Brazos County Commisioner races [Staff Warning 5/25/2024]

55,458 Views | 335 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Hittag1492
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Karl just said on KBTX that you have to show up to vote and debate regarding his stance on the rate increase avoided by the last session. He clearly just admitted on live TV that he would've shown up and let the tax rates increase. I just don't agree as you use all levers available regardless if people agree or not. Aldrich 100%.
On a recent KBTX segment he reiterated his stance "we should have reserves."

IOW, IMO, no tax cuts. Maybe raises, to ensure we have "adequate reserves."
etj77845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I first ran into Mooney during the Wellborn Annexation fiasco. Was not impress with him then and am not now. I can only hope the folks that were Wellborn voters at the time remember as well.

Never thought I'd see Mooney on a ballot where I was eligible to a cast a NO vote...

The thought of him and Berry on Court is repugnant.
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fred Brown, in his KBTX interview, was pretty plain on where he stands on taxation. They interview his opponent in a day or two.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oklaunion said:

Fred Brown, in his KBTX interview, was pretty plain on where he stands on taxation. They interview his opponent in a day or two.


Meet the Candidate: Fred Brown - Brazos County Commissioner, Pct. 3

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/01/31/meet-candidate-fred-brown-brazos-county-commissioner-pct-3/
Reload84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a sham! We're all being deceived by the candidates (state and local) saying they've lowered our Property Tax Rate. That's not the same as lowering taxes or holding the line on the actual amount we pay. Check out this article about how the legislature and local taxing authorities are pulling a fast one on taxpayers. Beware of local tax and spend candidates trying to pull the wool over your eyes with word games on property taxes. DON'T BE DUPED! https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2024/01/texas_legislature_deceiving_voters_again.html
legalbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Reserves" translates to give us more money, and even if there is no need, we want your money. I have seen HOA's operate like that. Basically, just in case. No consideration for people that are trying to make ends meet.

Sadly, I don't have excess money to keep giving, so Aldrich appears to get my vote.
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KBTX interviewed Nettles today at 6pm. First time I have heard him speak. Unimpressive. Pumped up his military experience and public service (TABC). Basically scoffed at the $85 savings he claimed Aldrich and Ford saved each taxpayer by forcing the no new revenue issue. Said he was probably somewhere between Aldrich and Mooney.
George Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
" "Reserves" translates to give us more money, and even if there is no need, we want your money. I have seen HOA's operate like that. Basically, just in case. No consideration for people that are trying to make ends meet."

Its not an either/or situation. Reserve funds are absolutely necessary and are good governance. Excess reserve funds are basically pointless and are bad governance.
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nettles is completely unimpressive. What I would expect from a JAG and a state appointee- just check his record as TABC leader. Agree about reserve account- should be there but the county should have one smaller than mine. I'd rather invest myself and pay them if needed than trust a bunch of elected officials to make investments. Sorry - y'all may be smart- but I'm betting against it ….
Just tell me over the last 50 yr what's your low miss, high miss and median miss on revenue when we have this discussion….
And I will accept as a % of budget, not absolute $. I understand the world is more expensive….

Meet the Candidate: Bentley Nettles- Brazos County Commissioner, Pct. 1 https://www.kbtx.com/2024/02/01/meet-candidate-bentley-nettles-brazos-county-commissioner-pct-1/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
davido
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Bentley is way more liberal and big government than he would want anyone to know as a candidate. Just check his record as TABC leader.
What are you referring to with TABC?

I have multiple friends with TABC licensed businesses who have unanimously said that the licensing process and customer service improved greatly under Bentley's watch. Several of them are local businesses. He's talked about having taken TABC out of the paper shuffling dark ages and moving them to an online system that drastically sped up the licensing process. That may not mean much to the average citizen, but that's better serving the specific constituency of the TABC. A position by the way that he was approached to take on during a time that TABC had experienced a lot of internal and public issues. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't sound accurate. I'd like to hear your specifics instead of generic accusations. What actions on the "record as TABC leader" are you referring to?


Quote:

Then know his actions outside his official responsibilities confirm…
Again, what are you referring to?
davido
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
George Costanza said:

" "Reserves" translates to give us more money, and even if there is no need, we want your money. I have seen HOA's operate like that.
HOAs don't borrow money and depend on credit ratings for the cost of that money. Besides the obvious, that's the other important part of reserves. Pretty important distinction.

Note: wrong OP quoted
davido
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupe said:

It's going to get fixed, but it could have all been done at once.

Aldrich and Berry were both on the court at that time.

Agree. Expensive exercise.
TChaney
How long do you want to ignore this user?
davido said:

EBrazosAg said:

Bentley is way more liberal and big government than he would want anyone to know as a candidate. Just check his record as TABC leader.
What are you referring to with TABC?

I have multiple friends with TABC licensed businesses who have unanimously said that the licensing process and customer service improved greatly under Bentley's watch. Several of them are local businesses. He's talked about having taken TABC out of the paper shuffling dark ages and moving them to an online system that drastically sped up the licensing process. That may not mean much to the average citizen, but that's better serving the specific constituency of the TABC. A position by the way that he was approached to take on during a time that TABC had experienced a lot of internal and public issues. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't sound accurate. I'd like to hear your specifics instead of generic accusations. What actions on the "record as TABC leader" are you referring to?


Quote:

Then know his actions outside his official responsibilities confirm…
Again, what are you referring to?
I can't say what the other poster is referring to but here is one example.

Nettles was not part of the TABC as far as I know at the time of the incident, but he was executive director when the agent was no billed by a local grand jury. Agent Jergins was either incompetent or flat out committed perjury.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3024583
Quote:


STATEMENT BY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR BENTLEY NETTLES:

"As a law enforcement agency, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission sets high standards of professional conduct for its peace officers. Any allegations of wrongdoing by one of our agents is taken extremely seriously. That is why TABC began an internal review of Agent Jergins' actions during the undercover operation, as well as his behavior at trial. Our review found no wrongdoing on the part of Agent Jergins, and I'm pleased that the grand jury declined to issue an indictment following a careful review of the evidence. We agree that this case has revealed some flaws in how underage compliance operations are conducted. As public servants, we have a responsibility to identify our shortcomings and to do better. As soon as TABC leadership was made aware of this case, we began a formal review of the underage compliance operation that took place in September 2016 and looked across the board for areas where improvement is needed. Since then, we've instituted changes to the way underage compliance operations are conducted in order to ensure accurate information is recorded by participating agents immediately after each inspection. We'll continue to look for other ways to improve in the coming weeks. TABC views this as a learning opportunity. Texans have a right to expect the very best from their law enforcement agents, and the lessons learned from this case will go toward improving our agents and our processes for years to come."


Don't you love it when people investigate themselves and find they did nothing wrong.

If not for the bar's surveillance footage Frick (the bartender) would have likely been railroaded and sent to jail and/or paid a fine.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/TABC-changing-investigation-procedures-after-agent-accused-of-perjury-in-Brazos-County-511209791.html

oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nettles mentioned in the interview a couple of times his 'public service'. Is the title of
Executive Director of TABC a paid position? If so, does that qualify as public service? Isn't it just a state employee?
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oklaunion said:

Nettles mentioned in the interview a couple of times his 'public service'. Is the title of
Executive Director of TABC a paid position? If so, does that qualify as public service? Isn't it just a state employee?



Paid elected officials are in "public service." They are considered public servants. They serve the public.
woodometer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nancy Berry said on KBTX tonight that while she has been in office that they have cut the tax rate 20%. That doesn't seem possible or is she taking credit for the no new revenue rate from last year.
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She also claimed that lowering the tax rate last year by 5% saved the taxpayers money, after the valuations went up 20%+. That is still a very large increase. She was pretty proud of the local organizations she does and has belonged to. Fred needs to win this seat.
woodiewood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
taxpreparer said:

I urge you to support Steve Aldrich for Precint 1, and Fred Brown for Precinct 3. These are the only two contested races this year. Steve is the incumbent and has proven he will stand against unnecessary tax increases. Fred's opponent is the incumbent and has never met a tax increase she would not support.
I am all for government operatng as fiscally lean as possible. Public officials should consider expenditures as if they were spending their own money.
woodiewood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UmustBKidding said:

I may not be the person you want to weigh in on this. When I bought my land on what was Greens Prarie Trail it was an unpaved cul-de-sac and not being a through street was part of the reason for purchase.
After COCS ruined my quiet neighborhood, I personally suggested to Aldrich that the county not repair/replace the washed out culvert at the edge of the sweetwater subdivision since it reduced the trough traffic noise on the now 70' five lane speedway in front of my house significantly. He indicated that was not going to happen. Over the years College Station annexed land that became Castlegate but did not annex the road, even though the majority of the residents entered via the county maintained Greens Prairie Road. The county ended up having to rebuild it to survive the additional traffic CG added. Fast forward 20 years and COCS annexed the Greens Prairie Reserve land in their continual pursuit of additional rooftops and the road came with it. They could have annexed the road area to the west but they did not. The reality is the only traffic that is in the county is the original sweetwater and woodlake traffic. The rest is just College Station through traffic. And the existing road is sufficient for non College Station residents areas use.
The county offer that I heard last was that the county would provide $4M towards design and implementation contingent that College Station would fund the rest, annex it into the city upon completion and would there be responsible for maintenance, improvements and liabilities from that point. I believe COCS said OK but after the budget had been drafted and adopted and told them it would have to be funded in a future budget.
I personally think it is a generous offer and if everyone on here that is upset that its not a complete super speedway from Wellborn to Arrington should press COCS to annex it and get to work. The county residents are likely not upset its only two lanes. I personally would like some of that traffic calming that COCS provided to residents of southgate neighborhood.




Anything southward is or is going to be a cluster in the future.... until you get to the Navasota ISD boundary. We are growing way too fast and the intrastructure improvements cannot keep up with the growth and the city and county leaders are still continuing to promote more and more growth.

We are just where Austin was in the early 1970s.
woodiewood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bryanisbest said:

oklaunion said:

Nettles mentioned in the interview a couple of times his 'public service'. Is the title of
Executive Director of TABC a paid position? If so, does that qualify as public service? Isn't it just a state employee?



Paid elected officials are in "public service." They are considered public servants. They serve the public.
To me public service just means that you are in a governmental or volunteer position that serves the public regardless of whether they are paid or paid/elected. Most elected officials are also paid to some degree. The forest services, Ag. Extension, County agents, DPS, state rep, etc. are public servants whether paid or not.
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
even though there are 2 open slots the entire county can vote? correct, my friend thinks only people in those precincts can vote
woodiewood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
legalbird said:

"Reserves" translates to give us more money, and even if there is no need, we want your money. I have seen HOA's operate like that. Basically, just in case. No consideration for people that are trying to make ends meet.

Sadly, I don't have excess money to keep giving, so Aldrich appears to get my vote.
Researves to me are funds set aside for covering the cost of non-budgeted extraordinary events that might occur. e can easily see how much reserves we might keep in the county and city.

The maximum the country might keep is what the county spent extra during the Harvey hurricane days. I doubt we will never have a more costly event than that.
Mr.Short-termMemory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
woodiewood said:

legalbird said:

"Reserves" translates to give us more money, and even if there is no need, we want your money. I have seen HOA's operate like that. Basically, just in case. No consideration for people that are trying to make ends meet.

Sadly, I don't have excess money to keep giving, so Aldrich appears to get my vote.
Researves to me are funds set aside for covering the cost of non-budgeted extraordinary events that might occur. e can easily see how much reserves we might keep in the county and city.

The maximum the country might keep is what the county spent extra during the Harvey hurricane days. I doubt we will never have a more costly event than that.



I think reserves can also be for planned capital projects. Delicate balance between emergency funds and planning for the future without appearing like the county is hoarding residents money unnecessarily.
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
happyinBCS said:

even though there are 2 open slots the entire county can vote? correct, my friend thinks only people in those precincts can vote
Your friend is correct. If you live in #2, you can't vote for #3 commissioner.
Passwordgone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Folks can only vote for their precinct's commissioner. However, their actions affect us all. Perfect example is the "no new revenue rate" vs "give us more of your money that we do not need". Aldrich and Ford stood for the whole county, all of us. Peters, Berry and Cauley did not.

The over 20% reduction in tax rate that Berry is currently quoting was mostly achieved BECAUSE of the no new revenue rate, which she repeatedly and loudly opposed.

So whether you live in precincts one or three, this year's vote in those precincts affects us all. Talk with your friends that do live there. Get signs out in yards. Support Brown and Aldrich in other ways because they are the candidates that will look out for us all, not just their group or pet projects.
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
woodiewood said:

Bryanisbest said:

oklaunion said:

Nettles mentioned in the interview a couple of times his 'public service'. Is the title of
Executive Director of TABC a paid position? If so, does that qualify as public service? Isn't it just a state employee?



Paid elected officials are in "public service." They are considered public servants. They serve the public.
To me public service just means that you are in a governmental or volunteer position that serves the public regardless of whether they are paid or paid/elected. Most elected officials are also paid to some degree. The forest services, Ag. Extension, County agents, DPS, state rep, etc. are public servants whether paid or not.
I see your point. It is just when someone is repeatedly pointing out that they have dedicated themselves to public service, I take it as volunteering.
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oklaunion said:

woodiewood said:

Bryanisbest said:

oklaunion said:

Nettles mentioned in the interview a couple of times his 'public service'. Is the title of
Executive Director of TABC a paid position? If so, does that qualify as public service? Isn't it just a state employee?



Paid elected officials are in "public service." They are considered public servants. They serve the public.
To me public service just means that you are in a governmental or volunteer position that serves the public regardless of whether they are paid or paid/elected. Most elected officials are also paid to some degree. The forest services, Ag. Extension, County agents, DPS, state rep, etc. are public servants whether paid or not.
I see your point. It is just when someone is repeatedly pointing out that they have dedicated themselves to public service, I take it as volunteering.



Over emphasis is a whole other thing. You can over emphasize helping the poor. But fact remains, paid government officials are public servants. Some of the better ones could make far more money in the private sector. They sacrifice to serve. Some are there because they can't cut it in the private sector.
Reload84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree with the original poster that Steve Aldrich should be re-elected to Pct. #1 and Fred Brown should be elected to Pct. #3.

KBTX has provided an excellent public service by interviewing all the candidates for these races. I encourage everyone to watch the interviews (links provided below) to become informed about the differences between these candidates and their positions on tax-relief. Aldrich and Brown are the only two who provide a true tangible record of votes---and action--- to provide tax relief to families and businesses.

Last night in her interview Nancy Berry exhibited the art of political double-speak of saying she's reduced the tax rate during her term in office. In fact, she claims that she's voted to reduce the tax rate by 20%. While that may be technically true, it's at best disingenuous because people are paying more because appraisals are going up. I sure haven't had my taxes go down by that amount and am not even sure they've gone down at all. She then masterly shifted to blame the legislature for the ever-increasing tax appraisals. All I'm concerned about is how much I have to pay.

The reality is the amount we pay in taxes in Brazos County has gone up and these pols play word games to confuse the issue. We need Commissioners who will advocate for true tax relief and not representatives who just offer political gamesmanship as they feed the tax and spend machine.

Please take some time to watch the interviews and learn more about the differences between these candidates (in order of appearance this week):

https://www.kbtx.com/video/2024/01/30/meet-candidate-karl-mooney/
https://www.kbtx.com/video/2024/01/31/meet-candidate-fred-brown/
https://www.kbtx.com/video/2024/02/01/meet-candidate-bentley-nettles/
https://www.kbtx.com/video/2024/02/02/meet-candidate-steve-aldrich/
https://www.kbtx.com/video/2024/02/03/meet-candidate-nancy-berry/


Another distinction that's important to me as a small businessperson is that Aldrich and Brown are the only two who have experience operating a business. They are in touch with how unnecessary taxes impact businesses especially in a tough economy.

Prediction: Watch the big money, and local tax-and-spend coalition try to wrap their candidates in the flag. They will highlight "endorsements" from the politically connected and business elites and avoid being pined down on what they would commit to do to actually reduce the taxes we pay. They represent the tax and spend crowd not the average folk trying to make ends meet. Vote smart!



Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nancy Berry is not a Republican and never has been. Liberal in sheep's clothing.
George Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Researves to me are funds set aside for covering the cost of non-budgeted extraordinary events that might occur. e can easily see how much reserves we might keep in the county and city."

That's one purpose, but there are others … including cash flow since property tax payments generally come in twice a year, credit ratings for bonds, etc, etc. Generally a government entity should have at least 90-120 days in uncommitted reserve funds.
woodometer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
While listening to Nancy Berry list her very long list of offices she has held and boards that she has been on, the first thing that came to mind was, wow she has been in politics too long. Thank you for your service to the community, now it time for someone else. She has been in it so long that she has mastered to the ability of political double talk. Reminds me alot of another Nancy in DC.
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She's claiming she cut property taxes 20%.

I don't know about yall, but my bill went up, considerably.

ETA:
Maybe if you're elderly, you actually got a tax break. This seems like a theme for Nancy, getting other folks to pay the bill….
masteraggieaka2%ER
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
true
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Nancy Berry is not a Republican and never has been. Liberal in sheep's clothing.


RINO
deh40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hornbeck said:

She's claiming she cut property taxes 20%.

I don't know about yall, but my bill went up, considerably.

ETA:
Maybe if you're elderly, you actually got a tax break. This seems like a theme for Nancy, getting other folks to pay the bill….
Typical politician claiming they cut taxes, when in reality they may have cut the tax rate. I looked back to when she started on Commissioners Court and my County tax rate has gone down (not 20% like she claims), but my actual County taxes ($ out of my pocket) have gone up.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.