CS ordinance banning cell phone use while driving

39,824 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Clo004
ksp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
More laws the better. We need them.
AC Hopper
S
Some people (actually, more & more people) just don't like following rules.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
AC Hopper said:

Some people (actually, more & more people) just don't like following rules.

Yeah! Pick up that can, citizen!
AC Hopper
S
Squirrels ... this town is full of them!
BaitShack
AG
Nealthedestroyer said:

Yeah! Pick up that can, citizen!

Scary, half life 2 was the first thing to come to mind.
atm86
AG
I don't mount it on my dashboard, my console has room for it. And it talks to me. So this may well be an issue for defense.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

Still waiting for all those studies.
Why cant old people google? This information isnt hard to find. If you want to argue for more laws to raise taxes, do it: don't ask everyone around you ignore reality . Here is what literally 1 google churned up. I guess CS city council couldnt be bothered to ask jeeves.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123084040

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/cellphone-bans-may-not-prevent-accidents/?_r=0

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4001674/

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/08/why-cell-phone-bans-dont-work

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/23/cellphone-bans-dont-reduce-accidents-study/

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/07/25/study-law-banning-cell-phones-while-driving-doesnt-reduce-accident-rate/

https://thejournal.com/articles/2014/10/20/are-cell-phone-bans-worth-the-trouble.aspx

All the data says yes, texting and driving is dangerous, and no, cell phone bans dont change behavior.
isitjustme
AG
Or maybe they did the google search, know all of this, and see the ban as a pretty awesome revenue generator.
redd38
AG
There's already an endless supply of red light runners to generate revenue.
91_Aggie
AG
redd38 said:

This one is easier. And they can get red light runners as well.

Again, all they have to do is have a guy stand right past an intersection, preferably one with a big parking lot right past it

He can watch everyone come through the intersection and wave about 85% of them into the parking lot where another cop prints out citations one after another for each person directed into the lot.

They will literally be printing money.

Frio Cielo
91_Aggie said:

redd38 said:

Again, all they have to do is have a guy stand right past an intersection, preferably one with a big parking lot right past it

He can watch everyone come through the intersection and wave about 85% of them into the parking lot where another cop prints out citations one after another for each person directed into the lot.

No, what's going to happen is people will hold their cellphones lower and lower in their lap below the window level so someone looking at them from a distance from the side will not be able to see the phone. This will make people mover their eyes further from a view of the street in front of them taking a little more time to look back and forth from the phone to the street and back.

If everyone who gets a ticket for cell phone use will go to court and plead innocent, it will further clog up the court system.

The cell phone ticket is as low as $25 and a red light run or not stopping at a stop sign is about $200, so the city will have to work hard to generate the same revenue with cell phone violations rather than many other moving violations.
Frio Cielo
Frio Cielo said:

91_Aggie said:

redd38 said:

No, what's going to happen is people will hold their cellphones lower and lower in their lap below the window level so someone looking at them from a distance from the side will not be able to see the phone. This will make people mover their eyes further from a view of the street in front of them taking a little more time to look back and forth from the phone to the street and back.

Just because a person is looking down doesn't mean they are on their cell phone. They may be reading a book or eat a Whataburger.

If everyone who gets a ticket for cell phone use will go to court and plead innocent, it will further clog up the court system.

The cell phone ticket is as low as $25 and a red light run or not stopping at a stop sign is about $200, so the city will have to work hard to generate the same revenue with cell phone violations rather than many other moving violations.
techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

I hope not. There are already laws on the books which penalize distracted driving.

We don't need a subcategory for cellphones or radio tuning or eating or applying make-up or reading or dropping something and trying to pick it up or day dreaming or etc.
If you don't like a citizen's behavior, comrade, just pass a law to make them conform.
91_Aggie
AG
Frio Cielo said:

91_Aggie said:

redd38 said:

You are wrong. They won't be holding it lower because they are idiots. They are going to forget. And with a cop Standing next to the road only the people in 4x4 trucks aren't going to be seen.

Again, I run on sidewalks next to the road. As I pass.intersections I seen 85% of the people looking down at their cell phones. And I can easily see their laps. They can't hide it if they have a cop standing there.
redd38
AG
Lol, good luck to a cop on a sidewalk trying to pull me over. I hope he can run fast.
isitjustme
AG
Lol. Have fun trying to outrun the radio. So not worth the risk for a traffic citation.
chiwowwow
Hey redd38, why don't you just stay off your phone and not endanger other people's lives because you
feel like it? You are probably one of the many I have encountered lately face timing while driving. Yes, I said "face timing"! Maybe you are even one of the morons that don't know how to move over to let people enter the highway.
I just hope thy don't do away with the ban when all the redd38's start whining about them having to pay a fine for breaking the law!

rhoswen
AG
It's like the rookie didn't even read the thread.
redd38
AG
Face timing?!? Why didn't I think of that? I'm definitely going to do that from now on. Thanks for the suggestion.
OnlyANobody
Quote:

"....even one of the morons that don't know how to move over to let people enter the highway..."
Wow. I do this when I can, because I try to be considerate. But in case you don't know this, people entering the highway are the ones who are obligated to yield; meaning speed up or slow down to match the speed of traffic, not threaten to broadside me if I don't slam on my brakes and yield to you.
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

You are wrong. They won't be holding it lower because they are idiots. They are going to forget.
Well, will they even know? How are folks supposed to know? Has there been an education campaign that was said in the article to happen?

The reason I keep asking is that I don't live in the CS area. My kids do and they've heard nothing. But, they are not exactly tuned into local news.

If the education is key part of the article is pure BS, then you can bet the stated part of the goal not being to write a bunch of tickets is also BS.
techno-ag
AG
jblaschke said:

Quote:

You are wrong. They won't be holding it lower because they are idiots. They are going to forget.
Well, will they even know? How are folks supposed to know? Has there been an education campaign that was said in the article to happen?

The reason I keep asking is that I don't live in the CS area. My kids do and they've heard nothing. But, they are not exactly tuned into local news.

If the education is key part of the article is pure BS, then you can bet the stated part of the goal not being to write a bunch of tickets is also BS.
Agreed. Saw the same arguments about the red light cameras fiasco.
Oogway
If the ultimate goal is to change the behavior, (paying attention to the phone instead of the driving) I am not convinced this is the biggest or even the correct 'stick' with which to do it. Unfortunately, I have no solutions.
No way I would convict without hard evidence provided by the cellular service provider to prove that the device was being used prior to the traffic stop.

Is the city going to go through the trouble of issuing search warrants for all of these tickets? Are they going to forensically examine the violators' phones?
CrazyAgE
Didn't read the whole thread, but what were the thoughts that it will apparently be ok for cops to handle all of the crap that they do on a daily basis. I understand that it is part of their job, but you can't tell me that they are "trained" to handle all of these items while driving down the road that much better than all of us. I just don't buy it. But again, maybe I missed something...
FlyRod
Anyone been pulled over yet?
SMR
FNG
Campus is state property. Probably not required but is a good idea.
Mr. Griswold
I would think so since much of campus is located within the city limits of College Station. Then again, FNG makes a good point. Good question, maybe the powers that be will chime in.
Clo004
Since it applies to the city of college station yes it is a valid ban on campus. Though UPD are not able to right tickets for a city ordinance violation so other than the main road that cut through campus i.e. Wellborn and GB there will not be any enforcement.
CS78
UPD has said it does not apply to campus.
Frio Cielo
If you don't agree with any ticket, demand a jury trial. four or five hundred more jury trials a month will really tie up the court system.
AggiePhil
AG
I believe court costs are covered by the defendant unless he/she is found not guilty.
Science Denier
AG
Has anyone here been either ticketed or "warned" about this?

Just curious.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
jblaschke said:

Has anyone here been either ticketed or "warned" about this?

Just curious.

I have not but ive cut my phone usage down quite a bit while driving. This is just a personal view of my own behavior. I've also noticed a lot more of my calls to others going to VM locally.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.