Outdoors
Sponsored by

42 Question

11,367 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mpl35
Will Hunt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JB!98 said:

Thisguy1 said:

How are you winning that 5-0?
Your only hope is to first not get trump set and then to run everything out and play the double 5 then the 5 blank. You could try playing the double 5 early after the trump are gone to try and through people off your trail, but it is risky.

It would also depend on how the count fell. If I see that the only count left is the 5 blank then I know you have it and will try and hold on for dear life to my 5's.

2 mark hand, count doesn't matter, but yes the Double 5 would be 2nd to last played.
Will Hunt
The Shank Ag said:

Additional post to add the most frustrating hand I ever pulled a few years ago at the beach

Couldn't even bid 30, if guy to my left sees I call 5s without the double, he's either playing the double or dropping count.

That's why you go count fishing with hands you have 3 or more highest dominoes in other hands. Set the precedent to make them think about it. I.e, lead with 4:5 when you have 4:4 and 4:6.
jt2hunt
AG
Reviews are awful.
Mathguy64
AG
jt2hunt said:

Reviews are awful.
It's a solid app. I've had it since the beginning and it still works on iOS16. The AI is solid. Maybe the reviews are from people who don't know how to play 42.
LRHF
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jt2hunt said:

Reviews are awful.
It's a solid app. I've had it since the beginning and it still works on iOS16. The AI is solid. Maybe the reviews are from people who don't know how to play 42.

Yep, wife plays it a ton and works great (playing the computer)
Ol_Ag_02
AG
jt2hunt said:

Reviews are awful.

Probably just people mad you can't play 7s.
TXAG 05
AG
jt2hunt said:

Reviews are awful.

It's a great app, at least playing against the computer. Haven't tried playing against other people, but will play a quick game when needing to kill some time. It's made me a lot better player.
agfan2013
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jt2hunt said:

Reviews are awful.

Yep, don't trust the reviews. It plays just fine vs the computer. It might not be 100% perfect, but more than good enough. Haven't played multiplayer in awhile so can't speak to that.

Just to give you an idea some of the earlier versions had bad reviews because "you can't pick trumps" people didn't get that it was a scroll wheel and you scrolled to pick and then tapped at the top where it said bid. You've gotta dumb everything down for the masses these days.
flashplayer
AG
As I stated in my post, the multiplayer is unplayable, which is kind of a big deal if you get bored of kicking the computers ass.
mpl35
AG
I've used the multiplayer. Works sometimes. Not the best though that's for sure!
Ogre09
AG
Will Hunt said:

The Shank Ag said:

Additional post to add the most frustrating hand I ever pulled a few years ago at the beach

Couldn't even bid 30, if guy to my left sees I call 5s without the double, he's either playing the double or dropping count.

That's why you go count fishing with hands you have 3 or more highest dominoes in other hands. Set the precedent to make them think about it. I.e, lead with 4:5 when you have 4:4 and 4:6.

I would go 31 on that hand and assume I'm losing the 5/5. If one opponent has the 5/5 and the other has more count, you're set. I have a 1/3 shot that my partner has the 5/5. And I have a ~1/3 [(2/3)^3] shot the opponent without 5/5 doesn't have count. Combined probability is >50% I only lose 11 on the first round. Trump back in and lay down.

If I'm not the dealer, there's a good shot someone will outbid me and I just helped raise the bid. If I am the dealer, I have to bid anyway so may as well see if I can hit 30 with it. Bid aggressively and hope your partner can help out.
The Shank Ag
Ogre09 said:

Will Hunt said:

The Shank Ag said:

I would go 31 on that hand and assume I'm losing the 5/5. If one opponent has the 5/5 and the other has more count, you're set. I have a 1/3 shot that my partner has the 5/5. And I have a ~1/3 [(2/3)^3] shot the opponent without 5/5 doesn't have count. Combined probability is >50% I only lose 11 on the first round. Trump back in and lay down.

If I'm not the dealer, there's a good shot someone will outbid me and I just helped raise the bid. If I am the dealer, I have to bid anyway so may as well see if I can hit 30 with it. Bid aggressively and hope your partner can help out.
This was in 2018, and the only thing I can say for sure was if I was the dealer, it was not forced on me.

I also remember, after asking to reclaim my dominos after the hand was played, that my partner did NOT have the double. No clue anymore which of the opponents did. Though again, I feel it would have been all for naught whichever did.

One of them had the 5-5

That means there were 3 other counting dominos that were dispersed among the three players. The chances of the opposite partner not having 1 of the 6-4, 4-1, or 3-2 seems pretty small. My statistics classes were closing in on 15 years ago but i'm guessing the odds of the opponent that doesn't have the 5-5 also has one of those three is higher than 50%.

Had I been down 6 games to 3 or less, I might had considered the 84 bid on even worse odds, as a hail mary of sorts. But I believe we were up in the match, and just wasn't worth those odds.
tamc93
AG
bcasey03 said:

84. 2 marks
almost starred it again for the correct answer, but it was at 84 stars
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
insulator_king
AG
Dang I miss playing me some 42.
Any place in ABQ where I can find a game?
Jacksonculpepper
Anyone know how to get 42 hd the original 42 game on the new iOS
Ogre09
AG
What's the bid, and what's the trump here?
Ragoo
AG
31, 4s, lead 6-0
SPF250
AG
31, 2's trump.
RED AG 98
AG
Is leading with a trump not an official rule?
mpl35
AG
RED AG 98 said:

not at all
Mathguy64
AG
2 marks. Nello. Doubles a suit of their own, lead the 4-1. I'll take my chances risk/reward.
RED AG 98
AG
mpl35 said:

RED AG 98 said:

not at all
Interesting. Thanks. Only way we've ever played. All family from Texas that's been playing for a very long time.
Ogre09
AG
RED AG 98 said:

mpl35 said:

RED AG 98 said:

not at all
Interesting. Thanks. Only way we've ever played. All family from Texas that's been playing for a very long time.

I have never heard that before. Leading a non-trump is a fairly common move if you don't have the big trump.
Ogre09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

2 marks. Nello. Doubles a suit of their own, lead the 4-1. I'll take my chances risk/reward.

You're going nello with the 6-4? And no nello outside force bid
Ogre09
AG
SPF250 said:

31, 2's trump.

I bid 31 and was going to go 6s trump, but dealer got the bid at 32. With 6s you get 4 trumps and a double, and the 4/2 off covers the 4/1 off maybe. 2s was interesting though, and maybe a better move.

This was an interesting hand for leading, but kinda sucked for defending.
Mathguy64
AG
Ogre09 said:

Mathguy64 said:

You're going nello with the 6-4? And no nello outside force bid

I'm going nello with the 4-1 drawing 4s and the 4-2 as cover for the 6-4. Also covered by the 6-0 and 6-2. And voids in 3s and 5s and now 1s in case someone tosses the 1-0. I'll take that bet all day.

And in the settings for my 42 app it's my house.
Ragoo
AG
My play above would be to let someone else try and set me with the 5-5 and then Trump it with 4-1. Then lead the 4-2 to draw the 4-4. Anyone play count and I trump in the 4-6. Would make a 32 count.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
1 mark is a smart bid on a marginal hand (not a lay down), if you have six marks already.
SPF250
AG
Ogre09 said:

SPF250 said:

31, 2's trump.

I bid 31 and was going to go 6s trump, but dealer got the bid at 32. With 6s you get 4 trumps and a double, and the 4/2 off covers the 4/1 off maybe. 2s was interesting though, and maybe a better move.

This was an interesting hand for leading, but kinda sucked for defending.
With 2's as trump, it should easily suck out the 2-3. You can lose the 4-1 but can't lose the 5-0. A 1in 3 chance your partner has that thought.
mpl35
AG
Sgt. Hartman said:

1 mark is a smart bid on a marginal hand (not a lay down), if you have six marks already.
The hand above has 5 marks to 6 for his opponent....
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Ogre09 said:

What's the bid, and what's the trump here?

35 on six's.
JB!98
AG
34 in ducks. I can set some folks with that hand if I get outbid. I guess you could try and stretch it to 36 in a pinch.
RaeBooth
I like play 42 occasionally. It reminds me poker somehow. I'm not really good at gambling, however, it's very interesting for me. I must also admit that my results got better after I started to play more often. I think practice is a key to success.
Ogre09
AG
Obviously went 2 marks to win the game on this hand. But what would you call for trumps? The 6/5 is the only thing you gotta worry about. How do you best neutralize that threat?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I would go follow me. Keeps you from the small chance of getting Trump ****ed.

Eh. Changed my mind. 4s.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.