Gibbons Creek???

21,090 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by ElephantRider
warreng
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know what the future plan is for Gibbons Creek. I looked online and posted on the outdoor board but cant find any info anywhere. I know it was purchased but was just trying to find out what the plans were for it moving forward
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Lots of rumors, nothing solid. Solar farm, housing, both. Moving the ramp to the powerplant side to ease traffic over the spillway, they'll never open again, they'll be open next year...I'm pretty sure you could make something up and be as close as anyone.
warreng
That is funny. I just assumed someone knew and I was just too dumb to find it. I thought you could find anything on the internet these days but I guess we have officially stumped even google on this one.
woodiewood1
coleasterling said:

Lots of rumors, nothing solid. Solar farm, housing, both. Moving the ramp to the powerplant side to ease traffic over the spillway, they'll never open again, they'll be open next year...I'm pretty sure you could make something up and be as close as anyone.
That solar farm that is nearby must be 500 acres.
AgProgrammer
AG
The 11,000 acres that was the old TMPA mine recently sold (as a single tract) for $75 million. Buyer not yet officially identified but it was being heavily marketed for a very large solar project since the existing transmission lines from Gibbons power plant are accessible from the property. Those tie-ins to the transmission lines are in the Houston region of the grid.

There's also a TON of water surface rights (920 acres) and also access to both Gibbons Creek and 1.9 miles of the Navasota River. They were selling full mineral rights, wells, and water rights.

Gibbons Creek Lake is NOT part of that sale. They are still tearing down the old plant. There were some "rumors" a few years ago of the actual lake becoming a surface water source for BTU. With it no longer being a cooling lake for the coal plant, that becomes a possibility. There's also the possibility that a smaller natural gas plant gets built in place of the old coal plant. It's probably safe to assume though that BTU is holding ownership of the existing sub-station and transmission lines for a reason (hence large solar project and/or new gas plant theories).

I'm anxious to hear what's going to happen with the 11,000 acres. That's a giant tract of prime land.
EBrazosAg
AG
Most are not aware of the Navasota access and pipeline. They have area that looks like a intake that I always assumed was for water to fill the lake if it got low since a certain level is critical for a cooling pond reservoir. At least that's what it looked like to me on satellite photos. I could be wrong but can't figure it out otherwise.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oklaunion
It's a shame those folks who had their land condemned by TMPA back in the 70s didn't get an opportunity to purchase those same acres back.
ElephantRider
AG
AgProgrammer said:

The 11,000 acres that was the old TMPA mine recently sold (as a single tract) for $75 million. Buyer not yet officially identified but it was being heavily marketed for a very large solar project since the existing transmission lines from Gibbons power plant are accessible from the property. Those tie-ins to the transmission lines are in the Houston region of the grid.

There's also a TON of water surface rights (920 acres) and also access to both Gibbons Creek and 1.9 miles of the Navasota River. They were selling full mineral rights, wells, and water rights.

Gibbons Creek Lake is NOT part of that sale. They are still tearing down the old plant. There were some "rumors" a few years ago of the actual lake becoming a surface water source for BTU. With it no longer being a cooling lake for the coal plant, that becomes a possibility. There's also the possibility that a smaller natural gas plant gets built in place of the old coal plant. It's probably safe to assume though that BTU is holding ownership of the existing sub-station and transmission lines for a reason (hence large solar project and/or new gas plant theories).

I'm anxious to hear what's going to happen with the 11,000 acres. That's a giant tract of prime land.
The lake/plant property has been sold, but to a different buyer than the mine properties. TMPA only kept the switchyard next to the plant (with easements on the transmission lines, I'm sure). Whether or not there's a plant there, that switchyard is still an important part of the grid. It will stay in operation regardless of what happens with the area around it.

Edit: it looks like the lake and plant properties just got sold again in late December.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
ElephantRider said:

Edit: it looks like the lake and plant properties just got sold again in late December.
Where'd you see that? I guess that's why their position on keeping it open changed. We were going to get another year pass at the end of October and put it off. Glad we didn't go ahead and buy one then.
ElephantRider
AG
Deeds filed on December 28th from Gibbons Creek Environmental Redevelopment Group to Gibbons Lake & Land. TMPA deeded the properties to GCERG in early 2021.

I also have some very low-level inside knowledge, but what's listed above is all public information.
BMo
So, is the lake still open on weekends for the $5 fee?
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Haven't been out there since my Oct. visit, but last I heard, no. Maybe I should take a Miata trip to 3090 and have a "see if Gibbons is open" detour.
armymom
No the lake is closed indefinitely. My fisherman husband is so disappointed. Really hope someone will reopen it for fishing. Not sure if there still is camping.
BMo
armymom said:

No the lake is closed indefinitely. My fisherman husband is so disappointed. Really hope someone will reopen it for fishing. Not sure if there still is camping.
Thanks. I'm sure it is likely closed to all public activities.
CinchAG97
armymom said:

Just think how good the fishing will be after it stays closed for a while, no fishing pressure and time for the fish to grow. Could be incredible.
BMo
If they open it to the public. We can hope.
First Down and Twelve
BMo said:

If they open it to the public. We can hope.
I'm not going to post someone else's business but if I understood correctly what the use is/will be I'm not really seeing it as having a public component that wouldn't be a hindrance for the operations of the property for the new owners.
kyledr04
AG
CinchAG97 said:

armymom said:

Just think how good the fishing will be after it stays closed for a while, no fishing pressure and time for the fish to grow. Could be incredible.

Yeah there's great genetics there. I caught 2 7lb bass out there. It will only get better with no pressure and stable water temp patterns. It was a mess after they started running the plant seasonally.
CinchAG97
I don't have any inside knowledge, but I could see some developer(s) deciding to turn it into a Camp Creek like development. The lake lots would be very sought after, I think.
FlyRod
Sad about the lake being closed. I caught an absolutely monstrous bass out if there. Had lots of fun with the "trash fish" (gar, freshwater drum) in the spillway.

Saw perhaps the biggest alligator gar I've ever seen in that lake…6 feet at least.
aggiegal99
We drive past it on FM 244 every day. There's a whole lot of work being done there…lots of earth being moved, it appears. I'm very curious what is going on!
ElephantRider
AG
aggiegal99 said:

We drive past it on FM 244 every day. There's a whole lot of work being done there…lots of earth being moved, it appears. I'm very curious what is going on!
Remediation, I'm assuming. They are probably still taking the plant down and getting everything cleaned up.
duffelpud
AG
Here's the seller...

https://fayranches.com/property/lakes-of-gibbons-creek-texas/

And here's public information on the purchasing entity...

Company Name:
GIBBONS LAKE AND LAND, LLC

Entity Type:
DOMESTIC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY (LLC)

File Number:

Filing State:
Texas (TX)

Filing Status:
In Existence

Filing Date:
August 31, 2021

Company Age:
5 Months

Registered Agent:
Christine Lagerlef
11801 Private Road 4340
Normangee, TX 77871

JAMES DIXON
Manager

SHAUN PRUETT
Manager
"What's this button do?"
duffelpud
AG
...and at the same address on the private road (also public info):

Texas Taxpayer Number
Mailing Address
11801 PRIVATE ROAD 4340 NORMANGEE, TX 77871-3677
[url=https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/RightToTransit.jsp][/url] Right to Transact Business in Texas
FRANCHISE TAX INVOLUNTARILY ENDED
Request tax clearance to reinstate entity
State of Formation
TX
Effective SOS Registration Date
10/25/1989
Texas SOS File Number
Registered Agent Name
ELIZABETH M LUNDQUIST
Registered Office Street Address
11801 PRIVATE RD 4340 NORMANGEE, TX 77871

And here's that address:

https://www.har.com/homedetail/11801-pr-4340-normangee-tx-77871/4752049
"What's this button do?"
ElephantRider
AG

Wrong seller, that's for the lignite fields. The plant/lake seller was Gibbons Creek Environmental Remediation Group. I doubt that was ever listed since there is still a lot of remediation work at the plant.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
FlyRod said:

Sad about the lake being closed. I caught an absolutely monstrous bass out if there. Had lots of fun with the "trash fish" (gar, freshwater drum) in the spillway.

Saw perhaps the biggest alligator gar I've ever seen in that lake…6 feet at least.
First time I've seen anyone mention a drum there. We caught one deep into the northeast side last year, had to look it up. It was a fun fish!
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Has anyone seen yet who purchased Gibbons this time?

According to this, they are intending to do residential development.

https://www.accesswire.com/683762/Charah-Solutions-Completes-Sale-of-80-of-Real-Property-Acreage-at-Former-TMPA-Gibbons-Creek-Steam-Electric-Station-and-Reservoir

EliteElectric
I sat through a presentation last summer on a "Camp Creek" type residential development planned at the lake.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
EliteElectric said:

I sat through a presentation last summer on a "Camp Creek" type residential development planned at the lake.
Any mention of larger lots? 10+ acres?
EliteElectric
coleasterling said:

EliteElectric said:

Any mention of larger lots? 10+ acres?
wasn't specific to size, just basic infrastructure
armymom
What is a "Camp Creek" residential style?
techno-ag
AG
armymom said:

Camp Creek is a rural community built around a lake. It's north of town. Take the OSR to B-5 country store and turn left.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
EliteElectric
armymom said:

Camp Creek is a small lake between Edge and New Baden with some lake houses on it
TransplantedRedRaider
Any news on this development?
dallasiteinsa02
TransplantedRedRaider said:

Any news on this development?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.