Outdoors
Sponsored by

Getting Into Fly Fishing

7,045 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by AgRyan04
AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have never been an angler. My father was not an angler....his father was not an angler.....the fishing merit badge eluded me on my quest to Eagle Scout.
However, in recent years I've had some opportunities to go on some fishing trips with vendors through my work. Some have been boring and some have been fun, but in none of them have I really done anything other than reel in fish that they cast and hooked.

My wife and I have an RV and travel around the country on vacations with our now teenagers and my favorite outdoor activity is hiking, followed closely by laying in my hammock after hiking.

For the last year or so I've been tinkering with the idea of learning how to fly fish because it seems to be a very popular activity in a number of places we seem to find ourselves in our travels. It's an outdoor activity that I should be able to continue as I age and once my knees tell me to stop hiking.

We recently discovered that the Guadalupe River has trout, so for Valentine's day our gift to each other was seeing Pat Green at Gruene Hall and then the next morning having a guide take us out on the Guadalupe to teach us how to fly fishing.

The weather was terrible - it was cold, it absolutely poured turning the river turned into chocolate milk but we both had a blast. To the point that we know we want to pursue it regularly.

We made plans to meet back up with our guide to take us to a local fly shop get ourselves outfitted so we did that yesterday.

We've had plans to go to Santa Fe for spring break for a while so I'm looking into guides in that area. We get up to Estes Park once or twice a year (I know that Kirk's is the way to go there) and this summer is our 20th wedding anniversary and we've atarted tinkering with the idea of a trip to Idaho. I've always wanted to hike up there but this adds an element that my wife can really get into.

Anyways, that's all just a long way of saying I'm excited to jump into this with both feet and learn as much as I can!

I've been watching a ton of YouTube videos and going through Orvis's website/library to learn what I can but I'm sure there is an insane amount of experience and advice I can get from y'all!

My first rainbow trout

The Mrs. landing her first rainbow trout (it was the biggest of the day at 18")

My second!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks for sharing! Great to see your journey into this black hole of frustration and exhilaration that is fly fishing!!! Thoughts and prayers for your budget… ha ha!

You need to look up LRHF, he is a long time poster on the OB. He guides in the Durango CO area, and knows how to catch great trout in the quality waters below Lake Navajo. Really is an amazing experience to drift those waters, and see more fish packed into every mile of the river than almost anywhere else in the US. Catching massive fish on tiny flies is a hoot too!

It's worth the trip from Santa Fe to take a night in Pagosa or Durango to fish with him. Look him up, he is a GREAT guide and an even better teacher about how to read water and present to fish.
cupofjoe04
AG
You can find him over on the fly fishing in Chili thread
chocolatelabs
AG
Excellent. soon you will travel all over the place to fly fish.

where do you live and what rod did you get?
Hoyt Ag
AG
Agreed on looking up LHRF. You wont find a nicer guy and great teacher.

If you want a good fly fishing trip that includes hiking and camping, come out to Meeker where I live. We have it all and I can point you to some great public fishing rivers and lakes in the high country.
SunrayAg
AG
Be warned. Fly fishing is a gateway drug.The only thing better than fly fishing, is fly fishing with a hand tied fly you made yourself.

Then your budget and free time are really screwed.
vin1041
AG
That's looks so fun and relaxing!
RAB87
AG
Congratulations! You're screwed!
AgRyan04
Thanks for the tip on LHRF.....we won't be able to get up to Colorado on this trip but will definitley make a note for the next time we're up there. We seem to find ourselves in that part of CO every couple years.

We're in Leander so it's about an hour and a half to the Guadalupe River for us

We each got a rod, both 9', 5 wt....one TFO Pro III and the one TFO Blue Ribbon. They feel slightly different casting so we're going to see which one we each like. The vibe I've been given is that if this sticks, we'll have many more.

Before we left to meet up with the guide at the shop yesterday I asked the Mrs. if we had a budget, her mistake was saying "We'll just see when we get there"......we're now lumping it in with our anniversary gift fund.

I'm working on my triple surgeon's knot and my clinch knot this afternoon.
TresPuertas
AG
try smoking crack instead.

it's cheaper and less addicting
Newoldarmy
AG
It really is an illness.

I won't cast at a fish I don't see.

I met a guy like me about 20 years ago and thought he was a *****.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Who have you been watching videos of? (I assume YouTube) my favorite guys on there are Wild Fly Productions and Fly All Szn
AgRyan04
Wild Fly is my favorite...their Short Bus Diaries are fantastic

Almost sister channel to them is Blue Line Co. (it's the guy who had the bus).

I also like Hardman Fishing Adventure....he seems genuinely obsessed and excited.

I watch Fly All Szn depending on where he is fishing....he can be a bit much for me sometimes

From an informational standpoint the Orvis Guide to Flyfishing channel, The New Fly Fisher, & Ventures Fly Co.
AgDad121619
AG
Buy some John Gierach books. Best way to escape to fly waters when you can't go yourself

Also be sure to hit hill country rivers like the llano, Guadalupe , and Frio. Lots of bass from trout like water.
docb
AG
Just ask whatever questions you want and I'm sure they will get answered.
dr_boogs
AG
Welcome to the club! What part of the state do you live in? I know you mentioned the stocked trout but you should definitely get some panfish and bass bugs and fish for them anywhere in the state and not limit yourself to the sticker trout. Just way more opportunity. Small poppers, Clousers, gurglers, deceivers, etc.

Regarding Santa Fe, high desert anglers and the reel life are the 2 fly shops in town. Have been in both many times, never fished w guides from either. Based on the vibe…. I'd try high desert for a guided trip before the reel life. But they both may be just fine.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Can I be your house sitter in SS?
docb
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Can I be your house sitter in SS?

Lol. Go for it! Although it will be occupied next week.
WestTexasAg
AG
Welcome to your new addiction. You're gonna love it!
AgFlyGuy
AG
Contact Austin Orr. Based in Austin but travels all over giving lessons. Great guy and helpful.

https://www.elevateflycasting.com
LRHF
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

Contact Austin Orr. Based in Austin but travels all over giving lessons. Great guy and helpful.

https://www.elevateflycasting.com

I've only talked with him but considering making a trip to see him and tune up my saltwater game! He is recently a FULL time instructor, impressive. This should be your next step, avoid bad habits the rest of us developed!
Al Bula
AG
Cannot stress enough working with a certified casting instructor specializing in the species and water you want to fish the most.

Be prepared to be treated funny around buddies who fish conventionally. Don't listen to them or second-guess your new hobby variant. They have never hooked up with a tarpon or bonefish on fly.
Bird78
AG
I have over 20 different fly rods, in different weights. Its not an addiction. Seriously, I can stop anytime I want.
docb
AG
Orvis has 20% off on flies right now. I'll help you start your spending.
TAM85
A trip to keep in your back pocket. I fished the Middle Provo with one of my sons a few years ago. We had a lot of fun catching brownies.

It was about an hour and half drive from Salt Lake City, so an easy in and out.

If you want to try something completely different take the bobsled ride on the XIX Olympic Winter Games track. We did it in the summer on the concrete track, and it was a blast. Hitting some of the turns at over 70 MPH, the driver told us we were at 4-5 Gs. A bit expensive, and less than a minute ride, but really cool.
CrockerAg98
AG
TresPuertas said:

This is why I'm limiting myself to work trips. I have Big Horn in early June, and looking for another spot in Montana for either late May, or earlier June. Worst case, will push to August.

I fear when I get to Colorado, I may have to make a larger personal investment.
panag
AG
This is where I'm at too. It's a curse.
Baitcaster
Recommendation for YouTube content is Mad River Outfitters.
Brian is very good at clearly describing casting techniques, knots, and gear.
Baitcaster Class of '97
dr_boogs
AG
Admittedly, there are a number of casting styles and casting strokes, and I watched all of his videos when I was starting out. I agree they are generally good, his sinking line and leader for sinking line videos are particularly strong/helpful.

In one of his casting videos he recommends keeping the elbow hinge point stationary, never moving. In fact he squats down and puts his elbow on his knee and casts back and forth with the elbow fixed on his knee and suggests practicing to maintain a fixed elbow. You can't see his loops when he does this. While you can cast a tight loop doing this if you have little line out and the rod arc is narrow, when you have to widen your casting arc for more distance or tempo to drive line speed, IMO this leads to a convex rod tip path and wide open loops. The elbow does have to move some in space when you cast a fly line for anything other than short or soft casts. Elbow movement is also key when learning to drift in your backcast.

Also, if I recall, he also has a video where he throws tails but says it isn't a tailing loop because the line is in the correct orientation at the loop. I would disagree w this, watch Paul Arden from sexyloops to see perfect line orientation and then tailing loops.

But for the most part I agree, his content is really good when starting out. Just can't live and die by his videos as you begin to advance in your casting journey. But I guess that's true of every instructor.
chocolatelabs
AG
CrockerAg98 said:

TresPuertas said:

This is why I'm limiting myself to work trips. I have Big Horn in early June, and looking for another spot in Montana for either late May, or earlier June. Worst case, will push to August.

Go to Missoula, MT. tons of different types of water to fish. August could be tough depending on water temps.
Newoldarmy
AG
Headed to Abaco Sunday.
aggiesherpa
AG
I have loved relearning how to fly fish. Being in Texas, if there is water standing there is probably some type of fish in it. Hit up your city parks with ponds or creeks. Here in DFW I love wading through the different creeks near us, for a moment I even forget I'm in the city.
panag
AG
Very little could make me as jealous. Enjoy!
rather be fishing
AG
CrockerAg98 said:

TresPuertas said:

Late May could still be runoff, depending on your target area. Just keep an eye on things. It's been a really weird winter/spring with El Nino.

We haven't had much snow until like last week/this week and it's a bit confusing as to what is going to happen with the melt.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Amen to this. We have gotten a ton of snow the last 48 hours and more to come. It was a pretty mild winter to be honest, with only a few days in the negatives and only a couple major blizzards.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.