Outdoors
Sponsored by

42 Question

11,477 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mpl35
flashplayer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Ran across this hand playing 42 at Thanksgiving
Q. What's the bid?

36 where I'm from or you won't get the bid - lead the 5 out early and it's going to be a pretty high percentage winning bid. As long as it floats by without extra count, odds are heavily stacked in your favor.

35 would protect against someone hitting your double and drawing a trump from the opposing team after leading and losing the 5 blank early on.

2 mark would be a gamble there because there's too many 5s out there to be safe, but I would consider it depending on the game situation.
JB!98
AG
The Outdoors board should coordinate a 42 tournament at the Chicken during a game week or hell just a random weekend. I would travel the 3 hours for my son and I to play and get to know some of you guys.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
flashplayer said:

WestTxWood88 said:

Ran across this hand playing 42 at Thanksgiving
Q. What's the bid?

36 where I'm from or you won't get the bid - lead the 5 out early and it's going to be a pretty high percentage winning bid. As long as it floats by without extra count, odds are heavily stacked in your favor.

35 would protect against someone hitting your double and drawing a trump from the opposing team after leading and losing the blank 5 early on.

2 mark would be a gamble there because there's too many 5s out there to be safe, but I would consider it depending on the game situation.

If I was up say 5/3 I like the 36 bid. Cause as you laid out it's a pretty close to slam dunk you're gonna be laying down after you throw the 5/0, Trump back in with the 2/1 and bleed the other Trumps out.

Man I love dominoes. Can sit and play for hours. We need to get a regular mid-cities game going.
WestTxWood88
AG
I bid two marks, deuces trump. Cleared the trumps, played the doubles dragging the 5/0 behind the double five. Partner caught it with the 5:6 for the win.
flashplayer
AG
That would have earned me a "you lucky D-bag!" from both my partner and opponents
El_duderino
WestTxWood88 said:

I bid two marks, deuces trump. Cleared the trumps, played the doubles dragging the 5/0 behind the double five. Partner caught it with the 5:6 for the win.

This. Playing so much 42 in college with same partners, we pretty much knew who had what based on bid and then what they started putting on the table
WestTxWood88
AG
Genuinely surprised at some of the bids on this hand. It never crossed my mind to not bid 84. As Mr. Olden off Rock Prairie road used to say around the domino table, "I'd rather wear out than rust out".
Ol_Ag_02
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Sounds like your partner did his job. In those partner situations usually by the the second or third trick I'll have an idea on whether or not I think I have a chance to catch my partner.

If I don't, I'll just hold onto the 2/0 or roach and try to throw off the other two.
MouthBQ98
AG
We grew up playing points when I was little, but if we didn't have something to write with it or on, after school, we'd also do marks.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

We grew up playing points when I was little, but if we didn't have something to write with it or on, after school, we'd also do marks.

I've never played a points game. Seems like it would be way too hard for me to keep straight after a few hours of beer drinking.
AnSci99
Someone has the 6/5 and another 5 to protect it and could be a spoiler because there's no reason to burn the 6/5….but that's too good of a hand not to give it a shot. Plus, 1/3 shot your partner will cover that 5/0.

Such a great game.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
AnSci99 said:

Someone has the 6/5 and another 5 to protect it and could be a spoiler because there's no reason to burn the 6/5….but that's too good of a hand not to give it a shot. Plus, 1/3 shot your partner will cover that 5/0.

Such a great game.

I know. But that's why I said I only try it because you have two other doubles the 4/4 and 3/3, which have a shot to pull the missing 5/4 and 5/3, leaving only that 5/1 and 5/6 left for your Big 5.

It's a gamble for sure, but that's what makes it fun.
flashplayer
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Genuinely surprised at some of the bids on this hand. It never crossed my mind to not bid 84. As Mr. Olden off Rock Prairie road used to say around the domino table, "I'd rather wear out than rust out".

The people I play with are like rainman and will be counting 5s and 6s and protecting them on both ends the whole way through. Your only hope on a 2 mark bid on that hand is that they get distribution F'd and can't protect anything or that you hit on the 1/3 odds that your partner is the one holding two fives when the 5-5 is laid down on the 6th trick.

Don't get me wrong, I probably go for it about half the time just for fun, but it's probably not any better than a coin flip against good 42 players.
The Shank Ag
My family (14 aggies but patriarch class of '53 learned before school from his parents) plays:

Up to 84 opening bid (if not splash or plunge)
Increase by one mark subsequent
Nello at any time including doubles low
Forced 7s
The Shank Ag
Additional post to add the most frustrating hand I ever pulled a few years ago at the beach

Couldn't even bid 30, if guy to my left sees I call 5s without the double, he's either playing the double or dropping count.

WestTxWood88
AG
Bid 84 and count on your partner
The Shank Ag
WestTxWood88 said:

Bid 84 and count on your partner

So 33% chance at 2 marks… that'll get you shot in my family
Thisguy1
If I'm bidding 2 marks I'm not counting on my partner to do anything.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Additional post to add the most frustrating hand I ever pulled a few years ago at the beach

Couldn't even bid 30, if guy to my left sees I call 5s without the double, he's either playing the double or dropping count.

I call 30 up to 31 on that and say doubles are a suit of their own. Walk all six dominoes first and would bet that by the time I got to the seventh trick I've got enough points. Because someone is going to hold the 6/6 and 5/5 guaranteed. Which means that forth guy either has to give the points in his hand or hold a high double. If he gives me the points I win. If he doesn't my partner has a great chance of having the highest double left.
flashplayer
AG
Lead the 5:6 and bank on the 2/3 odds that the guy to your left doesn't have it and thinks you're being a D bag fishing for count.
The Shank Ag
Ol_Ag_02 said:

The Shank Ag said:

I call 30 up to 31 on that and say doubles are a suit of their own. Walk all six dominoes first and would bet that by the time I got to the seventh trick I've got enough points. Because someone is going to hold the 6/6 and 5/5 guaranteed. Which means that forth guy either has to give the points in his hand or hold a high double. If he gives me the points I win. If he doesn't my partner has a great chance of having the highest double left.

Star for the thought. Not sure I've ever seen doubles as a suit of their own outside of nello
The Shank Ag
flashplayer said:

Lead the 5:6 and bank on the 2/3 odds that the guy to your left doesn't have it and thinks you're being a D bag fishing for count.

Had I fished earlier in that best of 5 sets outing, I would have
WestTxWood88
AG
You are correct sir, radar will be up as soon as an 84 bid hits our table and you have to be looking for the off coming behind a double. Exactly why my partner caught the last trick - I think you take that chance every time, otherwise you're sitting and watching all night.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
flashplayer said:

This is also a fun strategy. One of the many little nuances that make this game so great.
WestTxWood88
AG
Guessing you don't see an 84 bid that often…
Thisguy1
The only times I've done doubles as a suit of their own are on nello or if I'm making doubles trumps. Don't think I've ever seen setting a trump and then saying doubles are a suit of their own as well.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Thisguy1 said:

The only times I've done doubles as a suit of their own are on nello or if I'm making doubles trumps. Don't think I've ever seen setting a trump and then saying doubles are a suit of their own as well.

I didn't set a Trump. Look at his hand. 6/5 walks. Then the rest of the 5s walk in order.

Look at the Chicken rules 1.A.i.3
The Shank Ag
WestTxWood88 said:

True, but there's a difference in having a partner that either holds the right domino or holds a decoy, and just hoping by sheer luck your 1 in 3 chance on the first trick hits. Only way I'm playing those odds are if the other team is on the pole and already bid
ldg397
AG
I don't ever play that other crap, 7's, plunge, etc just straight 42.

Never go doubles as trump always follow me your odds are better. If you can bid 42 you can make 2 marks so I never bid 42.
The Shank Ag
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Thisguy1 said:

I didn't set a Trump. Look at his hand. 6/5 walks. Then the rest of the 5s walk in order.

Either way, never seen doubles catch doubles as a non trump non nello declaration. Even if playing no trump
flashplayer
AG
The Shank Ag said:

WestTxWood88 said:

True, but there's a difference in having a partner that either holds the right domino or holds a decoy, and just hoping by sheer luck your 1 in 3 chance on the first trick hits. Only way I'm playing those odds are if the other team is on the pole and already bid

Yep. This is why half the time I'll think better of losing 2 marks on that hand and would try to get the 35/36 bid on it (probably 36). Your partner might have a pretty mixed hand and decide early on they're going full decoy mode if they don't have a couple high dominoes in the same suit. Definitely a gamble, and like I said, all 3 people at the table with me would give you crap whether you win or lose that 2 mark bid.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Thisguy1 said:

Either way, never seen doubles catch doubles as a non trump non nello declaration. Even if playing no trump

Seen it or not doesn't matter, you can call follow me; Trumps high, low, or suit of their own. You definitely could have bid on that hand.
flashplayer
AG
Yep. Have seen doubles suit of their own on follow me hands many times. Also doubles low.
Thisguy1
So you're just saying follow me but doubles are a suit of their own? That's what we're saying. I've never been able to dictate that unless going nello or making doubles trumps.
The Shank Ag
Ol_Ag_02 said:

The Shank Ag said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Thisguy1 said:

Seen it or not doesn't matter, you can call follow me; Trumps high, low, or suit of their own. You definitely could have bid on that hand.

Guess it depends on the company. I'd have no problem with it, those I play with are quick to not allow something nobody has seen/heard of in a situation before. Family/house rules definitely outweigh chicken/competition rules

In the company I was in (cousins/uncles) I'd probably be told "nope, and we are reshuffling"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.