Officer involved shooting off Spring Loop (February 8, 2023)

53,236 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by agaberto
Brian Alg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't find records of the Hopkins family's lawsuit on the court's website anymore. I called a few days ago and the court indicated the hearing is listed as "cancelled" which they said could mean any number of things.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
Pantera
AG
Could this be caused by a settlement?
lethalninja
Leslie Siddons pled guilty last month and got five years in prison (eligible for parole after half). Scott Siddons has a plea hearing scheduled for February 12th.
Stupe
S
Actual prison? Not probation?
lethalninja
It was the minimum prison sentence (she was facing five to 99 years), but it's actual prison time.
Another Doug
AG
They weren't going to go easy on them when the case was important enough for the police to kill a kid over it.
Stupe
S
I'm surprised that she got the minimum. There must of have been a lot of evidence and a lot more time if they didn't want to go to trial.
I remember one of the news stories calling it a stash house for the main dealer.

Didn't they find guns and LSD at one of the houses? Or in storage?
Hornbeck
You can find guns in just about anyone's house here….
lethalninja
Three of the houses they searched had at least one gun (including Scott and Leslie Siddons's house). Abraham Escobar's house also had LSD. Leslie had three charges, Scott has four and Escobar has six.
Stupe
S
Funny how you left the "and LSD" out of your response. And the part about it belonging to a dealer.

Drugs AND guns are just the same as every other house with a firearm owner. Nothing bad ever happens with that combination.

But that wouldn't have helped your trolling. Would it?
lethalninja
Leslie's been in jail since February 8th (same as Scott), so she'll be eligible for parole in August 2025.
Hornbeck
I have a pretty strong distrust of government and police to begin with. Several very high profile cases of police killing citizens either through their direct action, or inaction, has elevated this. I'd be willing to bet you could find a couple guns and a couple ounces of weed in at least half the college student housing in town.

I'm not real worried about a few doses of LSD. People have been doing it since the 60s. Illegal? Yes, but there are lots worse things out there like heroin or fentanyl that do worry me. You can sleep better at night knowing these folks are going to spend at least 2.5 years in the iron bar inn, I sleep worse at night knowing this kid got gunned down by CSPD when I believe he thought he was the victim of a home invasion.

Problem is, we won't know because the city won't release the footage. So, here we are.
Marlin39m
Have any of our media outlets even interviewed the girlfriend? Neighbors? It seems like our local media don't really want to do much looking. I know that shocks some of you.
CS78
Marlin39m said:

Have any of our media outlets even interviewed the girlfriend? Neighbors? It seems like our local media don't really want to do much looking. I know that shocks some of you.
The media, both local and national, are nothing more than an extension of the government that we no longer trust.
maroon barchetta
Marlin39m said:

Local media know that if they ask the city too many prying questions, they will get the Art Briles treatment that he gave Larry Bowen after Bowen asked RGIII a question following Baylor's beat down by the Ags.
Stupe
S
I have a pretty strong distrust of people that use fallacy, misquote, or twist what others say in order to try and prove their point. Or people that use "it could be worse" as an argument to excuse the behavior of someone.

And I didn't say a word about the shooting at the other house.

Pro Sandy
AG
Looks pretty simple.

Cops executing a drug raid, cops annouce themselves, guy shoots at cops, cops return fire and kill the guy trying to kill them.

I see no issue from the cops. Shooting at cops is clearly not justified.

And don't do drugs, even LSD.
maroon barchetta
Pro Sandy said:

Looks pretty simple.

Cops executing a drug raid, cops annouce themselves, guy shoots at cops, cops return fire and kill the guy trying to kill them.

Let's see the video to make sure it happened that way.
Pro Sandy
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Pro Sandy said:

Looks pretty simple.

I trust the cops more than I trust drug users. I'm good.
maroon barchetta
Pro Sandy said:

maroon barchetta said:

Pro Sandy said:

Looks pretty simple.

I trust the cops more than I trust drug users. I'm good.

Then the video should prove why you trust them.
Brian Alg
You clearly are not aware what was in the affidavit for the warrant. CSPD had no legitimate reason to enter the home. Seriously, it is bad enough that the investigators responsible should be prepared to lose qualified immunity. And you clearly don't know how the search went down. It was supposed to abide by the knock and announce requirement. Only an extremely liberal understanding of the boundaries could qualify what CSPD did at 6am a reasonable execution of a warrant (which happened to be invalid).

The City is not saying "we have read the affidavit, we have seen the video, we are not concerned about any lawsuits." They aren't claiming to know they are in the clear. They are pretending to think that someone else did proper oversight. They know CSPD messed up big time.

As frustrating as the zero-transparency approach is, I think it is understandable to want to wait this one out as long as possible. When the video comes out, when the affidavit gets a serious review, anyone still paying attention is not going to be pleased with what they find out.

The question is, who in the City is going to be able to get away with claiming "we didn't know."
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
Hornbeck
Don't confuse the facts with a good political argument.

This is why people with critical thinking skills aren't allowed to be police officers. See the Robert Jordan case in Connecticut.

In other news, that report of the Uvalde incident sure renews my faith in police. /s

Those guys can't cover it up, but they sure tried to at first.
phillytex24
The family shouldn't settle for less than 100mil and the promise to fire every single person on that corrupt scene that day. They should get the ACLU involved and we need community organizers to bring this to light nationally. This invasive corruption doesn't need to be swept under the rug. The light and attention on it needs to be so bright that they fear the people and are accountable to them again!
Nom de Plume
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Looks pretty simple.

Cops executing a drug raid, cops announce themselves, guy shoots at cops, cops return fire and kill the guy trying to kill them.

It went more like:

Cops used an invalid warrant to enter,

Didn't REALLy announce,

Woke up a legal gun owner and non-drug user who was like, "WTF?!",

Who picked up his weapon and attempted to protect himself and partner,

And the cops killed him.
Stucco
Updated info on the hearing cancellation.

https://theeagle.com/news/local/crime-courts/hopkins-family-reaches-temporary-agreement-in-suit-for-police-shooting-death-of-son/article_b17980f2-9de2-11ee-a91c-3ffa49f723f2.html

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/12/19/college-station-reaches-agreement-share-information-with-family-police-shooting-lawsuit/
Goat Man
AG
The question I have is… how many in this thread are ok with a police officer (or many officers) entering your house in the wee hours of morning after banging on the door and then breaking it down? I don't care if they announce or not I think the process is a serious misuse of force.

That an innocent young man was killed enforces the idea this is a terrible way to do business.

I don't understand this type of process and never will.
maroon barchetta
Goat Man said:

The question I have is… how many in this thread are ok with a police officer (or many officers) entering your house in the wee hours of morning after banging on the door and then breaking it down? I don't care if they announce or not I think the process is a serious misuse of force.

That an innocent young man was killed enforces the idea this is a terrible way to do business.

I don't understand this type of process and never will.

Wasn't there a no-knock raid in Snook or Lyons or Somerville about ten years ago that ended up with an officer killed by the resident at the home, and the resident being found not guilty of homicide due to him being in self-defense mode?
Hornbeck
Somerville.

https://kwhi.com/2014/02/06/henry-magee-no-billied-in-deputys-death/

There are much easier ways to make an arrest, IMHO.
Stucco
This systemic denial to information outside a confidentiality agreement is contrary to the spirits of self-government and open records law.

https://www.propublica.org/article/how-police-undermined-promise-body-cameras

I hope this tragedy is the catalyst that brings change to BCS. The city still has a chance to be on the right side of this by forcing change upon CSPD.
AgProgrammer
AG
I still don't understand how they raided this townhome looking for a person that wasn't even there. We are not talking about an al-Qaeda complex with underground tunnels that they can slip in and out of. If CSPD was going to the extreme measure of busting down a door, you'd think they'd make absolutely sure the person was there. If they had been surveilling the house, they could have been sure he had entered the house and was there.

It was a failed operation and they botched it badly. I personally have no reason to expect police to come busting into my house, especially in the middle of the night. If someone busts in the door while I'm in a deep sleep, I can guarantee that I am not going to just believe that it's the police just because a stranger yells they're the police...that's even assuming I heard/processed that they announced police. You can't tell me that any future break-ins, homeowners are supposed to just "stand down" because the intruder yells police.
EliteElectric
yeah like I mentioned earlier in this thread, as a child we were home invaded and that crime started with the dopeheads yelling "police search warrant!!!" as they kicked in our door and robbed us at gunpoint. As a child I had a pistol in my face while a dope fiend stole my catcher's glove, but hey at least they "announced" they were the police.

Whether someone "announces" or not does not should have zero bearing on this.

***eta***
we aren't calling shotgun to get the front seat here, these are armed personnel entering a home in the wee hours, a man has a right to defend himself and his loved ones, unless they can PROVE he knew they were LEO's I think lobbing hot rocks at the (to him at least) unidentified intruders is completely justifiable.
Hornbeck
This flies in the face of all the "cops good, bad guy bad" logic here on TexAgs
MeKnowNot
Softer, kinder policing is clearly the preferred option in College Station:

Dear Current Resident,
We believe that there may be some illegal, or at least questionable, activity going on at this address.

Please call the police non-emergency line to at your earliest convenience to schedule an appointment to meet with one, or more, law enforcement officers. Appointments are generally available weekdays between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM.

To make the interaction more efficient for all parties, please bring all of your illegal narcotics and all other proof of your crimes with you to the meeting.

Thank you!
CSPD

AgProgrammer
AG
...and if we don't hear back from you, we're going to bust into your house? Nevermind that they literally found absolutely no illegal activity in this raid and none of the people in the house were actually in the warrant or were suspects. Our bad.
MeKnowNot
AgProgrammer said:

...and if we don't hear back from you, we're going to bust into your house? Nevermind that they literally found absolutely no illegal activity in this raid and none of the people in the house were actually in the warrant or were suspects. Our bad.

This edit should handle your concern and make CSTX a safer place for everyone. We got this!:

P.S. Please disregard this If this letter was received in error and/or you believe that you are not doing anything against the law.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.