Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rattle Can Paint Jobs

19,008 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by AvsB
JB!98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

I've carried a gun for a living most of my life, and I've never needed anything other than black. Guess that's why I was asking. I'm leaning towards it.
It's just fun! I am 51 and have always been a purist when it comes to guns. I decided to rattle can one of my AR's 7-8 years ago and I found it very satisfying. I have done all the rest of them and a long range gun now. It just adds to the lego nature of the AR platform.

I also would have no problem buying one that was rattle canned. You can always change it.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
JB!98
AG
You can also do long guns.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
BenderRodriguez
AG
I do wonder how many sneering at rattlecanning also wear expensive hunting camo on their 50 yard walk to the deer stand to shoot over a feeder.
javajaws
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I do wonder how many sneering at rattlecanning also wear expensive hunting camo on their 50 yard walk to the deer stand to shoot over a feeder.

Under(armour) rated post.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
tandy miller
AG
JB!98 said:

tandy miller said:

I just did the stuff that would be easy to swap for now. I want to see how it holds up and wears before I do the whole thing

You have essentially just "Put in the tip." Go ahead and go all the way. The wear gives it some character and can always be touched up. AR's I think are meant to be rattle caned. They just look better to me, it gives them an identity. Just do the whole damn thing and work on it from there.

FJB
tandy miller
AG
How long do I need to wait to shoot them?
FJB
Burdizzo
AG
tandy miller said:

If you don't want finger prints in the paint or paint on your hands, I would wait for it to dry.
dubi
AG
tandy miller said:

In this humidity I'd wait 5-7 days.
JB!98
AG
tandy miller said:

JB!98 said:

tandy miller said:

I just did the stuff that would be easy to swap for now. I want to see how it holds up and wears before I do the whole thing

You have essentially just "Put in the tip." Go ahead and go all the way. The wear gives it some character and can always be touched up. AR's I think are meant to be rattle caned. They just look better to me, it gives them an identity. Just do the whole damn thing and work on it from there.

Feels good to finally go all the way, doesn't it! Looks good.
tandy miller
AG
Thanks. You were right- balls deep feels a lot better than just the tip!!
FJB
JB!98
AG
tandy miller said:

Thanks. You were right- balls deep feels a lot better than just the tip!!
tandy miller
AG
Can you spray paint a stainless barrel?
FJB
BenderRodriguez
AG

Caliber
AG
The gold is missing...
BenderRodriguez
AG
Its drying
BenderRodriguez
AG
Caliber said:

The gold is missing...

Burdizzo
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Caliber said:

The gold is missing...

It's a bit James Bond Villain-ish for me.

Caliber
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Caliber said:

The gold is missing...

There we go!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Yall are disturbed for giving the gold mag more stars than the paint job above it.

Anyway, did my MCX too….

javajaws
AG
Burdizzo said:

tandy miller said:

If you don't want finger prints in the paint or paint on your hands, I would wait for it to dry.
I'm also a big fan of not leaving fingerprints on the guns I shoot!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
BenderRodriguez
AG
tk111
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Caliber said:

The gold is missing...

Looks more like... "Your boat is mine now! This boat belong to me!"
tandy miller
AG
tandy miller said:

FJB
JB!98
AG
tandy miller said:

tandy miller said:

I have never tried it. I have a feeling for some reason that you would not get the adhesion that you are looking for. I would find a piece of stainless and do a test.
tandy miller
AG
That's what I was afraid of. The upper I want has a stainless barrel. I wonder how hard it would be to take the hand guard off so I could tape up the barrel to paint?
FJB
JB!98
AG
tandy miller said:

That's what I was afraid of. The upper I want has a stainless barrel. I wonder how hard it would be to take the hand guard off so I could tape up the barrel to paint?
I think the finish coupled with the barrel heat would make it peel. I could be 100% wrong though. You should not have a problem getting the hand guard off.
javajaws
AG
Just because it's stainless doesn't mean it won't stick. If it's polished stainless it might flake easier - you could always rough it up with a Scotchbrite pad to improve adhesion though. Some stainless barrels are not polished on the outside and can have a rough/matte texture.
Pinochet
tandy miller said:

If it's an AR handguard, it should be pretty easy to remove. Couple Allen heads. Some have two you have to loosen and a third you actually tighten to spread it open. Just be gentle.
tandy miller
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Did these 2 with a combo of netting and painters tape a few years ago. Held up great and have been run through the ringer!

Can you explain colors/process for gun in first pic? I might do my Grendel similarly
FJB
AggieArcher17
AG
Took forever, but basically just start with a solid color coating and let it dry, then add whatever sticker, in this case we tore up painters tape in random shapes and stuck them all over, then spray another layer in a different color. Do it 2-3x then spray the whole thing one solid color, let it dry and start peeling off stickers to unveil the final product. It's pretty cool, keep in mind that the last color you spray everything with will be the main color of the gun. Once I pulled all the stickers off and knew it was dry I hit it with a clear coat and 6 years later it's still holding up reasonably well despite being my truck/utv bounce around rife.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Well Tandy I'll test mule it for you.

Rattlecanned my stainless 20" grendel and my run and gun 5.56.

We will see how the rattlecan holds up on the stainless. Worse case I'll just go back and hit the barrel with high temp paint to see if that holds any better.

suburban cowboy
AG
all of these look terrible except for Bender's
BenderRodriguez
AG
suburban cowboy said:

all of these look terrible except for Bender's

You take that back and call mine trash right now
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
And now I'm thinking a gold and silver "camo" game gun could be fun…
AgEng98

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.