Brazos County Commisioner races [Staff Warning 5/25/2024]

55,615 Views | 335 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Hittag1492
deh40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
etj77845 said:

I firmly believe Nettles to be overqualified for the office he seeks. Would have likes to see him go head to head with Peters. If Nettles does win, I expect him to do so in the next election cycle.
No way he runs against the guy responsible for him running this time.
Tailgate88
AG
Hittag1492 said:

Tailgate88 said:

Hittag1492 said:

PanAg83 said:

Facts are stubborn things and the facts point to 7 of the last 9 budgets Aldrich has voted for tax increases. It's difficult for folks to deal with because it just doesn't fit the narrative. Ask him why he voted that way, ask him why he's proposing new taxes as we speak? A road tax, a drainage tax, and ask yourselves why you keep letting him get away with it. He's stood up for taxpayers once or twice and has operated against them for the better part of two decades.

The amazimg part of all the Aldrich hate is that these people actually believe Nettles will vote to cut taxes-ever. Aldrich at 7of 9 might be a record tax cutter for a local politician, especially counting him helping shut down another vote by not showing up. Has Nettles even said he would be a tax cut champion? They all typically do, but I did not notice him making it a big part of his campaign. His website says nothing about his agenda that I can see. He is endorsed by the same people that endorse Peters and Berry. He is what people just voted out except he is basically hiding his actual agenda and running on the good Ag, local boy "insider" - exactly what is no longer needed. I wish we had more qualified people as well, but if one is looking for a modern approach, change and lower taxes- how can you even think Nettles represents that at all, lol. Good luck with that…

Like I said-they all say it somewhere. He does not have it anywhere I can see on his website I could see-odd. Every candidate running has those exact lines somewhere on their literature-Berry and Peters included for years even Aldrich who you say has raised taxes as well. How did that work out? All I know is everyone he is associated with is closely associated with the 2 worst offenders we have had and still have (Berry /Peters) in ages so I see no way he will be anything but the same as he has embraced those folks hard. His past history does not dictate he will lower taxes either. Just nothing there to give anyone hope he will be anything more than another good ol'Ag who will actually keep the status quo and hold this area back like all the rest for the benefit of a very few. You should vote for him as you choose. Maybe you liked Berry, I don't know. If so- it would make sense. And another person with zero vision of what this area can be. Aldrich may not either, but he will at times at least stand up to et morons like Peters/Berry who have become nothing but arrogant. I don't see Bentley doing that when he has embraced that same group.

You can message him on his Facebook page or call 979-339-0047. It may go to voicemail but he does check messages and return calls. Instead of putting words in his mouth why don't you reach out to him and ask him these questions yourself, and then post here with the results.
Tailgate88
AG
Just received this text message. I don't even know how I got in this list but here ya go.

Quote:

Brazos Values is proud to make our endorsements for the GOP Primary Runoff Election. These candidates have shown they are the only viable options to deliver on our conservative principles. Securing our border, lowering property taxes, fighting the woke agenda, and defending family values. Their opponents did not meet the criteria for an endorsement. Early Voting will last until the 24th. You can vote from 7am-7pm. You can print off a sample ballot and view polling locations here: https://votego.org/jlrko.nEKuv5ka8pTO. STOP to end.

Hornbeck
Not sure how effective the Brazos County Commissioners are in securing the border….
George Costanza
I guess its maybe possible the Wharton/Bius winner could maybe possibly do something about border security? Falls into the same category as one of them claiming they would stop "China" from buying land in Texas?
CEAg78
AG
If Peters wants Nettles in office, it's because Aldrich has been the main dissenting voice to recurring tax hikes.

Not my precinct but I think it's a no-brainer to support Aldrich.
Txmoe
AG
I've been a mostly silent lurker in this thread since the beginning. I'm always up for a spirited debate and am perfectly fine with others expressing opinions with which I disagree. What I DON'T think is appropriate, in a thread where people share their own opinions, is people posting campaign fliers or other outside political releases endorsing candidates. Can these posts be flagged?
oldag76
AG
Tailgate88 said:

oldag76 said:

"New leadership? You mean a candidate handpicked and financially backed by the Peters team to be a rubber stamp for whatever the Judge wants. That doesn't sound "new" to me."

THIS. Supported (and funded) by Berry/Peters/et al
What evidence do you have that Nettles was 1) "hand-picked" or 2) "financially backed by the Peters team" Frankly that is pretty insulting to imply that a man of his integrity and background just wants to be a lackey for Judge Peters.

Why don't you message him on Facebook and make those accusations to him personally and post his response?
Just catching up to this post/response. The evidence I have is the original campaign announcement from Nettles which was at a fund raiser along with Berry and attended by Peters. I was sent an invitation. I dont need to message him, it was a public appearance and speaks for itself. Today I was told that In latest fundraising report, Berry sent Nettles $3000. Don't be naive.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks for the condescension, but objection, facts not in evidence and hearsay.

No worries, pretty sure neither of us are changing our minds and that's ok. Best wishes to you.
toolshed
AG
Pretty sure no one in this thread is changing their minds!
oldag76
AG
Hopefully you can zoom this to make it easier to read. A picture truly is worth 1000 words. Historical tax rates for 10 yrs plus proposed. The circle refers to the result of the Ford/Aldrich holdout. Otherwise the rate flat line would have continued. It cannot be more clear that we need new leadership in the County Commissioner court. It's also a likely reason the Judge's wife is calling folks asking them to vote for Nettles. It is clearly time for change and hopefully we can get one step closer. For the record, I did donate to Brown, have not donated to Aldrich. It was Berry's lack of truthfulness that led me to donate to Brown. Neither commissioner is in my district.
TAMU1990
AG
Voting Aldrich
deh40
AG
oldag76 said:

Hopefully you can zoom this to make it easier to read. A picture truly is worth 1000 words. Historical tax rates for 10 yrs plus proposed. The circle refers to the result of the Ford/Aldrich holdout. Otherwise the rate flat line would have continued. It cannot be more clear that we need new leadership in the County Commissioner court. It's also a likely reason the Judge's wife is calling folks asking them to vote for Nettles. It is clearly time for change and hopefully we can get one step closer. For the record, I did donate to Brown, have not donated to Aldrich. It was Berry's lack of truthfulness that led me to donate to Brown. Neither commissioner is in my district.
The problem with the rate line remaining flat is it was allowing the County to collect more than was needed to fund the approved budget. The year Aldrich and Ford held out still resulted in a $20 million surplus. A few years back the County had around $50 million in reserves and apparently everyone including the rating agencies and bond people thought that was adequate. The County now has around $150 million in reserves. This is an extra $100 million taken from taxpayers that was not needed. I would think most taxpayers would rather have that money in their bank account.
Old Army63
Aldrich voting history on city council and commissioners court

increased the tax rate from previous year
2015, 2018, 2019

voted for a rate that because evaluations made us pay more!
2014, 2020, 2021, 2022.
Thats 7 out of 9 folks!

Plus he's "exploring" new ways to tax
Special Road Tax
Drainage District (which has unlimited taxing and indebtedness powers).

Wake Up!

Voted already for Nettles!

curry97
AG
+3 votes here for Aldrich
CS78
More info on Brazos Values.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3461683
Flatlander
Old Army63 said:

2015, 2018, 2019
How does this square with the chart that was posted above showing a flat rate between 2014 and 2019?

I checked the county website myself, and it indeed shows the tax rate was unchanged between 2014 and 2019.
EriktheRed
AG
don't be deceived, and do your own research.

a while ago when I first met Nettles at a community event in South CS, he was introduced and supported by COB Mayor Gutierrez. That showed me a lot.

Voted for Aldrich
officerfred
Not a single specific example of how Nettles will reduce property taxes. That should tell us what we need to know. He was asked and did not answer with ANY specifics.

WATCH IT!

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/22/brazos-county-commissioner-candidates-debate-issues-live-kbtx/

The only reason we are talking about property taxes is because Aldrich and Ford were willing to push the issue with their actions. You may disagree with their tactics, but this campaign from Nettles is dishonest. He knows that Aldrich pushed backed hard on taxes.

Steve Aldrich has been willing to take a hard and unpopular stance at great cost to him personally. This is a rare thing in politics.
spike427
AG
If I go early vote, will the political mailings stop? I've had 4!! ads from one candidate in the last week.

Here's a friendly tip for anyone running for office: talk about your good points all you want, but using (imo) unflattering photos and negative points about your opponents for half the space is a turn-off.
woodometer
AG
On KBTX last night Nettles came off alot like Nancy did when she was on. Hopefully his result is also the same as Nancy's.
Old Army63
uhh Aldrich was on College Station City Council 2014-2016. which is why the vote information shows he voted twice to raise our property taxes while on City Council
Old Army63
Woodometer were you watching the same interview.

Nettles gives examples about working with staff and other commissioners to review the budget.

Then Aldrich gives the pinocchio answer about I'm not wanting to implement other taxes just "explore"
Why do we need more taxes if we have a surplus?

Wake up TXAGS!
oldag76
AG
Flatlander said:

Old Army63 said:

2015, 2018, 2019
How does this square with the chart that was posted above showing a flat rate between 2014 and 2019?

I checked the county website myself, and it indeed shows the tax rate was unchanged between 2014 and 2019.
Flat rate applied to increase in property assessed, new homes, apartments, Academy store, development on University Dr, etc.
When you have one vote against 4, a wise man keeps his powder dry unless things get totally out of hand. Along came Ford and then the quorum leverage came in to play. As Popeye would say, " I've had all me can takes, me can takes no more"
Burn-It
AG
Seems the majority here prefer Ben Bius and Steve Aldrich over their opponents (Wharton & Nettles). Headed to early vote today.
AKA 13-0
GSS
Tell us where you see Bius support, on TexAgs...
Hopefully he is a 7-time (or will it be 8?) loser.
aggietoolman
AG
Aldrich yes, no way in hell on Bius
spike427
AG
I didn't make it to early voting today.

And had a new ad in my mailbox. Up to 5...
Tailgate88
AG
spike427 said:

I didn't make it to early voting today.

And had a new ad in my mailbox. Up to 5...

One? I have gotten 17 in the past week including multiple on the same day from the same candidate.
maroon barchetta
I got 7 political mailers today.

This one is great. The candidate thinks we are of such low IQ as a voting population that we believe his claim that he can single-handedly eliminate property taxes.

Ok, fella. Good luck with all that.

spike427
AG
Stop killing trees, politicians!!

That's such a waste!
MsDoubleD81
AG
Bius has sent me mailers for the past 2 years with his ugly face and I'm not even in his district.
Burn-It
AG
I don't know much about either Bius or Wharton since moving to the area a year ago. But I prefer Bius' answers to the profile questions in the iVoter Guide more than Wharton's.

IVoter Guide
AKA 13-0
EBrazosAg
AG
Moderator - derail to the HD race. This is a county commissioner thread.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
woodometer
AG
Old Army63 said:

Woodometer were you watching the same interview.

Nettles gives examples about working with staff and other commissioners to review the budget.

Then Aldrich gives the pinocchio answer about I'm not wanting to implement other taxes just "explore"
Why do we need more taxes if we have a surplus?

Wake up TXAGS!
Old Army, All working with staff and other commissioners does is continue the long history of tax and spend that our County Judge has been doing for too many years. The money coming in from appraisals keeps going up and they keep proposing tax rates that remain the same and then try to tell us that they didnt raise our taxes. Aldrich actually demonstrated that he will do what it takes to keep the tax raising under control. Your friend had an opportunity the other night to tell us what he would do and he said he would get along. We have had too much getting along with our money. Thats why I voted for Aldrich.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.