Outdoors
Sponsored by

Getting Into Fly Fishing

7,059 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by AgRyan04
AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any wade guide recommendations from the crowd for the White River around Thanksgiving?
AgRyan04
I hit the river this morning for the first time on my own

While I didn't catch anything other than a coupe sticks and what felt like nearly ever rock on the riverbed, it was a good for me to try everything myself without a guide and figure out what I need help on and what I need to work on!

I
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
wingshoot93
AG
Line control is everything ! From casting, drift/mending, setting hook to fish on. Enjoy!
Hamburger Dan
I've been in the "golf business" for quite awhile. I won a fly rod, reel, line combo with a drawing at a golf tournament, in 2016. I've fished my whole life- but never fly fished. I thought it would be cool to take up to the mountains, every now and then. I thought I could figure it out on my own. Thus, I didn't catch a fish for over two years. My wife, secretly hired a guide from Taos Fly Shop. After one hour with him, I hooked and caught a few fish. Since then, I cannot imagine ever NOT, being to fly fish. I'm retired now, and I spend close to 60 days a year in the mountains of Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado. I start in late April and I'll fish until the end of October. I've caught 6" Cutthroats and 34" Browns and Rainbows - I feel great either way. Hang in there, you will turn a corner and find success. It is amazing!
Hoyt Ag
AG
Which White River? I live on the White River in CO and would be happy to take you fishing.
AgRyan04
In the Ozarks in Arkansas....thank you, though!

I guess I need to figure out which rivers share names across the country!
AgRyan04
My guided trip in Estes Park that I had to reschedule from early August was yesterday.....he asked where I wanted to go and I asked to go back and fish the St Vrain to learn more about fishing smaller streams to correct some of my issues from Saturday morning.

Guide was fantastic....super patient and answered all of my zillion questions that were fresh on my mind and we just focused on me learning - holistically and situational.

I had a great time, learned a bunch, feel like I got better, landed a handful of brookies....and lost a nice cutthroat at my feet as we were trying to net it - but I learned what I could have done differently to not have that happen again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.