Outdoors
Sponsored by

42 Question

11,493 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mpl35
flashplayer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Then you aren't playing by the Chicken' rules
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

The Shank Ag said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Thisguy1 said:

The only times I've done doubles as a suit of their own are on nello or if I'm making doubles trumps. Don't think I've ever seen setting a trump and then saying doubles are a suit of their own as well.

I didn't set a Trump. Look at his hand. 6/5 walks. Then the rest of the 5s walk in order.

Look at the Chicken rules 1.A.i.3

Either way, never seen doubles catch doubles as a non trump non nello declaration. Even if playing no trump

Seen it or not doesn't matter, you can call follow me; Trumps high, low, or suit of their own. You definitely could have bid on that hand.

Guess it depends on the company. I'd have no problem with it, those I play with are quick to not allow something nobody has seen/heard of in a situation before. Family/house rules definitely outweigh chicken/competition rules

Fair enough and true on the company call. We always played chicken / tourney rules at A&M and with other Aggies. Now if I tried that bid with my Dad and his east Texas buddies they'd probably try and call me out for some voodoo made up **** and wouldn't give a damn even if I showed them the rule in print.

Ol_Ag_02
AG
Thisguy1 said:

So you're just saying follow me but doubles are a suit of their own? That's what we're saying. I've never been able to dictate that unless going nello or making doubles trumps.

Yes.

Not sure what to tell you. It's allowed.
Thisguy1
I'm sure you're right. It's been a minute since I've been able to play.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I'm sure you're right. It's been a minute since I've been able to play.

It's a good thing there's not a professional 42 circuit like poker. Cause I could easily see a scenario where I lose all our money and my wife divorces me because I insist on trying to make a living playing dominoes instead of having a real job.

Cause as good as you think you are at 42, you're still getting your butt kicked by a couple old men at a church potluck.
ChoppinDs40
AG
flashplayer said:

WestTxWood88 said:

Genuinely surprised at some of the bids on this hand. It never crossed my mind to not bid 84. As Mr. Olden off Rock Prairie road used to say around the domino table, "I'd rather wear out than rust out".

The people I play with are like rainman and will be counting 5s and 6s and protecting them on both ends the whole way through. Your only hope on a 2 mark bid on that hand is that they get distribution F'd and can't protect anything or that you hit on the 1/3 odds that your partner is the one holding two fives when the 5-5 is laid down on the 6th trick.

Don't get me wrong, I probably go for it about half the time just for fun, but it's probably not any better than a coin flip against good 42 players.

Bingo. No way I'm bidding that high in that hand. It's a great spoiler hand with the doubles and the 5:5. Let some other fool outbid you.

I'd go 32. If you run trumps first, everyone has you figured out and starts holding onto 5s and 6s. As soon as that 5:5 is played and the 5:0 isn't. They've got you. Have to hope your pard has it. Good thing is, at that point you've pulled at most five out (2:5 and four from the 5:5 pull). One left on your 5:0 but if ones left, you may be toast. They have the 5:1, done.

I play more conservatively though.

I'd lead with my lowest trump and see if I can punt immediately or force my opponents. Don't have a 6 or 4 off. Force them to try and go for the 10 spot or play your off and walk it out after.
SPF250
AG
As a kid, we had an annual family reunion at the Cameron Park clubhouse in Waco. Always a fall Sunday. We spent most of the afternoon playing football while the old men played some domino game inside. Yep. I lost years of learning from the best. Realized what I had missed when I got to A&M.
one safe place
All these deviations from the game of 42 just hurt my head! What next, putting one domino on your forehead like in Indian poker?
one safe place
SPF250 said:

As a kid, we had an annual family reunion at the Cameron Park clubhouse in Waco. Always a fall Sunday. We spent most of the afternoon playing football while the old men played some domino game inside. Yep. I lost years of learning from the best. Realized what I had missed when I got to A&M.
When I was 18, I went to work at this place and in the lunchroom they had all these tables with this rim around them. I thought wow, what kind of people need a rim to keep their food on the table. Then the older guys come in, break out the dominos and start to play. I couldn't figure out what was going on. They played super fast because we only had 30 minutes for lunch. Sometimes they played round the table until they used all 7 dominos. Other times, they played one or two dominos then knocked them all over, lol. Eventually all us young guys learned to play the game and for five or six years, before most of our group got married, our friday evenings were fast pitch softball then gathering up to play 42 until 2am or 3am.
mpl35
AG
flashplayer said:

WestTxWood88 said:

Genuinely surprised at some of the bids on this hand. It never crossed my mind to not bid 84. As Mr. Olden off Rock Prairie road used to say around the domino table, "I'd rather wear out than rust out".

The people I play with are like rainman and will be counting 5s and 6s and protecting them on both ends the whole way through. Your only hope on a 2 mark bid on that hand is that they get distribution F'd and can't protect anything or that you hit on the 1/3 odds that your partner is the one holding two fives when the 5-5 is laid down on the 6th trick.

Don't get me wrong, I probably go for it about half the time just for fun, but it's probably not any better than a coin flip against good 42 players.
If you aren't counting the suits as they come out you aren't playing. The ones that annoy me are the ones that realize I trashed a 4/0 and 5/4 and know by the third hand I'm holding the 3/2 in hopes of giving it to my partner on the sixth trick.
milner79
GarryowenAg said:

No splash
No plunge
Forced nelo only
No sevens

Those are the real rules.

Here are the REAL rules (State 42 tournament, Hallettsville). Including no nello, no forced bid, and for crying out loud no doubles suit of their own.

https://www.hallettsville.com/event-docs/70/58/
GSS
And Richard Hay (Aggie), is mentioned in the rules, so I looked him up...good story.

https://anewdomain.net/texas-42-dominos-championship-richard-hay/
NRA Life
TSRA Life
hellapark
AG
The main event here in Hville is the straight domino tourney. 42 mostly takes a back seat. Some of these old bohunks been playing with each other for 60 years and are damn near mind readers. Not much fun playing when they can tell you your hand after 2 plays….which is why I've always preferred 42 or Moon.
LRHF
AG
Wife grew up playing in Central Tx and I learned during school.

We lived in NM for a while and found another couple at a party that played 42. The dominoes came out and we're having a wonderful time until one of them called Nello (wasn't forced). The kicker is, her and her husband traded a domino before the game kicked off!

Pretty sure we never finished the game, that was some complete NM trash playing...

LRHF
mpl35
AG
LRHF said:

We lived in NM for a while and found another couple at a party that played 42. The dominoes came out and we're having a wonderful time until one of them called Nello (wasn't forced). The kicker is, her and her husband traded a domino before the game kicked off!

Pretty sure we never finished the game, that was some complete NM trash playing...

LRHF
Who's place were you playing at? I mean house rules.....
Ol_Ag_02
AG
LRHF said:

LRHF

I'm not sure how pistols weren't drawn.
The Shank Ag
Our family definitely has a nello problem. We play at any time (no passed dominos) and it's not unheard of to have four 84 nello bids in a single set.

My farmer great grandparents from Odem set the house rules 70+ years ago and the only change I can remember is letting doubles low be an option on nello bids (which was debated ad naseum until the loudest dissenters loved to see the bidder set on the 0-1 when the double 1 was led.
WestTxWood88
AG
This is the way God intended all 42 games to be played.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Our family definitely has a nello problem. We play at any time (no passed dominos) and it's not unheard of to have four 84 nello bids in a single set.

My farmer great grandparents from Odem set the house rules 70+ years ago and the only change I can remember is letting doubles low be an option on nello bids (which was debated ad naseum until the loudest dissenters loved to see the bidder set on the 0-1 when the double 1 was led.
My parents and grandparents played 42 quite a lot. They kept points as opposed to marks as previously discussed and you could go nello at any time. If you went nello, doubles were either high in their suit or they were a suit of their own. There was no doubles low in their suit.

My Dad is still to this day the King of Nello. He will go nello on pretty much anything and he's really good at making it if you don't pay extremely close attention. I have learned to pay extremely close attention and have busted him many times, which is quite satisfying. However it does hack me off when he ruins a perfectly good 36 bid hand.

Also, family rules have been no splash, plunge or sevens. I bid sevens once and my Dad allowed it just to see what it was. After that hand, he stated, "we're NEVER playing that **** game again in my house."

We're going to some friends house tonight to play some 42 and watch the game. We're taking B1 beans as our contribution.
ldg397
AG
This situation is a little different with the 10 count out probably wouldn't bid more than 31. Any other trump bid aggressively. I would lead out the 5:6 the guy to your left is thinking no way this guy doesn't have 5:5 and he won't throw count. I also typically lead out the x:6 followed by the double when I have trumps just for this very situation.
HUEY04
AG
Never played 42 but sounds kind of like spades from what I'm reading here. We could play spades for hours on end before school, after school, on the bus, at family gatherings, everywhere growing up
agenjake
My East Texas in-laws absolutely love playing sevens, from the old-timers to the young'ns. So in their house we play by their rules. I guess that is accepted in Marshall, Texas.

But in my house the rule is no sevens unless there are two or more (in-law last names) at the table.

AnSci99
I've always thought they're lots of similarities between the two games. Rather than trump being set with spades, you call trumps. After playing both quite a bit in judging team vans, if I had a choice, I'd pick 42 every time. One things that I haven't seen mentioned is the obligatory Greenie Weenie after 42 is over. Don't get that with spades.
JB!98
AG
AnSci99 said:

I've always thought they're lots of similarities between the two games. Rather than trump being set with spades, you call trumps. After playing both quite a bit in judging team vans, if I had a choice, I'd pick 42 every time. One things that I haven't seen mentioned is the obligatory Greenie Weenie after 42 is over. Don't get that with spades.
Is the Greenie Weenie what we called playing them back into the box? I have never heard of it.
AnSci99
Yep. Same thing. Damn fun way to wind things up. Lots of shenanigans in Greenie Weenie!
JB!98
AG
AnSci99 said:

Yep. Same thing. Damn fun way to wind things up. Lots of shenanigans in Greenie Weenie!
Gotcha! Gave you time to drink the last of the pitcher and talk S.
TXAG 05
AG
JB!98 said:

AnSci99 said:

Is the Greenie Weenie what we called playing them back into the box? I have never heard of it.

We always just called that "In the box"
AnSci99
You're the "Greenie Weenie" if you end up with the double blank.
JB!98
AG
AnSci99 said:

You're the "Greenie Weenie" if you end up with the double blank.
Gotcha! I believe we called it "back in the box", and then you were some other choice names when you had the old "double nuts". I think the "double nuts" was a Navy term that my Grandpa taught me from the CAG's plane modex ending in 00.

That brings up other names in 42. We call the double and the next highest domino the "cow" and the "calf". Anyone else? i.e. 5/5 cow, 5/6 calf.
agenjake
Yep. Cow and calf.

And if you're drawing trumps away from your partner and nobody else, you're milking the bull.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Hell no I've never heard those. And I think if you used those around my old family they'd probably make fun of you. But it's clearly colloquial to you.

And stuff like the above is just another thing I love about 42. Individual families, churches, and towns putting their own little spins on the rules and terms. It truly is the national game of Texas.
JSKolache
AG
I've been thinking about this thread 2 days in a row. Kudos to OP. Havent played in yrs...
jt2hunt
AG
Anyone know a good way to play with people online on an iPhone?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
jt2hunt said:

Anyone know a good way to play with people online on an iPhone?

I don't. But I'm sure literally everyone here knows about the Texas 42 app. It's not perfect but it's pretty dang close and created by an Ag.

But just in case someone didn't, get it on your phone.
flashplayer
AG
A poster here, Philip J Fry, created the 42 app that's on the App Store. A few friends and I tried to play it early this year but there were still some bad bugs in it that kept freezing it.

He'd be a celebrity around here if he ever got it working consistently.

It does work pretty well if you're just playing the computer though. But playing with other people it was not behaving.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.