Bryan making decision behind closed Doors to close Park Hudson Disc Golf Course

25,690 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Tibbers
RABK3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All I have to say is prove it. Talk is cheap and they have shown their willingness to tell bold lies. The thought of a private HOA paying for maintenance of city of Bryan parks is interesting.
Hornbeck
AG
[This is not F16. -Staff]
Passwordgone
The city manager apologize or accept responsibility? Don't hold your breath…
maroon barchetta
[Thread derail removed. -Staff]
woodometer
AG
The city has given in and just put out this statement.

"After working with the local disc golf club, City of Bryan staff opened the extension of the Park Hudson Disc Golf Course in late 2023. Before opening the extended area, the City failed to gain public input from residents and homeowner associations in the immediate area. Once opened, issues were expressed to the City about discs being thrown across the walking trail, discs going onto private property, golfers trespassing onto private property, and other concerns. To exacerbate issues, a golfer filed an injury claim against the City. Effective immediately, the City is removing all disc baskets and tee pads from new fairways within the Park Hudson Disc Golf Course allowing the course to return to a more natural state."
woodometer
AG
I guess all of the endangered animals are safe now
double b
AG
woodometer said:

The city has given in and just put out this statement.

"After working with the local disc golf club, City of Bryan staff opened the extension of the Park Hudson Disc Golf Course in late 2023. Before opening the extended area, the City failed to gain public input from residents and homeowner associations in the immediate area. Once opened, issues were expressed to the City about discs being thrown across the walking trail, discs going onto private property, golfers trespassing onto private property, and other concerns. To exacerbate issues, a golfer filed an injury claim against the City. Effective immediately, the City is removing all disc baskets and tee pads from new fairways within the Park Hudson Disc Golf Course allowing the course to return to a more natural state."
This whole situation demonstrates the incompetence of the city officials.

On a lighter note, I guess Bob Yancy can move forward with the COCS project.
woodometer
AG
and $50,000 of taxpayer money plus how much it cost to then remove everything
wareagle044
Wow.
91_Aggie
AG
[We have made it clear that we are not going to allow disrespectful terms to be used on this forum and you have ignored that warning more than once and you have also been told that you are out of shorts bans. -Staff]
91_Aggie
AG
I'm not in charge of local disc club just a member, but we will welcome working with the COCS to hopefully bring in a comparable Championship level disc golf course.

Onward and forward.

techno-ag
AG
It would be fun to set up some five gallon buckets at all the old holes and organize some games.
tu ag
AG
I have no stake in this at all, just an observer and one that doesn't live in either Bryan or CS city limits.

Just reading this tale, it sounds like some good ol' boy decided he wanted a private park and he got one.
Really sad. I hope that the park is so full of people having fun it annoys him until he moves to his own 2,000 acre park he owns.
91_Aggie
AG
There's an article with a little more:
"A city statement Monday afternoon says the total closure follows a golfer filing an injury claim against the city."

Someone fell down on a tee pad and hurt himself while throwing a disk.
Sounds like there is free money to be had for everyone who ever gets hurt in a Bryan City Park.

Playing basketball on one of their basketball courts,
playing tennis on one of their tennis courts courts,
walking on one of their pathways in a park,
Playing in a game of softball, kickball, soccer, baseball on one of their fields..
slipping and falling in a splash pad or at one of their pools
your kids playing on a playground and getting hurt.

Looks like if everyone uses Bryan's logic here, you can get paid and get parks closed down.

Dumbest logic ever.

91_Aggie
AG
techno-ag said:

It would be fun to set up some five gallon buckets at all the old holes and organize some games.
Don't think i haven't though of that.

lots of people in the club have portable baskets.

but we'll soon see a new rule at the park "no throwing discs or Frisbees"

chickencoupe16
AG
91_Aggie said:

techno-ag said:

I've never played disc golf and I suck at throwing a Frisbee but I'd show up just to stick it to the man.
Hornbeck
AG
Same. To heck with the man…
Captn_Ag05
AG
The City of College Station's Facebook post today. Total coincidence I am sure…

Tailgate88
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

91_Aggie said:

techno-ag said:

I've never played disc golf and I suck at throwing a Frisbee but I'd show up just to stick it to the man.

When is this totally spontaneous and completely unplanned random day when people want to throw the frisbee? Hypothetically.
maroon barchetta
And people think the cities can just co-exist as "one community" with these kind of shots and the "home of Aggieland" signage contests.
BiochemAg97
AG
maroon barchetta said:

And people think the cities can just co-exist as "one community" with these kind of shots and the "home of Aggieland" signage contests.

Well, they could if they stopped taking these kinds of shots and accepted that both cities could use Aggieland since the university the university said so.
turfman80
AG
This entire episode has been an embarrassment for the city of Bryan.
Hornbeck
AG
turfman80 said:

This entire episode has been an embarrassment for the city of Bryan.

City Government Embarrassing themselves. Not just for College Station anymore, just more expensive.
wareagle044
CS definitely won this battle. Their tweet was epic.
befitter
Will Bryan be refunding tax payers for this complete waste of resources?
RABK3
AG
Agreed, CS for the win. The Idea that these two cities should be besties is ridiculous. They should work together when it is mutually beneficial. Anything past that is a non starter.
chickencoupe16
AG
Tailgate88 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

91_Aggie said:

techno-ag said:

When is this totally spontaneous and completely unplanned random day when people want to throw the frisbee? Hypothetically.
Hypothetically, I don't have portable baskets so if someone who does steps up, they'll have to let us know. Otherwise, I've got a few buckets in the garage and an old Frisbee of the dog's.
RABK3
AG
[That post was deleted because other posters started making accusations and assumptions about the post and you should not have reposted what you knew had been deleted. -Staff]

TChaney
Hmm does anyone know any local LARPers?

That park sure does look like a nice place to have people swinging foam swords and throwing ping pong balls at each other yelling FIREBALL!! FIREBALL!!

BCSWguru
sad day for bryan parks. this would not have happened under the last several parks directors.
Mathguy64
AG
Something tells me these decisions and this mess are being made way above the pay grade of the parks director.
BCSWguru
Because it would have never made it to that level. It would have been rectified way before that.
Bucketrunner
[We have made it clear that we are not going to allow name calling on this forum. -Staff]
trouble
AG
[That is not true and we are done with your continuous conspiracy theory posts and derails on threads when we have to edit posts. -Staff]
wareagle044
I hope they take this opportunity to make College Station the home of the largest annual disc golf tournament in the country.

The Aggieland Disc Golf Class

Bryan failed it's citizens here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.