Metroplex
Sponsored by

Richardson Drama - Getting Good

39,761 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by EllisCoAg
DallasAggie0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I almost worked for that company. I basically had informal salary negotiations and then at the last minute the person who had been recommending me ghosted and I found out a few months later they had left the company.

I was kinda pissed at the time but damn it worked out.
culdeus
AG
TAMU87 said:

How do you know they each turned down a plea deal for each of them to serve 5 years?

This was leaked thru the DA office. And AFAIK she turned down the 5 year offer. It isn't clear what offer he got, if anything.

I mean the fact they got married somewhat complicates things. Of course, I imagine that was the goal.
kwammer
not sure their marriage makes a big difference, as most(if not all) of the illegal activity happened well before marriage.

2wealfth Man
AG
TAMU87 said:

Here is indictment written up. As others have said its sad the first time they banged was in a holiday inn express.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4468047-Indictment-Laura-Maczka.html

She turned down a plea that would have had both of them looking at 5 years.

How do you know they each turned down a plea deal for each of them to serve 5 years?
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once and never got banged.......
Robert C. Christian
AG
kwammer said:

not sure their marriage makes a big difference, as most(if not all) of the illegal activity happened well before marriage.

Can't testify against a spouse? Or m I just watching too many movies?
powerbelly
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

kwammer said:

Robert C. Christian
Bismarck
AG
Robert C. Christian said:

kwammer said:

Different states, different laws.
TheFonz
AG
I see where Laura (Maczka) and Mark Jordan's bribery trial is set to get underway today. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I did some googling to refresh my memory on the details, and while doing so, took a look at her Wiki page. It looks like either she or a family member wrote it. Or maybe her lawyer. LOL
culdeus
AG
Was going to bump this.

Heard a rumour she rented out a ballroom for her victory party in three weeks.

FBI has subpoenaed some really random people to come testify. Prosecutor has an undefeated record. Will see how this goes.

Local media seems not to care anymore.
culdeus
AG
Also would point out if it wasn't for the ethics push this would never have gone anywhere. The CC was required to turn it over to the Dallas DA and they flipped it to the FBI. FBI was already looking at Jordan so Mazca got pulled in as a bonus ride along.

Coppell97
AG
Dallas morning news has article out on it now.
wbt5845
AG
She looks like she'd be a freak in the sack.
culdeus
AG
Haven't heard anything coming out of this, but one small anecdote. When all the ethics complaint stuff started up there were 3 people that went to the effort of putting in the paperwork formally.

I actually considered putting in a 4th one because seeing the complaints I felt there were some gaps in the way the timeline was presented in a couple of them leaving areas about the actual council's role in this open to interpretation. Not shockingly, she's basing her defense on the fact that the council went 5-2, but whatever.

So anyways, you would think Richardson would treat them all as one case, but no. They hired an attorney who charged them out for each complaint to the tune of $40,000 each plus expenses that totaled $183k for all 3.

Your tax dollars at work folks.
culdeus
AG
Prosecution rested today, defense has started. Expecting to go to jury later this week.
culdeus
AG
Guilty
leoj
AG
Good. She needs to turn her ring in.
culdeus
AG
culdeus said:

She said it in the meeting, she lost her insurance and her skin cancer came back so she plowed through her divorce money (didn't say this but it was 100k as leaked by husband). Then we know she did a major remodel on their house mid last year so it was mortgaged pretty good and he gave her the house in the divorce. She couldn't make the payments on her medical and lifestyle so she mortgaged it even deeper.

She had to get a job to prevent being completely felted. So Mark stepped in to rescue her. It was probably the cleanest option she had available. If she took money under the table she'd probably look at serious jail time. It's hard to keep money clean these days with all the systems in place, and to be honest she probably though she had everyone beat.

The way this was done it appears they did their homework and found out she'd likely never see jail time if they did it exactly this way. Pretty smart, actually.

And so here we are.

I'll file this under posts that didn't age well.
bco2003
AG
Laura messed up in multiple ways, but her most significant screw-up:

Didn't enroll in John Wiley Price's seminar of how to slither out of federal charges despite being flagrantly guilty.
powerbelly
AG
bco2003 said:

Didn't enroll in John Wiley Price's seminar of how to slither out of federal charges despite being flagrantly guilty.
She didn't have the right dirt on the right people like JWP.
culdeus
AG
powerbelly said:

bco2003 said:

She didn't have the right dirt on the right people like JWP.
JWP had dozens and dozens of shell companies, that all did work with each other and his buddies and he insisted people use them for legit and non-legit biz. His complexity here was so high that the feds never could unravel it.

He also did most of his crime before computers and tech. That also helps.
kwammer
Happy to see them both convicted but those awful apartments are there to stay....
Texker
AG
kwammer said:

Happy to see them both convicted but those awful apartments are there to stay....
Yeah, made my blood boil every time I drove by that crap. It's not the only reason we moved out of the neighborhood but it was a factor.
jpd301
AG
Quote:

Former Richardson mayor, developer get new bribery trial due to court officer's meddling with juror

A federal judge in Sherman on Thursday granted a new trial for the former mayor of Richardson and her developer husband, who were convicted in a federal bribery and corruption case, due to a court security officer's inappropriate comments to a distraught juror.

But U.S. District Judge Amos Mazzant ruled that the court security officer's comments to the hold-out juror prior to the verdict "likely altered the course of deliberations in a meaningful way."
Link to the story but they don't have a link to the ruling or any quote of the comments.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/05/02/former-richardson-mayor-developer-get-new-bribery-trial-due-court-officers-meddling-juror
DallasAggie0
That is an effing joke right? A whole new trial?
culdeus
AG
Juror 11 had to be coached that it was ok to send a lady to jail? WTF?

Wonder if they plea now. Word was they were looking at 8 and 12 years and would expect to serve 90% of each.
wbt5845
AG
91AggieLawyer
AG
culdeus said:

Juror 11 had to be coached that it was ok to send a lady to jail? WTF?

Wonder if they plea now. Word was they were looking at 8 and 12 years and would expect to serve 90% of each.

Retrials would favor the defense, especially if they spoke with the jurors that voted to convict after the first trial and asked something along the lines of, "what could we have done to raise reasonable doubt?" The prosecution likely fired their best shot and in a retrial aren't going to get much better.

With that said, the defense needs to be in plea negotiations. The prosecution will likely keep a similar minded juror off the panel next time.
TheFonz
AG
Unbelievable something like this could happen. Guarantee they will walk a second time around.
culdeus
AG
TheFonz said:

Unbelievable something like this could happen. Guarantee they will walk a second time around.
Sounds like Jordan is completely felted. He had to shuffle around all the assets he had in his name to get liquid enough just to pay the lawyers on the first bounce to the tune of 2 Mil.

I guess federal laws would say he can't raid Sooner and it sounds like that is like 150% leveraged anyways.

While he avoids jail time for now, he won't avoid losing every damn dime this scam he ran made him.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
What apartments are these?
fightinags2013
AG
I think they're referring to the Palisades just east of canyon creek. Not %100 on that. Can anyone confirm?
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Interesting. I live very close to those and now they're building homes right in front of them on the other side of them opposite of 75
double aught
AG
Are they a plague on your neighborhood like some were claiming they would be? They seem nice enough driving by at 70mph.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.