Mandatory Face mask policy on TAMU campus

25,144 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by isitjustme
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agrab86 said:

Weak pres young just announced a mandatory face mask policy to bein Monday, June 15 for anyone on campus not in their own office. This is total bs and will be extremely difficult to enforce. Comments welcomed.
The mask policy extends to all contractors and subcontractors. In that case if you do not want to wear a mask at A&M then you can always not accept the work. Your choice.
cavscout96
AG
lost my dog said:

Carnwellag2 said:

1.618 said:

agrab86 said:

A lot of people who work there do not want to wear them. We know and accept the risks.
But you can't accept the risk that you might put on me by not wearing a mask, so if you don't like the workplace rules, you are free to find another place to work. I'll wear a mask to protect myself and to protect others. It is no big deal. But if you feel that your rights are being violated by having to cover your face, by all means, polish up that resume and move on.
Whoa whoa whoa..... is this the way it is..... so if the president said all classes will be in person at full capacity.... then any professor who objects should quit...... is that your stance???
Given the employment law in Texas, that is the correct answer.

But I think you fundamentally misunderstand the role of professors at a university. In economic terms, professors are not simply employees, they are the capital of the university.

Think of a university like a law firm. If the managing partner of a large corporate law firm makes decisions that drive away a large number of partners, the law firm will cease to be viable. And despite what some people think, professors at a Tier 1 university are not easily replaceable.

So yes, the university administration needs to take into account the concerns of its employees in a way that other employers may not. And there are other public relations issues here too - no one wants to have students who get sick and parent who then sue.

Now, to be honest I think Michael K. Young came out with this proclamation right now because UT got ahead of A&M on this, but that's an entirely different discussion.
I think the faculty are driving this decision entirely. I think the President agrees and is happy to go along.

I don't think it really has much to do with parents suing, but has lots to do with the hysteria generated early in this and the number of faculty that consider themselves high risk..
Carnwellag2
lost my dog said:

Carnwellag2 said:

1.618 said:

agrab86 said:

A lot of people who work there do not want to wear them. We know and accept the risks.
But you can't accept the risk that you might put on me by not wearing a mask, so if you don't like the workplace rules, you are free to find another place to work. I'll wear a mask to protect myself and to protect others. It is no big deal. But if you feel that your rights are being violated by having to cover your face, by all means, polish up that resume and move on.
Whoa whoa whoa..... is this the way it is..... so if the president said all classes will be in person at full capacity.... then any professor who objects should quit...... is that your stance???
Given the employment law in Texas, that is the correct answer.

But I think you fundamentally misunderstand the role of professors at a university. In economic terms, professors are not simply employees, they are the capital of the university.

Think of a university like a law firm. If the managing partner of a large corporate law firm makes decisions that drive away a large number of partners, the law firm will cease to be viable. And despite what some people think, professors at a Tier 1 university are not easily replaceable.

So yes, the university administration needs to take into account the concerns of its employees in a way that other employers may not. And there are other public relations issues here too - no one wants to have students who get sick and parent who then sue.

Now, to be honest I think Michael K. Young came out with this proclamation right now because UT got ahead of A&M on this, but that's an entirely different discussion.
my point was 1.618 seems to be ok with supporting this mandate because he agrees with it...... i think he would throw a tantrum if it was something he didn't agree with
FlyRod
There's been lots of confusion and perceived mixed messages about what is and is not safe. I'm guessing adminSharp, regents, Young consulted with the public health experts here, which TAMU has an excellent reputation for and arrived at this decision.

Most faculty and instructors in each unit were asked their preferences, and most chose online (based on unit heads I've spoken with). Admin made it clear they wanted students and instructors back in the classroom. This is the compromise option: masks to reduce transmission in indoor spaces, or online again.

Which I'm betting will end up being the "enforcement" that may come; no "mask police" but rather a shutdown, esp if instructors start falling ill and classes are disrupted. I doubt many (if any) students want that scenario.

Sharp said clearly that things wouldn't look the same in the fall, gotta take the man at his word.
91_Aggie
AG

[Please make your point without insults on this forum. Thank you. -Staff]
isitjustme
AG

The models on covid have been horrendously off the mark, especially the British ones.

Btw, I endorse the use of vaccines that have a high degree of efficacy, like MMR and DpT. Not so much the seasonal flu shot. But I also endorse people choosing whether or not to take one or not.
techno-ag
AG
FlyRod said:

There's been lots of confusion and perceived mixed messages about what is and is not safe. I'm guessing adminSharp, regents, Young consulted with the public health experts here, which TAMU has an excellent reputation for and arrived at this decision.

Most faculty and instructors in each unit were asked their preferences, and most chose online (based on unit heads I've spoken with). Admin made it clear they wanted students and instructors back in the classroom. This is the compromise option: masks to reduce transmission in indoor spaces, or online again.

Which I'm betting will end up being the "enforcement" that may come; no "mask police" but rather a shutdown, esp if instructors start falling ill and classes are disrupted. I doubt many (if any) students want that scenario.

Sharp said clearly that things wouldn't look the same in the fall, gotta take the man at his word.
So you're saying, "Trust Sharp."
FlyRod
6/10.
Belton Ag
AG
Txmoe said:

Belton Ag said:

We will see a spread among all those people you mentioned, facemasks or not. It's just the nature of this thing. I don't mind at all, and tend to agree with, the policy of requiring facemasks indoors; but it's not a small inconvenience to wear a facemask outdoors in this heat and would be ridiculous overkill to enforce it on people out in the middle of the golf course.

Edit: was able to read Young's announcement and it doesn't apply to outdoors.
Sorry to be 'that guy' but Young's email did specify "outdoor spaces where six feet or more of physical distancing is difficult to reliably maintain."
Sorry to be "that guy" but if you read until the end you'll notice that I was able to read the full text of Young's statement after I had posted this, thus the edit.
isitjustme
AG
Belton Ag said:

Txmoe said:

Belton Ag said:

We will see a spread among all those people you mentioned, facemasks or not. It's just the nature of this thing. I don't mind at all, and tend to agree with, the policy of requiring facemasks indoors; but it's not a small inconvenience to wear a facemask outdoors in this heat and would be ridiculous overkill to enforce it on people out in the middle of the golf course.

Sorry to be 'that guy' but Young's email did specify "outdoor spaces where six feet or more of physical distancing is difficult to reliably maintain."
Sorry to be "that guy" but if you read until the end you'll notice that I was able to read the full text of Young's statement after I had posted this, thus the edit.
What he's saying is that the policy does apply to outdoor areas if staying 6 ft apart is not possible in that outside area. So your edit is incorrect.
Belton Ag
AG
agrab86 said:

Belton Ag said:

Txmoe said:

Belton Ag said:

What he's saying is that the policy does apply to outdoor areas if staying 6 ft apart is not possible in that outside area. So your edit is incorrect.
I know. I rushed the edit I made yesterday. My original post was was focusing on people out in the middle of the golf course. After I read the release I realized they're not really applying it to situations like that.

isitjustme
AG
It's all good.
johnnyblaze36
AG
It was pointed out in another thread the policy is to be reviewed again shortly in the YEAR 2025!!

One can only hope that was a typo but even if so that just goes to show you the level incompetency that's run rampant throughout this entire University and society as a whole.

If Michael Young or any other "expert" thinks I'm wearing a mask on September 5th in 103 degree heat they've lost their ever loving minds.
doubledog
johnnyblaze36 said:

It was pointed out in another thread the policy is to be reviewed again shortly in the YEAR 2025!!

One can only hope that was a typo but even if so that just goes to show you the level incompetency that's run rampant throughout this entire University and society as a whole.

If Michael Young or any other "expert" thinks I'm wearing a mask on September 5th in 103 degree heat they've lost their ever loving minds.
You only need to wear a mask in the buildings. (a little less than 103F normally).

PPE is the norm for many researchers on campus so wearing a mask, gloves and other protective equipment is no big deal. I suggest good dental hygiene since you will need to smell your own breath. For smokers it is an annoyance (good time to quit eh).

The 2025 is a mandated review. There are weekly discussions on all COVID-19 issues (I can testify to that).
tb9665
If you do not want to wear a mask, I am sure that there is a person unemployed that would love to take your job and wear it. If it is a policy, I guess it will appear on your evaluation and that would be a mark against any merit raises.
FlyRod
A certain prominent local food critic (now relocated) wrote a scathing review of Christopher's because they wouldn't let him in wearing shorts (pants required).

Businesses and organizations routinely set policies about attire that rile folks.
techno-ag
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

If Michael Young or any other loser "expert" thinks I'm wearing a mask on September 5th in 103 degree heat they've lost their ever loving minds.
This too shall pass. I bet after somebody sues an employer for suffering ill effects from being forced to wear a mask, policies like this will be dropped around the country. Remember, the merits of the lawsuit don't matter so much as the threat.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

A certain prominent local food critic (now relocated) wrote a scathing review of Christopher's because they wouldn't let him in wearing shorts (pants required).

Businesses and organizations routinely set policies about attire that rile folks.
Again, Gov. Abbott prohibited cities and the like from requiring face mask wear in a late April exec order, and has repeated that again in interviews. TAMU is not a private business but rather a a taxpayer-supported public entity and much closer in nature to a city. Pres Young appears to be violating the governor's executive order, which is odd as his boss's bosses (BOR) are appointed by the Gov.
FlyRod
Not so odd if you believe Abbott green lighted the BOR's endorsement. I'd give until early next week to see if he responds to this, and if not, fair to assume he's ok with it.

What might be worth checking is if any other state agencies have tried to implement mandatory mask wearing and he vetoed them.

I'm skeptical any lawsuits due to "ill effects" of mask wearing will happen due to medical exemptions being available.
Fitch
AG
Lol if you think the three largest universities Regents are instituting policies across their systems that the Gov may later crush. These guys all have each other's cell phone digits.
gopitt
No mask for me. Particularly in this oppressive heat. I will maintain my 6' social distancing.
Packed planes have many without masks. Unenforceable. Liberal BS.
TAMUgirl87
I was not very excited about wearing a face mask to work, but will be making a Lawrence Sullivan Ross mask this weekend to wear. Gig'em
lost my dog
gopitt said:

No mask for me. Particularly in this oppressive heat. I will maintain my 6' social distancing.
Packed planes have many without masks. Unenforceable. Liberal BS.
That's easy enough if you work outside on campus and don't come into contact with the students.

In other cases, I foresee many uncomfortable conversations between managers and employees
Fitch
AG
TAMUgirl87 said:

I was not very excited about wearing a face mask to work, but will be making a Lawrence Sullivan Ross mask this weekend to wear. Gig'em

If some enterprising young student wants to make a #SaveSully mask to sell outside Kyle Field I'd buy a dozen or so.
AggieBarstool
tb9665 said:

If you do not want to wear a mask, I am sure that there is a person unemployed that would love to take your job and wear it. If it is a policy, I guess it will appear on your evaluation and that would be a mark against any merit raises.
OOOH! I didn't think about that There's a section that evaluates employees on Safety and Compliance. Not complying with a face mask penalty fits perfectly!

Thank you!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
agrab86 said:

Weak pres young
Has the search committee been formed to find the replacement for this milk toast?

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
W
AG
I'm not a big fan of President Young...

but one of his most important jobs is to help graduating seniors find employment.

and unfortunately a "free mask" policy or "no mask" policy might prevent some companies and recruiters from coming to campus in the fall.

it is what it is
doubledog
cavscout96 said:

doubledog said:

75AG said:

If we see a spread among faculty, staff, or students, the campus will be shut down. I don't understand those opposed to this small inconvenience to keep the campus open. If things get better, the regulation is rescinded.
This, In most departments it has been mandatory for weeks. Small price to pay for getting back to work.
play #2
Response # 2 : So wearing clothes on campus is also a rule. Perhaps you would like to walk around campus buck naked, but it ain't going to happen, get used to it! I have to get dressed to go to work, so do you.
isitjustme
AG
W said:

I'm not a big fan of President Young...

but one of his most important jobs is to help graduating seniors find employment.

and unfortunately a "free mask" policy or "no mask" policy might prevent some companies and recruiters from coming to campus in the fall.

it is what it is
I disagree. It is not any university's job to help graduating seniors find employment but rather to prepare them for the workforce in their field of study. Companies/recruiters flock to TAMU because TAMU does a great job in preparing students for careers, and that is what it is.

If there are companies/recruiters that do not wish to come to TAMU b/c of an optional face mask policy, then the company misses out on a very important pool of future professionals to their company's detriment. Further, a career fare could be a required face mask zone w/o TAMU being one at all times, as can the career center. Still, I don't believe it to be that important when compared to the quality for our graduates.
AggiePhil
AG
Saw many maskless people on campus today. Not good!
dubi
AG
AggiePhil said:

I'm ok with it if they are young.
tb9665
If you look at the statistics from county, it's 22 percent 20 year old people.
dubi
AG
tb9665 said:

And they typically have zero or very mild symptoms.

Develop herd immunity one young person at a time is my motto!
techno-ag
AG
dubi said:

tb9665 said:

And they typically have zero or very mild symptoms.

Develop herd immunity one young person at a time is my motto!
No masks, especially for young people.
lost my dog
AggiePhil said:

The rule doesn't start until Monday

Plus, campus is pretty deserted...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.