CS ordinance banning cell phone use while driving

40,095 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Clo004
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess the two hands thing didn't pass, but I was wondering if it would have violated ADA if it did.

Also, aside from manual transmissions, it would make getting out of a parking space pretty hard.
BaitShack
AG
quote:
I hear that a cop rear ended someone on University today. We should pass a law making it illegal for them to use all their gadgets while driving.
It was a state trooper.
dubi
AG
In case you were wondering how they would ticket you?

Bike cop

redd38
AG
quote:

Bike cop

Fortunately we're still allowed to use our phones when we're stopped, so a bike cop wouldn't be very effective.
dubi
AG
quote:
quote:

Bike cop

Fortunately we're still allowed to use our phones when we're stopped, so a bike cop wouldn't be very effective.
Unless you are rolling forward which I think we all do at red lights.
91_Aggie
AG
I was running last night, and was going West on Rock Prairie just past the longmire intersection. I ran by 25 cars and 15 of them had people using their cell phones while rolling forward slowly as the light turned green.

All CSPD has to do is put the motorcycle cops at intersections on foot on the sidewalks and watch as everyone goes through the stop light with their phone in their hand. Just point them into a parking lot and make them wait as give tickets to all of them. He'll even be able to snap photos of them in their car for proof.

There should never be a budget shortfall again! And they can stop raising property taxes (or stop raising everyone's assessed value by the max every year).

redd38
AG
Apparently they're considering banning earbuds while driving or biking now.
FlyRod
Good grief, what's next, banning driving while blindfolded?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
1. Distracted driving is already illegal
2. I can produce as many studies saying there's no correlation between cell phone use and accidents.
3. City should raise property taxes if they need money.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
1. Distracted driving is already illegal
2. I can produce as many studies saying there's no correlation between cell phone use and accidents.
3. City should raise property taxes if they need money.
2. okay... do it.
EVA3
AG
quote:
Good. Drivers need to be able to hear.
MisterShipWreck
quote:
Great points. I saw something on the news about a guy holding to his ear a block of wood painted black. Cops kept pulling him over only to let him go when he showed them it was not a cell phone.

Now, I love that
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:
Good. Drivers need to be able to hear.
So deaf people shouldn't be allowed to drive? Or is there a different definition of "need" that you're using?
FlyRod
Why would a deaf person care about banning ear buds?
rhoswen
AG
That wasn't his point.

Might as well ban loud music in your car too.
redd38
AG
Hell, ban all music in the car. And all talking. Everyone just sit in silence.
EVA3
AG
If you are in a car or on a bicycle, your hearing is an important sense that can prevent a collision. If you're deaf, that's one thing. If you are intentionally interfering with your hearing, that's another.
w8liftr
Shouldn't ear buds be banned while walking as well? I have had numerous almost collisions with people looking at their phones listening to ear buds walking to and from campus.

Maybe CoCS should just ban people and solve all their problems?
redd38
AG
They should ban wearing a new Aggie ring while driving, it's clearly too distracting. Lots of wrecks today.
LOYAL AG
AG
It amazes me how many people think that laws banning popular behavior actually do anything to curtail that behavior. Pretty clear they haven't heard of Prohibition or the War on Drugs.
FlyRod
I've been rear ended twice by people on cell phones. What amazes me is the tolerance and indeed encouragement here for reckless and dangerous behavior. I hope nobody here ever has to bury a friend or family member because some idiot thought sending or replying to a text was more important than being aware of your surroundings while driving.
AC Hopper
S

quote:
What amazes me is the tolerance and indeed encouragement here for reckless and dangerous behavior. I hope nobody here ever has to bury a friend or family member because some idiot thought sending or replying to a text was more important than being aware of your surroundings while driving.
Well said, FlyRod.

Strict, consistent, & daily enforcement will be necessary, and we should demand and expect it from city government.
BlazeHarper
I think the population at large is relatively unwilling or simply does not care to see cell phone use eliminated from their driving routine. Laws like this are perceived as an overreaction, useless, or simply not needed. I do not think their is a stigma attached to distracted driving from using a cell phone either talking or texting like there is with driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence. The behavior has become to common in peoples routine and I think people dismiss the behavior or at least never connect it to actually producing a significantly greater number of automobile/pedestrian accidents.

If people are unwilling to change their behavior in the car with their cell phone usage and people are unwilling to acknowledge it is problem then it will simply fall into being ignored while it continues. I personally believe that most people simply do not care and are not intellectually honest that the issue even exist.

If you think you see a lot of people texting while driving try watching the road or intersection while walking, cycling, or just sitting still back a bit from the road. It is really entirely fascinating how many people do it.
FlyRod
I totally and completely agree and believe that behaving responsibly and with common sense is better than another law.

Sadly people seem to have an astonishingly difficult time at the simple task of not being an idiot. Not sure why. It's really very easy not to text while driving, or while walking, since that was brought up.
FNG
quote:

quote:
What amazes me is the tolerance and indeed encouragement here for reckless and dangerous behavior. I hope nobody here ever has to bury a friend or family member because some idiot thought sending or replying to a text was more important than being aware of your surroundings while driving.
Well said, FlyRod.

Strict, consistent, & daily enforcement will be necessary, and we should demand and expect it from city government.

We can't get them to enforce the "don't run a red light" law at Texas and Harvey, and they could write 100 tickets per day there.

Maybe we aren't "demanding" loud enough.
Oogway
Sometimes people change their behavior when the consequence for not changing it is worse. It can also depend upon how quickly they learn that lesson.

I agree with the person above regarding observing others while slightly removed from the situation. Gives one pause...
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
I've been rear ended twice by people on cell phones. What amazes me is the tolerance and indeed encouragement here for reckless and dangerous behavior. I hope nobody here ever has to bury a friend or family member because some idiot thought sending or replying to a text was more important than being aware of your surroundings while driving.

I didn't say anything that suggests I don't think distracted driving isn't a problem or that it should be tolerated. I said the laws aren't going to work any better than the million other laws that have been passed to control behavior. I generally like government to stick to things they are good at which isn't much and behavior control isn't on the list. Knowing this will fail and thinking there isn't a problem aren't the same thing.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

I didn't say anything that suggests I don't think distracted driving isn't a problem or that it should be tolerated. I said the laws aren't going to work any better than the million other laws that have been passed to control behavior. I generally like government to stick to things they are good at which isn't much and behavior control isn't on the list. Knowing this will fail and thinking there isn't a problem aren't the same thing.
FlyRod
So for those of you who acknowledge there is a problem but don't believe laws are the answer, I'll sit back and wait for your proposed solutions to said problem.

Unless of course you don't actually believe there's a problem.
redd38
AG
quote:
So for those of you who acknowledge there is a problem but don't believe laws are the answer, I'll sit back and wait for your proposed solutions to said problem.

Unless of course you don't actually believe there's a problem.

Enforce current laws.
techno-ag
FlyRod
BCStalk
What did people do before the modern cell phone? I can't believe this is even a discussion. Most people can't drive as it is. They don't need to be on the dang phone.
FlyRod
BlazeHarper
Before the modern cell phone people simply did whatever it is they were doing without talking to someone on an electronic device about their largely insignificant lives. I have thought a good bit about why people text, or have to talk on the phone. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, I think in the end we simply do not like or even want to consider the thought of being alone. With the acceptance and continued use of various devices, and behaviors that keep people "connected" the thought of not being connected, and the actual reality of not being connected makes many people uncomfortable. I think Blaise Pascal had us figured out when he commented on it in the 1600's

"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.