Outdoors
Sponsored by

Starlink Mini

22,587 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by AggieGunslinger
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I ordered mine from Starlink

I'll contact them directly
BQ92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fullback44 said:

I want to get a starlink mini, I went to Best Buy this weekend and they said they can't order the Minis right now and that I may need to order directly from Starlink? Where are y'all getting your Minis? I have the regular starlink now as well, don't need the regular one.


Home Depot has them

Also, I found https://veritasvans.com/starlink to be really good mounts (just get the handle option). you can get the dish from them too.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I ordered from starlink directly. I also got this vehicle magnetic rooftop mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0G2H3QJQW and this case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0FL1S436K and it all fits really well in a nice compact easy to transport and stow bundle.
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ordered the Mini direct from Starlink last night online, shipped today, arriving tomorrow. That's pretty fast
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fullback44 said:

Ordered the Mini direct from Starlink last night online, shipped today, arriving tomorrow. That's pretty fast

Coming from Bastrop or Hawthorn?
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FedEx showed it arriving in Fort Worth earlier today - that's all it said so far
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fullback44 said:

FedEx showed it arriving in Fort Worth earlier today - that's all it said so far

No worries, I was just curious. I believe they still do assembly at both locations, but when I ordered mine in January, they sent it to me from Hawthorn even though I live in Bastrop about 2 miles as the crow flies from where they are assembled.
Aggie Pharmer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just ordered a Starlink Mini from Sam's (store pick up) and a EcoFlow Trail 300 DC from Amazon. Going to use it this weekend to stream my daughter's softball games on GameChanger. If it ends up working well, plan on putting a camera in the outfield to catch a "behind the pitcher" view.
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
  • Finally setup the new Starlink Mini up here in College Station in the RV for the game weekend, working really well. I have the regular Starlink as well at home, I honestly can't tell the difference between the two, they both work great. Can't go wrong with either, that mini built in router/dish combo seems to be working well.
AgFutureman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a similar setup with the Apache case. What have you guys used to attach the 3D printed rails that hold the Starlink in the lid to the case?
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3M Spray
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Upload speeds arent great with starlink, live video can have some serious lag.
Aggie Pharmer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Upload speeds arent great with starlink, live video can have some serious lag.

Ah, OK. I got a chance to test it out on Sunday. Honestly, it wasn't bad and took a load off of my phone. I'm thinking about running through my iPad next time just so i can have my phone free and not worry if i switch between apps that the stream will pause. I did notice a couple of times that there was a slow internet warning that popped up on my mevo app, but it happened only a couple of times, whereas last weekend streaming through my phone it seemed to pop up more frequently.

Nevertheless, I kind of got the feeling it worked well and it was a breeze to set up.
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

AggieGunslinger said:

Upload speeds arent great with starlink, live video can have some serious lag.

Ah, OK. I got a chance to test it out on Sunday. Honestly, it wasn't bad and took a load off of my phone. I'm thinking about running through my iPad next time just so i can have my phone free and not worry if i switch between apps that the stream will pause. I did notice a couple of times that there was a slow internet warning that popped up on my mevo app, but it happened only a couple of times, whereas last weekend streaming through my phone it seemed to pop up more frequently.

Nevertheless, I kind of got the feeling it worked well and it was a breeze to set up.

That was my setup. Ran it all through the Mevo app on my Android tablet. It isn't bad, but a dedicated 5g travel modem with a SIM card would be better, though much more costly than the $25/month I pay for 100gigs of data.

I have also read that if you use Mevo Multi-view to run multiple cameras, you need a laptop to run the software and a better router than the mini's internal router.

But I never got that into it, and now the that my son is in high school, his games are broadcast by the school.
Aggie Pharmer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Aggie Pharmer said:

AggieGunslinger said:

Upload speeds arent great with starlink, live video can have some serious lag.

Ah, OK. I got a chance to test it out on Sunday. Honestly, it wasn't bad and took a load off of my phone. I'm thinking about running through my iPad next time just so i can have my phone free and not worry if i switch between apps that the stream will pause. I did notice a couple of times that there was a slow internet warning that popped up on my mevo app, but it happened only a couple of times, whereas last weekend streaming through my phone it seemed to pop up more frequently.

Nevertheless, I kind of got the feeling it worked well and it was a breeze to set up.

That was my setup. Ran it all through the Mevo app on my Android tablet. It isn't bad, but a dedicated 5g travel modem with a SIM card would be better, though much more costly than the $25/month I pay for 100gigs of data.

I have also read that if you use Mevo Multi-view to run multiple cameras, you need a laptop to run the software and a better router than the mini's internal router.

That's interesting. I have had it in my mind that I'd like to try multi-views, so I'm going to have to read up more on that. I'll have to read up on the internal router too. I was thinking if I had the mevo in the outfield, a second camera behind the plate, and the starlink about even with 1st/3rd base that the 2.4 channel would reach everything it needed to reach. Guess I'll have to do some real-world testing to see...

Thanks for the input!
TX_COWDOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How's does the mini connect to devices? Wi-Fi? I ask because I see several sold with a router. Is the router necessary?
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The mini has a built in router to the antenna. Plug into a power source and it is ready to go.

I am sure if you combined the mini with an external router, the capacity and distance from the antenna/router would be significantly improved. I don't have personal experience with that though...

I know the mini as is will work from about 30-40 yards away with no obstructions. I normally place it about 20 yards from a deer blind and it still works through the walls.
kyledr04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The extender helps alot if the dish is outside. I run a cable from the dish thru a window or door. Indoor signal is much better.
TX_COWDOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought the mini for roam usage. Of course I have to supply a service address even though it won't ever be used there. During the activation attempts since 10am this morning, none of 5 addresses are being accepted. So frustrating to not be able to get this working. Of course, getting an actual human to talk to is impossible. I've tried 5 addresses, the Google Maps codes, etc. No dice. Thanks for letting me vent.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got to talk to someone by starting a ticket on the app and stating I needed to talk through the difficulties with a live person. Got a call back that day.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.