Outdoors
Sponsored by

Leasing land for Solar

12,156 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by PetroAg12
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Very helpful info. Some local counties and school boards are now refusing the property tax abatement requests but solar farms are still being built in those counties. So it must be a lucrative business model.

Interestingly, our local county appraisal district thought that because the tax abatements had been approved that they did not have to assess the 3 years of rollback taxes. Which is clearly not the case. With several of the retired appraisal district employees now doing tax consulting in the same county, I have to wonder…
rme
AG
Mas89 said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Very helpful info. Some local counties and school boards are now refusing the property tax abatement requests but solar farms are still being built in those counties. So it must be a lucrative business model.

Interestingly, our local county appraisal district thought that because the tax abatements had been approved that they did not have to assess the 3 years of rollback taxes. Which is clearly not the case. With several of the retired appraisal district employees now doing tax consulting in the same county, I have to wonder…
Happy to help! The rollback is outside of the abatement deal. The calculation is straightforward and the county gets to charge interest too.
LandGateResources
Hello! There are lots of pros and cons to consider regarding leasing your land for a solar farm. We've worked with many landowners who have leased their land for a solar farm. Check out this resource with some common FAQ's that we've heard from landowners in your position! Here are some tips for conducting due diligence on your lease offer as well.
cupofjoe04
AG
This should be good...

also- you should contact TexAgs to purchase a Sponsorship to advertise your business here, rather than just creating a sock account and jumping on board with marketing. JMHO
PetroAg12
Reviving this thread for personal interest.

I've got a couple hundred acre parcel in Jack County that has been leased by a solar developer on all sides. Although I would've preferred differently, now that I'm boxed in, it seems that I'm not left with much choice but to lease. The developer has indicated a willingness to lease me at comparable terms, but seems to be dragging their feet. What is their motivation to acquire the last few hundred acres in a 10,000+ acre position? Do I have any leverage I can utilize to make sure I'm included, or am I at their mercy now?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.