Austin
Sponsored by

Question about prop b

11,443 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aust Ag
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rhonda the Rash said:

A - yes
Seems fair and benificial to firefighters
B - yes
Stated above
C - yes
Had nothing to do with funding. Only accountability.
D - yes
Would get more people to vote which is always good
E - yes
Would save me a trip to vote for runoffs...
F - no
I don't want any mayor of a city I live in to have more power
G - yes
I will almost always support more representation
H - no
Waste of money and not the way to solve the problem they are trying to solve

Prop C: I am voting no because I currently do not trust the council, so I do not want to give them even more power
Prop D, OK I can see doing yes here
Prop E: I do not like voting on things without an implementation process.. prob being dumb on my paret
Prop G: I will read up on it more.
rcannaday
AG
A and B Yes, all other No.
DD88
AG
I voted YES!!!! on Prob B. and no on the others.

Prop A is worth considering, but both the Chronicle and Statesman endorsement swayed me against it.

Early voting locations:
https://www.saveaustinnowpac.com/vote-may-1st
Aust Ag
AG
More people voting is not "always good". People educated on the issues is.
SteveBott
AG
I have no dog in this fight but I drove 1st street today and along the lake their were so many tents I was shocked. And I know the problem. It was insane.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yep I am in HP as well and have seen plenty but if you talk to the neighbors without signs there agree. Where about are you in HP?
tailgatetimer10
AG
Local news this morning was def angling for the 'Vote No' side. Spent a fraction of the time talking about why 'yes' and interviewed multiple on the side of 'no'
evan_aggie
AG
Every city council member opposes it. They heard the sheep.
cityagboy
AG
From people I have talked to who live in Austin the "sheep" are not listening. This will be the most bipartisan vote Austin has seen in a long time.
Throwout
AG
I'm on 50th just east of Duval. How about you?
tailgatetimer10
AG
Guess they can't admit that they were wrong? The funny thing is had they not done anything at all, it would be better than the current situation.
barbacoa taco
AG
So I wasnt aware of this. This a-hole Greg Casar is the guy behind the open camping policies, under the guise of homelessness becoming "more visible."

Yeah, and I'm sure he has every intention of fixing the problem beyond simply making it more present in everyone's lives. I'm sure he stays up all night trying to think of new solutions.

https://www.saveaustinnowpac.com/greg-casar-is-destroying-austin
evan_aggie
AG
Kid went to UVA and graduated with a degree in politics (for real). He hasn't worked a day in his life not supported by tax payers or non-profit.
cityagboy
AG
I am not a fan of Casar. I live in his district and didn't vote for him....

But at his age he has done a lot. He had a lot of success with his non-profit work (which is real work) and is a city rep in a top 15 city in the country.
wadd96
AG
An an avowed Communist. Don't give him credit for anything. His ilk are trying to make Austin the next Portland and Seattle. Or even Berkley.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
43rd just East Of Guad
Martin Cash
AG
Rhonda the Rash said:

But at his age he has done a lot. He had a lot of success with his non-profit work (which is real work) and is a city rep in a top 15 city in the country.
Top 15 in what? Austin is a cesspool and Casar is the biggest turd in it.
cityagboy
AG
Martin Cash said:

Rhonda the Rash said:

Population

And why is it a cesspool? Austin is the fastest growing large city in the country with a thriving economy. Tech companies from all over the world are moving here. It simply isn't a cesspool. It has a homeless problem, that's it.

Now before you freak out, I live in Casar's district and didn't vote for him. I am also voting yes on prop b, but you are dramatizing the city cause you don't like it's politics.
Martin Cash
AG
Rhonda the Rash said:

Martin Cash said:

Rhonda the Rash said:

Population

And why is it a cesspool? Austin is the fastest growing large city in the country with a thriving economy. Tech companies from all over the world are moving here. It simply isn't a cesspool. It has a homeless problem, that's it.

Now before you freak out, I live in Casar's district and didn't vote for him. I am also voting yes on prop b, but you are dramatizing the city cause you don't like it's politics.
Why? You have a city council that makes the Politburo look conservative. They want to disband the police, terminate their police academy and turn criminal law enforcement over to social workers. You have a DA who has no intention of prosecuting crime seriously.

But, yeah, tech companies.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Honestly, Austin being the tech destination has little to do with the current administration and everything to do with bringing these companies in as 'remote sites' years ago. It's definitely the history of the city + some tax incentives + insanely low COL vs California. I still cannot believe how far downhill we have gone in the last ~4 years as far as keeping the city looking awesome.
cityagboy
AG
Martin Cash said:

Rhonda the Rash said:

Martin Cash said:

Rhonda the Rash said:

Population

Why? You have a city council that makes the Politburo look conservative. They want to disband the police, terminate their police academy and turn criminal law enforcement over to social workers. You have a DA who has no intention of prosecuting crime seriously.

But, yeah, tech companies.

They aren't disbanding the police.... they are re-allocating some money to resources that will do those jobs.

But hey keep pushing your Fox News narrative. Austin is a great city with a booming economy, booming population growth and despite Abbott's narrative is still safer than Dallas, Houston or San Antonio.

You are simply making blind judgements cause you can't see past your political views. It's ok if you don't want to live in Austin but you look foolish calling it a cesspool.

And yes Facebook, Oracle, Tesla, Indeed, Samsung, Apple, Google, Amazon, Canva, Silicon Labs, IBM, Dell, eBay, Texas Instruments and more. You can downplay this but it is creating an economic boom in Austin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/23/business/austin-real-estate-rebound.html

https://communityimpact.com/austin/central-austin/economy/2021/02/01/austin-economy-outperforming-state-national-averages-as-it-climbs-back-from-recession/

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/city-life/03-30-20-austin-led-the-nation-for-big-metro-population-growth-in-past-decade/

https://www.spyglassrealty.com/blog/austin-economic-forecast-2020.html
barbacoa taco
AG
I agree Austin is still a great city. It just has its issues. As do Dallas and Houston.

With the staggering numbers of CA/NY people moving here and inflating the COL, it's caused the homeless numbers to rise. And then terrible policies put in place by the city have incentivized homeless people to come to Austin and it has made a bad problem much much worse, on par with the big west coast cities.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Let's be honest, they did a 1 year cut during covid -- while the city was already operating in a tax income deficit, and asking other departments to cut budgets -- with a proposal of 'oh and we could cut funding here in the future'. It was a PR move at best.
cityagboy
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Let's be honest, they did a 1 year cut during covid -- while the city was already operating in a tax income deficit, and asking other departments to cut budgets -- with a proposal of 'oh and we could cut funding here in the future'. It was a PR move at best.

I don't disagree with that

My point was simply that they aren't disbanding the police.
cityagboy
AG
larry culpepper said:

I agree Austin is still a great city. It just has its issues. As do Dallas and Houston.

With the staggering numbers of CA/NY people moving here and inflating the COL, it's caused the homeless numbers to rise. And then terrible policies put in place by the city have incentivized homeless people to come to Austin and it has made a bad problem much much worse, on par with the big west coast cities.

I agree with much of what you said and hate the growing homeless problem in Austin. But it's not on par with LA, SF, etc.
evan_aggie
AG
Rhonda the Rash said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Crime isn't tied to 1 single factor, and so I think it would be ignorant to say "x y z" crime stats all go back to this decision.

However, I have no doubt that ONE of the factors that has played a role in increased crime (including murders, aggravated robbery, etc) is the broad messaging across the country. You tell people that the police are too powerful and a few bad apples will require massive universal reform. You send a message of empowerment to resist or do as you want because now they'll have to think twice about how to respond to crime.

cityagboy
AG
evan_aggie said:

Rhonda the Rash said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Crime isn't tied to 1 single factor, and so I think it would be ignorant to say "x y z" crime stats all go back to this decision.

However, I have no doubt that ONE of the factors that has played a role in increased crime (including murders, aggravated robbery, etc) is the broad messaging across the country. You tell people that the police are too powerful and a few bad apples will require massive universal reform. You send a message of empowerment to resist or do as you want because now they'll have to think twice about how to respond to crime.

I don't think many people are deciding to commit crimes like murder and aggravated robbery because they don't like the police. I'm sure it has happened a few times but not statistically significant.

evan_aggie
AG
If you told society tomorrow that we would relax punishments, enforcement, or prosecution: what do you think would happen?

cityagboy
AG
evan_aggie said:

If you told society tomorrow that we would relax punishments, enforcement, or prosecution: what do you think would happen?

That isn't what you said and isn't what is happening. You said people would commit more crimes because they are told police are too powerful or mean.
KT 90
AG
Quote:

They aren't disbanding the police.... they are re-allocating some money to resources that will do those jobs.

So tell us your description of cutting funding for the police, officers retiring and/or leaving for other jobs in droves, all with no police cadet class for 2020 and thus far into 2021 to replace the departed officers? It may be be disbanding the police but it certainly isn't supporting them; and they were understaffed to begin with.
cityagboy
AG
KT 90 said:

Quote:

So tell us your description of cutting funding for the police, officers retiring and/or leaving for other jobs in droves, all with no police cadet class for 2020 and thus far into 2021 to replace the departed officers? It may be be disbanding the police but it certainly isn't supporting them; and they were understaffed to begin with.

It sounds like you described what you are asking me to describe.

Don't buy into the political BS that APD has been catastrophically hurt. They are still responding to calls as needed. The police academy will be back.
KT 90
AG
Rhonda the Rash said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

Don't buy into the political BS that APD has been catastrophically hurt. They are still responding to calls as needed. The police academy will be back.

Sounds like somebody has bought into the BS, but it sure ain't me. I guess if you fine with increased crime and shootings as well as delayed police response times, then sure, an even more understaffed police department is fine. I am not ok with those things though.
cityagboy
AG
KT 90 said:

Rhonda the Rash said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

Sounds like somebody has bought into the BS, but it sure ain't me. I guess if you fine with increased crime and shootings as well as delayed police response times, then sure, an even more understaffed police department is fine. I am not ok with those things though.

The police department still has enough money. I don't want to hurt the police department. Austin is still safer than Dallas, Houston or San Antonio. Any small increase in crime is not from a police budget reduction this year.

They can be smarter with their money and the city is using the other money for resources that will fill in where police responsibilities are taken away.
KT 90
AG
small increase in crime? we are on pace to shatter records.

Anyhow, have a good night, I won't be wasting any more time with this.

cityagboy
AG
Goodnight

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.