CS ordinance banning cell phone use while driving

39,888 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Clo004
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are wrong. They are just bored.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
In case you were wondering how they would ticket you?

Bike cop

Other states use 18 wheelers and lifted trucks. A lifted diesel rolling coal would fit right in around here.
rhoswen
AG
quote:
I've been rear ended twice by people on cell phones. What amazes me is the tolerance and indeed encouragement here for reckless and dangerous behavior. I hope nobody here ever has to bury a friend or family member because some idiot thought sending or replying to a text was more important than being aware of your surroundings while driving.

Who is encouraging reckless and dangerous behavior?
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
So for those of you who acknowledge there is a problem but don't believe laws are the answer, I'll sit back and wait for your proposed solutions to said problem.

Unless of course you don't actually believe there's a problem.

I don't think there's a solution. You forgot that option. Distracted driving is already illegal. Look at it this way. Beer is probably the biggest culprit in drunk driving arrests. Would you be in favor of a law that said it's illegal to drive if you've had a beer whether it's impacting your driving or not?

Bottom line is that lots of things are illegal despite the fact that the law does a poor job of changing that behavior. Why bother particularly when the law is redundant with another law that's already failing miserably? In this particular case if I value my life so little hat I'm willing to do something I know is dangerous the fact that I'm threatening your safety too won't mean anything to me.
BCStalk
I think you are referring to stupid entitled kids. If that's true then I agree. If you are stupid enough to endanger your own life, what is a ticket going to do. Problem still remains though. How do you make people not stupid?
FlyRod
BlazeHarper thank you for that post. Seriously. Insightful and accurate.
Science Denier
AG
quote:
quote:
I've been rear ended twice by people on cell phones. What amazes me is the tolerance and indeed encouragement here for reckless and dangerous behavior. I hope nobody here ever has to bury a friend or family member because some idiot thought sending or replying to a text was more important than being aware of your surroundings while driving.

I didn't say anything that suggests I don't think distracted driving isn't a problem or that it should be tolerated. I said the laws aren't going to work any better than the million other laws that have been passed to control behavior. I generally like government to stick to things they are good at which isn't much and behavior control isn't on the list. Knowing this will fail and thinking there isn't a problem aren't the same thing.
This law will work exactly as intended. Get more money from students into the hands of the city.
AC Hopper
S

quote:
Sometimes people change their behavior when the consequence for not changing it is worse. It can also depend upon how quickly they learn that lesson.

I agree with the person above regarding observing others while slightly removed from the situation. Gives one pause...

Change occurs when the pain of remaining the same

is greater than the pain associated with making a change.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
I think you are referring to stupid entitled kids. If that's true then I agree. If you are stupid enough to endanger your own life, what is a ticket going to do. Problem still remains though. How do you make people not stupid?
You don't. You can't legislate behavior or morality. The past 100 years have proved that beyond any shadow of a doubt. The fact that people keep trying is a reflection on them and their need to control other people. Accept the world as it is and manage your own life accordingly. When I taught my son to drive I drilled into him that the other drivers are all capable of doing something so stupid that to him it was unimaginable and that he needed to assume they were about to do exactly that. Assume the worst and do your best to distance yourself from that person who is changing lanes, stopped on the shoulder, tailgating you or the person in front or beside you or that one pulling up to the stop sign on your right where you supposedly have the right of way. I also taught him that the person bouncing off of the white line is not paying attention and that it didn't matter why he just needed to be aware and to distance himself accordingly. I never once mentioned that he should assume that person wouldn't run that stop sign because it's illegal as that seems completely irrelevant to me. Assume the worst from other drivers.
Science Denier
AG
Ok, is this thing going to be in effect for the Tennessee game on Oct 9?
dubi
AG
quote:
Ok, is this thing going to be in effect for the Tennessee game on Oct 9?

November 9th
Science Denier
AG
quote:
College Station Police Chief Scott McCollum -- who drafted the ordinance -- said education will be key leading up to Nov. 9, the day the ordinance will go into effect.
Has there been any advertising on this? Since education will be the key leading up to Nov 9, I would have expected that to start soon, if it has not yet started.
75AG
AG
quote:
quote:
1. Distracted driving is already illegal
2. I can produce as many studies saying there's no correlation between cell phone use and accidents.
3. City should raise property taxes if they need money.
2. okay... do it.
Still waiting for all those studies.
Science Denier
AG
Here is one. I didn't read it, just going on the title

Cell Phone and accidents
75AG
AG
quote:

Cell Phone and accidents
Lots of holes in that report. Including no differentiation between driver, or passenger, on their cell.
veritas47
Seeing those stupid CoCS taking dog commercials promoting their new pet ordinance, which restricts having dogs in the bed of your truck unless they're tied in, and seeing people driving around town with barking rats in their laps or bouncing from window to window has made me wonder how having a dog in your lap while driving was less distracting than a cell phone. Also, why aren't the Komrades of the Kollege Station Kouncil restricting loose dogs inside vehicles as well?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Seeing those stupid CoCS taking dog commercials promoting their new pet ordinance, which restricts having dogs in the bed of your truck unless they're tied in, and seeing people driving around town with barking rats in their laps or bouncing from window to window has made me wonder how having a dog in your lap while driving was less distracting than a cell phone. Also, why aren't the Komrades of the Kollege Station Kouncil restricting loose dogs inside vehicles as well?
tamufan
Yet, at the end of the day, do we agree that texting while driving is stupid? Even if we have done it ourselves? Can we agree it leads to delays in movements of traffic, such as when the car in front of you 'mysteriously' refuses to move when the light turns green?

What is wrong with ticketing the perps? The electronic records will probably convict them. Just make the penalties high enough to pay the investigation fees plus a penalty. A few such tickets should suffice for the majority of perps.

Driving is a privilege granted by the state. Hence your license. Texting while driving is something that can be prohibited by the state. You can violate this prohibition at your discretion, and face the consequences. I,a single voter, hope those consequences are severe. If I am in the majority, well, maybe you will quit texting or emailing while driving. If not, I hope you pay enough to cover paving some new roads in BCS.
duffelpud
AG
91_Aggie
AG
quote:

Cell Phone and accidents

You should have read it. The study uses data going up to 2005 and is only about talking on a cell phone.

The iPhone came out in 2007. That's when people really started texting and using apps while driving.

So go find another one as that one is not using ancient data and only regarding talking on the phone.
FlyRod
Tamufan knocked it out of the park.
91_Aggie
AG
Science Denier
AG
Here is another one. Not about do cell phones cause accidents, but banning cell phones while driving doesn't decrease accidents

Cell Phone Bans don't decrease accidents
techno-ag
AG
Nailed it.
91_Aggie
AG
And the NTSB called the study irresponsible.
Science Denier
AG
jblaschke said:

Quote:

College Station Police Chief Scott McCollum -- who drafted the ordinance -- said education will be key leading up to Nov. 9, the day the ordinance will go into effect.
Has there been any advertising on this? Since education will be the key leading up to Nov 9, I would have expected that to start soon, if it has not yet started.
Ok, only a few weeks until this starts. Has the "education" campaign started? I mean, they said that was "key" in this, right?
AC Hopper
S
Start handing out tickets for that offense, Chief.
That'll educate 'em!
Seriously.

p.s. - pedestrians, too. (I come close to killing 2 or 3 of them each week as they step into cross-traffic with eyes glued to Facebook, youtube, etc.)
Frio Cielo
The city manager was on TV this morning and made the comment that it is allowable to type a number into the cell phone to make a call while moving and also to use your GPS on your phone as long as it is on the dash board or hanging on the dash board.

I would think that both would be just as distracting and taking ones eyes off the road as texting?
UmustBKidding
Pretty sure it was Jay socol cocs public propaganda distributor.
redd38
AG
Frio Cielo said:

The city manager was on TV this morning and made the comment that it is allowable to type a number into the cell phone to make a call while moving and also to use your GPS on your phone as long as it is on the dash board or hanging on the dash board.

I would think that both would be just as distracting and taking ones eyes off the road as texting?
What if I use pokemon go as my GPS app?
Brewmaster
AG
Stupe said:

I'm in favor of no texting while driving.

Both hands on the wheel is stupid.
definitely too many students texting (and a few others)

try enforcing the 2 hands thing to those with a manual transmission...how long is too long on the shifter? LOL
OnlyANobody
Quote:

What if I use pokemon go as my GPS app?
Post removed:
by user
bcstx06
I wonder if the City of Bryan will follow suit?
isitjustme
AG
I hope not. There are already laws on the books which penalize distracted driving.

We don't need a subcategory for cellphones or radio tuning or eating or applying make-up or reading or dropping something and trying to pick it up or day dreaming or etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.