CS City Council Candidates

20,018 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCS-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Early Vote Schedule:

November 29th December 3rd, Monday Friday (Lune Viernes) 8:00am 5:00pm
December 4th, Saturday (Sbado) 8:00am 5:00pm
December 6th 7th, Monday - Tuesday (Lune Martes) 7:00am 7:00pm
December 8th - 10th, Wednesday Friday (Miercoles - Viernes) 8:00am 5:00pm

Early Voting locations:

College Station Utilities Meeting & Training Facility 1603 Graham Road, College Station, Texas
Memorial Student Center-Room L526 (MSC) Texas A&M University campus, College Station, Texas
MiMi
S
nvm. Didn't see 1.618's post before I posted.
happyinBCS
very quiet this morning, please vote
happyinBCS
a very strong mailer from Levine showed up today I guess we will see if Maloney sends anything
MsDoubleD81
AG
I plan on going Monday.
davido
AG
happyinBCS said:

Early voting has started let's make a change

This is the way. Make it happen good people of CS.
MiMi
S
I voted this morning. There were 4 very bored election workers and only 1 other voter in the building.

Please vote!!
davido
AG
Last day to early vote tomorrow.
TyHolden
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

I would vote for Mickey Mouse before I would vote for Maloney.
the mouse doesn't need your vote. he already owns everybody.
Bunk Moreland
Going to vote for Levine tomorrow morning
UmustBKidding
You have a few more hours to be part of the solution to the current city council. The incumbent position on issues like Eminent domain, personal property rights, and minority right have been well documented in the news. So if your position is:
Eminent domain is appropriate to seize your property for a future park
That proper Police and Fire protection is not more important city parks
Because a city that has a lower tax rate is mostly inhabited by minorities its not worth looking at what they did to keep their taxes low.
That your owe a local special interest group (CSAN) more than property owners to carry their thieving anti property owner rights ordinance forward.(ROO)
Then the incumbent Dennis Maloney is your man.
CSAN in their mailer say the opponent is unknown and untested. To me that is a plus. Mr Maloney has proven time and time again he does not represent the average resident of College Station.

At one point late last week I was told less than 300 had voted, you vote will count this election more than any other
Please vote, no matter your choice.

CS78
Please go vote!
textar4404
How late are the polls open and can you vote for council members if you live in the ETJ?
UmustBKidding
7pm, etj no they just impose their will on you but do not allow you to vote. How great is that!
happyinBCS
who won?
Rapier108
happyinBCS said:

who won?

I don't think enough people voted today to overcome the die hard group of early voters who keep people like Maloney and Crompton in power. Getting rid of them has to be done in the general election.

If in the end Levine wins, I will be glad to be wrong.
CS78
That was my thought exactly. The only way to defeat these people is to avoid a runoff.
billydean05
I voted today to try and cut into the deficit
happyinBCS
1332 to 943 pretty sad
justcallmeharry
S
happyinBCS said:

1332 to 943 pretty sad
The total turnout is even sadder. 2,275 total with another 31 votes to be counted.

ETA: "The 2,275 votes represented a four percent turnout of the 57,775 who are registered."
threecatcorner
4 percent is higher than I thought. Figured it was 1 or 2 percent.
threecatcorner
That sucks. I don't really understand ETJ or how it's a thing that's legal. Seems like if you're out of their area (can't vote for them), they shouldn't be able to make rules that cover your area.
hopeandrealchange
Our best and brightest.? Speaks volumes about our population.
Extremely disappointing.
BCSWguru
threecatcorner said:

That sucks. I don't really understand ETJ or how it's a thing that's legal. Seems like if you're out of their area (can't vote for them), they shouldn't be able to make rules that cover your area.

LOL. See wellborn.
lost my dog
threecatcorner said:

ETJs have been around since 1963, per Texas law (so it's legal)

You don't pay city real estate taxes in an ETJ, but you gain the benefits (more commercial activity, more employment opportunities, generally better ISD) of the city
Stupe
S
Welborn didn't need the city in order to have any of that.
textar4404
lost my dog said:

threecatcorner said:

You don't pay city real estate taxes in an ETJ, but you gain the benefits (more commercial activity, more employment opportunities, generally better ISD) of the city
Some College Station ETJ kids are zoned for Bryan.
Sarvab
I'm just over here observing the reactions of all the people who have been using the term "Baloney" the past few months, lol
lost my dog
Stupe said:

Annexation and ETJ are two separate things. I'm only talking about ETJ here

And if College Station hadn't grown as it did (or if College Station didn't exist), in my opinion Wellborn would now have the commercial and employment opportunities of Snook
Bunk Moreland
Damn shame Maloney is going stay on the council handing out favors
lost my dog
textar4404 said:

lost my dog said:

threecatcorner said:

Some College Station ETJ kids are zoned for Bryan.
Yes, it's complicated here, because the metro area is composed of two cities and two ISDs. Bryan has its own ETJ also
Stupe
S
lost my dog said:

Stupe said:

And if College Station hadn't grown as it did (or if College Station didn't exist), in my opinion Wellborn would now have the commercial and employment opportunities of Snook
That isn't even a valid argument.

If Houston hadn't grown as it did, Cypress wouldn't......
If Austin hadn't grown as it did, Round Rock wouldn't.....
If Dallas hadn't grown.....

Wash, rinse, repeat.

"And if" and "What if" statements can be added to any argument in order to attempt to give it credence. That doesn't make it valid.
lost my dog
Stupe said:

lost my dog said:

Stupe said:

That isn't even a valid argument.

If Houston hadn't grown as it did, Cypress wouldn't......
If Austin hadn't grown as it did, Round Rock wouldn't.....
If Dallas hadn't grown.....

Wash, rinse, repeat.

"And if" and "What if" statements can be added to any argument in order to attempt to give it credence. That doesn't make it valid.
How is that not a valid argument? Using counterfactuals to prove by contradiction is a standard method of proof.

You stated that Wellborn didn't need the city (I assume College Station) to have "any of that". You don't specify what "any of that" is, but based on my previous post I assumed you mean commercial and employment opportunities.

Tell me how Wellborn would have been what it was in 2000 without being next to College Station. I knew multiple people back then who worked in College Station (at the University or medical jobs), and lived in Wellborn. They would not have had jobs or even moved/stayed in Wellborn without the employment possibilities which existed in the city.

Perhaps you could explain how Wellborn could have "all that" without having a larger city next door?

Edited to add - I know some people are still upset about the Wellborn annexation. My point was about one reason why the Legislature created ETJ, not to re-litigate the Wellborn question
taxpreparer
AG
lost my dog said:

threecatcorner said:

ISD is not relevant. BISD covers some CS addresses, and eventually extreme South CS neighborhoods are going to be in Navasota ISD.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Flatlander
In the general election in November, 3137 people voted against Dennis Maloney (55%), forcing a runoff.

In the runoff election, 1332 people voted for Maloney (59%), giving him the win.

Turnout in both elections was abysmal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.