ditch by the side street. There's an apartment complex behind them that is one scary place.
Greeze06
AG
Jenson drive and aldine mail route just east of 59 is pretty rough, especially that apartment complex just gettin in.
Agmechanic
AG
Hell I used to work at a Ford dealership off of homestead and 610. Ive driven all over 5th ward and kashmere gardens. You do get some funny looks when you roll in to Popeyes at lunch being white.

Now I work at a much nicer location at McCarty and 610.

I might be willing to take you up on that ride along AoE
Olive Bomb
quote:
Road horses in Acres Home one time; it was pretty ruff area

Wut?
Pahdz
I've seen lots of people riding horses through Acres Homes before...it's a little surreal
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
yeah i see people riding horses everyday where i work. it was very strange at first.

Jock 07
AG
I was ridin with a black dude so I was good to go
youandwhosearmy
another vote for cloverleaf.

I grew up on holly park, in northshore, on the edge of cloverleaf. luckily seperated by a bayou.

Later on had a buddy who rented a house off Vicksburg and Freeport. He would have parties over there, and we would have to call the cops to bust up our own parties to clear out some uninvited guests.
aggie808: oak cliff is a decent neighborhood. much of it is really nice and most all of it safe. fair park and the rest of south dallas is far worse.
TJaggie14
AG
Found this thread & had my own story to share.

A few weeks ago my buddies & I decide it be fun to go to the Saint Arnolds Brewery. So we drive & google maps tells us to exit Collingsworth & take Jenson to Lyons. So that's what we do. & yes it was awesome.

My GF was the one driving & was was not happy with the route google had us take. At one point she goes "why are all these people just standing around & staring?" So I look around & see 3 police cars & an officer patting down "Pepe" in front of a stop & rob. I think she kept checking to make sure the car was locked every 3 minutes.

When we left Saint Arnolds she just took Lyons to 59 & at the freeway we saw the Historic 5th Ward sign.

[This message has been edited by TJaggie43 (edited 1/14/2012 10:01a).]
Astroag
AG
Acres Homes and denver harbor....

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Buck Turgidson
The interesection of Quitman & Jensen is the most ghetto spot in town.
Charles Bronson
I agree buck. That stretch from Quitman almost down to I-10 is hardcore. Wonder if that little dominoes shack is still there. Always wondered what would happen if I walked in with a case of beer and asked to get in on a game of bones.
Scruffy
AG
Last Sunday I was playing pub-quiz with tjaggie and his friend asked where's a nice place to live in houston when he graduates this spring.

I told him acres homes is really nice. Kind of country in the city with houses on land and people ride horses around.

Would have gone great but tj couldn't keep a straight face.
chico
AG
I've biked across Jenson, all along Quitman & out to where it becomes Liberty. Down on Lorraine, Lyons. Not that bad.
ccolley68
AG
My office is between Lockwood and Wayside on Polk St. What neighborhood/ward/area of town is this considered? Its pretty ghetto, but doesn't seem too bad. We go to plenty of the local establishments in the area for lunch often. I wouldn't live in this area, or leave my car unlocked, but I'm not too afraid going to work. Just curious what our ward status is, and if I should be mindful to be more careful in the area. I have seen some road names and things in other posts that are in the area.
BMX Bandit
While a bad neighborhood, nowhere near the worst.
metrag06
AG
ccolley - you can find old maps of the wards online. According to this one from 1920 you'd be in the 3rd Ward, close to the 2nd/3rd border. Pesonally I'd think the area is probably tied closer to the 2nd Ward as it's pretty heavily hispanic like the areas further in towards EaDo. I also think you're correct that it's far from being one of the "worst" areas of Houston.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/HoustonWards1920.jpg

EDIT: linked to the pic rather than posted it - it's huge! haha

[This message has been edited by metrag06 (edited 1/14/2012 5:12p).]
agproducer
AG
Gulfton is horrendous and dangerous. Club creek is also brutal.
johnrth
What ward is the jefferson davis hospital in that they turned into artists lofts? Went and snuck in to the hospital one night when I was in highschool. That was a scary part of town. A week after we were there a bunch of kids got robbed at gunpoint and their car stolen when they snuck in.
ccolley68
AG
I am in the deer blind right now posting on my phone, so I can't do much with map links, but if it says we are technically 3rd Ward (though closer demographically and geographically to 2nd Ward), and I have seen 3rd Ward thrown out there as a contender for most ghetto, what would it take logistically to go, say on a lunch break, and explore the worst of the worst of the 3rd Ward? Could this be accomplished easily and quickly, grab a fast food lunch and cruise the hood? What route is best? Would I be in immediate danger during daylight, middle of a work day (white guy in Tahoe)? And where is the 5th Ward in reference to where we are? Could it also be explored in a similar manner? One last question, ranking ghettoness, the worst places I have worked have been building the Walmart on the corner of Crosstimbers and Fulton, and my new company's office where we are. Which is a worse area? I was more concerned by far for my well being going to Crosstimbers and Fulton than Wayside and Polk.
LisaMarie
AG
My grandparents/aunts/cousins have always lived in Denver Harbor. One of their neighbors was into some kind of Santeria or somethin and would slaughter various small animals in the front yard, and smear blood on the house.

Going there is like going to another world. But I still have family there so I go pretty often.
fulshearAg96
AG
Where did the Katrina refugees end up?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.