Metroplex
Sponsored by

Gas?

10,953 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jtmoney03
ntxVol
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jet1085T said:

Quick Trip app lets you know if they have gas. Ave K and Plano Parkway; Beltline & 75 both have gas

Drove by that one on my way to lunch, the line is pretty ridiculous.
Legal Custodian
AG
My company (Oil & Gas services) just sent out an email telling us to work from home tomorrow and possibly Tuesday of next week. Could it be them overreacting? Sure. But I'm happy just having a psuedo-4 day weekend.

I was on E, so I went out to lunch to try and get gas. I passed 6 gas stations in Fort Worth that were sold out or had lines 40 deep before I found a rinky-dink little gas station that only had two pumps but had plenty. Although the guy told me they'll run out by 2pm today.
91AggieLawyer
AG
OK, but... most people fill up between once a week and once every two weeks, depending on how much they drive. It is unlikely they will be driving more due to any shortage (real or perceived) and it isn't like the normal person can hoard gas. Instead of filling up on empty, they're just filling up when they're on a quarter, half, or three quarters of a tank. In other words, between Tuesday and today, maybe 40-60 percent of drivers would fill up (or put gas in their car) ANYWAY. I split evenly 3 out of 7 and 3 out of 14 with a huge error built in. I filled up Monday, as did my wife.

While this isn't normal behavior, can it be THAT big of a surge in quantity demanded that cause a supply issue?

And, now that they filled up in the last 3 days, most won't need gas for a week or more. The earliest I'll need it is Monday and a week from tomorrow for my wife.

I don't think it is quite as simple as saying the gas stations running out are SOLELY due to panic buying. Maybe partially; maybe even in large part. But keep in mind that there was going to be a higher than average quantity demanded this week/weekend anyway due to the holiday. If anything, people are likely driving less in the last day or two -- and into the weekend -- due to (again, real or perceived) shortages.

Am I wrong here?
Phat32
AG
I got an email just now from the realtor's office that helped me buy a house 4 years ago.

It was someone in their internal department telling them to get gas, and they were "passing along the message".

Peak hysteria.
ntxVol
91AggieLawyer said:

OK, but... most people fill up between once a week and once every two weeks, depending on how much they drive. It is unlikely they will be driving more due to any shortage (real or perceived) and it isn't like the normal person can hoard gas. Instead of filling up on empty, they're just filling up when they're on a quarter, half, or three quarters of a tank. In other words, between Tuesday and today, maybe 40-60 percent of drivers would fill up (or put gas in their car) ANYWAY. I split evenly 3 out of 7 and 3 out of 14 with a huge error built in. I filled up Monday, as did my wife.

While this isn't normal behavior, can it be THAT big of a surge in quantity demanded that cause a supply issue?

And, now that they filled up in the last 3 days, most won't need gas for a week or more. The earliest I'll need it is Monday and a week from tomorrow for my wife.

I don't think it is quite as simple as saying the gas stations running out are SOLELY due to panic buying. Maybe partially; maybe even in large part. But keep in mind that there was going to be a higher than average quantity demanded this week/weekend anyway due to the holiday. If anything, people are likely driving less in the last day or two -- and into the weekend -- due to (again, real or perceived) shortages.

Am I wrong here?
Look at the lines again and think about it.
Legal Custodian
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Am I wrong here?
Seems logical to me. Just like most things, I'm sure it's somewhere in the middle.
reservoir ag
AG
From the Denton County Scanner

Douglass Distributing
1:45pm Update
STATEMENT COMMUNITY CONCERNS ON FUEL SUPPLY

"Douglass Distributing would like to educate everyone on the current fuel shortage that we are experiencing. The shortage is a result of a southern refinery shutting down temporarily during the storms of Hurricane Harvey. We want everyone to know that we still have access to plenty of fuel the lines that our delivery trucks are waiting in are just much longer because of the refinery shut down.

There is NO outage. There is fuel. Each delivery is just taking longer right now.

We want to assure everyone that we have all of our delivery trucks out running 24 hours resupplying our local communities in North Texas and Southern Oklahoma.

We ask all of our neighbors make fuel purchases as you normally would the worst thing we can do as a community is all of us showing up at one time to get fuel. This is creating an additional challenge for each delivery.

If the community reacts that way then we may cause the outage at an individual location.

We do not expect the delivery delays to last any longer than 1 week.

Be safe."

Legal Custodian
AG
So exactly what we thought, there's a shortage because tankers can't refill the stations fast enough. The situation is exacerbated because of the panic. I think by the sunday or monday we'll be fine.
Hood
AG
reservoir ag said:

We ask all of our neighbors make fuel purchases as you normally would the worst thing we can do as a community is all of us showing up at one time to get fuel. This is creating an additional challenge for each delivery.
And this is exactly what everyone is doing.
Robert C. Christian
AG
So glad I am flying to LA tonight. When I fill up at the end of next week, this should all be blown over. Well, everything except for the high prices.
Ag CPA
AG
I do know that stations here were shipping gas down to Corpus/Victoria, etc., last weekend to support the relief operations. Add the disruptions from the refineries and the hysteria from the media this morning and you get the perfect storm.
Phat32
AG
so #fakenews ?
MW03
AG
It's a bank run, plain and simple. The ****ty part is for those of us that went to be last night with a quarter of a tank thanks to the people topping off and then running inside for a drink and pack of smokes with their car in the stall. Toss in labor day travel, and it's a mess.
walton91
My company in DFW just sent out a "Stay safe over Labor Day weekend" email, and at the end included the line "If you feel there is too much risk in not being able to get to and from work tomorrow, Sep. 1, with the fuel in your tank, you may consider working from home with permission from your supervisor". Everyone's response was predictably "Cool, we get to work from home tomorrow!". No. You'd think it was 1979 all over again by people's reaction.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I saw a fuel truck at a gas station a little while ago. I saw at least 2 other stations that had lines and another one that didn't, but had some cars and what appeared to be signs on the pumps. I suspect overnight there will be a big refueling.
drmwvr
AG
Everyone needs to leave this weekend so ALL GAS WILL BE MINE!
Goose
AG
MW03 said:

It's a bank run, plain and simple. The ****ty part is for those of us that went to be last night with a quarter of a tank thanks to the people topping off and then running inside for a drink and pack of smokes with their car in the stall. Toss in labor day travel, and it's a mess.
It is, but the saving grace in this situation is that the vast majority of people really don't have the additional capacity to store much more than what'll fit in their vehicles.
Goose
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I saw a fuel truck at a gas station a little while ago. I saw at least 2 other stations that had lines and another one that didn't, but had some cars and what appeared to be signs on the pumps. I suspect overnight there will be a big refueling.
Yup.
spencerdhg
AG
Sat in line for about an hour in Richardson and had to pay $3.49/gallon this afternoon.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Quote:

reservoir ag said:
And this is exactly what everyone is doing.

OK. Those of you with last names starting with A-L, you get gas today. Those of you with last names starting in M-Z, you get gas tomorrow.
Gigem Trevas
http://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/news/local/texas-news/railroad-commissioner-theres-no-fuel-crisis-in-texas/287-469658632
InternetFan02
AG
Wife went to local QuikTrip. Was directed to get in line behind a lawn truck and crew. They proceeded to fill up every single engine and gas canister on the trailer, then went inside and bought a bunch of water jugs...emptied the jugs and filled them all with gas.
culdeus
AG
Every single gas station I passed on way home was out of control
drewser95
AG
From Tyler:
Quote:

I read on Facebook that there's no gasoline in Dallas," Sharon Anderson said as she waited at the gas pump outside of her mid-size SUV. "I really don't need gas right now - I've got three quarters of a tank - but I'm topping off.

A dangerous trifecta of panic, greed...and false rumors on Facebook.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/300131/panic-buying-closed-roads-causing-some-gas-shortages
Absolute
AG
I was pretty willing to give the media a pass and overall positive grade on the coverage of Harvey. Was it sensational, sure. But not terribly so once the winds stopped and the floods started. For many if us here, it was the main aceess into what was happening.

But they (and that idiot QT guy) along with idiots on social media are totally to blame for this panicked run on gas. Even today, after multiple sources in the know proclaimed this was all panic driven, they were still running stories to feed the flames. While in the footnote tease, adding that we may not need to worry. They could have help to avoid the problem, and choose not to. That is almost criminal.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Thanks stay at home Facebook moms for helping the media spread their lies. I think 1 out of 10 stay at home Dallas moms I've met are tolerable. The rest are ignorant, busy bodied, pill popping, ****ty mothers that allow their kids to break everything inside restaurants while mom is busy facebooking. "Raiden don't break that topo Chico bottle, just swallow this Xanax and adderal."
AG
Mr_mo8268 said:

Thanks stay at home Facebook moms for helping the media spread their lies. I think 1 out of 10 stay at home Dallas moms I've met are tolerable. The rest are ignorant, busy bodied, pill popping, ****ty mothers that allow their kids to break everything inside restaurants while mom is busy facebooking. "Raiden don't break that topo Chico bottle, just swallow this Xanax and adderal."

Xanax Adderal and a kid or 2? They sound like "aspiring dental hygienists", not stay at home moms!

txwxman
Mr_mo8268 said:

Good post. Concluding with Raiden, which screams "look at my kid's modern and obscure name", made it POTD material.
FC12
Mr_mo8268 said:

Want to be best friends????
MsDoubleD81
AG
Never understood why they call them "Stay at home" when they're never there.......it's just as you described.
Ernest Tucker
AG
leave it to Dallas to spontaneously self inflict chaos when Houston is getting all the attention.

permabull
AG
culdeus
AG
Any reports from today? I went out briefly last night and passed 3 stations, 2 of them with huge lines, and 1 shut down.
J.P. 03
AG
All the gas stations around me in Lake Highlands were still out, but the Gas Buddy tracker led me to one at Walnut Hill and Audelia that had one pump open...selling only premium.....for $3.39 a gallon. Had to wait behind 7 cars for the privilege, too.
hatchback
AG
There's a massive line of cars wrapped around and through the shopping center to get gas at the Green Spot this morning. It's ridiculous. I want to go tell each and everyone one of those morons that they're part of the problem.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.