Outdoors
Sponsored by

Leasing land for Solar

11,948 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by PetroAg12
jpb1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

Doc Hayworth said:

Both wind and solar devastate the aesthetics of the land.
When I was working in West Texas and the Panhandle, the land and Plateaus were the same as they had been for centuries, now they look like crap with all the Turbines covering the Plateaus and solar panels covering entire sections of land.

A 1000 pump jacks do the same.

I'm not pro-green energy, but the emotional hysterics on this thread is sad.

No they don't! Barely can see them.

Hysteria… sad? Really?!? People are just stating facts! It's not a viable long term energy source.
schmellba99
AG
Say what you want about pipelines or even windmills....but at least with those you still have use of your land to farm, ranch, hunt, for recreation, etc.

Not with solar farms. They cover your land and it is essentially unusable for anything other than the solar panels. Any good grasses are usually wiped out, constant spraying by their contractors to "maintain" vegetation and weeds, which leaves little more than huge swaths of land with nothing but 7' high panels and bare ground under them. Would assume the landowner has little access as well given that any damage to panels, conduits, etc. would cause a lot of finger pointing in that case.

Several going in around me in Brazoria County and up around Needville, and it sucks. Hey, it's whomever's land and their call, but it sucks to see the land go to essentially zero use outside of the panels. I've also seen more than a handful of solar farms that are in absolute disrepair. No clue what the story is on those, but its evident that the farm is no longer producing and the operator cares not about any sort of maintenance. I'd hate to be the landowner in that scenario.
Burdizzo
AG
It is a bit of a conundrum, isn't it? We want to be "clean" in our energy production, but the whole point of solar energy is to capture the sunlight before anything else does. Unless your a microbe living off the energy near a volcanic vent at the bottom of the ocean, every bit of life on this planet depends on the sun. And here we are blocking it so we can convert it (inefficiently) to electricity.
schmellba99
AG
jpb1999 said:

AgLA06 said:

Doc Hayworth said:

When I was working in West Texas and the Panhandle, the land and Plateaus were the same as they had been for centuries, now they look like crap with all the Turbines covering the Plateaus and solar panels covering entire sections of land.

Hysteria… sad? Really?!? People are just stating facts! It's not a viable long term energy source.
Depending on where the windmills are, you can also barely see them until you are up on them in many applications as well.

In my area, depending on exactly where you are, you can see for a long, long way across the coastal plains. And you see everything, especially at night - radio towers, cell towers, pump jacks, windmills, etc. They all have various impacts on the landscape. All a matter of your perspective.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I refused on an offer in central Leon County a couple months ago. They were trying to put it together and sell and they had contact terms I couldn't live with. I've since been approached a second time by another outfit via phone. I asked them for more info but have not heard back.
AgLA06
AG
jpb1999 said:

AgLA06 said:

Doc Hayworth said:

Doc Hayworth
That's not emotional hysterics, but solid fact. Pump jacks are not nearly as visible 1/4 mile away from roads, as are solar panels and wind turbines.
AgLA06
AG
A solar field can be hidden from sight behind a slight rise in a field.

It's all subjective antics based on personal preference / social norms.
Bassmaster
AG
Get used to seeing solar around much more. The Inflation Reduction Act is a game changer because of the tax credits. There are a crazy amount of contracts being signed right now.
rme
AG
Yes. Also very easy to hide solar in a flat area like around Houston.
aggiedata
AG
rab79
AG
My commercial appraiser contacts do multiple solar farm appraisals, they say don't do it.
AgLA06
AG
rme said:

There around here. Pretty easy to hide from the road by building berms, tree / shrub screening, or digging down.

Or every so slight rolling topography not far from here.
schmellba99
AG
rme said:

Yep, they hide easy until you get up on them. A few of the farms that are going in now I didn't even know were going in until I had a reason to drive down that road and came up on them.
Mas89
AG
Solar farms are being put on farm and ranch land currently in the Houston area. One is even in Harris county. Most of them are on land Purchased by the solar company. Some on land they do the mentioned long term lease.

Local school boards and county commissioners are being asked to give property tax abatements for many years on these solar farms. One of our neighbors is currently in a lease but have not heard if the solar company plans to eventually go forward with the project. I think the initial lease was 4 years.

I am not in favor of property tax abatements in Texas for solar farms and I wish the Tx legislature never would have made this a possibility. But at least it has to be approved locally for each project.
S.A. Aggie
AG
Stringfellow Hawke said:

I would say no. Here is why.

*ugly and take a lot of space

*would be on property in perpetuity
Can they be used to vaporize hogs??
*harmful effects to wildlife. Read about the one in California that vaporizes birds and airplanes have to divert around it.

*what happens when you are no longer getting paid and the panels are still on your property?

Can the panels nuke hogs???
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
From orbit only.
cbr
AG
i am interested in the ups and downs.

friend with a house next to a field considering solar.

if you put a row of brush or trees between you and the solar farm what are the downsides?

noise?
i wouldnt really think so but dont know.

dust? maybe if they kill most of the grass

pesticide blow over? maybe

light pollution? no idea

battery or power line issues? dont know

traffic ? i dont think they need much maintenance but i dont know.

cleanup if a storm breaks them all up and they blow onto your land? that would probably be legally actionable, but a hassle.

what else.

frankly, my inclination is i'd rather have a solar farm than a neighborhood or commercial property, but i just dont know the ins and outs, so i am curious about any input.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Quote:

if you put a row of brush or trees between you and the solar farm what are the downsides?

I don't think as a separate owner they can do anything. The solar lease I looked at actually had a clause (which I would have objected to) saying that I, the property owner, could not install shade producing vegetation on property I owned immediately adjacent to property that I leased to them.

noise?
i wouldnt really think so but dont know.

SHouldn't be after construction

dust? maybe if they kill most of the grass

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't gravel it

pesticide blow over? maybe

Maybe? depends??

light pollution? no idea

Maybe a light on a control room building, I think that would be it

battery or power line issues? dont know

Probably no different from any wind farm you've driven by

traffic ? i dont think they need much maintenance but i dont know.

Pretty low after construction wraps up

cleanup if a storm breaks them all up and they blow onto your land? that would probably be legally actionable, but a hassle.

The whole thing going fallow is a concern I have as a landowner.

Yesterday
AG
If the money is right, do it. If it's not, don't.

We'll have turbines on our property in the next few months, a bit different than solar but one thing I've learned is those who hate them, don't have them. Those that do, love them. For the most part at least.
OnlyForNow
AG
Regarding power, they like connecting to existing infrastructure, so if the big connection line is on or crosses your property it'll be annoying but otherwise no.

I don't they gravel it or use pesticides, most companies come in and do minimal ground disturbance during construction and conduct some routine maintenance mowing year-round.

Now there probably will be some glare, but that is typically part of their engineering review.
B-1 83
AG
Gunny456 said:

I agree with Stringfellow. A couple that goes to our church has their family farm up in northwest MO. They agreed to a large solar farm. They clear cut his acreage of course but annually they spray a total grass and weed killer on the entire area and it kills most of the vegetation. This created silt to go into a 4 acre lake they had on the property. Supposedly they have been arguing with the company but no one will take responsibility. This is 2nd hand info so don't know all of the actual facts.
They just said the money has not offset their worry and grief and in hindsight they wish they never would have done it.
Great point. The runoff from these areas must be tremendous. Insist on vegetative barriers of some sort to filter runoff from these fields. Odds are, a pond would be in the works, also. Why not catch that runoff?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Trinity Ag
S
Doc Hayworth said:

Not advocating for massive solar farms, but lets be even-handed here.

All energy production has downsides, and none of it is ideal if it is on your land -- unless the money is worth it.

Trinity Ag
S
jpb1999 said:

AgLA06 said:

Doc Hayworth said:

You can not only see them, you can smell them.
jpb1999
AG
Trinity Ag said:

jpb1999 said:

AgLA06 said:

Doc Hayworth said:

Doesn't matter in the context that Solar/Wind is not a viable long term energy source. Its a stupid boondoggle. Should be opposed in every way.
duddleysdraw88
AG
Yesterday said:

We'll have turbines on our property in the next few months, a bit different than solar but one thing I've learned is those who hate them, don't have them. Those that do, love them. For the most part at least.

You will find out over the next few years. I have family with them and they say if they could do it all over again, they (and lots of their neighbors) would not do the turbines.

*and they all joined together to negotiate pretty good lease prices and they still say it is not worth it.

Ogre09
AG
Trinity Ag said:

jpb1999 said:

AgLA06 said:

Doc Hayworth said:

Exclamation points = hysterics

And you can smell, hear, and see pump jacks.
Ogre09
AG
How is solar power not a viable long term energy source? The sun will keep shining for longer than any of us care about. Solar panels have a ~25 year lifespan before they need to be replaced. Operating costs are low.

The sun isn't always shining, sure, so they can't be the single source of power. We'll need other options for cold, cloudy days and to carry through the nights. But here in Texas they provide a nice boost through the hot, sunny afternoons we have most of the year.

Or are you concerned about the economics of it? If that's your complaint, show the math.
Yesterday
AG
duddleysdraw88 said:

Yesterday said:

You will find out over the next few years. I have family with them and they say if they could do it all over again, they (and lots of their neighbors) would not do the turbines.

*and they all joined together to negotiate pretty good lease prices and they still say it is not worth it.

I'm sure there are some out there. What don't they like?
Jbob04
AG
Ogre09 said:

How is solar power not a viable long term energy source? The sun will keep shining for longer than any of us care about. Solar panels have a ~25 year lifespan before they need to be replaced. Operating costs are low.

The sun isn't always shining, sure, so they can't be the single source of power. We'll need other options for cold, cloudy days and to carry through the nights. But here in Texas they provide a nice boost through the hot, sunny afternoons we have most of the year.

Or are you concerned about the economics of it? If that's your complaint, show the math.

They are taking up thousands of acres of prime farming and ranching land across the country.
TarponChaser
Jbob04 said:

Ogre09 said:

They are taking up thousands of acres of prime farming and ranching land across the country.

Serious question- are you making the claim that there is a shortage of such land preventing agricultural production at necessary levels?
Burdizzo
AG
My speculative opinion is that the biggest contributor to reduction in agricultural land is people who decide it isn't worth it anymore.
Jbob04
AG
Not currently but in the future I could see it.
Mas89
AG
rme said:

Lots of fearmongering on this thread. I've done lots of solar leases and would be happy to give OP some background info.

*harmful effects to wildlife. Read about the one in California that vaporizes birds and airplanes have to divert around it.

Ivanpah concentrating solar thermal plant:

You won't see a plant like that in Texas. My favorite line about solar is someone in NC (I think) claimed that a solar farm was sucking up all the sunlight in his town.

Glad we have an Aggie expert on this thread. I have a couple questions
when you have time to explain.

1. Why are solar companies asking for long term property tax abatements from our counties and school districts when they are already getting a 30 percent federal investment tax credit ? Isn't it a profitable business that can pay property taxes like other businesses do?

2. Why are some Texas county appraisal districts not collecting the 3 years of roll back taxes when the solar farm is taken out of Ag/ timber use and converted to commercial use? Is that why some are bringing in goats to graze? Are they still claiming ag use on the solar farms?
I was shocked to learn last week that our local appraisal district has not yet done the 3 year tax rollback on two local solar farms that started construction in 2022. The roll back tax on my example would be about $300,000. Assuming 500 acres at $ 10,000 per acre value and a rural 2 percent tax rate. So 100,000 per year for 3 years.

3. Are these roll back taxes required by Tx state law/ tax code? Assuming previously the land was in ag/ pasture use and has been completely made into a solar farm.

Thanks for any explanation.
rme
AG
Mas89 said:

rme said:

Lots of fearmongering on this thread. I've done lots of solar leases and would be happy to give OP some background info.

Ivanpah concentrating solar thermal plant:

You won't see a plant like that in Texas. My favorite line about solar is someone in NC (I think) claimed that a solar farm was sucking up all the sunlight in his town.

All good questions! Not trying to be smart, but here are some simple answers:

Glad we have an Aggie expert on this thread. I have a couple questions
when you have time to explain.

1. Why are solar companies asking for long term property tax abatements from our counties and school districts when they are already getting a 30 percent federal investment tax credit ? Isn't it a profitable business that can pay property taxes like other businesses do?
Because programs exist to provide property tax abatements, no different than the federal tax code. If it's available, a prudent business will pursue the benefit.

2. Why are some Texas county appraisal districts not collecting the 3 years of roll back taxes when the solar farm is taken out of Ag/ timber use and converted to commercial use? An excellent question for county appraisal districts if they aren't addressing this. Is that why some are bringing in goats to graze? No, sheep (not goats) are just better for everyone than using chemicals or only mowing. Are they still claiming ag use on the solar farms? It's extremely unlikely that any solar farm still has an ag exemption unless it's due to lack of oversight by a county. The primary use of the land as solar will be the most important factor.
I was shocked to learn last week that our local appraisal district has not yet done the 3 year tax rollback on two local solar farms that started construction in 2022. The roll back tax on my example would be about $300,000. Assuming 500 acres at $ 10,000 per acre value and a rural 2 percent tax rate. So 100,000 per year for 3 years. Ask your county or keep an eye on it. It could be based on 1/1 values, so the 1/1/23 assessment would reflect loss of ag exemption and then the county will calculate rollback. Normal property taxes aren't due until later in the year, maybe rollbacks are billed with those. Send me a parcel ID number or a map pin for any or all of the solar farms and I can look into it.

3. Are these roll back taxes required by Tx state law/ tax code? Assuming previously the land was in ag/ pasture use and has been completely made into a solar farm. Yes, it was changed to three years from five years 2018/19ish.

Thanks for any explanation.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.