Outdoors
Sponsored by

My dog growled at my wife

25,795 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bpriefert
Noname124398
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Choke slam the dog without hesitation if she growls again (srs). Neck = kill shot in the dog world. Asserts dominance without injury unlike a kick to the ribs.

Also, a bark/growl when being woken up is likely not a dominance issue in my opinion. Ever been woken up from a dream where it took you a second to snap back to reality? That is not a unique feature of humans only.

Remember, she (the dog) is a ***** (B word). That word got its current, more popular connotation for a reason. Also not a unique feature of female humans only.
shalackin
AG
RDV-1992 said:

shalackin said:

is your wife hot or wealthy? If not........................................... opportunity awaits!

Actually she's both.

Kill that damn dog!!!
jvanbeek
AG
RDV-1992 said:

The dog was on the bed - she had curled up in the pillows. My wife was getting into the bed and pushed/tried to push her aside. That's when the dog growled. I've heard her growl in bed previously, but it was never at a person. Maybe at a cat, or some random scent? Idk.

Sorry I don't have a ton of time to follow this discussion. I'll try to check back in tonight.
This is understandable. I have a mutt that was once a rescue. If I touch him while he is sleeping, he instinctively jumps up, growling and snapping. Once awake, he is quiet. He hasn't hurt me, but does snap menacingly in my direction for a moment as a warning. It is simply instinctual to be prepared to defend oneself. As long as they don't follow through with an attack once they have their senses about them, I would not be too concerned.
Jim VanBeek '85, '99
Sailor
mandevilleag
I will reiterate what a few others have said. This appears to be a dominance issue. A stubborn, large dog focused only on the alpha (you), should not be allowed on the furniture or especially the bed. That's where the alphas sleep. I doubt the dog was sleeping when this happened. If your wife was getting ready for bed, going through a routine, the dog was likely awake. It simply was displaying its dominance when your wife tried to move it from its dominant position. Put the dog in its place at the bottom of the pecking order. This will involve your wife and kids working the dog in discipline exercises. Your wife shouldn't be intimidated by your dog. Here's one of the better books I've seen about establishing dominance.

https://www.amazon.com/Leader-Pack-Nancy-Baer/dp/0061010197
TRADUCTOR
Trusting a pit mix walnut size brain to make the right decision every timelol.
mosdefn14
AG
Rattler12
Any of you pit bull non aficionados also feel the same about "mountain cedars?" I coulda sure used some help over on the tree slaughter thread....the trashin I got was brutal
aggieforester05
AG
I have a boxer lab mix that growls when she's jealous or wanting attention. She has some anxiety and destruction issues, but is in no way violent or aggressive. I wouldn't take every instance of growling as aggression.
Gilligan
AG
Page 4 and the dog is still alive?

sigh...
oragator
My two cents

Only you know your dog and what's best for your family, but a dog getting territorial like that isn't that big a deal outside of training needs IMO: I've had dogs so that to me, including a German Shepard that could have ripped me in half, I never took it that seriously, I understood what was happening. Had it wanted to hurt her it could have done so and didn't.
If you decide to get rid of it there's also the pound as opposed to putting it down straight away. If you are honest about the situation.
RDV-1992
So, as an update Hilda (my dog) is going to be evaluated on Friday for some additional training. If so we will go with training. If not I'll be back to my original quandary.
duddleysdraw88
AG
If you are using rgr........ you can trust you will get an educated, thorough, and honest opinion!
txagbear
Dang. Our poodle growls when I kick him over at night. Never thought about killing him for it
Tagguy
AG
Quote:

The breed matters.
Wife or dog?
DirtDiver
Take the pit to your local probation officer. I think there's a show about these dogs training parolees.
CSTXAg92
AG
AggieOO said:

KT_Ag08 said:

If this was a kid and not your wife it wouldn't even be the same discussion. It's no different.

My dog growled at my 2.5 year old about an hour ago. My daughter was hitting him with a Tupperware lid. Guess who got in trouble...it wasn't the dog.

Context is everything. The dog was voicing his displeasure with being hit with a plastic lid. He wasn't being aggressive.

If the OP had left the breed off his post, I'd guess he'd be getting some different responses. Either that or I I'm going to have a bunch of people telling me I need to put down my 9 year old weim, who has never bitten either of my kids.

You and I disagree. No dog in my house will growl at any human family member - LET ALONE MY 2.5 yr OLD - and not receive a SEVERE reprimand. In my home, humans are the pack, and the dog can be a member of the pack, but can never challenge a human without consequence.
MisterShipWreck
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article252299968.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newscentermaine.com/amp/article/news/local/dog-shot-killed-by-lewiston-maine-police-after-attacking-71-year-old-woman/97-720142c6-e196-40c4-8da1-0329e06dd44e

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tallahassee.com/amp/6578643002

Don't let your wife be another story.
03_Aggie
CSTXAg92 said:

You and I disagree. No dog in my house will growl at any human family member - LET ALONE MY 2.5 yr OLD - and not receive a SEVERE reprimand. In my home, humans are the pack, and the dog can be a member of the pack, but can never challenge a human without consequence.

Maybe he tends to think of himself as a one-man wolf pack.

CS78
But he was a good dog. Reminds me of the defense of hoodlums that attack.
AggieOO
CSTXAg92 said:

AggieOO said:

KT_Ag08 said:

If this was a kid and not your wife it wouldn't even be the same discussion. It's no different.

My dog growled at my 2.5 year old about an hour ago. My daughter was hitting him with a Tupperware lid. Guess who got in trouble...it wasn't the dog.

Context is everything. The dog was voicing his displeasure with being hit with a plastic lid. He wasn't being aggressive.

If the OP had left the breed off his post, I'd guess he'd be getting some different responses. Either that or I I'm going to have a bunch of people telling me I need to put down my 9 year old weim, who has never bitten either of my kids.

good for you.
Rattler12
CS78 said:

But he was a good dog. Reminds me of the defense of hoodlums that attack.
And he was going to go to college....
AgDad121619
AG
03_Aggie said:

powerbelly said:

AggieOO said:

We can agree to disagree.

IMO, it's the individual dog, not necessarily the breed. I've seen aggressive dogs across all breeds, and also known lots of pits that were docile. But I know I won't change your mind, so go ahead and roll your eyes.

The breed matters. Different breeds have different abilities to cause harm. I have a Rottweiler and the first time he is aggressive towards my family will be the last. Pittbulls are no different.

What about labs? He said it is part pit and part lab? Maybe it's like 5% pit and 95% lab.
doubt OP leads with dog is pit mix if it mostly Lab - if pit portion wasn't already on his mind he would have just said Mutt. He knows the answer before he even asked becasue it had pit Bull in it
Post removed:
by user
Wildman15
AG
I'm just here to be a part of history. OB cranking out some great content
&ct=g
Rattler12
Long way to go before it reaches "Slaughtered Tree" status
RDV-1992
Another update. Met with the trainer today. It's not a sure thing, but sounds positive that Hilda can have some in person training. If it occurs it will happen in mid july.
Wodanaz
AG
RDV-1992 said:

Another update. Met with the trainer today. It's not a sure thing, but sounds positive that Hilda can have some in person training. If it occurs it will happen in mid july.

We're gonna need a pic of the dog and/or wife to keep this party going.
Post removed:
by user
Wildman15
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Who names their dog or wife Hilda?
Given your username...
BuddysBud
AG
AgDad121619 said:

03_Aggie said:

powerbelly said:

AggieOO said:

We can agree to disagree.

IMO, it's the individual dog, not necessarily the breed. I've seen aggressive dogs across all breeds, and also known lots of pits that were docile. But I know I won't change your mind, so go ahead and roll your eyes.

The breed matters. Different breeds have different abilities to cause harm. I have a Rottweiler and the first time he is aggressive towards my family will be the last. Pittbulls are no different.

What about labs? He said it is part pit and part lab? Maybe it's like 5% pit and 95% lab.
doubt OP leads with dog is pit mix if it mostly Lab - if pit portion wasn't already on his mind he would have just said Mutt. He knows the answer before he even asked becasue it had pit Bull in it

Since American bull terrier was one of the most common breeds throughout much of the 20th century, most mutts or mixes probably have some bull terrier. The RCA dog is a breed that is now considered a pit bull.
Post removed:
by user
Seriously77
me thinks trainer will be training alright......
Wodanaz
AG
Has your wife pissed on Hilda's head yet? The bomb dog handler from my dojo said this was the key to success.

Please report back with results.
Chipotlemonger
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Dog just growled at me playing tug of war, better load up the shotgun.

Lost it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.