Austin
Sponsored by

Drivers of Austin housing inventory?

31,061 Views | 268 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by WestTexasAg
500,000ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zillow put out an article today that said Austin's median home price increased 23.6% in 2020 alone. Is COVID really causing the lack of inventory for sale? Anyone in the local real estate market noticing sellers are hesitant despite the strong sellers market?
BTHOB-98
Buyers are currently paying $50,000 over the appraisal for property. To me that is bananas. Smells like a bubble. However, people keep moving here (a lot of people) and we have less than 30 days worth of inventory.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I've been searching for almost a year, and have been outbid on multiple occasions despite offering 20k or more above asking.

I don't think it's a bubble either. We're in a shortage right now with no end in sight.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

I've been searching for almost a year, and have been outbid on multiple occasions despite offering 20k or more above asking.

I don't think it's a bubble either. We're in a shortage right now with no end in sight.

20k over ? Better multiply that by 5, friends just made 100k over asking and sold to..... Californians with cash.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Saw someone post yesterday that the total available SF units in the Austin Metro has fallen below 1,000. It hasnt been that low in decades.
jmm
It is crazy right now. Home in Bee Cave was shown last weekend and 150 people came. 17 contracts were presented. Only ones considered were above asking price. And this is well over $1MM asking price.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I guess it depends how much the listings are. I'll put it this way. It's very common to go up to 10% above asking. And almost absolute minimum of 5% above
AggieOO
we've had multiple houses go up for sale on our street in the past 6 months. Each time, there is a line down the street of people waiting to see the house. It is insane.

My brother-in-law was telling me a friend of his stopped taking offers at 30 and ended up selling for 100K over asking.
500,000ags
AG
I have only been paying attention to Austin proper, is this consistent with the entire metro area?
BQ78
AG
I just got a text out of the blue from a realtor wanting to buy my house in RR. Knew my name address and phone number.
Aston 91
AG
Apple, Oracle and Tesla are part of the reason. Eventually we may get to the Yogi Berra-ism of "Nobody goes there because it's too crowded" but it doesn't look like we're there yet.
mazag08
AG
BQ78 said:

I just got a text out of the blue from a realtor wanting to buy my house in RR. Knew my name address and phone number.
They comb through the CAD and blast these out, usually to homes they suspect are in poor condition based on their potential market value.
MouthBQ98
AG
Population still growing. Jobs still coming in. Construction dragged to a crawl due to materials and supply problems.

Flipping homes right now could earn a boatload of cash if you can find materials to do refurbishment.
MouthBQ98
AG
I live 40 miles outside town and we have houses going up all around us after nothing new for 5 years.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
AggieOO said:

we've had multiple houses go up for sale on our street in the past 6 months. Each time, there is a line down the street of people waiting to see the house. It is insane.

My brother-in-law was telling me a friend of his stopped taking offers at 30 and ended up selling for 100K over asking.

Yep that's what happened with our friends.
60 showings and 43 offers in one day and took 100k over asking that night

This was a 375-400k listing
AggieOO
500,000ags said:

I have only been paying attention to Austin proper, is this consistent with the entire metro area?
i'm in RR. Brother in law is in hutto, as is his friend. See my comments above.
chet98
AG
Coworker of mine trying to relocate from the Bay Area to NW Austin (more like Cedar Park area, Brushy Creek, out that way) is having a hell of a time finding anything. I've already told him we're full but he won't listen! Anyway he's losing out on $450-$500k range homes after offering 15% over asking.

aggiederelict
I got a wealthy patient who lives on Lake Austin and said the high end market is nuts. His buddy has $6 million in a property and someone from California offered him $20 million without even looking at the property in person.
500,000ags
AG
So I guess my best option is to wait for the post-COVID world and see if the sun-belt migration at least slows. Seems like this market isn't just hot right now, but completely crazy with people wanting to escape the more severe lockdowns.

Despite some people getting hit hard due to COVID, I read that overall bank deposits and consumer debt levels point to a lot of people with an ability purchase homes right now. That's actually my biggest concern that this market could just be the reality for a good while.
Dumpster Fire
I mean if you don't mind a commute from 30 minutes south I'd sell my house for 100K over asking.

Damn!
jmm
It is impossible to get a house on Lake Austin these days. I have been looking at some off market sales this past 6 months and there have been several 10-25 million transactions.

I had someone knock on my door Sunday. Wanted to know if I would sell. Can't in this market. No where to go. Every single house in my area is under contract

Crazy times.
Hanrahan
AG
The uplands? I saw the line of people waiting for her to open the door. Insane. Makes me want to sell my house, but where would we go?
AgSoccer2007
AG
I live in Millwood and will be putting my house on the market in the next few weeks as I'm almost through with construction out off Ronald Reagan and 2243. Looking like I couldn't have timed my move any better. Locked in my build price before any costs shot up, and selling in this rage of a market.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I don't think it's a bubble because it's a supply issue. Austin has been an it place to live for sometime but the job market hasn't supported it but now so many high earning professional services table won't require you to be an office anymore, Austin is now on the table

In our area of HP we are seeing 5-700 a square foot
oldarmy76
The time it takes to bring lot supply on-line in austin/Travis county is making it difficult to help mitigate the rapidly rising prices. Routine projects taking up to 3 years to permit first phase. Travis county is taking over a year to approve traffic studies for basic single family developments. You have to have that approved before you submit a final plat. Have to have that approved before you can submit construction plans. And so on. It's like a 1849 gold rush with demand, and it's impossible for the development industry to keep up. If you can find land to buy.
evan_aggie
AG
We looked at a home listed for $925 in Lost Creek. Ended up selling for $1.22M and it wasn't even that nice. I think a 4/3.

This city is so focused on parks, bike lanes, police reform, rent assistance programs, and you have builder after builder saying the process from start to end has gone from 5-6 months to 10-12....and the city can't even keep up.
Complete Idiot
Better find some new water supply, we all saw what happened 2011 and in the couple years after that. Our area had a project to deepen the water intake in Lake Travis for our water supply, the prior intake level was at risk to go above water. I may be paranoid, but I think a historic (and we only have around 150 years of history here) drought could be really bad for this area given the growth.
jmm
Yes, The Uplands. Another house about a block west is apparently getting ready to sell. On Monday, I saw about 10 newish SUVs with about 10 moms in various stages of update looking over the house. It is officially silly around Barton Creek.
tamc93
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Better find some new water supply, we all saw what happened 2011 and in the couple years after that. Our area had a project to deepen the water intake in Lake Travis for our water supply, the prior intake level was at risk to go above water. I may be paranoid, but I think a historic (and we only have around 150 years of history here) drought could be really bad for this area given the growth.
The point is generally there and there needs to be a focus on building more reservoirs, etc. Things are not that bleak.

Several things changed since then....new reservoir downstream to allow capture for the farmers, change in crop seeds to promote less water use, acceptance of "brownish" lawns, completion of Buchanan Dam improvements, etc.

The city's water plan cannot sell enough water right now due to the conservation efforts.

Plenty of water for my lifetime and several others
tamc93
AG
I recall several years ago when this happened, I would get calls routinely and I would provide a "make me move number" to the realtors to make them go away. It is closer to being hit, but I would have no where to move that my wife would accept. I guess I need to double the number now.
Complete Idiot
tamc93 said:

Complete Idiot said:

The point is generally there and there needs to be a focus on building more reservoirs, etc. Things are not that bleak.

Several things changed since then....new reservoir downstream to allow capture for the farmers, change in crop seeds to promote less water use, acceptance of "brownish" lawns, completion of Buchanan Dam improvements, etc.

The city's water plan cannot sell enough water right now due to the conservation efforts.

Plenty of water for my lifetime and several others
I certainly hope so, I certainly hope they are planning for catastrophic droughts. The issues I was recalling are in this article: https://www.statesman.com/article/20130816/NEWS/308169696

They had to lower the intake to 590 feet due to the severity of the drought. Will that be sufficient? Could there be a worse drought than what was starting in 2011? It wouldn't seem likely in the near term, given the historical odds, but it will eventually happen.

You can see LCRA highland lake water consumers here: https://www.lcra.org/water/water-supply-planning/water-use-summary/ . Take note of the firm contracts and in the increase in municipal usages in just the four year period depicted. The area continues to explode and water usage will continue to sky rocket.

I think there is plenty of water with a well thought out reservoir and distribution system in place - most of what we have is many decades old, beyond the new Scott Arbuckle reservoir you noted. That was the first reservoir added to the LCRA system in 50 years.
tamc93
AG
Water rights are complex in Texas and the reservoir was a great start - unfortunately it took a drought for everyone to fully realize the need.

The environmentalists will also need to come to grips that there is a need, sadly, our western neighbors moving in will just add to this issue. They cause the problem and become the problem to the solution.
12law
AG
What about Buda or Kyle? Is it worthwhile to buy there? Or is Round Rock better? Assume I need to commute to downtown and don't mind a 45 minute drive.
evan_aggie
AG
12law said:

What about Buda or Kyle? Is it worthwhile to buy there? Or is Round Rock better? Assume I need to commute to downtown and don't mind a 45 minute drive.

They'll be every bit of 45 minutes when traffic returns. Maybe 45-60 to go 20-22 miles at rush hour.
12law
AG
evan_aggie said:

12law said:

Where would you recommend I buy at? Any particular community?
They'll be every bit of 45 minutes when traffic returns. Maybe 45-60 to go 20-22 miles at rush hour.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.