CS City Council Candidates

20,019 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCS-Ag
Cartographer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And the athletics one is likely the most needed. AMCHS hasn't had any upgrades to their main field house or stadium in quite a long time. Speakers are blown, facility is aged.
Brian Alg
justcallmeharry said:

10thYrSr said:

Looks like Maloney (45%) and Levine (38%) with 23/24. Runoff looks very possible.
Doesn't the winner have to have 50% plus one vote? If neither of his opponents go for a run-off, what then? Just Maloney on the the run-off ballot?

Unless I am misunderstanding, it would be the first and second place in the runoff; in this case that's Levine
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
MTTANK
AG
Is Not a Turtle said:

And the athletics one is likely the most needed. AMCHS hasn't had any upgrades to their main field house or stadium in quite a long time. Speakers are blown, facility is aged.
I don't disagree with your statement at all, but there is more to it than that. CSHS boosters raised money to upgrade their scoreboard, and the impartial school board we had at the time would not allow it. The stated reason was it was not fair for Consol to not get the same upgraded scoreboard. I'm sure you have heard the "We can't create a situation of the have's and the have not's" talking point. The school board floated an idea to spend tax payer dollars for Consol to get a similar upgrade and still use the donors money for CSHS. That got nowhere for obvious reasons. So in the end, Consol and CSHS stayed the same and CSID turned down a 6 figure donation for improvements.
Cartographer
Ah, I see. I didn't know that part of the back story.

Both decisions seem wrong. Ultimately this ends in the district having to come back to the voters in a few more years with a bond much larger to upgrade both facilities all while angling for that third HS.

Good times.
BCSWguru
Remember that time they had a chance to have one stadium for all of the high school teams? Good times.
Creekisrising
Not exactly true.

The backstory is true on the scoreboard. This bond had nothing to do with a scoreboard.
The main part was a new addition to the Tiger Stadium of a field house comparable to cshs.
There was a little bit in for something at both schools - don't remember exactly what. Sound maybe?

This was not getting a scoreboard for either.
threecatcorner
It specifically mentioned sound systems and it said both high schools. I remember being surprised because I don't think CSHS's is that old.
davido
AG
Wow.

Happy to see CS residents turning out and righting some wrongs. Hopeful for a good runoff result to put the clean out process fully in motion.

" We reached out to Maloney for comment but his family said he was unavailable." - KBTX
Creekisrising
Thought it was sound. From what I remember it was minimal. The big number was a field house. It did not mention scoreboards.
BrazosWifi
AggieBaseball06 said:

This is only tangentially related but Waller county demonstrated that every vote matters.

2... only 2 people cared enough to vote on a 290 MILLION bond issue?

Holy Smokes. That is completely insane.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Stupe
S
LSCSN said:

Remember that time they had a chance to have one stadium for all of the high school teams? Good times.
Thankfully they decided against that and built a multi-use facility on campus for CSHS.
Mathguy64
AG
BrazosWifi said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

This is only tangentially related but Waller county demonstrated that every vote matters.

Those are MUDs and likely the only eligible voters in the district. Happens all the time in MUDs.
Stupe
S
MTTANK said:

Is Not a Turtle said:

I don't disagree with your statement at all, but there is more to it than that. CSHS boosters raised money to upgrade their scoreboard, and the impartial school board we had at the time would not allow it. The stated reason was it was not fair for Consol to not get the same upgraded scoreboard. I'm sure you have heard the "We can't create a situation of the have's and the have not's" talking point. The school board floated an idea to spend tax payer dollars for Consol to get a similar upgrade and still use the donors money for CSHS. That got nowhere for obvious reasons. So in the end, Consol and CSHS stayed the same and CSID turned down a 6 figure donation for improvements.
There is more to it than that. There was also an offer by private individuals to help pay for the the Consol scoreboard. Two members of the school board said that they didn't want it to look like charity and the offer was quietly nixed.
The egos of a few ended up costing both of the school video scoreboards.

And the main person pushing that and the no grandfathering attendance for current students and siblings left for Auburn.
MTTANK
AG
Hendo said:

Thought it was sound. From what I remember it was minimal. The big number was a field house. It did not mention scoreboards.
Hendo, the bond elections did not mention scoreboards. I was not alluding to that being what they were for. At 5 million dollars let's hope it's way more than sound system upgrades. I was saying the tax payers voted against the stadium bond, partially because of the previous scoreboard garbage the school board served up to the community.
letterman72
AG
You state "there's more to it than that" and then proceed to talk about scoreboards. This proposition was not about scoreboards or video boards. But….since you wanted to bring that into the issue, I'll respond. This proposition was focused on the much needed upgrades to the A&M Consolidated Field House. The Purple people didn't get their way (video board) and so they chose to be petty at the expense of the Consol children and vote NO to this proposition. Because they say "if we can't upgrade, they shouldn't be able to either" Question - have you actually stepped foot in this field house? Because I promise you if you had, there would leave no doubt these upgrades were needed. CSHS needs to get over their arrogant ways. The only losers in this are the kids. And it's just sad. They deserve better.
threecatcorner
Why does it say the person who got 42 percent of the vote won on the school board instead of having a runoff between that guy and the person who got 36 percent? They don't have to get even 50 percent to win?
CS78
It was a good night.

I'm emailing Levine this morning to ask how I can personally assist him in the runoff. Seems like the best way to get involved.

https://davidforcollegestation.com/
Stupe
S
threecatcorner said:

Why does it say the person who got 42 percent of the vote won on the school board instead of having a runoff between that guy and the person who got 36 percent? They don't have to get even 50 percent to win?
The school board is different than the city charter.
MTTANK
AG
letterman72 said:

You state "there's more to it than that" and then proceed to talk about scoreboards. This proposition was not about scoreboards or video boards. But….since you wanted to bring that into the issue, I'll respond. This proposition was focused on the much needed upgrades to the A&M Consolidated Field House. The Purple people didn't get their way (video board) and so they chose to be petty at the expense of the Consol children and vote NO to this proposition. Because they say "if we can't upgrade, they shouldn't be able to either" Question - have you actually stepped foot in this field house? Because I promise you if you had, there would leave no doubt these upgrades were needed. CSHS needs to get over their arrogant ways. The only losers in this are the kids. And it's just sad. They deserve better.
Purple people? My family is zoned for Consol, and I donate to Consol. I'm not juvenile enough to be a maroon or purple person, I'm pro College Station and both schools. I agree the upgrades are needed and stated such in my earlier post. It is people in our community with your attitude that caused this mess. People voted against the stadium upgrades because our school board turned away six figures in donations over ego and maroon vs purple instead of what was best for College Station and its taxpayers.
KidDoc
AG
I cannot believe the people I voted for won, that is a first in a very long time for me (Libertarianism/Randian view). I did vote against the bonds but figured they would pass.

How about that turn out, roughly 7,000/121,000 deciding how the city is run. Thank goodness Prop C didn't pass just crazy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
S
Your entire post is a load of hot garbage.

Quote:

You state "there's more to it than that" and then proceed to talk about scoreboards. This proposition was not about scoreboards or video boards. But….since you wanted to bring that into the issue, I'll respond. This proposition was focused on the much needed upgrades to the A&M Consolidated Field House. The Purple people didn't get their way (video board) and so they chose to be petty at the expense of the Consol children and vote NO to this proposition.
Pettiness by the school board at the time is the ONLY reason that both schools don't have video scoreboards right now. At very little cost to the district. And those weren't CSHS parents that did it. As I said in another post, it was mostly a couple of people and want of them stuck his tail between his legs and left for Auburn.

Quote:

Because they say "if we can't upgrade, they shouldn't be able to either"
I haven't heard anyone say this. Not at athletic events. Not at church. Not at lunch functions.
I've actually heard the exact opposite and most people that I know have been trying to get people to vote in favor of upgrading the facilities at Consol.

Quote:

The only losers in this are the kids. And it's just sad. They deserve better.
That's exactly what most of were saying about the scoreboards but that didn't matter to the "we don't want it too look like we are taking charity" people. They decided that their egos were more important than what the students got.

Quote:

Because I promise you if you had, there would leave no doubt these upgrades were needed. CSHS needs to get over their arrogant ways.
More hot garbage.

I know that you'll hate this because it's a fact that goes against your rant, but the Cougar Club board members were encouraging people to vote FOR the improvements. The people on the booster boards for both schools want what is best for all of the athletes in the district. Contrary to what the petty "purple vs maroon" people say.

What a lot of you people that create this "purple vs maroon hate" crap fail to realize is that there isn't this massive hate for one school from the other. Work, church, 4H, FFA, Little League, Club Sports.....all of those things bring parents together that have students at both schools. We all have close friends that have students at every high school in entire Brazos Valley.
We all want the best for our kids and the kids of our friends....no matter what high school that they go to.

That proposition didn't fail because "purple" people as you like to call them voted against it. It failed because the "I ain't getting my taxes raised for athletics" people voted against it. I heard more "I'm not voting for that" from parents that didn't have kids in athletics at all and were mad that other programs weren't getting money.
From both schools.

I know that doesn't fit your little "Purple people are arrogant" rant, but that's the truth.

UmustBKidding
Happens by design, In many there would be zero residents and the developer moves in their selected few to some temporary housing so they can ensure the election outcome. Believe how the speedway mud was formed.
George Costanza
"The Purple people didn't get their way (video board) and so they chose to be petty at the expense of the Consol children and vote NO to this proposition."

Is there any evidence to back up this claim?
momlaw
AG
Votes are raw data that can be parsed and evaluated almost endlessly.
Results down to the election precinct should be publicly available.
Within margins of error election precinct results can be evaluated by location (zoned areas), favorable and unfavorable trends, etc.
It takes time and calibrated analytical approach.
It is amazing what an experienced political analyst can deduce, project, learn from voting results.
momlaw
BANA89
AG
KBTX's results showed the majority of school bonds in the area were rejected with 7 approved and 9 against. Meanwhile 3 of 4 in CSISD were approved, which by comparison isn't bad with $78M of $83M approved. Voter and overall bond fatigue might not have helped when it came to the time of the vote…
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
BrazosWifi said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

Can you imagine if each of those voters voted differently?

And can you imagine if it was a married couple and they find out they voted against the other?
Tailgate88
AG
letterman72 said:

Stupe covered it well, but this is nonsense. I have two kids who graduated Maroon and two that graduated Purple. I have never had any interactions or overheard anyone EVER expressing their opinion or desire to punish one school at the expense of the other. In fact just the opposite - without exception we support and cheer for both schools equally (unless and until we are actually competing head to head, and even then it's all in good spirit).
happyinBCS
Early voting has started let's make a change
MeKnowNot
happyinBCS said:

Early voting has started let's make a change
Bump. Went this morning and it was nothing but crickets.

My guess: Voter turn-out will be about 1%
happyinBCS
So, each vote is that much more important
threecatcorner
When's the actual voting date?
UmustBKidding
Dec 14
The Waller Muni election was a special situation. Only a couple people live in that area as it is being developed and the developer stuck a few folks out there specifically to vote. I think there is one trailer out in the area set up specifically to have a resident of the util district.
CS78
What locations are available to early vote on this one?
happyinBCS
CS utilities building on Grahm rd

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.