Austin
Sponsored by

Question about prop b

11,424 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aust Ag
rcannaday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mayor already said this morning that "It will take a while to begin enforcement"... i.e. tough luck. Glad the strong-mayor proposal was also defeated and democracy dollars...
500,000ags
AG
I could not be more happy with this vote. Sane people voting for sane things.
YouBet
AG
rcannaday said:

Mayor already said this morning that "It will take a while to begin enforcement"... i.e. tough luck. Glad the strong-mayor proposal was also defeated and democracy dollars...

Take a while = never.

Unless they supplement with state resources like Dallas had to do for a while.
XXXVII
rcannaday said:

Can Abbot "roll in" and make them enforce it?
evan_aggie
AG
500,000ags said:

I could not be more happy with this vote. Sane people voting for sane things.

And not a single council member outside of D6? Supporter prop B.
Topher17
AG
rcannaday said:

I don't think you'll see the city enforce much of it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see state right-of-ways get cleaned up pretty swiftly by TxDOT at Abbott's request.
I'd heard from some that they believed the only reason the state controlled areas hadn't been cleaned up was because Abbott and others didn't want the visual prior to the vote to be used against them during the campaign.
cityagboy
AG
Alders response this morning. (Below)

The city council housing committee will be meeting tomorrow to create a plan to present to the full city council.

APD has also supported this and did a good job of enforcing before camping was allowed.

This won't go away quickly but I do believe we will start seeing progress. Hopefully it will be done responsibly.
Agthatbuilds
He's setting it up for they can stay in tents until they have housing.

Nope, enforce the law. Fine people, then arrest people.

If you can offer an area to consolidate camping, great. Do so. People can go there, leave austin, or face the consequences.

It's not the local govts job to rehab people. If there's enough support charities, non profits and private citizens will step up.
maverick2076
There's a big difference between APD before the ban was lifted and now. They don't have the personnel, the support of the city council, or a DA that believes in enforcing the law. I hope they can enforce this, but I expect them to be severely hamstrung by the city, the DA, and a lack of resources.
KT 90
AG
maverick2076 said:

There's a big difference between APD before the ban was lifted and now. They don't have the personnel, the support of the city council, or a DA that believes in enforcing the law. I hope they can enforce this, but I expect them to be severely hamstrung by the city, the DA, and a lack of resources.

Sadly, this is true. We will need help from the state level, as you know Adler and his crew will do as little as possible to alleviate the situation.
Sandman98
AG
KT 90 said:

maverick2076 said:

Sadly, this is true. We will need help from the state level, as you know Adler and his crew will do as little as possible to alleviate the situation.

Does anyone think baby steps like this prevent him from becoming Ted Wheeler 2.0 and that he's actually relieved (He could never admit it if so)?

Probably not.
rcannaday
AG
#RecallAdler is our only hope
Aust Ag
AG
So let's say he gets recalled, who do you think will step in?
wadd96
AG
Comrade Cesar.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
KT 90
AG
My understanding is that a recall is not really an option anymore. I don't have all the exact details, but once the recall petition was denied (due to signature verifications I believe, may be multiple reasons); we are stuck with him until the 2022 election. But the good news is that he is not eligible to run for re-election.

KT 90
AG
There was a second petition for recall started, but it fell apart. I believe the timing of getting another one started and completed, and then verified and then get it on a ballot is what makes us be stuck with him. By the time all that happened, it would be time for the next round of elections. That's the quick version of my understanding anyway. I know I've read multiple updates from Anti-Adler's that say essentially the same thing, we are stuck with him.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I am glad Proposition B passed, but enforcing camping bans could prove challenging. I hope the Austin Police Department can enforce this, but the city, the DA, and a lack of resources will likely hinder them.
Tobias Funke
AG
At one point do Austin residents begin flooding the 911 switchboard with calls reporting campers and requesting APD action? Or, way less ideally, taking things into their own hands?

I feel like there isn't going to be a lot of patience if there is no tangible change quickly.
Aust Ag
AG
wadd96 said:

Comrade Cesar.
Well, that was sort of my point. What makes anyone think that things would be "better"?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.