CS ordinance banning cell phone use while driving

39,819 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Clo004
AgGunNut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Post removed:
by user
UmustBKidding
Dude they are coming for you!
UmustBKidding
Enterprise funds should remain in the enterprise and the tax rate should be adjusted to reflect the funding needs for the activities. So recently the council decided the way to address the disparity in police wages is to grab funds from utilities. Basically what this did is charge the older areas of college station that have CSU services for the increased need for police services driven manly by expansion into areas that have been annexed. If I was a CSU customer I would be livid. The council always tries to avoid tax increases that could lead to roll back, so they for sure don't want to lower utility rates to be competitive because it would mean the tax increase would have be high enough that rollback is possible. So we basically have people consuming services on the payments of other residents (like me). But I also suspect that lots of COCS wonderful services would be less wonderful if people understood there real cost in their tax bill vs the fact that their electricity cost $0.13 vs $0.8 or less elsewhere.

Coach Dub
Something me & the Rib were talking about on the way back into town after watching the grandson's football game- why would cops need to be exempted from the cell phone ban any more than an Uber driver? Doesn't CSPD still use radios to communicate? If so, why the special treatment for cops driving while using cell phones (if you don't count the fact they wrote the ordinance)?
dubi
AG
quote:
Something me & the Rib were talking about on the way back into town after watching the grandson's football game- why would cops need to be exempted from the cell phone ban any more than an Uber driver? Doesn't CSPD still use radios to communicate? If so, why the special treatment for cops driving while using cell phones (if you don't count the fact they wrote the ordinance)?
Maybe they need to communicate sensitive items they don't want broadcast on the radio?
Rexter
quote:
quote:
Maybe they need to communicate sensitive items they don't want broadcast on the radio?

Do as I say, not as I do...
AggieJason
AG
quote:
quote:
It's something like that. Their radios are for urgent comms; they use cell phones to coordinate details of lesser-urgent matters.

Doesn't mean it should be allowed, though, IMHO.
techno-ag
AG
Some animals are more equal than others in Kollege Station, comrade.
FlyRod
FNG
quote:
quote:
quote:
It's something like that. Their radios are for urgent comms; they use cell phones to coordinate details of lesser-urgent matters.

Cell phones are not just for less urgent matters. They absolutely use those to communicate things that they don't need shared over a channel that may be picked up on a police scanner.
w8liftr
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cell phones are not just for less urgent matters. They absolutely use those to communicate things that they don't need shared over a channel that may be picked up on a police scanner.

I have some urgent things I may need to share via cell phone when I'm traveling. As was said previously, whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Am I a lesser citizen since I have fewer rights than those who wrote the ordinance? Isn't there something in the Constitution about equal protection under the law?
BCStalk
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think you left personal calls off the list.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have some urgent things I may need to share via cell phone when I'm traveling. As was said previously, whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Am I a lesser citizen since I have fewer rights than those who wrote the ordinance? Isn't there something in the Constitution about equal protection under the law?
Maybe I missed it, but where is the right to talk on a cell phone while driving enumerated in the Constitution? Driving is a privilege. The state can regulate it as it sees fit. Those that don't agree with the state's actions can work to repeal them (red light cameras) or move somewhere else.

Not saying I agree with this ordinance (I don't), but it's well within the power of the state to enact and enforce it.
w8liftr
Equal protection under the law??
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe I missed it, but where is the right to talk on a cell phone while driving enumerated in the Constitution? Driving is a privilege. The state can regulate it as it sees fit. Those that don't agree with the state's actions can work to repeal them (red light cameras) or move somewhere else.

Not saying I agree with this ordinance (I don't), but it's well within the power of the state to enact and enforce it.
This isn't the state. It's just Kollege Station.
FlyRod
Kute knicknames.
veritas47
Will smart watch use while driving be banned in CS as well?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Will smart watch use while driving be banned in CS as well?
No kidding. Modern cars can provide navigation & read your emails as well.
Frio Cielo
I don't see how they will be able to enforce a no texting law.

When I am talking on my cell phone my phone is at my ear and the police can see my arm and hand at my ear, but most people when texting don't hold their phones up head high. What they do is text in their lap or at the bottom of the steering wheel and the police won't see the phone.

Just because you are looking down doesn't necessarily mean you are texting or even using your phone. You may be reading a book, watching a movie on an Ipad, looking down at your burger to grab to eat, etc, etc. etc. None of which is illegal in itself.

I just don't see how they will determine a person is texting or even using a phone for a mapping app or whatever.

If stopped, will they be able to ask for your phone and check the times of day that you texted? If you are in a fender-bender, will the police be able to look at your phone? Can the confiscate your phone as possible evidence?

FlyRod
Well, come November we'll be able to see just how they enforce it. I look forward to the epic threads to come...
techno-ag
AG
quote:

When I am talking on my cell phone my phone is at my ear and the police can see my arm and hand at my ear, but most people when texting don't hold their phones up head high. What they do is text in their lap or at the bottom of the steering wheel and the police won't see the phone.

Just because you are looking down doesn't necessarily mean you are texting or even using your phone. You may be reading a book, watching a movie on an Ipad, looking down at your burger to grab to eat, etc, etc. etc. None of which is illegal in itself.

I just don't see how they will determine a person is texting or even using a phone for a mapping app or whatever.

If stopped, will they be able to ask for your phone and check the times of day that you texted? If you are in a fender-bender, will the police be able to look at your phone? Can the confiscate your phone as possible evidence?

Great points. I saw something on the news about a guy holding to his ear a block of wood painted black. Cops kept pulling him over only to let him go when he showed them it was not a cell phone. Such a useless law.
FlyRod
T&P for the wallets of those pulled over for pranking LEOs...
techno-ag
AG
quote:
On the news, they showed the guy getting released by the LEO since he had broken no laws. His wallet was just fine. The LEO's time & energy, however, could have been better spent.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
On the news, they showed the guy getting released by the LEO since he had broken no laws. His wallet was just fine. The LEO's time & energy, however, could have been better spent.
The only job of motorcycle cops is essentially to give tickets for traffic/moving violations. Can't really waste it more than that.
fcag
AG
quote:
quote:

Great points. I saw something on the news about a guy holding to his ear a block of wood painted black. Cops kept pulling him over only to let him go when he showed them it was not a cell phone. Such a useless law.

A few years ago a comedian in California did something similar with an iPhone shaped cookie. He at the cookie when he was pulled over and thought he had pulled a fast one on the officer. Bad news for him was he had warrants for unpaid tickets and the officer arrested him for that.
Frio Cielo
Some student organization at A&M should have a fund raiser and for a $5 contribution you get a free black 3 x 4 inch wooden door stop that students can use at their home or dorm and also for any other use they might think of.
FlyRod
Trying to think up a ban-free betting pool on which poster will be the first to get pulled over and fined...
Science Denier
AG
quote:
Trying to think up a ban-free betting pool on which poster will be the first to get pulled over and fined...

They probably will mainly give,the tickets to students.
texasaggie04
AG

quote:

While I completely agree with this statement, this is exactly why I can't wait for Google to hurry the hell up with the self-driving cars.
slyk
You may think you will not get caught merely by putting your cell phone down in your lap while in use when you see a LEO. I GUARANTEE what they will do to catch you is to have plain clothes officers ride around in high rise unmarked vehicles peering down into and watching for law breakers and then radio ahead to awaiting officer ahead.
LEO in Austin do this and they also ride around town on public transportation buses doing this very thing.
redd38
AG
I hear that a cop rear ended someone on University today. We should pass a law making it illegal for them to use all their gadgets while driving.
AgGunNut
AG
CSPD doesn't have the staffing to do anything like that.
Oogway
quote:
I hear that a cop rear ended someone on University today. We should pass a law making it illegal for them to use all their gadgets while driving.
Are you being serious? It is difficult to read tone in text sometimes....

While oft held to a higher standard, do you think the police are not allowed to make mistakes or get in accidents? Were you a witness and saw what happened? Unfortunately people get in accidents and sometimes it is difficult to avoid them. I hope everyone was okay.

Everyone be safe out there!
redd38
AG
quote:
quote:
Are you being serious? It is difficult to read tone in text sometimes....

While oft held to a higher standard, do you think the police are not allowed to make mistakes or get in accidents? Were you a witness and saw what happened? Unfortunately people get in accidents and sometimes it is difficult to avoid them. I hope everyone was okay.

Everyone be safe out there!
Cops are held to a lower standard, otherwise they'd have to follow the same laws as us or stricter laws even. In fact, who's holding cops to ANY standard?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.