Austin
Sponsored by

Question about prop b

11,292 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aust Ag
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wadd96
AG
Baby steps..
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
cityagboy
AG
cityagboy
AG
So I reached out to someone I think I can trust. The section with detailed boundaries is where it describes where laying on sidewalks (in doorways) is not allowed. Camping and aggressive panhandling would be banned citywide.
wadd96
AG
Not mad at you. Mad at the ****hole the Silly Council has allowed this town to become.
tamc91
AG
The city probably doesn't have the legal authority to ban camping on state rights of way. The governor could clear those camps out now if he desires by ordering DPS to vacate them and move people to the state-owned camp area east of I-35. They did all this pre-COVID. It seemed relatively effective.

It is possible they are waiting until the vote to minimize negative press the opposition could use. After the vote, no matter the outcome, I anticipate the state and county will start to crack down on illegal camping on their property. There have been at least 3 recent fires in camps that either damaged the structures or shut down traffic. The public safety issues are real.
Potcake
AG
tamc91 said:

The city probably doesn't have the legal authority to ban camping on state rights of way. The governor could clear those camps out now if he desires by ordering DPS to vacate them and move people to the state-owned camp area east of I-35.

Abbott will not do anything if he thinks he can pin the blame on CoA. He's disingenuous and a panderer.
evan_aggie
AG
Every city council member is likely to suggest constituents vote no. Amazing we have amped up yearly spending to $65-70M ($20,000 a person) and the federal govt is giving $400M that we are going to spend for this as well.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I live in a very liberal part of central Austin and even they are done with the camping
Tobias Funke
AG
I just cannot imagine that more people in this city support the camping than oppose it.

But then again, I've gotten used to being surprised by these things.
evan_aggie
AG
Tobias Funke said:

I just cannot imagine that more people in this city support the camping than oppose it.

People will argue: I don't support camping in public, but I don't want to criminalize people being homeless.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Three blocks away from me, a naked homeless dude broke into a house in broad daylight, stole a knife and attacked the homeowner who was in the shower. Homeowner wasn't stabbed.

His camp was on the Walnut Creek hike and bike trail. They aren't supposed to camp there anyhow. You ride along it and can smell urine. Last time I took my kiddo on a trail through the woods a dude was standing outside his tent taking a leak.

I've got dogs trained to bite for real, guns, and cameras; but because we are so close to the trail my kid can't even bike to a friends house alone to play. Biding my time until Tesla (ten mins away) and the development a mile ip the road are done then I'm out. Until then, voting for Prop B and hoping this stupid city council is voted out, and people willing to make a difference are voted in.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
They will make that argument but the point that should be reiterated to them is being homeless is not illegal, but camping outside is, there are homeless shelters across the city that can be used. I've only seen one yard sign supporting camping and it was torn down in two days
The Dirty Sock
Tobias Funke said:

The opponents are strongly showing this proposition as a REPUBLICAN effort. Seriously. That's all they got. "oh, the republicans support it. It must be bad. vote against."
barbacoa taco
AG
Tobias Funke said:

People are saying that you're a NIMBY if you vote for prop B.

To which I respond, "then propose a better solution, because what we're doing now isn't working."
Throwout
AG
Even if it passes, I would be very surprised to see any changes in terms of removing the campers. Austin leadership will continue to look the other way stating that they're "working on a solution" and will "remove the campers once a humane solution has been identified." It will have to come from Abbott at the top and he talks a big game but I don't think he has the stones to see it through. The damage has been done and unfortunately, I think this is the best it's ever going to be. It's only going to get worse. The toothpaste is already out of the tube.
Frozen Concoction
It seems the best practical solution was the camping ban as it previously existed. The homeless had to stay out of the way. Law enforcement had the camping ban as a tool to get them to move along when they were being a nuisance. There was no incentive for homeless across the region to come to Austin versus any other city.

As for what will happen should Prop B pass, it's hard to say. I'd imagine the city won't want to enforce it. I'd imagine APD isn't interested in the hassle after the city council's antics over the past year, but maybe they'll enforce it out of a sense of civic duty. Hell, I'd take spite as a motivation at this point. MAYBE DPS could shoot them out of state highway right of ways. It may be that we'll have to organize a Simpson's-style Whacking Day.

Meanwhile, a homeless dude wandered into the Academy on 183 and stabbed someone in the shoulder in the middle of the afternoon on Saturday.
cityagboy
AG
cityagboy
AG
cityagboy
AG
Throwout
AG
I'm not saying APD doesn't support it. The problem is they're going to take their direction from Austin leadership which more than likely means it's not going to be a priority. They definitely did a good job prior to the camping ban being lifted, but this problem is exponentially bigger now with the significant increase in homeless that have made Austin their "home" and it will be made more difficult due the reduced police force. The task force that used to patrol many of these areas was eliminated when they defunded APD. A reduced police force coupled with the Austin population explosion (both homeless and not homeless) means this situation isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And that's assuming Prop B passes. Austin talks a big game about voting, and wanting a better city, but the numbers show it's all talk.
cityagboy
AG
wadd96
AG
I live in Pflugerville so I don't get a say... But whenever I go down 183, it looks like crap.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I cannot imagine this thing failing. I know 0 people, even the most left leaning, who is ok with what is going on
The Fall Guy
AG
Your move citizens of Austin!
Throwout
AG
I agree with you, but I live in Hyde Park and it's full of Vote No on Prop B signs...We Need Homes Not Handcuffs. And unfortunately, those are the folks that show up in droves to vote. Those same voters got these idiots on City Council and will do so again if people don't start getting out and making their voices heard.
barbacoa taco
AG
Throwout said:

I agree with you, but I live in Hyde Park and it's full of Vote No on Prop B signs...We Need Homes Not Handcuffs. And unfortunately, those are the folks that show up in droves to vote. Those same voters got these idiots on City Council and will do so again if people don't start getting out and making their voices heard.
Oh man. eye roll.

Prop B is a good thing because it will force these people to come up with a new solution. If Prop B fails they'll just sit back and not care because they are being "compassionate."
tailgatetimer10
AG
This pisses me off. Identity politics is so annoying. God forbid we agree on something.
cityagboy
AG
cityagboy
AG
barbacoa taco
AG
Rhonda the Rash said:

larry culpepper said:

Throwout said:

Oh man. eye roll.

Prop B is a good thing because it will force these people to come up with a new solution. If Prop B fails they'll just sit back and not care because they are being "compassionate."

We do need homes. We do need housing. We do need more shelters. All of those things are necessary to reduce the homeless problem across the entire country.

ALSO... camping provides a false sense of security to the homeless, creates a health and safety issue for everyone, and gives politicians an excuse not to actually help homeless.
Exactly. I have zero faith the city council would try to solve the problem if prop B fails.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I am voting this weekend. Thoughts on the other propositions while we have a diverse group of ideas in this thread?

Prop A Gives Fire Fighters the ability to participate in arbitration
Prop C Police oversight appointed by city manager, changed to city council appointment
Prop D: Moves mayor voting to presidential election year
Prop E: Allows for ranked voting
Prop F: Diverts some power to the mayor vs city council appointed city manager
Prop G: adding city council district
Prop H: gives 50 dollar vouchers to contribute to city council or mayor

Maybe I do not understand these props, but at a high level its a "NO" for me to anything after prop B
cityagboy
AG
A - yes
Seems fair and benificial to firefighters
B - yes
Stated above
C - yes
Had nothing to do with funding. Only accountability.
D - yes
Would get more people to vote which is always good
E - yes
Would save me a trip to vote for runoffs...
F - no
I don't want any mayor of a city I live in to have more power
G - yes
I will almost always support more representation
H - no
Waste of money and not the way to solve the problem they are trying to solve
cityagboy
AG
G is adding a city council district

H is the money for candidates
tailgatetimer10
AG
Thank you for the correction. Edited

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.