Metroplex
Sponsored by

Spring storms 2019

117,220 Views | 939 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 752bro4
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hatchback said:

Old Tom Morris said:

Rubber-neckers are causing an issue too. I remember going through Moore, OK a few weeks after a tornado cut across I-35. Created a very long backup on I-35 for no reason other than people looking.

Things were a lot better today in the neighborhood behind the SE corner of Preston/Royal. Police are actively checking IDs of residents or work orders from contractors. Neighbors are handling traffic management.

People like me (immediate family member who's parents are out of town, but lives elsewhere in Dallas) have a hard time getting in. Thankfully a cop this morning informed me of a back route in to my street.

Things are slowly getting better. At least the local disaster tourists are staying home.

No real way for them to get there cheaply
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Walnut Hill is still closed right? Waze and Apple Maps are both sending me down it from 75 to Inwood.
bthotugigem05
AG
Walnut Hill is open completely
Ol Jock 99
AG
Do I trust Waze?
Robert C. Christian
AG
75 to be shutdown tonight for 30 minutes.
Phat32
AG
I've never seen anything like both the construction volume at Royal/Preston and the devastation at Lavendale/Royal. Hopefully will be able to post some photos here in a little bit.

Royal/Preston is just a constant stream of city/contractor trucks with police shuttling them in. It's pretty impressive.
aggielostinETX
AG
Greenville Ave is a ****ing mess

AggieKatie2 said:
bthotugigem05
AG
No. Waze, at least the other day, wasn't factoring in the entire road closures, only the intersections where they were first closed.
aggielostinETX
AG
Must be 20-30 lineman's trucks on 635 East

AggieKatie2 said:
YouBet
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Do I trust Waze?
Hell no! It's trash.
AG
havent seen any pics of the SW corner of preston and royal. Will I be eating at Saucys ever again?
aggielostinETX
AG
lt230 said:

havent seen any pics of the SW corner of preston and royal. Will I be eating at Saucys ever again?

It's pretty much the same as the SE corner.

AggieKatie2 said:
AG
Phat32
AG
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/10/preston-hollow-north-dallas-tornado-damage/?ref=mpw

- Preston/Royal
double aught
AG
lt230 said:

Shake Shack survived.
FriscoKid
AG
I would pay for some slabs of those really old trees. I assume they are just being chopped up though.
AG
FriscoKid
AG
lt230 said:

FriscoKid said:

I would pay for some slabs of those really old trees. I assume they are just being chopped up though.

When I lost my 80 year old pecan in June my buddy helped me clear it and took some big chunks and tried to sell them. He didnt make enough to cover the gas and bar oil

I was going to use them. I could sell the final product for sure.
752bro4
AG
Bump
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quick and powerful. Sounds...familiar.
aggielostinETX
AG
OJ99 and I just had lightning hit between our houses that are 1/4 apart.
That was fun. It actually popped breakers in both houses.

AggieKatie2 said:
Phat32
AG
Hell of a front. Office windows are creaking.
aggielostinETX
AG
Yep, Winter is coming
hatchback
AG
DMN just announced that the southeast corner of Preston/Royal will have to be rebuilt. Basically everything except Central Market and maybe the building which houses Neighborhood Services/White House Black Market/etc. will have to be demolished.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2019/12/03/a-large-section-of-preston-and-royals-southeast-corner-has-to-be-demolished/

Quote:

Much of the Preston Oaks shopping center on the southeast corner of Preston Road and Royal Lane will be demolished starting this month.

A large section of the buildings along the south side of the shopping center has to be scrapped, according to initial plans disclosed Tuesday by property owner Regency Center.

Preston Oaks will be rebuilt in stages, with Central Market, McDonald's and a building along Preston Road reopening first, said Regency Centers spokesman Eric Davidson.
After seeing that damage first hand, I'm not surprised that it's all coming down.
akaggie05
AG
Crazy. Grew up down the street from there... my folks barely missed the tornado (if they lived six houses down they would be tearing down the remnants right now instead of fixing their fence and disposing of fallen limbs).

I remember the spot where Central Market is now used to be a Borders bookstore for a long time, and before that it was a Federated department store. The building with NHS used to be Orvis, maybe something else too? Also remember a ratty looking building about where NHS is now that had a Pearle Vision in it.

Opposite corner... where Specs is now used to be the location of one of the first Blockbuster videos (first in the country was at NW Hwy and Abrams).

Ok, enough reminiscing... glad they're moving out on the rebuild.
hatchback
AG
You and I share the same memories of that shopping center. I grew up on the 6300 block of Pemberton - the block that dead ends into St. Marks tennis courts. My parents are working to repair their house right now.

Amazingly, the Gazeebo Burgers gazeebo made it through the storm.
AG
Did that borders used to be called book stop?
akaggie05
AG
Negative. Book Stop was at Preston/Forest, next to where Corner Bakery is now.
AG
Ah. Knew it was around there somewhere. When did it close?
akaggie05
AG
I know it was there through most of the early 90s. May have closed around 95-96 or so.
752bro4
AG
Bump

1 year anniversary of the tornados that ripped through Dallas.

Some observations - Home Depot already back up (as of about a week or two ago), an office building just west of HD has been leveled, another one on the west side of 75 has been leveled, the shopping center with MedVet is back to normal, Academy closed right before this, and had 3-4 homeless guys there last week when i went to HD.
Central Market said April or May 2021
The rest of the SE corner of Preston/Royal is completely demolished other than the pad sites (McDonalds, Bundt Cakes, other stores).
NHS Bar & Grill took the opportunity to go ahead and close down permanently (we were told it was their least profitable restaurant and there was a managerial issue there as well)

SW Corner of Preston/Royal is still mostly down. The Royal-facing retail area there is still being re-built, as well as the new bank that had just opened. The small office building behind there is still being re-built, the Preston-facing retail is mostly back.

St. Marks looks mostly back together from what I can see driving down Preston.

Several houses on Royal between Hillcrest/Boedeker have been leveled, especially on the south side facing that pond/lake. Most of the lots remain for sale ($1MM each +/-), and several houses on Brookshire, Orchid, and Tulip are still being re-built, and a couple were knocked down for lots, with 1-2 already framed.

There are a few other reminders out there that I see every day, the leaning brick wall on Hillcrest between Meadow and Royal, a suburban in its driveway on Royal that hasn't moved, windows still blown out, and still several tarps on roofs, especially just south of Royal and DNT (very visible from DNT).

It's still amazing no one was killed during this. My wife and I had a contract on a house at the corner of Hillcrest and Orchid in early 2017 that we terminated, and we're thankful. Here's the streetview and what was on the front page of the DMN at one point. It was demo'd this summer and they're re-building a monstrosity on it now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.