Mandatory Face mask policy on TAMU campus

25,170 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by isitjustme
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tb9665 said:

I still see some areas not following the mask policy. Maybe a reminder should be sent out agian.
Or you could just call the authorities and let them know. Not the police b/c they will not be involved with this hooey, but the President's office. Then you would be doing your good deed to protect us all from ourselves.
FlyRod
"Guidance" is trickling out as to how to handle in classroom mask non-compliance. I don't think this is going to go well, or smoothly. Student without mask gets asked to leave. Said student gets mad, coughs on instructor on way out. Something bad happens to instructor 10-14 days later.

Just one scenario.
cavscout96
AG
I think this is a pretty unlikely scenario. Most of the students will comply. Some might get mad. I can't imagine a scenario where one would intentionally cough on an instructor, much less if they though they were actually sick.

Now COULD it happen? Sure.

Is it likely to happen? No.

If it DID happen, what are the chances the instructor gets sick and dies?

Well, first the student would have to have it. This is complete conjecture, but I'd guesstimate high and say about 20% have it. So, 20% chance the kid has it.

Instructor is masked, right? So, the recent study BY TAMU RESEARCHER, shows masks to be +/- 40% "effective." So no you're down to 8% that chance that any droplets containing the virus reach the instructor.

Now, The CDC has told us that for sufficient amounts of the virus to enter our system to make us ill we, generally, need "prolonged, close contact." Defined as less than 6' for more than 10 minutes.

A cough duration is, what , fractions of a second? For argument's sake we'll just say its a full second.

There are 600 seconds in 10 minutes, the previously stated "close contact duration" established by the CDC.

So, a single cough is 1/600. Multiply that by 8/100 (8%) and you get 8/60000, or 6.7 x 10-4 or .013% chance this scenario plays out.

So even if the actions described occur 100, 000 times, the prof will only get sick 13 of those times. There recovery rate (published from KNOWN infections) is about 90% nationwide. So the professor dying in this scenario is, essentially, less than 12 in 100,000 or 1 in 8,300.

trouble
AG
So you charge them with assault like you would if they spot on a professor.
lost my dog
From https://provost.tamu.edu/Campus-Messages/Fall-2020-Courses-at-TAMU

"The new face covering policy (SAP) is in effect for all on campus. Those without a face covering shall not enter the classroom unless they have a note indicating an approved exemption and communicate this information to the faculty member. Individuals with an TAMU-issued exemption should wear a face shield if consistent with ADA accommodations. Faculty may request a student without a face covering or exemption to put on a face covering or vacate the classroom and join the class virtually. If the student refuses to leave, the faculty member should notify the Student Conduct Office who will treat noncompliance as a conduct violation."

See Student Rule 27 to see what penalties are possible for student conduct violations. I would imagine that repeat offenders could find themselves suspended.
isitjustme
AG
lost my dog said:

"The new face covering policy (SAP) is in effect for all on campus. Those without a face covering shall not enter the classroom unless they have a note indicating an approved exemption and communicate this information to the faculty member. Individuals with an TAMU-issued exemption should wear a face shield if consistent with ADA accommodations. Faculty may request a student without a face covering or exemption to put on a face covering or vacate the classroom and join the class virtually. If the student refuses to leave, the faculty member should notify the Student Conduct Office who will treat noncompliance as a conduct violation."

See Student Rule 27 to see what penalties are possible for student conduct violations. I would imagine that repeat offenders could find themselves suspended.
If 20-25% of students did not comply, do you really think they would suspend that many? What about 5-10%?
BluHorseShu
AG
agrab86 said:

lost my dog said:

If 20-25% of students did not comply, do you really think they would suspend that many? What about 5-10%?
I think it would be tiered discipline response, but if it happens more than a couple of times, then yes they would suspend that many. If the students don't want to wear a mask, they can take the class virtually. I think if any students refuse, it will be less than 1% at most.
isitjustme
AG
We shall see. I have no idea how many will refuse, or how many faculty/instructors will decide not to enforce it, but it'll be interesting.
BluHorseShu
AG
agrab86 said:

We shall see. I have no idea how many will refuse, or how many faculty/instructors will decide not to enforce it, but it'll be interesting.
It will be. I think the bigger problem will be those wearing masks that are dirty/never washed. I also don't want to have to police the ones constantly wearing them below their nose.
I'll help enforce it....but man this is not going to be a fun semester.
tb9665
Would be a great idea for TAMU to send another reminder about the state mandatory face mask policy. I have seen it kind of slacking around campus. Some people not taking it seriously.
isitjustme
AG
tb9665 said:

Would be a great idea for TAMU to send another reminder about the state mandatory face mask policy. I have seen it kind of slacking around campus. Some people not taking it seriously.
It's really not worth taking it seriously as it is a pretty poor edict by Abbott (and Young before that) in the first place.
tb9665
There are studies now where the aerosols stay in the air for 3 hours after an infected person has been there.
lost my dog
agrab86 said:

tb9665 said:

It's really not worth taking it seriously as it is a pretty poor edict by Abbott (and Young before that) in the first place.
Wait until the term starts. Faculty aren't on campus now and neither are the students. Staff may be getting away with not wearing masks now (although I'm still curious in which unit). But there is significant concern among the faculty about how this will be enforced, and guidance on that question from upper administration.

I respect your right to your opinion on Abbott and Young, but until it is rescinded it remains a rule on campus. Unless a person is willing to do civil disobedience on the mask rule, which assumes the willingness to accept the consequences (including expulsion), one should take it seriously.
isitjustme
AG
tb9665 said:

There are studies now where the aerosols stay in the air for 3 hours after an infected person has been there.
tomorrow's study will say something different. It's like the weather.
chickencoupe16
AG
lost my dog said:

agrab86 said:

tb9665 said:

...(although I'm still curious in which unit).

Narc.
lost my dog
chickencoupe16 said:

lost my dog said:

agrab86 said:

tb9665 said:

...(although I'm still curious in which unit).

Narc.
Lol, I'm not going to report them unless they get in my face. I just want to get popcorn and watch people think they can mess with TAMU administration like they have some leg to stand on. I doubt Gaines West will come to their rescue
cavscout96
AG
tb9665 said:

in lab conditions.....
Carnwellag2
Are the police writing tickets for this?
lost my dog
Carnwellag2 said:

Are the police writing tickets for this?
Here is what I have heard:

"Can students or employees be directed to vacate university property by a supervisor if they refuse to wear a face covering?
Yes, unless they have received an exemption (described above) or the area or position has been granted a waiver from the face coverings policy. The agreement to come back to campus includes a requirement to follow all safety regulations. If individuals are not wearing a face covering in a public space, the first response should be a collegial reminder and an offer of a clean face covering, if one is available. If the individual refuses to wear a face covering, a supervisor (for students this could be a faculty member or a staff member overseeing the area) may direct the individual to leave the public space. For example, a faculty member could direct a student to attend a class remotely rather than in person. If the individual refuses to wear a face covering or leave the space, this should be reported to Student Affairs (students), Human Resources (staff) or Dean of Faculties (faculty) and dealt with using established disciplinary mechanisms.

No, they should not limit access to the facility unless the action is approved through disciplinary mechanisms."

It does not sound like the police will be involved

But seriously (and I'm not saying this is what you think) I think a lot of posters on here think people on campus are going to be like Mel Gibson in Braveheart, throw off their masks, and charge Rudder Tower yelling "freedom". I don't think this will happen.

Faculty are concerned about how to teach with masks (or whether to teach in person at all), not whether or not to wear a mask.

Students at A&M generally follow the rules; this isn't UC Berkeley. If they don't want to wear a mask, they can sit at home and take their classes remotely. It would take extra effort to get out of bed, put clothes on, come into campus and then not wear a mask just to make a point. You think students are going to do that? Way too much work

IMO if what another thread says about RIFs is true, why would any staff employee want to raise a stink about this?
doubledog
Face masks are also an issue of Risk Management.

If you engage in behavior that provides a potential risk to society then that risk must be mediated.
tb9665
Florida reported 15,000 cases today. The governor will not issue a face mask policy. Miami did. If most everyone wore a face mask the cases would be much lower.
cavscout96
AG
tb9665 said:

Florida reported 15,000 cases today. The governor will not issue a face mask policy. Miami did. If most everyone wore a face mask the cases would be much lower.

Unsupported conjecture
K2T2
https://smartasset.com/checking-account/college-towns-most-vulnerable-during-covid19-2020

Found this fun link. I think the risk is based on concentration of the types of places where college students would be congregating.
isitjustme
AG
K2T2 said:

https://smartasset.com/checking-account/college-towns-most-vulnerable-during-covid19-2020

Found this fun link. I think the risk is based on concentration of the types of places where college students would be congregating.
The study looks at economic impact of students not being in town. That is huge in a smaller city like CS where 60,000 out of 135,000 residents are students, and not many are here.

But when they are here, covid goes up b/c not much else for that age range to do but gather and party. Happened in June, lower in July b/c not as many students in town. Will likely explode in fall semester with online classes and lots of free time to gather and party.
AggieBarstool
cavscout96 said:

tb9665 said:

Unsupported conjecture
How is it conjecture? It's science, for crying out loud.

You freedom fighters will come up with any nonsense to justify not wearing a mask.
cavscout96
AG
Actually, it's not science.

It's not proven, and it's a blanket, non-quantfied statement. That is not science or how science works.
lost my dog
cavscout96 said:

Actually, it's not science.

It's not proven, and it's a blanket, non-quantfied statement. That is not science or how science works.
It doesn't matter. All y'all have to wear masks on campus. If you don't like it, go fight the provost, president and chancellor. Have fun!
FlyRod
No one will have to fight any of your friends in administration because the mandatory mask order was purposefully vague. So people will be "wearing" masks...under their chins, on their heads, on their pants, etc.
chickencoupe16
AG
FlyRod said:

No one will have to fight any of your friends in administration because the mandatory mask order was purposefully vague. So people will be "wearing" masks...under their chins, on their heads, on their pants, etc.

They already do. Plenty don't even wear them.
FlyRod
I know. It's a joke. A killing joke.
lost my dog
FlyRod said:

It's my belief that the vast majority of people posting on here are not students, and may not even go on campus regularly. Hence it doesn't really matter what they say here. It's all political posturing.

I have tried to provide actual information about what campus policies will be with regard to masks on this thread. New statements have come out which are even stronger. But people on this thread would rather discuss the science of masks. My point was that this fight on Texags is irrelevant - the mask rule exists. Deal with it. Or fight those who imposed it. Arguing here is wasting time.

I get the sense you're trying to insult me by saying I have "friends in administration." Eh, whatever. I won't speak to your area of campus. I am reasonably certain that people in my area will not try to play games with masks.
Hammerheadjim
AG
FlyRod said:

No they will not in my labs. They will wear the face mask as required and consider a part of their PPE at all times. If they don't they will be removed from the lab. We have direct rules in place and there is zero tolerance for not complying. Classrooms are a different story. Labs have a much higher chance of transmission than public spaces or classrooms.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Monywolf
tb9665 said:

1.You are full of sh&t.
2. Number of cases is not the concern. Number of deaths is.
FlyRod
Deaths lag behind number of cases (after hospitalizations).
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

Deaths lag behind number of cases (after hospitalizations).
And in Brazos county, the number of deaths is now 40, or a 1.18% mortality rate (% of cases), or a 0.017% death rate (as % of population).

Mortality rate for 70+ = 15.73%
Mortality rate for 50s-60s = 1.63%
Mortality rate for <50 = 0.00%, and this is on 77.9% of the cases, or 2,646 cases.

Just a little perspective. No untimely death is good. But not everybody who gets covid dies from it, not even close.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.