CS City Council Candidates

20,021 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCS-Ag
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vote NO on prop C!
histag10
AG
threecatcorner said:

I remember reading that Cunha was against the odd-year voting so it's not the whole council refusing to listen to voters' opinions on this matter, just most of them.

Cunha is by far the best person on the council right now (imo). According to Mousseau-Holland, the main reason she chose to not run against Cunha was because she actually votes for what her constituents want (ROO being one of the big ones).

College Station residents have a chance today to greatly change how the city is run. I encourage everyone to take a last look at candidate platforms, and make an informed vote.

I don't know if staff would let me post it, but Mousseau-Holland had a post on Facebook about why she was running and the things she wanted changed.
CS78
I'm afraid that her and Levine going up against Maloney is going to result in Maloney staying.

Which one is more likely to be able to beat him?
UmustBKidding
If no one gets 50% then there is a runoff and its down to who turns out to vote. The CSAN people will turn out to vote for their chosen Maloney. But they are what I consider a vocal minority. Their direction is out of sync which what I hear from people I ask, but they are loud and turn out. If even a small percentage of they people that say they think the direction the council is moving turned out they would become irrelevant. Cunha won in a runoff against a CSAN supported candidate.
One data point is Cunha was endorsed by the fire fighters, and they also endorsed Lavine.
CS78
Thanks. About to vote now.
MiMi
S
Just got back from voting at the CSU building. Pleased to see a long line!
threecatcorner
There are a lot of voting locations today. Some of them have no line at all. There were people voting, but not all at the same time if you go to a church. I'm glad people are voting but also glad that I avoided having to wait.
scd88
AG
Millican is empty. Go there if you're in the mood for a drive.
aggiepaintrain
AG
could not locate Christ United's place to vote no signs , line is 50 deep at utility building

the things I do to vote out Maloney
FJB
ShinerBlonde
AG
Just voted at the CSISD admin building on Welsh and there was no line. There were several people in there voting but they had plenty of machines available.
bushytailed
AG
I voted at the episcopal church on Rock Prairie this morning and was the only person there.
KidDoc
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

could not locate Christ United's place to vote no signs , line is 50 deep at utility building

the things I do to vote out Maloney
You did have several weeks of early voting with no lines!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UmustBKidding
There is no polling place at Christ United due to construction.
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/09/24/college-station-city-council-unanimously-amends-ordinance-upcoming-election/

The helpful alternative locations link (broken of course)
http://docarc.cstx.gov/DocArc/DocView.aspx?id=1605511&dbid=0&repo=DOCUMENT-SERVERR&cr=1
on the City web page. No organized voter disenfranchisement intended.

threecatcorner
Parkway Baptist's is on the left end of the building, and when you walk in the building, it's the door on the left. They have a sign that points towards the external door, but I don't think there's actually a sign pointing you where to go once you enter the building. There's glass so you can see the voting booths though.
hudmoon
AG
Just voted at st. Francis episcopal church on rock prairie. In and out in 5 minutes.
Bunk Moreland
45 minute wait at the CS Graham Rd building a few hours ago
AggiePhil
AG
No wait at the old Arts Center on Dartmouth at Colgate.
Brian Alg
A&M Church of Christ was a breeze. A good alternative to Christ United Methodist.

Lipscomb is rolling in his grave.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
fishngame06
AG
Wellborn Baptist Church was easy breezy earlier today. No lines at all.
MiMi
S
KBTX loves getting it's headlines from this board. Election Day sees big turnout at some polling locations

Quote:

Being an off-year election with no state or federal candidates on the ballot, voter turnout is expected to be lower, with only 3,292 people participating in early voting in Brazos County. But, there's been a steady stream of people at polling locations, like the College Station Meeting and Training Facility on Graham Road. The parking lot has been full and voters say they've waited as long as 10-20 minutes to even an hour.
10-20 minutes!!! How horrific
CS78
So when do we get results?
AggieAces06
AG
CS78 said:

So when do we get results?

KBTX has them as they come in.
aggietoolman
AG
Maloney with a big lead right now.
threecatcorner
How big? Hopefully not so big that he beats both challengers without a runoff. I thought you could pretty much count on a 3-way race going to a runoff.
Bunk Moreland
KBTX shows him at 52% but that's only with 4% in
justcallmeharry
S
Bunk Moreland said:

KBTX shows him at 52% but that's only with 4% in
51% with 24% of vote in...

https://www.kbtx.com/politics/election-results/
justcallmeharry
S
49% with 64% reporting... Could be headed for a run-off.
Rapier108
Generally the only way to defeat an incumbent in a local race when there is nothing else really on the ballot is for there to be 1 challenger who can hammer the incumbent 24/7. When you have 2 or more, the incumbent can sit back and watch them destroy one another and squeak out a win with just enough (majority/plurality depending on the rules for that election) to win another term.

Looks like Cunha is doing good.

Edit: Because clearly I can't read tonight.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Brian Alg
Against C is winning by a large margin I think. That's the one for odd year (low turnout) council/mayor elections
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
10thYrSr
Looks like Maloney (45%) and Levine (38%) with 23/24. Runoff looks very possible.
althormoon
It never makes sense to me that almost everyone I know complains about College Station's property taxes, and then we go and approve another ~80 million dollars in bonds. Looks like all of them will pass except the athletics one.
Rapier108
You're right, I misread it. That's what I get for multitasking too much.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
justcallmeharry
S
10thYrSr said:

Looks like Maloney (45%) and Levine (38%) with 23/24. Runoff looks very possible.
Doesn't the winner have to have 50% plus one vote? If neither of his opponents go for a run-off, what then? Just Maloney on the the run-off ballot?
MTTANK
AG
So looks like we will have two runoffs?
AggieBaseball06
AG
This is only tangentially related but Waller county demonstrated that every vote matters.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.