Mandatory Face mask policy on TAMU campus

25,085 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by isitjustme
Monywolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod said:

Deaths lag behind number of cases (after hospitalizations).
And we haven't seen a commensurate pickup in deaths.
techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

FlyRod said:

Deaths lag behind number of cases (after hospitalizations).
And in Brazos county, the number of deaths is now 40, or a 1.18% mortality rate (% of cases), or a 0.017% death rate (as % of population).

Mortality rate for 70+ = 15.73%
Mortality rate for 50s-60s = 1.63%
Mortality rate for <50 = 0.00%, and this is on 77.9% of the cases, or 2,646 cases.

Just a little perspective. No untimely death is good. But not everybody who gets covid dies from it, not even close.
So true, and so commonly overlooked by the fear mongers out there.
lost my dog
The past 5 posts prove my point:

"It's my belief that the vast majority of people posting on here are not students, and may not even go on campus regularly. Hence it doesn't really matter what they say here. It's all political posturing.

... people on this thread would rather discuss the science of masks. My point was that this fight on Texags is irrelevant - the mask rule exists. Deal with it. Or fight those who imposed it. Arguing here is wasting time."

Perhaps y'all should take this discussion to a different thread? Or explain how your take on the corona virus statistics will/can affect the mask policy on campus?

cavscout96
AG
lost my dog said:

"It's my belief that the vast majority of people posting on here are not students, and may not even go on campus regularly. Hence it doesn't really matter what they say here. It's all political posturing.

... people on this thread would rather discuss the science of masks. My point was that this fight on Texags is irrelevant - the mask rule exists. Deal with it. Or fight those who imposed it. Arguing here is wasting time."

Perhaps y'all should take this discussion to a different thread? Or explain how your take on the corona virus statistics will/can affect the mask policy on campus?

yet here we are......why, then, do you keep bringing it up?

for context, I've been on campus at least three days / week since March, and 5 days / week since July 1
isitjustme
AG
lost my dog said:

A few things.

First - I started this topic thread so I can introduce any point of view regarding masks that I want to. OP prerogative, you know.

Second - I started back to my campus office regularly in June, before the mask policy, and have yet to wear a mask on campus. I've taken steps to lessen my presence throughout my building, but I have not worn a mask regardless.

Third - some people who make decisions pay attention to this forum. We now have the Health Department properly counting active cases as of last week, no small victory. Also, the media pays attention to this forum as well, and they sometimes report on it and influence decision makers. By pointing out how ludicrous the mask policy is via the use of statistics, maybe the decision makers will improve or ditch this policy.

We know the policy, many of us do not like the policy but can only try and influence change in anonymity due to potential retribution, and we are trying to do so via stats and viewpoints. So get over it if you don't like our approach. You may go waste your time elsewhere.

lost my dog
agrab86 said:

A few things.

First - I started this topic thread so I can introduce any point of view regarding masks that I want to. OP prerogative, you know.

Second - I started back to my campus office regularly in June, before the mask policy, and have yet to wear a mask on campus. I've taken steps to lessen my presence throughout my building, but I have not worn a mask regardless.

Third - some people who make decisions pay attention to this forum. We now have the Health Department properly counting active cases as of last week, no small victory. Also, the media pays attention to this forum as well, and they sometimes report on it and influence decision makers. By pointing out how ludicrous the mask policy is via the use of statistics, maybe the decision makers will improve or ditch this policy.

We know the policy, many of us do not like the policy but can only try and influence change in anonymity due to potential retribution, and we are trying to do so via stats and viewpoints. So get over it if you don't like our approach. You may go waste your time elsewhere.

1) True, you do have OP's prerogative . And tbh it wasn't your post that bothered me but the one where the poster said another poster was full of something. Sorry

2) I continue to be amazed at the diversity of office policies and management at A&M. I will be curious to see if lax mask rule enforcement survives the return of students, at least at units at A&M that actually deal with students.

3) I would contend that there are avenues in the university through which you can make your voice heard. If you are faculty, there is the faculty senate. If you are staff there is the University Staff Council. (If you're SSC, you are in a bad spot on having an advocate, unfortunately.) Since I don't know who your boss is, I can't speak to potential retribution.

Your statistics are on death rates, not mask efficacy, but if you can make a good argument against masks based on that perhaps one of the avenues listed above would be a better way to convince the decision-makers. I think hoping KBTX will notice these threads before they notice the Wall Street Journal article from 2 days ago stating that masks do work to slow the spread is a gamble.

I could say more, but I want to be polite and constructive, so I will just go waste my time elsewhere

doubledog
The mask issue is one of risk management.

Let's take motorcycle helmets for example.

If you are riding your bike in excess of 100mph and you have an accident then everyone agrees that the helmet will most likely NOT keep your head safe from serious damage.

If you are riding your bike in around town at 20 to 30mph and you have an accident then everyone agrees that the helmet will most likely keep your head safe from serious damage.

To avoid COVID-19 you must manage your (and others) risk. One way to manage the risk to wear a mask. With that said if you place yourself in high risk situations then the mask (like the helmet) may not save you from yourself.

cavscout96
AG
doubledog said:

If you are riding your bike in excess of 100mph and you have an accident then everyone agrees that the helmet will most likely NOT keep your head safe from serious damage.

If you are riding your bike in around town at 20 to 30mph and you have an accident then everyone agrees that the helmet will most likely keep your head safe from serious damage.

To avoid COVID-19 you must manage your (and others) risk. One way to manage the risk to wear a mask. With that said if you place yourself in high risk situations then the mask (like the helmet) may not save you from yourself.

False. I don't agree. Why, then, to road races and m/c drag racers where them?

Why is it my responsibility to manage another's risk? Ever? Unless I am specifically charged with the health and well-being of another individual, it is THEIR risk is THEIR problem, not mine. Conversely, MY risk is MY problem, not yours.

Mathguy64
AG
cavscout96 said:

doubledog said:

False. I don't agree. Why, then, to road races and m/c drag racers where them?

Why is it my responsibility to manage another's risk? Ever? Unless I am specifically charged with the health and well-being of another individual, it is THEIR risk is THEIR problem, not mine. Conversely, MY risk is MY problem, not yours.

When you are in a room with others your health by definition affects others. If you have it and are asymptomatic you are potentially transmitting it or any other communicable disease to anyone else in the room.

I really don't understand the reluctance to wear a mask. If you believe it does no good then it cannot possibly hurt you. If this were the 50s and then disease were polio and wearing a mask could possibly reduce transmission everyone in the building would have 3 on and 2 spares in their pocket.
isitjustme
AG
Lot of info floating around by a lot of different posters. My death stats were in response to another poster who wrote deaths lag cases. My point was that regardless of mask policies in Brazos county, deaths, though sad, are at a very low percentage for the vast majority of us. Only 1.44 % of our pop have tested positive, only 1.2% of those have succumbed. Most cases are young - ie undergrad, grad student, young family age - and none of them have died. So why would they need masks. One size fits all policies are not that good.

Also, I'm not saying the policy enforcement in my area is lax, I'm saying I get to my office, stay in my office, then go home.

You do make good points on the policy itself, I'm just trying to show in my way that the policy is unnecessary.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.