COVID VACCINE

178,620 Views | 1108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nosmo
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where is it available in B/CS for people 65+ with no underlying health conditions?
trouble
AG
I haven't seen anywhere open to the general public yet.

HEB is waiting on corporate to tell them that they can start on phase 1b
Goose83
AG
Don't count on it anytime soon:

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/12/31/local-hospitals-still-working-through-phase-1a-of-covid-19-vaccine-distribution/
AggieBarstool
https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=91ac7fb5e5fd47e7ada4acfe4a05920a
Bucketrunner
Brookshire Bros in rural East Texas counties are already vaccinating 1b. Brazos County is lagging
woodometer
AG
The hospitals here seem to be in control of the vaccines locally and they are taking their time to distribute them to their own people first and then first responders and nursing homes. S & W sent out a press release last week saying that they will let us know when 1b can get theirs. There doesn't seem to be anyone really in charge in Brazos County and no transparency and no one really asking questions. I have nothing to base this on but always follow the money. My gut tells me that the hospitals are waiting until someone tells them how they are going to get paid to vaccinate the public.
MiMi
S
How many COVID-19 vaccines has Brazos County received and why are we still in Phase 1A?

EBrazosAg
AG
They may be waiting to get paid. But plenty of others a have the vaccine and they are doing well getting it to non-hospital employee 1A and getting to 1B with their supply.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TAMU1990
AG
EBrazosAg said:

They may be waiting to get paid. But plenty of others a have the vaccine and they are doing well getting it to non-hospital employee 1A and getting to 1B with their supply.
Who then?
cavscout96
AG
Define doing "well"

Less than 15% of the 1A population has had their 1st dose according to public info.
new straw
Some in 1a are waiting to take it for various reasons. Positive test in the past 90 days being one of the main reasons. I did decide that it is in my best interest to take it, but not all feel the same way. Neither hospital is requiring it yet, so that could contribute to the low numbers. My organization is requesting (not requiring) that we receive the vaccine when we have two days off, on the off chance we have the soreness or lethargy sometimes associated with the vaccine. That schedule can get tricky. I received the vaccine last Wednesday, and other than lethargy, I have had no complications. (I had worked 5 nights, so lethargy is common)
Goose83
AG
MiMi said:

How many COVID-19 vaccines has Brazos County received and why are we still in Phase 1A?

Notice that in Week Four, 326,000 doses are to be shipped to Texas, with a whopping 1600 doses of those shipped to Brazos County. At that rate, it's going to take well over a year to vaccinate everyone.

Edit: To be fair, roughly a third of those doses (120,000) shipped to the state are being diverted to long-term healthcare facilities, but even then, only 1600 a week being allocated to a MSA with over 270,000 people is absurd.
JayHowdy!
Bucketrunner said:

Brookshire Bros in rural East Texas counties are already vaccinating 1b. Brazos County is lagging
Agreed. My parents, both in their late 70s, have already received their first dose at a Brookshire's owned Super 1 grocery store. They live in an East Texas county of only 30,000 people. Seems to be going very well out there.
cavscout96
AG
new straw said:

Some in 1a are waiting to take it for various reasons. Positive test in the past 90 days being one of the main reasons. I did decide that it is in my best interest to take it, but not all feel the same way. Neither hospital is requiring it yet, so that could contribute to the low numbers. My organization is requesting (not requiring) that we receive the vaccine when we have two days off, on the off chance we have the soreness or lethargy sometimes associated with the vaccine. That schedule can get tricky. I received the vaccine last Wednesday, and other than lethargy, I have had no complications. (I had worked 5 nights, so lethargy is common)
you'd think with all of the corona-doom going on locally and in the local and national news, folks would be queued up by the thousands to get inoculated.
laavispa
Anecdotal, my PCP had vaccine appointment at St Jo's yesterday. 1a running somewhat less than warp speed. In another example an HEB in another county had pharmacist vaccinated and remaining doses distributed to 'management'...

My SIL in another state is a 1b. They have their appointment for the 11th already. Granted they live in a senior facility and Walgreens will be in site to administer.

The state run vaccine board is not updating or atleast getting information from providers.

All in all a very confusing situation.... but 'warp speed' is hyperbole.
KidDoc
AG
The logistics problem is primarily:

1) They want everyone to wait around 15 minutes in case of allergic reaction (I think this is dumb).

2) The vaccine itself (Moderna version) it difficult to manage. You have to thaw it out and once thawed it only has a few hours where all the doses in a single vial must be used. I believe there are 10 doses per vial but I don't have it in my clinic. So if a clinic pops it open and doesn't have people scheduled then the rest of the vial is trash and nobody wants that to happen.

3) Vaccine hesitancy is a problem.

I am not personally involved in the logistics backside of the roll-out and it is going slower than it should. Having it happen with two holiday weekends in a row is not the best either.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
new straw
Most of us in 1a don't have to watch the news for doom and gloom, we've either had it or have worked with enough to know that it's real and scary. So, not gonna bite on that one any more than I have. Some are getting it, and some are deferring, due to the request we wait if we have had it in the last 90 days. Pretty simple.
bryanhome
Not that it matters, but I believe the Pfizer vaccine is the one that has to be in super cold storage. the Moderna can be stored in a regular refrigerator.
KidDoc
AG
bryanhome said:

Not that it matters, but I believe the Pfizer vaccine is the one that has to be in super cold storage. the Moderna can be stored in a regular refrigerator.
Correct but it still has several steps prior to use and then once thawed it must be used or tossed.
cavscout96
AG
laavispa said:

Anecdotal, my PCP had vaccine appointment at St Jo's yesterday. 1a running somewhat less than warp speed. In another example an HEB in another county had pharmacist vaccinated and remaining doses distributed to 'management'...

My SIL in another state is a 1b. They have their appointment for the 11th already. Granted they live in a senior facility and Walgreens will be in site to administer.

The state run vaccine board is not updating or atleast getting information from providers.

All in all a very confusing situation.... but 'warp speed' is hyperbole.
state and local "leaders "
cavscout96
AG
new straw said:

Most of us in 1a don't have to watch the news for doom and gloom, we've either had it or have worked with enough to know that it's real and scary. So, not gonna bite on that one any more than I have. Some are getting it, and some are deferring, due to the request we wait if we have had it in the last 90 days. Pretty simple.
How many in your particular situation in the 12K 1A folks in the area\? Is the proportion really THAT high?

Maybe, but since we have know transparency or useful reporting of data, impossible to tell.
trouble
AG
That's why HEB is doing it by appt only. They are scheduling 10 within a 2 hour window.
Nosmo
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/01/04/how-many-covid-19-vaccines-has-brazos-county-received-and-why-are-we-still-in-phase-1a/

Per KBTX, the following is allocation of vaccine thru "Week 4".

Looks like some new locations have been added.

Quote:

Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - College Station College Station 1,175
St. Joseph Health College Station Hospital College Station 600
St. Joseph Health Primary Care- Wd Fitch College Station 200
HEB Pharmacy 543 College Station 100
HEB Pharmacy 619 College Station 100
HEB Pharmacy 746 College Station 100
HealthPoint ABC College Station 100
Kroger Pharmacy 361 College Station 100
St. Joseph Hospital (Meditech) Bryan 2,500
St. Joseph Primary Austins Colony Bryan 300
St. Joseph Primary Care 29th Bryan 200
St. Joseph Primary Care University Dr. Bryan 200
St. Joseph Primary Care W Villa Maria Bryan 100
Brazos County Health & Wellness Bryan 100
HealthPoint BCS Bryan 100
HealthPoint Memorial Bryan 100
Bryan Family Medicine Clinic Bryan 100
Legacy Nursing & Rehabilitation Bryan 100
HEB Pharmacy 544 Bryan 100
HEB Pharmacy 644 Bryan 100
Kroger Pharmacy 383 Bryan 100
Brookshires Pharmacy 1004 Bryan 500

Total 7075

cavscout96
AG
Nosmo said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/01/04/how-many-covid-19-vaccines-has-brazos-county-received-and-why-are-we-still-in-phase-1a/

Per KBTX, the following is allocation of vaccine thru "Week 4".

Looks like some new locations have been added.

Quote:

Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - College Station College Station 1,175
St. Joseph Health College Station Hospital College Station 600
St. Joseph Health Primary Care- Wd Fitch College Station 200
HEB Pharmacy 543 College Station 100
HEB Pharmacy 619 College Station 100
HEB Pharmacy 746 College Station 100
HealthPoint ABC College Station 100
Kroger Pharmacy 361 College Station 100
St. Joseph Hospital (Meditech) Bryan 2,500
St. Joseph Primary Austins Colony Bryan 300
St. Joseph Primary Care 29th Bryan 200
St. Joseph Primary Care University Dr. Bryan 200
St. Joseph Primary Care W Villa Maria Bryan 100
Brazos County Health & Wellness Bryan 100
HealthPoint BCS Bryan 100
HealthPoint Memorial Bryan 100
Bryan Family Medicine Clinic Bryan 100
Legacy Nursing & Rehabilitation Bryan 100
HEB Pharmacy 544 Bryan 100
HEB Pharmacy 644 Bryan 100
Kroger Pharmacy 383 Bryan 100
Brookshires Pharmacy 1004 Bryan 500

Total 7075

would be nice to see the number administered at each of those locations.
trouble
AG
I don't know how many they've actually given but HEB has appts set for every dose they currently have
cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

I don't know how many they've actually given but HEB has appts set for every dose they currently have
why am I not surprised?

That gang has their collective %^&! together every time there is adversity facing their community. See: Harvey response, etc.
cavscout96
AG
BCHD... not so much
trouble
AG
Agreed. They are good about updates as well. I've been watching for them to open appts to 1b.
FlyRod
So the Physician's Center (where I go) isn't doing them?

Cool.
trouble
AG
At least not yet. They may get some in the next allocation.
cavscout96
AG
So, based on the anecdotal feedback on this thread, I know, I know.... the two Texas-based Grocery chains are outperforming the health care conglomerates in actual vaccine distribution.... Let. That. Sink. In.
EBrazosAg
AG
The whole thing would run smooth if the grocery stores, pharmacies - big and mom and pop, and physician offices - independent and large group, were running it along with Walmart, Target, etc. Hospitals aren't designed to do this and don't do it for most vaccines. And health districts are by and large poorly run government agencies. Not the fault of the individuals working there. They just don't have the funding, talent, or process to make it work. In general the country is so worried about giving it to the right groups in the right order they are not giving it to anyone (as fast and efficiently as they could).
theNetSmith
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/app/2021/01/05/brazos-county-thousands-of-covid-19-vaccines-are-still-sitting-on-local-shelves/

Quote:

Brazos County officials learned Tuesday only 3,000 of the more than 7,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses allocated to the county have been administered.

Brazos County Commissioner Precinct 4 Irma Cauley says that while the state has a plan to distribute vaccines, she thinks that Brazos County is not benefitting from that plan.

"I want us to work more efficiently and effectively together," said Cauley. I hear the number 7,000 doses; I thought that was too small, "said Cauley. "However, if 3,000 is still on the shelf evidently I got to reassess that".
cavscout96
AG
EBrazosAg said:

The whole thing would run smooth if the grocery stores, pharmacies - big and mom and pop, and physician offices - independent and large group, were running it along with Walmart, Target, etc. Hospitals aren't designed to do this and don't do it for most vaccines. And health districts are by and large poorly run government agencies. Not the fault of the individuals working there. They just don't have the funding, talent, or process to make it work. In general the country is so worried about giving it to the right groups in the right order they are not giving it to anyone (as fast and efficiently as they could).
What is the common denominator in the "success" stories you listed? Less bureaucracy, more agile and adaptive leadership.

Not the fault of the rank and file, certainly, BUT the leaders show no imagination or adaptability when they perform like this. Unacceptable.

------------------------------------------

I've said it before, If you'd given this mission to literally ANY military organization, we'd be half-way through 1B by now and every available shot would have been administered in the same time frame.

And I mean ANY military organization...from the MP kennel master to the heavy truck platoon or the Air Traffic Control to the Artillery Fire Direction Center could have done a better job planning and executing this roll out than our giant health care systems and BCHD appear to be doing.

A once in a century, global pandemic, and THIS is the level of coordination and effectiveness you get from your local and state leaders and the behemoths entrusted with the healthcare of the citizenry. Abysmal.

cavscout96
AG
theNetSmith said:

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2021/01/05/brazos-county-thousands-of-covid-19-vaccines-are-still-sitting-on-local-shelves/

Quote:

Brazos County officials learned Tuesday only 3,000 of the more than 7,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses allocated to the county have been administered.

Brazos County Commissioner Precinct 4 Irma Cauley says that while the state has a plan to distribute vaccines, she thinks that Brazos County is not benefitting from that plan.

"I want us to work more efficiently and effectively together," said Cauley. I hear the number 7,000 doses; I thought that was too small, "said Cauley. "However, if 3,000 is still on the shelf evidently I got to reassess that".

So, they have no idea what is really going on? que up my shocked face..... Also, 3000 doesn't jibe with the numbers we've been seeing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.