Metroplex
Sponsored by

Spring storms 2019

118,055 Views | 939 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 752bro4
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Looks like we have our first lawsuit:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2019/06/11/woman-sues-dallas-apartments-crane-company-after-skimmed-death-fatal-collapse
Quote:

Macy Chiasson, a 27-year-old UFC fighter, filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Dallas County, claiming negligence led to the accident that killed 29-year-old Kiersten Symone Smith and and injured Chiasson and several others.
Rule #1

The Collective
AG
I am not very interested in this story.
Phat32
AG
CJS4715 said:

I am not very interested in this story.

Would hit you with a massive downburst
Hood
AG
Let's get this thread moving back in the right derecho.
jpd301
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Kingston's little b.... ass is tweeting about the slowness to fix traffic lights.
A few years ago, probably 2012-2014 ish, but still under Kingston's watch i believe, City traffic engineers told council they will need 250 million over 10 years to replace existing signals that are well past design life, are obsolete, etc. They got basically zilch.

The City has about 1350 signals. The typical design life is about 20 years though many on the street are well past that right now. In some instances, as you drive under some of the oldest ones, you can look up mast arms you can see daylight where there are rust holes completely through the structural steel.

I don't have exact figures handy but somewhere north of 70% of the 1350 signals are older than 25 years. Signals run $300-$400k now. The City needs to be spending about 20-25 million a year just rebuilding the old signals. Let alone the funding needed to build new signals from the growth in traffic.

- Edit -
Some of my numbers were off - here's the old council briefing.
https://www.scribd.com/document/184608063/Traffic-Signal-System-Upgrade-Needs
showtime
AG
The hell with traffic lights. Ray Hunt didn't elect Eric Johnson for traffic lights. Those can wait til after another decorative bridge and a park/tollway between the levees.
jpd301
AG
showtime said:

The hell with traffic lights. Ray Hunt didn't elect Eric Johnson for traffic lights. Those can wait til after another decorative bridge and a park/tollway between the levees.
That is so true. The decorative ped bridge that nobody can use would have funded 2/3 of the signal needs.
PatAg
AG
Like wanting to build a wall on a border when our infrastructure is failing across the count?
YouBet
AG
Deats said:

yukmonkey said:

I support the idea that there was briefly tornado conditions near Walnut Hill and Abrams.

There were 4 trees in a row smashed and a speed sign bent to the ground by the base.

I really think it was a massive microburst after looking at South Addison, Hamilton Park, and Eastern LH. Everything was slammed to the ground. Very little was ripped up. But it was extremely powerful.

I could get on board with a tornado but think it was probably massive microburst. When I stepped outside at the peak of this (not realizing it was the peak), all I heard was a horrific sound I've never heard before in any storm. Immediately thought "tornado!!!" and went to interior. It was a surreal cataclysmic sound.

On another note, I walked outside this morning to survey my front yard. As I'm standing there....BAM!!!....something slams into my head. I immediately thought a lingering branch had fallen post storm.

Nope... I look up and see a red tailed hawk flying away from me. Lands on nearest branch and then just proceeds to stare at me. I had a headache all day from him kamikaze-img my head. Scared the absolute sh^t out of me. I guess I'm lucky he body slammed me and didn't use beak or claws.
jpd301
AG
SIAP I looked back a few pages and didn't see it. Some dudes camera on his Tesla caught the storm as he parked to ride it out for a few minutes. The 3 minutes from 5:30 to 8:30 are wild.

In 20 years in the metroplex I can only think of 1-2 storms personally that were remotely similar to those few minutes.

What those few minutes really remind me of is Hurricane Alicia and Rita.

hatchback
AG
jpd301 said:

SIAP I looked back a few pages and didn't see it. Some dudes camera on his Tesla caught the storm as he parked to ride it out for a few minutes. The 3 minutes from 5:30 to 8:30 are wild.

In 20 years in the metroplex I can only think of 1-2 storms personally that were remotely similar to those few minutes.

What those few minutes really remind me of is Hurricane Alicia and Rita.

Oh. My.
PatAg
AG
It really was astonishing. We knew it would be a strong storm, but seeing the trees whip around like that outside my window was still very disconcerting.
Boat Shoes
AG
One of these guys has likely already posted on this thread. Not a great place to be caught in a microburst!

https://instagr.am/p/BygGpT2A7wA
MattAg06
AG
Wife and I were driving home from lunch and going up Hillcrest when all this hit. We live right by Fretz Park, so the taint of this storm ran right over that area. Can't believe we made it home in one piece..
LHIOB
AG
Boat Shoes said:

One of these guys has likely already posted on this thread. Not a great place to be caught in a microburst!

I was behind one of those carts. It was not fun.
Wheatables02
AG
LHIOB said:

Boat Shoes said:

I was behind one of those carts. It was not fun.

That Rob yelling holy ***** ??
hbc07
AG
Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect until 8pm. Looks like something could possibly hit the northside of the metroplex within 2-3 hours.
hatchback
AG
Things are firing up out west.

LHIOB
AG
Lets hope it misses us
hbc07
AG
Looks like the worst of this current batch is heading towards Frisco/Plano
AW 1880
AG
Somebody tweet at Corby and let him know there's a storm coming.
aggielostinETX
AG
Tornado warning for north Dallas
hbc07
AG
Sirens in Carrollton
J.P. 03
AG
LHIOB
AG
Possible tornado in Irving

Storm is headed right for the Creeks again...
wangus12
AG
Phat32
aggielostinETX
AG
Pretty well defined on radar, looks pretty big
hatchback
AG
Van Buren Boy
AG
Sirens in Richardson
YouBet
AG
F me that's right by our house. We are out of town.
Absolute
AG
Is it just me, or is it starting to feel like we are living in Sanderson's Way of Kings world?
John Francis Donaghy
YouBet said:

F me that's right by our house. We are out of town.

The tornado warning is about to expire, and the storm has weakened enough that it is not expected to be renewed.

Not nearly as strong of a storm as last week. Your hiuse should be fine.
hatchback
AG
Power is out in Hollywood Heights.
aggielostinETX
AG
Just watched cloud rotation pass over my house at Plano Rd and 635

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.