Houston
Sponsored by

where is the most ghetto part of houston?

102,140 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Al Bula
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There was another house in the tine where some thugs on the front porch were brandishing guns that is now blurred out.
7nine
Boo Weekley
quote:
no, look at the house, it is blurred out in that photo, and it is a moving vehicle taking those photos, how would she make it over there in time to be s'ing a d.
No clue. But I assume we can all agree that she's an uno???
chico
AG
I went by there. Just a boarded up house. Lot is decently mowed. The house next door is boarded up also.
JSKolache
AG
quote:
Jensen at Collingsworth

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Freeport&sll=29.780134,-95.340986&sspn=0.014117,0.019248&ie=UTF8&split=1&rq=1&ev=zi&radius=0.69&hq=Freeport&hnear=&layer=c&cbll=29.793754,-95.341746&panoid=tl54Qtj9ItG-NNEgF67KmQ&cbp=12,275.39,,0,5.3&t=h&ll=29.793766,-95.341845&spn=0,0.043774&z=15
Got stuck at this one trying to get to 59 from Hardy one night. It aint fun when the train blocks the road out and you have to flip a beech. never been so happy to see the lights of cavalcade drive up yonder.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
WTF reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/2vk6tt/fifth_ward_find/
Swing Your Saber
5th Ward. No Question.
Texaggie7nine
Anyone ever had Ghetto Burger on Antione? I've been tempted to stop by and try it every time I drive by.
7nine
RightWingConspirator
AG
I smell a scavenger hunt coming on. Anyone want to set up a scavenger hunt through some of the worst parts of Houston? Winner keeps their life? Loser, not so much.....
88jrt06
AG
Can NEVER rule out Midtown.
camelclub
AG
i happened to drive down Long Point and Hammerly in Spring Branch this week. There is starting to be some gentrification but it is still ghetto AF around there. anyone familiar with the area?
Ag_07
AG
That area is far from ghetto AF.

I've never been afraid to drive around, made sure I'm out of there by dark, or felt like I was being eyed at as a target while anywhere near Spring Branch.

Dirty, a bit run down, and full of Mezcuns maybe but by no means ghetto AF.
drumboy
AG
camelclub said:

i happened to drive down Long Point and Hammerly in Spring Branch this week. There is starting to be some gentrification but it is still ghetto AF around there. anyone familiar with the area?

Ha that area isn't bad. I almost bought a house near there in 2009.
Texaggie7nine
RIP Ghetto Burger
7nine
Pasquale Liucci
AG
About 7 years late but wholeheartedly agree with the worst part of Houston being fifth ward. Worked off McCarty and I-10 for a year. Sometimes when there was a wreck on I-10 W I would detour through the 5th Ward along Lyons over to 59 Frontage road to Quitman to get back to the Heights. Truly third world levels of thoed over there.
Al Bula
AG
More camelclub trolling
Ag03 CQE
AG
TAMUAGGIES said:

I'm heading to Jensen and Laura Koppe in a few hours...I'll let ya'll know if I make it back.

I guess he didn't make it back.
Petrino1
The guy saying Clover Leaf earlier in this thread, I disagree. I used to deliver pizzas around that area, even at night, and never once felt unsafe. My grandparents lived in denver harbor and while it's ghetto af, for the most part people leave you alone and stick to themselves. However, fifth ward I refuse to drive through at night. It's pretty much guaranteed you will be approached by a scary crackhead or bum if you stop at a stoplight or the local Walgreens there.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ag_07 said:

I've never been afraid to drive around, made sure I'm out of there by dark, or felt like I was being eyed at as a target while anywhere near Spring Branch.

Truth.

We hit Tacos del Julio (next to Beef & Bun) at least weekly. Longpoint between Wirt & Bingle. There may be better cheap taco joints around but they're damn good.

But that 5th Ward **** can be scary even in daylight. I tend to use Waze to avoid traffic and I've gotten routed through some pretty dicey neighborhoods. They need to upgrade that **** with crime report overlays and you can select a level of criminal behavior you're comfortable with on your route.

Of course none of that compares to the meth central/Deliverance feel of some places in the Trinity River bottoms near Liberty that I wandered into scouting out duck holes. That **** has a real Texas Chainsaw Massacre/The Hills Have Eyes feel.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Yep, it was always Waze that got me over there too.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Is AoE still around? I always enjoyed his insight.
cap-n-jack
Grew up in the bottoms. The banjo symphonies still reverberate in my mind.
chimpanzee
Finn Maccumhail said:

Ag_07 said:

Truth.

We hit Tacos del Julio (next to Beef & Bun) at least weekly. Longpoint between Wirt & Bingle. There may be better cheap taco joints around but they're damn good.

But that 5th Ward **** can be scary even in daylight. I tend to use Waze to avoid traffic and I've gotten routed through some pretty dicey neighborhoods. They need to upgrade that **** with crime report overlays and you can select a level of criminal behavior you're comfortable with on your route.

Of course none of that compares to the meth central/Deliverance feel of some places in the Trinity River bottoms near Liberty that I wandered into scouting out duck holes. That **** has a real Texas Chainsaw Massacre/The Hills Have Eyes feel.

Behind the Pine Curtain.

If you ever happen upon a singlewide way too far back in the woods to ever have had power or water running to it and hear someone inside, run.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Is AoE still around? I always enjoyed his insight.

Don't see him much. He got sick of people bashing HPD every time he showed up and defending the cops. Sucks, dude had a good insight that I liked to read. No more AoE and no more Rtt.
camelclub
AG
Nah i wasn't trolling. But he's right, I wouldn't say ghetto as in i felt unsafe just that the area is run down and dirty
Finn Maccumhail
AG
jake2011 said:

tx-ags14 said:

About 7 years late but wholeheartedly agree with the worst part of Houston being fifth ward. Worked off McCarty and I-10 for a year. Sometimes when there was a wreck on I-10 W I would detour through the 5th Ward along Lyons over to 59 Frontage road to Quitman to get back to the Heights. Truly third world levels of thoed over there.

Some of you obviously haven't been to 3rd world countries.

True.

I've not found these places in Houston that have dirt roads and shanties that look like they don't have indoor plumbing.

The places I've seen aren't so much 3rd world as they are gunshot-riddled drug warrens.
Zemira
AG
In my experience I am going to say the 5th ward is an interesting experience as a white female.

So I lived in NW Houston (except College) my whole life. I decided around 2011 I was moving ITL for a bit. I ended up in a nice place in the Heights near 11th/Studewood.

So 2012 rolls around and I need to vote (especially since it's a Presidential election year). I usually early vote to avoid crowds. I never voted on this side of town and you can early vote anywhere, but I wasn't gonna drive across town to vote. So I use the online early voting lookup and find the closest place to early vote. I wasn't paying much attention and thought the school or whatever was on the west side of I-45.

I put it into the GPS and head off. I get to a point where I go under 45 and I am thinking this can't be right. I am like it can't be that far right? Wrong. I end up on some school in the heart of the 5th ward. I didn't pass too many sketchy people so I am like I'm here I am going to vote.

I swear I am the only white person in the building. Everyone else is black or Hispanic and they are all looking at me when I come in. I go get in line and the poll worker asks if I am lost or I need help to get home. I tell here I am here to vote if this is a voting location. She gets me setup but everyone is watching me the entire time I was there. Strangest feeling ever having like 30 sets of eyes on you. I finish voting and leave.

Looking back almost 4.5 years later it probably wasn't the smartest idea to stay and vote, but I haven't gone back since to the 5th.

Now I live in a bubble near Cypress/Tomball.

And I always check addresses to make sure I know where they are.
schmellba99
AG
Sunnyside will get my vote.

It's always interesting when I drive down Airport in the evenings on the way home. Nothing like the "**** The Police" on one side and "Black men are kings that should be served" on the other side sign painted by the hefty Canadian with dreads and dressed like somebody out of Zamunda. Cullen and MLK is interesting, though if you go a block further north it gets even more interesting.

Probably doesn't make the top 10, but my old office was near Wilcrest and Bellfort. That's an interesting area. Even had a body floating in Keegan's Bayou one day. A couple of murders here and there as well. Pretty sure the car wash was a front for slangin the white powder.
jh0400
AG
The area around Bremond and Sampson in the 3rd Ward gets my vote.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Sounds like you got to experience what minorities go through when they have to do business in the bubble of Cypress/Tomball.

Nothing wrong with that, but I imagine it would give appreciation to how the other half lives. It helps to get out of the bubble every once in a while.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
My vote is the neighborhood of South Park. I went to high school there, and I've had enough ghetto experiences to last a lifetime as a result.

Other hoods may rival South Park, but none will surpass it.
Zemira
AG
While I do live in a bubble now, ITL was very diverse. My whole life apart from TAMU I have lived, gone to school or worked with a bunch of different people.

That is probably the only time I have ever felt uncomfortable.

I know I live in a bubble now, but my commute is only 15 minutes, whereas ITL I was looking at 45 minutes most days.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
HerschelwoodHardhead said:

Sounds like you got to experience what minorities go through when they have to do business in the bubble of Cypress/Tomball.
Ah yes, the moral equivalence of the Bloody Nickel and Tomball. Your chance of being criminally victimized in either is surely equal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.