Outdoors
Sponsored by

Getting Into Fly Fishing

7,064 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by AgRyan04
ned911
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just booked a lesson with Austin!!
FTA Class of 1988
Bird78
AG
I still have a few author's copy of my book Texas Saltwater Classics: 50 Patterns for the Texas Coast for sale if you want to start tying your own flies. Happy to autograph it for you!

AgRyan04
dr_boogs said:

Regarding Santa Fe, high desert anglers and the reel life are the 2 fly shops in town. Have been in both many times, never fished w guides from either. Based on the vibe…. I'd try high desert for a guided trip before the reel life. But they both may be just fine.

Thanks for the tip....I'm working on getting that booked today!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AustinCountyAg
I hope I dont offend the OP, but to piggyback this thread does anyone have a rec for a fly rod/reel combo that would be used as a general purpose mainly for tanks in TX? Think bass, perch, etc.....My dad got me into fishing early in life but it was mainly saltwater. However, at one time 20+ years ago, he got into fly fishing some down at the coast. I never tied up with a trout or red, but I would take the fly rod and use it in our tank at the house catching bass and brim which was always fun. This thread has my interest peaked again now and wouldn't mind getting something again that I could share with my 6 year old when he gets older who loves to fish.
aggiesherpa
AG
A 5 or 6 weight would be the best size. Brand wise the orvis encounter combo is one that I have and would recommend, I would also look at a TFO combo. If you do get a combo, definitely consider putting a better fly line on it. I just put on an orvis bank shot fly line and it has made a big difference for me.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I hope I dont offend the OP, but to piggyback this thread does anyone have a rec for a fly rod/reel combo that would be used as a general purpose mainly for tanks in TX? Think bass, perch, etc.....My dad got me into fishing early in life but it was mainly saltwater. However, at one time 20+ years ago, he got into fly fishing some down at the coast. I never tied up with a trout or red, but I would take the fly rod and use it in our tank at the house catching bass and brim which was always fun. This thread has my interest peaked again now and wouldn't mind getting something again that I could share with my 6 year old when he gets older who loves to fish.

There are a bunch of 5wt combos out there. The TFO one is good. Mine is the Redington combo. It does just fine. I will upgrade at some point, but not yet.
Bird78
AG
I was the Fly Fishing Editor for three different publications and I had the good fortune to learn from la lot of smart folks. The mistake many people make when selecting a rod/reelcpmbo is thinking they need heavier tackle than necessary. In fly fishing, you cast a weighted line, which in turn pulls a virtually weightless fly behind it. Conventional tackle is just the oposite: you cast a weighted lure, which in turn pulls a virtually weightless line behind it (This tutorial was provided to me by Lefty Kreh). Heavier tackle is often needed to cast into gusting breezes, or to cast large, wind resistant flies. I routinely catch redfish on a 6-weight rod. Granted, I don't fly fish when the winds are pumping. I would recommend a five-weight for general pond duty, as the rod is easy to cast for young and old alike, it has enough backbone to land bream and bass, and can deliver small to moderate size flies. If you want to cast jumbo hair frogs, a five-weight is probably not your best option. Antoher benefit of a five-weight is that they are easier to learn to cast with. Good luck!
dr_boogs
AG
Sorry I may be dense here, are you saying you're the author? If so, heck yeah I'll take an autographed copy! PM me with details on price and shipping!
Al Bula
AG
Bird78 said:

I still have a few author's copy of my book Texas Saltwater Classics: 50 Patterns for the Texas Coast for sale if you want to start tying your own flies. Happy to autograph it for you!

Hey Bird78, I'd love to purchase your book if you have some left over. How may I contact you?
AgFlyGuy
AG
Agree with others here except I'd steer towards the 6 vs a 5. I think it's also flexible for some sal****er as well as tanks/bass. I keep a TFO Axiom 2X 7wt in my truck for the "just in case" moments. I use it for a lot of different styles of fishing. I'd recommend trying one first before you buy if able. I like a faster rod but others do not.
Bird78
AG
Howdy Al. I still have a few authors copy's of Texas Saltwater Classics left and also Texas Kayak. Send me a PM and I will send details. Thanks & Gig'em!
Al Bula
AG
Unfortunately I am no longer a paid member here and can't pm. Can you post an email I can contact you at?
Bird78
AG
No worries. Please use info@encoretackle.com
AggieDruggist89
AG
I quit fly fishing in 1992.

Soon after the release of River runs through it.

Every Joe Blow midlife crisis ridden fishing aficionados went out and bought a fedora hat, $10,000 worth of flyfishing equipment and took over CA trout streams thinking they're Brad Pitt.

Instead I equipped my spin rig with a clear bubble and flies to mock those who were in the river with obnoxious arm conducting motion getting their line tangled....

I just drift a fly using a spin cast.. works well.

AgRyan04
So you're cheating?
87Flyfisher
AG
Bird78 said:

I still have a few author's copy of my book Texas Sal****er Classics: 50 Patterns for the Texas Coast for sale if you want to start tying your own flies. Happy to autograph it for you!

Some really talented fly tiers have patterns featured in that book.
TresPuertas
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I quit fly fishing in 1992.

Soon after the release of River runs through it.

Every Joe Blow midlife crisis ridden fishing aficionados went out and bought a fedora hat, $10,000 worth of flyfishing equipment and took over CA trout streams thinking they're Brad Pitt.

Instead I equipped my spin rig with a clear bubble and flies to mock those who were in the river with obnoxious arm conducting motion getting their line tangled....

I just drift a fly using a spin cast.. works well.

i know you mean well and are somewhat tongue in cheek with this post

that said OP. don't listen to this guy and when you get better, definitely don't be this guy.

one of the biggest barriers to entry in the sport is the exclusivity and elitist attitude of the fisherman in the community. to the point where it creates a barrier to getting in. i used to feel like such a poser being around experienced and "cool" fisherman because i was afraid of embarrassing myself while learning.

don't be afraid of being terrible. don't be afraid to ask experienced fishermen for help and don't be afraid to go meet people at your local fly shop and ask for help. anyone who isn't willing to help or talk fishing with you is probably not worth talking to anyway.

feel free to ask questions here and PM if you need anything. Tight Lines
Bird78
AG
All friends of mine. Very unselfish with their skills and knowledge, as well as talented. Sadly a handful of them are not with us anymore. I started working on a companion freshwater text but I lost momentum durting Covid. If you know anyone with unique patterns they would be open to sharing, pleas send them my way.
AgRyan04
AgRyan04 said:

dr_boogs said:

Regarding Santa Fe, high desert anglers and the reel life are the 2 fly shops in town. Have been in both many times, never fished w guides from either. Based on the vibe…. I'd try high desert for a guided trip before the reel life. But they both may be just fine.

Thanks for the tip....I'm working on getting that booked today!

Update....have a day booked with High Desert Anglers!
SunrayAg
AG
Bird78 said:

All friends of mine. Very unselfish with their skills and knowledge, as well as talented. Sadly a handful of them are not with us anymore. I started working on a companion freshwater text but I lost momentum durting Covid. If you know anyone with unique patterns they would be open to sharing, pleas send them my way.

I have portable tackle box sized box with my gear in it, that opens up to a tying station. I also have a background in entomology. So I take my box with me, look for bugs on the water, under rocks, or in spider webs, and tie something to match it.

So I tie a lot of standards. But I also just make stuff up to match the hatch.
dr_boogs
AG
Awesome, post a trip report after you go. I may be up there this summer and could use the feedback and a guide rec if you get a good one.
docb
AG
SunrayAg said:

Bird78 said:

I have portable tackle box sized box with my gear in it, that opens up to a tying station. I also have a background in entomology. So I take my box with me, look for bugs on the water, under rocks, or in spider webs, and tie something to match it.

So I tie a lot of standards. But I also just make stuff up to match the hatch.

Holy smokes that's another level. I would never have the patience to do that. I'd just keep trying one of the many patterns I carry. Maybe I'd take a pic of the insect with my camera and try and match it later.
AgRyan04
Yesterday was a good day!

LRHF
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Yesterday was a good day!

Nice brown!
AgRyan04
Any guide recommendations for the Shanendoah area of Virginia? Going to be up that way in late May.
87Flyfisher
AG
Brian or Colby Trow at Mossy Creek Fly Fishing
http://www.mossycreekflyfishing.com/
AgRyan04
They were doing a charity event the dates we were up there so I booked with Middle River Outfitters.....had a great time with Justin.

This was my first time fishing streams, so that was a cool experience.

I still have A LONG way to go, but I'm starting to retain some of what I'm learning! I really need to start practicing my casting so it becomes more second nature and I can start focusing less on it when Im in the water and more on the nuances of what is going on around me.

We'll be up in Rocky Mountain National Park area in July so looking forward to getting into some streams up there.
AgRyan04
Thoughts on Tenkara?

As a hiker, its pretty intriguing
Hoyt Ag
AG
The Yampa and White Rivers are blown out right now. Only action we are seeing is on dark streamers upstream of Meeker. Went up to Blue Pond and Big Fish on Saturday and caught a few 6-8" brookies and rainbows on caddis. Its gonna be a few more weeks till the rive is fishable it seems.
87Flyfisher
AG
I was one of the first guides offering Tenkara instruction in this country. It is a fun and very effective way to fish small to mid size streams. It is perfect for carrying into more distant areas. In my opinion the Tenkara USA Sato is the best choice with the ability to shorten or lengthen it to fit the conditions you are fishing. Also a lot of fun fishing for Bream on ponds and lakes.
maroonblood90
AG
Just booked a trip to the Snake in August with Western River out of Victor, ID. June and July will go by way to slow.
AgRyan04
Thanks!

I've read that some people use traditional Tenkara flies vs normal fly fishing flies.

Is that just a purist thought process? I would have thought you'd want to use the flies that are related to the region/conditions or fish you're targeting....or is it important to use the Tenkara flies because of the way they present with fixed line setup?
87Flyfisher
AG
You can use any kind of fly with Tenkara. The Euro nymphing Perdigon style work especially well.

The traditional Japanese Kebari style flies are tied with a reversed hackle style that makes them have a lot of lifelike motion while drifting. I have always found it interesting that I can catch nice Trout on a Sz. 16 Kebari and 4x tippet in places that you need to fish a Sz. 20 Midge on 6x to even stand a chance on traditional fly rods. . I think part of the success comes from proper Tenkara technique imitating a dead drifting insect for 2/3 of the presentation and an emerging insect for the last 1/3. Being limited in how far you can cast also forces you to thoroughly fish the water around you instead of just hitting the best looking spots that everyone else has fished too.

I enjoy fishing and tying the traditional Japanese style flies. But I am pragmatic and will choose a beadhead Pheasant Tail if that is what I think will work best.
AgRyan04
We fished the Big Thompson River in Estes last week....it was my son's first time fly fishing and my wife's second.

Next up, the Mrs. and I will be up in Tetons and Yellowstone for our 20th Anniversary.....any recommendations for wading guides? (my wife does not want to fish from a boat)
AgRyan04
Updating the journey....

Just got back from Tetons/Yellowstone.....had a great day on the water. I *almost* landed the big one sitting under some overhanging roots that has been haunting/teasing our guide - he hit my fly but I was just a split second late setting the hook....so now he's haunting me as well!

We were going to go back through Rocky Mountain National Park on the way back home and fish again but HW 36 was closed between Fort Collins to Estes due to the fire so we rescheduled that guide for September.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.