Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trump Shot at PA rally

24,996 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ATX_AG_08
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mhnatt said:

How 'bout a reprieve with "OB knows stuff". My best guess:

-AR-10 .308
-Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 50
-Steiner DBAL-I2
-INNOREL RT90CM Tripod

Where do you see the AR-10 in that photo?
CivilEng08
It's that black one that looks scary, but also bigger than an AR15
mhnatt
Holy baloney, I'm brain dead. Yep, I wasn't thinking. My armchairing at work!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah those are bolt gun.

I've been wondering about the tripods more than anything else. I bet those are over a grand.
agsalaska
agsalaska
AG
Yea I have no idea that kind of rifle that is other than it is bolt action and looks like a long action cartridge. But that's way past my paygrade.

I bet it would be fun to shoot though.
bam02
AG
Looks like it!

https://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/
mhnatt
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Yeah those are bolt gun.

I've been wondering about the tripods more than anything else. I bet those are over a grand.

If they are the INNORELs, I have a couple and like them. $350 on Amazon.

https://a.co/d/b2YTwtW
BenderRodriguez
AG
Those are Really Right Stuff tripods. Says so on the little hammock below on the legs.

Some sort of 700 action in an AICS chassis.

Nightforce scopes for sure, not sure what magnification.

And thats not a dbal, its a laser range finder mounted on top.
Eliminatus
AG
mhnatt said:

-.308 (correction - not an AR10 platform duh)
-Steiner DBAL-I2
-INNOREL RT90CM Tripod

R700 customs in AXMC chassis chambered in 300WM topped with NF ATACR with a MARS rangefinder mounted.

These builds are public knowledge and have been a fun point of conversation in the ULR community for years now.
P.U.T.U
AG
.308 is not a common round with common snipers these days, lots better options like .300WM or .338 lapua. I am seeing more LEOs use 6.5 creedmoor over .308s these days
BSD
AG
Eliminatus
AG
This is a tough one to think about for me because of the implications.

Look, I was no SF cool guy nor a secret squirrel. Just a nobody line grunt that was likable and a smidge smarter than his peers so was maybe afforded a few extra classes and responsibilities that most don't get. Absolutely nothing special.

As the resident nobody, I still took part, planned, and was in charge of many security cordons in an active AO infested with snipers. It was so bad, I ended up becoming a squad RO because every single one we deployed with in my platoon was KIA by snipers except for one WIA who would never be able to walk again. I have lain on rooftoops looking at other rooftoops for several days at the least when the time is added up. Even got hit myself towards the end (armor stopped). So let's just say I had a vested interest to be motivated and attentive in my work. But, at the end, still just a basic ass dude with no high speed training nor expectations of such but who worked countersniper as my life depended on it. I am sad to say that I was never proactively successful btw.

So when I look at Google Maps with the sight lines and distances overlaid, I am floored, absolutely floored, that that roof was not actively and consistently covered. If the super soldiers on social media won't convince you, even the resident nobody who failed to stop a sniper more than once still KNOWS that area should have been covered. That should lend it own weight in its own way I think and the point of this post. That shooter should never have been allowed onto that roof, much less into a firing position. Period. I have tried to convince myself of ways aside from the most gross incompetence I may have ever seen in a professional body.....to the assertion it was allowed. And I can't.

This is such a systemic failure that it legitimately worries me moving forward. And I don't worry.

ETA: Oops. Was meant for main F16 thread. Disregard. I'll leave it I guess for continuing conversation
agsalaska
AG
Man if you are a nobody I am worse than that. I never served a day in the military and I still get really nervous when I have a deer in my crosshairs(though I have been robbed at gunpoint and shot in the leg by a shotgun). And I can 100% guarantee you that if I was in charge of security I would have covered that roof with a sniper. That, to your point, wasn't rocket science.

I always figured if something like this happened it would be by a 700 yard shot. Not 130.

I said this on another thread, but to me this is all just another sign of our society just breaking down. Nothing is as good as it used to be.

We can't host a soccer game anymore without thousands of fans storming the gates.
We can't play a golf tournament anymore without protestors harassing the players
All of the border towns in the South are no goes now.
Delays and travel issues with airlines have become the norm.
Random shortages at the grocery store still happen and happen often.
We won't even acknowledge the drug issues. Everywhere. In every circle and every neighborhood.
We have not had a national election free of fraud accusations in over a decade.
Cops are grossly incompetent
Schools are failing

It is no surprise to me that the third team USSS team failed to cover a building. I would guess if they gave an honest critic of themselves the opportunities present themselves all of the time. This time all the bad things fell into place.

aggiepublius
AG
Anyone know how many other events Trump had that day? Curious because I know leap frogging details from the event to event means bringing in agents who would not normally be on details into play.
Deerdude
Tin hat a little tight today, but part of me is convinced that it was not a failure to their goals, just a shooter that pulled his shot.
Deerdude
Yea well I would think that someone yelling gun at any candidate function would be akin to yelling fire in the theater. Fact that action was not taken baffles me.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
mhnatt said:

-.308 (correction - not an AR10 platform duh)
-Steiner DBAL-I2
-INNOREL RT90CM Tripod

From What i can see:
Accuracy International Rifle- Probably a Rem700 clone with Accuracy International Chassis.
Nightforce Atracr- the emblem is the ATACR Color
Wilcox Raptar or MARS
Tripod is for sure Really Right Stuff Soar.

Probably 300WM could be 338 Lapua but I doubt it.
maddiedou
AG
I saw a picture of the layout of snipers and where shooter was and TRUMP stage

Why was there nobody in the water tower also
maddiedou
BSD
AG
Yep. It's RRS Soar. They put it on their Instagram yesterday and got hammered for it because idiots relate the gear to the planning.
Naveronski
AG
maddiedou said:

I saw a picture of the layout of snipers and where shooter was and TRUMP stage

Why was there nobody in the water tower also
Wouldn't be able to see much from in the water tower, also it's wet.
maddiedou
AG
Well maybe before your time but when I was growing up you could climb the water towers and walk around them

And from the picture looked like an older water tower not like the ones they build now
maddiedou
mhnatt
Just shows how folks like Tikka have a different point of view.

Deerdude
That SS is now saying that the shooters vantage point was outside their perimeter is inexcusable. That 140 yards is outside SS secure zone is insane. I don't remember my outrage about a 5'6" person that happened to be blonde and female,( used as descriptors), to shield a 6'5" person, so as not to bruise the ego of some of us, remains a mystery.

The fact that the attempt was a head shot, which coincidentally a 5'6" person can not adequately secure on a 6'5" person I guess is no concern .

I suppose her arm could fragment a bullet that could somehow heave him less dead, but don't see it.
CactusThomas
AG
lol at this radical feminist outdoors board arguing about the height of this female in regards to whether or not she's capable of performing her job.

Just continue to ignore the obvious fact that our society is sick to use women as human shields.
Gunny456
AG
Just about every law enforcement agency….. county, city, DPS, Game Warden etc etc have multiple job openings. Great opportunity for anybody that wants to go do it better and make a difference….
ghollow
AG
I have worked in and around LEO's most of my professional career. I know a lot of great cops both men and women.

The problem right now is that no one, male or female, is applying to be cops. The last city I worked for in Texas pays rookies $75k+ a $10k bonus once they become a certified peace officer plus pay for the training. No one is applying. This is one of the safest cities in America.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

The problem right now is that no one, male or female, is applying to be cops. The last city I worked for in Texas pays rookies $75k+ a $10k bonus once they become a certified peace officer plus pay for the training. No one is applying. This is one of the safest cities in America.

Stats, if you believe them, say otherwise in aggregate. I don't think this rules out anything that has been said here and Dallas for sure is still struggling to meet recruitment goals. DPD was not ruined by COVID or litigation but the idiots running the Police and Fire pension. There was a huge flush in experienced officers in the mid teens when there benefits got cut.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-officer-hiring-us-increases-2023-years-decline-survey-shows-rcna149749

Quote:

More sworn officers were hired in 2023 than in any one of the previous four years, and fewer officers overall resigned or retired, according to the 214 law enforcement agencies that responded to a survey by the Police Executive Research Forum, or PERF.

The survey shows that while small and medium departments had more sworn officers than they did in January 2020, large departments are still more than 5% below their staffing levels from that time, even with a year-over-year increase from 2022 to 2023.

schmellba99
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Quote:

No

It shows
No, it doesn't.

I have daughters. Doesn't mean that I think they are physically suited for any and all professions out there.

There is a reason men and women are physically different. There is a reason NFL linemen are 6'-4" and 325 lbs and defensive backs are 6'-1" and 190 lbs. Not a hard concept. Well, for most people anyway. Apparently it is for you.
agsalaska
AG
I think this was brought up earlier, but how did our society sink so low that we are sending our women to act as bullet shields for men.

That's maybe the most unsettling thing about this entire ordeal.
Jbob04
AG
That's what women and liberals want. Years of bs feminism and crying about gender wage gap. That is no place for a woman to be.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Because progress bro. We're at a point in this country where we make bad decisions that could get people killed because we want to appear virtuous. We do things that make zero sense to make certain groups of ppl feel better. And we're doing it with pilots, doctors, lawyers, and now secret service. Hell we can't even say men competing against women in sports is dangerous because it might hurt .01 percent of the populations feelings. Real life idiocracy.

Being in shape used to be a basic qualification for the secret service. That chick is 5'4" and obese, and can't even holster her weapon.
TikkaShooter
Are you saying you don't want females in any society protective role?

Police
Military
BP
Rangers
GW

Etc
ATX_AG_08
AG
No, if you were on a mission in Afghanistan and your life depended on it would you rather have a team full of women or men?

The answer is men, obviously. Which is why they have to lower the standard for women in everything you just listed. We used to be a merit based society, and it worked.

If your house was on fire and you needed someone to carry your kids out would you want a man or a women firefighter?

This has been the standard for thousands of years and once considered common sense. But we're past common sense now. Men can be women. Men can have kids.
Jbob04
AG
Those jobs are no place for women. Men and women are wired and built differently for a reason.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.