Outdoors
Sponsored by

My dog growled at my wife

25,709 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bpriefert
ChemEAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
StoneCold99 said:

Jesus, what a weird thread filled with internet tough guys.

I dunno, I thought it was a pretty amusing one.
tandy miller
AG
Rattler12 said:

03_Aggie said:

Rattler12 said:

RDV-1992 said:

Thank you - I appreciate you taking Hilda on!

To all of the pit haters: I get it. But I'd like to challenge you to go to austin pets alive or any other big city, no kill pound and just look at the dogs there. I'd say the population there is at least 80% pit or pit mixes. The rest are rots, dobermans, and other aggressive or powerful breeds. These dogs need homes. I don't know that I'll get another pit mix after hilda. But I'll say that I love hilda and it was a blessing when I got her.

Sorry but IMHO the 80% representing the breeds you named are there for a reason and I would suspect that reason to be they have been aggressive. Any one taking one of these breads home from a pound as a family pet is playing with fire. See the "little girl/rattlesnake" story above...did you have Hilda before you married your wife?

Good lord. Not sure how dogs aren't ruling the world by now.
Please explain how my OPINION translates to dogs ruling the world ?

My dog rules my house.
FJB
Broncos
RDV-1992 said:

I don't know.
I'm late to this thread, but...

How do you not know any context to the original question you asked? Did you and your wife even discuss the growling incident? You came to an internet forum to ask for advice on something you didn't even have all the information on.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have definitely asked what led up to the incident and what happened after. From what you've said, you were gone and the dog was on the bed when it growled. I'll also say that the dog has likely been stressed since you're in the process of moving (not an excuse but a factor).

The big question is, what happened immediately after the dog growled? Did it cower down as if it were surprised to find out it was your wife? Did it hop up to an aggressive stance? For all we know, the dog was sleeping on the bed and your wife quietly entered the bedroom and startled the dog who was already on high alert mode since the dominant parent in the house is gone. If the dog cowered, immediately began licking your wife, or laid back down this entire thread was pointless.
Geop84
AG
RDV-1992 said:

I thought I had provided all of the information I have. The dog was on the bed. My wife was getting into the bed to go to sleep. That's when the growl happened. That's all I know.
Don't allow the dog on the bed.
Gilligan
AG
Like Tandy said, our pup is the Queen of Sheba in our house and everyone knows it including the four legged family member that is technically a dog.

she's earns her title daily and has never growled in anger or bitten anyone. She's five.

Is the OPs dog still alive?
Wildman15
AG
Anyone else starting to think of conspiracy theories???

Dude was out of town

Wife got into bed

Dog growled at her, absolutely no other context given from wife to husband

Dog is husbands best friend

Do the math..........
Broncos
Wildman15
AG
&ct=g
Broncos
At this point the poor pup may deserve a better owner.
The Lost
I'm not reading through all this because I agree with the context comments, has anyone asked the dogs size? Wife's knockers size?

Our 50 lb pit/dachshund mix couldn't hurt a teenager (and is also the best boy mentioned in this thread)
BusterAg
AG
Statistics:

#1 animal killer of humans? Deer. They are not small, have antlers, and do a lot of damage to a person's face when they come through your windshield at 65 mph on a backroad at 5am in the morning.

#2 animal killer of humans? Hippos. These guys are *******s. Big, fat *******s. F'm.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
rootube
AG
There are no bad hippos. Just bad hippo owners. Have you tried choke slamming your shelter pit/hippo mix?
Satellite of Love
RDV-1992 said:

I was out of town, so I didn't see it happen. But my wife said my dog Hilda growled at her, and she was scared.

I'm struggling with this because I love my dog, but can't have her scaring my wife.

Dog in question is a roughly 5 to 6 year old pit mix who is powerful, super stubborn and completely focused on me, but that is not violent. I've heard her growl at our cats, but the cats ignore her (they share a water bowl, sleep next to each other, etc.). I think she picked it up in the pound - she has barking displays with some other dogs, but when actually confronted she runs and cowers.

I think I either need to have the dog put to sleep, or arrange so that she is always at a kennel when I go out of town.

Opinions?
I found your blind spot.
Bassmaster
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Pretty simple.

If the wife wants the dog gone, bye bye.

You marry your spouse, you don't marry animals. One is for life, one is for at absolute maximum 20 years.

We have a blue merle sheltie (Mr. Merle Waggard). 25 pounds of love and energy. I love him to death and would protect him from any harm be it human or animal. But he does something that makes my wife uncomfortable enough to say he has to go, he's gone. He gets aggressive with her or my toddler, he's gone. You can love animals, but your family always comes first.

It is not as black and white as you make it. That is longer than most marriages.
Badace52
AG
#1 animal killer of humans is humans and it isn't close.

(Around 400,000 homicides alone/year and that doesn't include car accidents and other accidental deaths)

Alternatively #1 could be mosquitoes in an indirect fashion.

(Approximately 1 million deaths from mosquito borne illness yearly)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txagbear
Bassmaster said:

The Shank Ag said:

Pretty simple.

If the wife wants the dog gone, bye bye.

You marry your spouse, you don't marry animals. One is for life, one is for at absolute maximum 20 years.

We have a blue merle sheltie (Mr. Merle Waggard). 25 pounds of love and energy. I love him to death and would protect him from any harm be it human or animal. But he does something that makes my wife uncomfortable enough to say he has to go, he's gone. He gets aggressive with her or my toddler, he's gone. You can love animals, but your family always comes first.

It is not as black and white as you make it. That is longer than most marriages.
Tell your wife to stand up to this tiny sheltie. Sounds like you problem
Wildman15
AG
It's been 24 hours. I stand by my theory. Dog stays. Wife goes.
txrancher69
AG
Enough already, just settle this thing. Either shoot the dog or the wife. Make a decision and tell the board.
Sea Speed
AG
Or both and hop on a train in your new life as a hobo
78_Pacecar
AG
At this point why don't you post a picture of the dog, and another of the wife and let the group vote on which to keep?

Based on the "quality" of the picture you provide could lend some insight into your subconscious choice.
Bpriefert
You mean personality traits and characteristics behavior vary among breeds? Isn't that racist?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.