Bryan making decision behind closed Doors to close Park Hudson Disc Golf Course

24,731 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Tibbers
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey all.
You may not care about Disc Golf, but the brand new 18-hole Disc golf course that recently opened in Park Hudson is being planned by City of Bryan to be removed early next week.

\It may not make a bit of a difference (I have no idea if a change.org petition ever got anything reversed but it will at least show there is a population out there that does not approve of the councils actions).
link below for CHange.org
https://chng.it/NtTfcznSD6


[This thread will remain as long you do not post any more unsubstantiated rumors or use insulting phrases or terms towards a person or group of people. -Staff]
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If it's behind closed doors, how do you know?
Tibbers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is that legal for them to do? Discussions need to be made on this. Who funded its completion?
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

If it's behind closed doors, how do you know?
just gonna say sources that know and don't agree
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why am I never surprised when I hear COB stuff like this….

Evidently the needs of the one outweighs the needs of the many.
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
91_Aggie said:

Hey all.
You may not care about Disc Golf, but the brand new 18-hole Disc golf course that recently opened in Park Hudson is being planned by City of Bryan to be removed early next week.

This is a surprise to the people who actually did the design and a lot of grunt work to clear trees, briar, etc.



instead of removing it maybe they can just put porta cans all along the route so the disk golfers will quit urinating in the bushes within sound range of children. I also frequent Park Hudson trails often with my young daughter and have had to on more than a handful of occasions position my bike between her and the weak bladder player to keep her from seeing a grown man peeing in public in front of a child. So there's that.
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EliteElectric said:



instead of removing it maybe they can just put porta cans all along the route so the disk golfers will quit urinating in the bushes within sound range of children. I also frequent Park Hudson trails often with my young daughter and have had to on more than a handful of occasions position my bike between her and the weak bladder player to keep her from seeing a grown man peeing in public in front of a child. So there's that.


There definitely are no bathrooms out there.
Just one question though as a handful is 5, so has this really happened 6 or more times to you out there?
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Id also be asking the question of how much money did this waste.
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah weekends are the worst, we try to ride in the evening weekdays but that's hard in winter
Robin Sparkles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Genuine question: Instead of having people sign a petition that the City of Bryan doesn't have to look at, why not encourage people to contact their city council members or city staff?
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CS78 said:

Id also be asking the question of how much money did this waste.

I heard the city spent at least $50,000 but I can't verify that
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Robin Sparkles said:

Genuine question: Instead of having people sign a petition that the City of Bryan doesn't have to look at, why not encourage people to contact their city council members or city staff?


Oh there is a campaign going on with contacting city representatives.

Several of us have already received canned responses from deputy city manager saying "too bad"

The petition is more for a.show of support.
From what heard is likely less than a handful of people who complained, but some have prominent histories in the city of Bryan government. So hopefully we can at least show "why would listen to grumpy old men complaining about people enjoying the park.above this huge number of people who.want to keep it"...

This really seems to be about someone with a house near the course who is upset that the park they bought a house near is becoming more popular and it is not "his" park anymore.
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EliteElectric said:

Yeah weekends are the worst, we try to ride in the evening weekdays but that's hard in winter


Well sorry that happens... we as a group try to be respectful of all the other patrons, but always gonna have some that are outliers.
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
Its_Lu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That sucks, the course is very popular and there is always someone playing when I pass by. Way to waste money COB.
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
91_Aggie said:

EliteElectric said:

Yeah weekends are the worst, we try to ride in the evening weekdays but that's hard in winter


Well sorry that happens... we as a group try to be respectful of all the other patrons, but always gonna have some that are outliers.
And to be clear I am in no way blaming you, your group or any group for that matter, just pointing out what I see as a user of the park and nearby resident.
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the urination in public thing is such a problem out there -- sounds like a revenue opportunity for the city to write citations against.

How much would it cost to put a small men's/women's room and drink refill station at the 9th tee box? Seems that ideas should be kicked around the improve the park as opposed to take away from it.
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wareagle044 said:

If the urination in public thing is such a problem out there -- sounds like a revenue opportunity for the city to write citations against.

How much would it cost to put a small men's/women's room and drink refill station at the 9th tee box? Seems that ideas should be kicked around the improve the park as opposed to take away from it.
there are restrooms in Tiffany park I believe... but it's the only one and the course is HUGE... it's a fantastic course, but you'll walk over 3 miles doing the entire course and be out there for at least 90 minutes (or longer if you aren't very good, like me).

People will be on the course in sections very far away from the sidewalks, so there are plenty of opportunities to not be anywhere near non-disc-players if you just have to go.
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[Please do not cut and paste entire articles. -Staff]
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm shocked.
Loaded
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What has city staff said will go there instead of the disk golf course?
befitter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This was on KBTX yesterday but they didn't say WHY it was going to be shut down.
cajunken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to the Eagle, a neighboring HOA (which has zero control over the park) complained about the course. I just started playing disc golf last month, so Park Hudson is way too difficult for me to play at this point. It is great exercise, though, and I think it could become very popular, just as pickleball became popular over these last several years.
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
befitter said:

This was on KBTX yesterday but they didn't say WHY it was going to be shut down.
the 6pm version was much shorter.
The 10pm version had more detail.

Here's a link to the article from The Eagle
https://theeagle.com/news/local/government-politics/city-of-bryan-plans-to-remove-disc-golf-from-park-hudson/article_bcddade2-c795-11ee-8262-93fbfd9a0f54.html#tracking-source=home-top-story


Here's snippet from the article where the city has a different story than the designers
Quote:

A city spokesperson also commented that staff talked with the designer on multiple occasions about finding solutions for several of the complaints that the city has received.

The designers and others involved with the course have offered several solutions to the complaints but the city has never responded to them. the solutions offered completely solve the complaints made, but it appears the complainers do not want a compromise and have threatened legal action.




-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Loaded said:

What has city staff said will go there instead of the disk golf course?
I imagine they would let the sections that were cleared just grow over again
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I don't play disc golf, but this is stupid.

I'm in favor of maintaining anything like this that gets people outside.

The only valid reason that I could see for shutting it down is if players aren't respecting the houses that line the course.
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And yes, we were hoping that KBTX would reach out to the city to get more information from them about the specific complaints. It's city employees involved with the decision SEEM to not want to be forthcoming with the exact complaints and exactly who is making them.

They even claimed they couldn't talk about an alleged injury due to HIPAA laws. I'm sure Trouble could explain why that is a BS claim by the city. If a citizen tells a member of city stafff/council "I was injured at your park and here is how I was injured", the HIPAA laws do not apply in any way, shape or form for them to discuss voluntarily given medical information since they are not doctors, caregivers, etc treating that person.

Whenever anyone not treating a person says "I can't discuss due to HIPAA laws" your BS meter should be going off.
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One more thing.
There was a public 6 hole in disc golf already in Tiffany Park that had been there for years.
When Park Hudson course was expanded, those 6 holes were reconfigured into 4 holes and positioned to be even safer than previously.

So Tiffany park section of this course is not even the issue.



-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
src94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a WASTE of taxpayer money! These courses get so many more people out and away from screen time. They encourage activity instead of sedentary couch time. And this is the best course I've played. People come from all over to play it.
befitter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
91_Aggie said:

befitter said:

This was on KBTX yesterday but they didn't say WHY it was going to be shut down.
the 6pm version was much shorter.
The 10pm version had more detail.

Here's a link to the article from The Eagle
https://theeagle.com/news/local/government-politics/city-of-bryan-plans-to-remove-disc-golf-from-park-hudson/article_bcddade2-c795-11ee-8262-93fbfd9a0f54.html#tracking-source=home-top-story


Here's snippet from the article where the city has a different story than the designers
Quote:

A city spokesperson also commented that staff talked with the designer on multiple occasions about finding solutions for several of the complaints that the city has received.

The designers and others involved with the course have offered several solutions to the complaints but the city has never responded to them. the solutions offered completely solve the complaints made, but it appears the complainers do not want a compromise and have threatened legal action.





Thanks for the link. Hope y'all get this resolved without losing your course!! Sheesh!
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I walk through there daily. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes nature to re-claim the trails that were cleared for this. The course borders houses near Tiffany Park and the power line right of way. It's also near the houses on the east side of Tiffany park, but those houses already had really tall privacy fences.



trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just saw this but yes, your take is correct. HIPAA deals with improper release of medical information by your care team. It has nothing to do with information you willingly pass on to someone outside of that.
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another crazy incident from yesterday.
A member of the Texas A&M disc golf team threw a disc. As he walked up to it for his next throw this woman with a notebook came running up to him and asked for his name


He was dumbfounded and asked why.

She said I am adding you to the lawsuit since this is a private park.

He just threw his next throw and.walked on

So this is a good example of the complainers that are trying to get the course removed
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
In Tiffany Park or the area adjacent to Hudson Trail?
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was in Park Hudson area... not Tiffany Park.
The homeowners out there apparently believe it is really just for them and are mad that the general public can use the park
-------------------------------------------------------
"91_Aggie is right again." -YankeeAg00
"91a: You are so classy." -abl
"and i find myself agreeing with 91 yet again..." -Gramercy Riffs
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Are there any signs out there stating that it's private property?

I'm not a lawsuit person, but that might be harassment.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.